Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I love this.

Company 1 got back to me. Here was their initial offer:
Base: $115k
Bonus: 10%
RSUs: $80k with a 1 year cliff and a 3 year vesting period. This is public stock so I can actually sell it.
ESPP: Lowest price in the last 6 months - 15% and I can lock it in for 2 years.
401k Match: 4%

I pushed back and said the base salary was too low and that I needed something like $130k and the $10k signing bonus because I'm walking away from an EOY bonus at Company 0. She says she'll get back to me. She calls me back 10 minutes later saying, "Just so we're on the same page, this is what I'm going to push them for:"

Base $120k
RSUs: $97k
Signing Bonus: $10k

If she succeeds, my negotiation will have netted me $32k more money. I will :justpost: if I get good news by EOD. Company 2 can't loving compete even if they deliver on what I asked them for. Company 0 can't possibly pay me enough at this point. My final gross for Year 1 at Company 1 with just the initial offer is already $156k before accounting for ESPP and the 401k match plus 90% chance they come back with a higher offer in some way. It seems like a slam dunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Congrats!

I just got off the phone from my offer.

120k base with the approximate 14-28% bonus.

From everything I've heard from people who work there the bonus is fairly certain.

My current is 122k but now I won't have to travel and the 5% bonus i got this year was pretty bad. Plus 1.5% 401k match is laughable, new place offers 7% match plus another 3% as "pension".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not being billable is your fault though, you're supposed to move heaven and earth to get billable

the thing that you're ignoring is a) criteria for achieving at level and the likelihood of getting grade at level and b) the risk factor that your company just decides to not pay out bonuses at all. risk factor b is virtually nonexistent in consulting.

edit: your bonus at new job is just as likely (if not more!) to be based on absolutely ridiculous measures that are out of your control.

Yeah I don't think I'm cut out for consulting. I consider my job to be doing what I went to school for. Not trying to find work for the company. And I don't see a reason for the people I asked about the bonuses to lie or exaggerate. They're family friends and have no vested interest in me working for the company.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 27, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'd value not needing to deal with airports and airlines at >2k so congrats even w/o any bonuses.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I plugged all the numbers of each offer and outcome into a spreadsheet and even the initial offer from Company 1 here is better than literally the best case scenario from Company 0 that I originally pushed them for. Company 2 got back to me and held firm against my counter, so once Company 1 gets back to me I can basically accept whatever they send me because the base offer is a $31k improvement over my current situation.

NEVER DON'T NEGOTIATE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2DvmHusyk4

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 27, 2019

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

should be in the op imo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not being billable is your fault though, you're supposed to move heaven and earth to get billable

the thing that you're ignoring is a) criteria for achieving at level and the likelihood of getting grade at level and b) the risk factor that your company just decides to not pay out bonuses at all. risk factor b is virtually nonexistent in consulting.

edit: your bonus at new job is just as likely (if not more!) to be based on absolutely ridiculous measures that are out of your control.

Not being billable at big 4 is your fault at M and above. Not below.

Big 4 consulting bonuses are wildly variable based on all kinds of poo poo outside your control, especially at lower levels.

Last year I received close to 30% while a coworker who honestly was very good received less than 5. The difference is that a pursuit I worked on was successful. And like I’m part of the reason but also I just got lucky. It’s nonsense.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Company 1 accepted all the terms of my counter and I accepted their offer.

Final Numbers:
Company 0 -
Salary: $110k
Bonus: 12.5%
Next Year's Final Value: ~$128k

Company 1 -
Salary: $120k
RSUs: $97k (1 year cliff and a 3 year total vesting period)
ESPP: 10% of base worth of stock at the lowest price in the last 6 months - 15%
Next Year's Final Value: ~$180k

Total value of negotiation:
$52k

ALWAYS
BE
NEGOTIATING

Edit: I mean I guess the signing bonus counts for this year but who cares it's still an assload of money!!!
Edit2: The difference from their original offer and the final offer was still $21k so my point still stands!!! I'm stupid excited don't @ me!!!

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 28, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is seriously my favorite thread. Congrats Hoodwinker!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Hoodwinker posted:

Company 1 accepted all the terms of my counter and I accepted their offer.

Final Numbers:
Company 0 -
Salary: $110k
Bonus: 12.5%
Next Year's Final Value: ~$128k

Company 1 -
Salary: $120k
RSUs: $97k (1 year cliff and a 3 year total vesting period)
ESPP: 10% of base worth of stock at the lowest price in the last 6 months - 15%
Next Year's Final Value: ~$180k

Total value of negotiation:
$52k

ALWAYS
BE
NEGOTIATING

Edit: I mean I guess the signing bonus counts for this year but who cares it's still an assload of money!!!
Edit2: The difference from their original offer and the final offer was still $21k so my point still stands!!! I'm stupid excited don't @ me!!!

:clint:

Whatever level of aloofness you radiated at Company 1, sincere or otherwise, certainly helped you win. Congrats on the win!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

:clint:

Whatever level of aloofness you radiated at Company 1, sincere or otherwise, certainly helped you win. Congrats on the win!
The crazy part to me is that if I had actually put the original offer numbers down and looked at them I probably wouldn't have had the chutzpah to push back on the salary number as much as I did. I didn't even ask for more RSUs or impress the signing bonus on them, that was all the recruiter coming back and being like, "But what if we sweeten the pot?" So yeah, aloofness is absolutely always the right call even if you're completely panicking on the inside.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just verbally accepted my offer.

Current job:
121k base
5% average bonus
6.5% 401k, vested over 5 years (I only have 1 year of vest right now)
15 vacation, 10 holidays, "unlimited" sick days (but it impacts your utilization, which impacts your bonus)
4 weeks paternity
Consulting and the travel/hours associated with it

New job:
120k base
14% average bonus
10% 401k vested over 2 years
20 vacation, 10 holidays 10, sick days
2 weeks paternity
Industry job, on Forbes list of top 100 places to work

Overall everything except paternity and base pay are better. I think the overall intangibles are quite a bit better. On the phone they didn't give me a hard number but said they're looking to pay around 100k, I said I'm looking for 130 ish and they ended up offering 120 officially. I don't think I negotiated very hard but I'm very happy with where I ended up.

So I suppose I still need to wait until I sign the official offer before I give notice? I already feel super checked out at work but I know that's the responsible thing to do.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah don't give notice until offer is signed and references or background check is done.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Giving up $1k for 5 PTO days is well worth it. I used to be able to buy PTO and it was way more expensive than that (basically your hourly pay rate times 40). Nice job man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
glad to see people getting paid itt

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Yeah don't give notice until offer is signed and references or background check is done.

Huh so it turns out the company does verbal offers? They're sending me a letter for my records but there's nothing to sign just a verbal confirmation I gave over the phone. That seems kind of weird. But I'm starting in 3 weeks and I'm excited!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

Huh so it turns out the company does verbal offers? They're sending me a letter for my records but there's nothing to sign just a verbal confirmation I gave over the phone. That seems kind of weird. But I'm starting in 3 weeks and I'm excited!

Uhhhhhhh

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've been to their campus. It's 4+ enormous buildings with thousands of people. This just seems like a weird quirk of their HR? I'm getting finger printed etc. next week.

Or maybe I have outstanding warrants I don't know about and this is a very elaborate way to bring me in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't think that's a weird quirk i think that's straight up bad practice and shady

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Shhh, let him find out the hard way a few months from now that any compensation not guaranteed in writing doesn't exist

e: What exactly is in the letter they sent you for your records? I'm real curious to see that letter (redacted of course)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a quirk is like "the offer letter is in Comic Sans" or "we want to take a welcome photo of you to share with the staff in one of those things for kids where they poke their head through a hole so it looks like they're a giraffe"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm waiting for the official offer letter to come through from the parent company and I'm pretty sure my jaw could bite through rebar at the moment.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just received my letter. For those of you who are curious, it just looks like a standard offer. Has my annual base pay, bonus range, leave, 401k, and pension amounts. And then follow up instructions on when to show up for the first day and an online onboarding link. It's basically the same as any other offer letter I've received minus a place to sign.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

...can you sign it anyway, send it back, request a counter signature? Like, what the poo poo.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

What additional leverage would having some random HR drone sign the letter provide? It's not an employment contract, they can still rescind it or change it on you at the last minute anyway.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

With verbal offers send an IMMEDIATE email back to them with all key terms and asking them to let you know if anything is NOT correct.

May as well prepare yourself for the inevitable litigation, after all.

E: if you’re done negotiating and already accepting, then state that you’re accepting too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I have the entire offer in writing with all my comp details. They just aren't asking me to sign it. Even if I do sign it, they can just fire me immediately anyways right? It's at will employment. Like what Droo said, I'm not sure what a signature would add. But I am also not a lawyer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's more if anything goes haywire later, they can't say "you made that up, we clearly didn't sign it" or whatever.

I'm also not a lawyer though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"I will be more comfortable with a traditional co-signed offer letter." If that's what makes them drop you you're dodging a bullet, I think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's still weird as hell but I'm pretty sure as long as he has the offer in writing he's fine as far as the possibility of them later saying "nope we never offered you that" is concerned.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's still weird as hell but I'm pretty sure as long as he has the offer in writing he's fine as far as the possibility of them later saying "nope we never offered you that" is concerned.

yeah agreed

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

silvergoose posted:

It's more if anything goes haywire later, they can't say "you made that up, we clearly didn't sign it" or whatever.

I'm also not a lawyer though.
IANAL, but signing it doesn't really do anything. A judge or other reasonable person isn't going to look at it and say, well it wasn't signed so get hosed. They're going to assume the details in the e-mail were extended in good faith.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I agree. It gives you roughly the same protection as a signed offer letter (which is to say, not much, but maybe a promissory estoppel claim if they yank your offer after you incur expenses to move or something). Signed or unsigned, it's not an employment agreement and you're still at-will once you've accepted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also in most parts of america an offer letter is in no way binding on either party xD

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This is uncomfortable is spot on about why you need to do what you need to do to get paid. Worth it to give a listen.

https://www.marketplace.org/shows/this-is-uncomfortable-reema-khrais/f-you-pay-me/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s good but unless I misheard something (she intentionally asked for less than the really high number she knew some other people made?) it feels like that first woman left money on the table and is perpetuating the cycle with her younger coworkers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s good but unless I misheard something (she intentionally asked for less than the really high number she knew some other people made?) it feels like that first woman left money on the table and is perpetuating the cycle with her younger coworkers.

I thought the same and scrolled back. She asked for $10k more than the guys who responded to her told her they made. So she actually was really smart. But I had to listen to it a second time because I completely heard the same thing as you.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hi thraed. I am going for a job where as part of the loving application process they have an obligatory question regarding your "expected salary". It's at the bottom of this reply because I have plat but no patience for imgur.

Last time I applied to this place it was a series of checkboxes and I picked a $30k range that I figured would be at least in the ballpark. This time though it's "pick one and gently caress you". Thing is, it's in a country of which I'm a citizen but haven't lived in, and I read an article recently saying companies were more reluctant to hire returning expats (which I kind of fall under), one reason being they have higher salary expectations.

I make a good salary now and would like to pick the raw exchanged figure, but know that the salaries are lower there than here. Also I'm OK with making a little less in the short-term since it would at least get me over there with an income stream instead of using our prepared savings while I look around. Also also it's a company (publicly owned org) that I'd like to work for in a city that I'd love to live in.

Should I pick the range I want? Or just pick the lowest (comedy) option to force them to have no real idea of my expectation? Or something else? I'm really not sure what the best move is here.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Well that'll teach me to attach files before I start typing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Weatherman posted:

I'm really not sure what the best move is here.
The best move would be not to play, unless you really really want that job at that company. Or circumvent the application form by networking and dropping off your application at one of the people you know and are working there already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Or just pick the lowest (comedy) option to force them to have no real idea of my expectation?

I'd do this one, unless you really want the job, in which case I'd still pick (at least) the one that aligns to your current salary. Just because an article said some companies there are cheap doesn't mean you should lower your expectations.