Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Videogame guns should be stupid loud. I think the biggest culprit is Doom 3. All I remember about that game is how low impact the guns are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

titanfall 2 is a really good game that I'm really struggling to enjoy because you can't turn down the sound of bullets and they're real loving loud (and you fire a lot of them) and its very distracting and also I like the kane voice actor so far so I dont want to turn it down :(

one of the best parts of Titanfall 2 is how loud it is, everything is just big as gently caress and it's really a shame EA put no faith in it because it's way more fun than any Battlefield since 3 AND had a great singleplayer game

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
battlefield is garbage now and has been for several releases. not sure if this is unpopular but there it is

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is Tit and Fail 2 worth it if I only care about single player. I heard it's short but really good so maybe I should pick it up during a sale?

E: Also, my personal opinion is that every game needs to rip off Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and let you paint on poo poo directly from the game. Just look what I helped my Nephew do to my ship the other day.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 3, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Titanfall 2's singleplayer is worth a sale price for sure, no question. It really is that good. Fun story, good gameplay, and if you feel like shooting some people in multiplayer you're ready to at least do a bit of damage once it's over, especially if it's on sale and there are some other newbies showing up to spar with.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Pretty sure I got Ground Zeroes for free on PS+ shortly after the proper MGS5 was released.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Videogame guns should be stupid loud. I think the biggest culprit is Doom 3. All I remember about that game is how low impact the guns are.

It puzzles me every time when a first person shooter doesn't get this right. It's such an important part of solid gunplay. Doom 1 was nearly perfect on that part, Doom 2 knocked it out of the park with both the sound and the impact of the double barreled/super shotgun. Doom 3 had guns that sounded like a wet fart, and allthough iD did so much in regard to pixel-perfect hit-detection, the guns simply didn't have any oomph to it. Heck, even with the awesome Doom 2016 id still struggles to make the plasmagun as good as it was in Doom 1 and 2 (mostly due to the super loud sound plus the impact it had).

Rage 1 had pretty good gunplay, with most of the weapons having a good sound and impact, but only "most". It also had guns that felt like pea shooters.

Destiny managed it quite well, IIRC, the guns and the gunplay felt good (allthough I only played it for ten hours or so).

tl;dr: if you make a first person shooter, make sure that the actual shooting feels good!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Wrong because Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2 and Revengeance all exist. VR Missions were pretty good too.

i love MGS VR missions. I never played any of those other games though they look dumb

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They dont look dumb, they are dumb

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

revengeance ain't dumb, its a really fun japanese sword man game. Its silly but its really well done.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

ghost babel is the best metal gear game purely based on how drat good it looks for a gameboy color game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flimf posted:

ghost babel is the best metal gear game purely based on how drat good it looks for a gameboy color game

I've got to be honest: I don't remember any bad-looking games on the Nintendo Game Boy Colour portable computer system :thunk: (It's possible I've just blocked the awful ones.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The GBC Bionic Commander game kicked rear end. The animation was surprisingly smooth for a GB game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIJ4mR0xvs

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

veni veni veni posted:

Are we talking about Big Boss that was on a motorcycle tour of the US? or Big Boss that was a medic on the helicopter where the 14 year old peasant girl who was actually a 27 year old secret agent had a bomb implanted in her stomach that was successfully removed but then she had a bomb in her pussy too and that blew up the helicopter and hurt him so they gave him plastic surgery to look like Big Boss so he could live as him for his whole life?

Only spoilered cause there are 2 people playing the game right now posting itt.

As I mentioned previously MGS V was the first one I played and I looked up stuff on Wikipedia to try to understand the basic plot, so I read and knew about all of that stuff above without realizing it was this giant twist ending of the entire game. Oops!

It was still a blast to play though and I surprised myself by putting in around 150 hours towards it despite not caring at all about the plot.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The plot in MGSV has barely any relation to the rest of the games anyway, and the gameplay is great, so its a really good standalone thing imo

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've got to be honest: I don't remember any bad-looking games on the Nintendo Game Boy Colour portable computer system :thunk: (It's possible I've just blocked the awful ones.)

you know what? im gonna go ahead and agree with you, because i dont remember anything particulary bad looking either.
The gbc was a great system

unpopular opinion: the goose game looks like it's fun for exactly 5 minutes and then just boring forever

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Flimf posted:

unpopular opinion: the goose game looks like it's fun for exactly 5 minutes and then just boring forever

Nah, now that the novelty value has worn off, more and more people are coming to the conclusion that it's just a really slow/boring stealth game with zero stakes. This is the correct opinion.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

abigserve posted:

battlefield is garbage now and has been for several releases. not sure if this is unpopular but there it is

It was all downhill after BF1942

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Away all Goats posted:

It was all downhill after BF1942

I dunno, Vietnam added fly able bombs helicopters.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Flimf posted:

you know what? im gonna go ahead and agree with you, because i dont remember anything particulary bad looking either.

I find it crazy that we nearly had a version of Resident Evil 1 on the GBC. I feel like the people who worked on it should get an award of some kind, even though it never released.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hobo Clown posted:

As I mentioned previously MGS V was the first one I played and I looked up stuff on Wikipedia to try to understand the basic plot, so I read and knew about all of that stuff above without realizing it was this giant twist ending of the entire game. Oops!

It was still a blast to play though and I surprised myself by putting in around 150 hours towards it despite not caring at all about the plot.

I watched literally all of the cutscenes on youtube when the game came out because I wasn't expecting to ever play it and I wanted to know what the big twist was that was making everyone so mad. Then a few months later it was cheap so I got it, then got Ground Zeroes a month or so after that, GZ Snake ended up giving me the uncanny valley "not my Snake" feeling that everyone else probably got from Phantom Pain Snake

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

HJE-Cobra posted:

I find it crazy that we nearly had a version of Resident Evil 1 on the GBC. I feel like the people who worked on it should get an award of some kind, even though it never released.

wow, i have never seen that before. it looks pretty incredible.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lodin posted:

Is Tit and Fail 2 worth it if I only care about single player. I heard it's short but really good so maybe I should pick it up during a sale?

E: Also, my personal opinion is that every game needs to rip off Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and let you paint on poo poo directly from the game. Just look what I helped my Nephew do to my ship the other day.

I dunno do you like loud fuckin bullets with no way to change their volume relatively?? If so yes it is very good

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I know I’m fixated on this but it seems like such a huge detail to completely forget that in the single player. Multiplayer has sliders that don’t do poo poo for single player. It’s very dumb

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Echoing that it is short but a ton of fun.

The enemy AI is a bit wonky though, not in the way that they interact with you, but in that you can actually just run past all the enemies in most levels and they barely give chase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0F_2XadXhg

Also as awesome as the multiplayer is, at this point it's 99% mega-tryhards who will absolutely ruin new players (and by extension their multi experience)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lodin posted:

Emphatically yes

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Heroes of Might and Magic IV is better than homm3 becuase it is more focused on the heroes than the monsters! Well, at least in the gameplay if not the story.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV is the perfect computer game. Everybody loves to level up their characters and IV has got the perfect system. I've never seen a better balance of experience needed to achieve the next level in any other game. It's very hard to get your character above thirty but getting to fifteen is a cinch. 15 is also when your charcter is no longer helpless but couldn't stand against a black dragon alone while a 30 could take down one easily.

It's really addictive but it's balanced enough that you can stop playing after a few hours. The perfect antidote to todays games where it takes 40 hours plus to see everything. It is also the antidote to the exploitative world of online gaming where big corporations are trying to get everone hooked on gambling for loot.

It's just like Solitaire, you can always go back and waste time if you got nothing to do but it is interesting enough that you won't go braindead after 20 mins. It rewards that strange human quirk of being rewarded with imaginary wealth and power for virtual work.

If you are sick of all those online games that are still based on this phenomenon and throwing adds at you and other pay to win nonsense then check it out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flimf posted:

Gameboy Color is the Wii U of gameboys. it feels like it only existed for like 6 months before the far superior GB Advance came out

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wasn't that the one which aped the AoW series a bit? A five second google kinda confirms this, alongside the HILARIOUS reminder that they released a sequel with gfx a hundredfold worse than its predecessor. Its actually kinda embarrassing how bad it looks/lookeded.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Valko posted:

Heroes of Might and Magic IV is better than homm3 becuase it is more focused on the heroes than the monsters! Well, at least in the gameplay if not the story.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV is the perfect computer game. Everybody loves to level up their characters and IV has got the perfect system. I've never seen a better balance of experience needed to achieve the next level in any other game. It's very hard to get your character above thirty but getting to fifteen is a cinch. 15 is also when your charcter is no longer helpless but couldn't stand against a black dragon alone while a 30 could take down one easily.

It's really addictive but it's balanced enough that you can stop playing after a few hours. The perfect antidote to todays games where it takes 40 hours plus to see everything. It is also the antidote to the exploitative world of online gaming where big corporations are trying to get everone hooked on gambling for loot.

It's just like Solitaire, you can always go back and waste time if you got nothing to do but it is interesting enough that you won't go braindead after 20 mins. It rewards that strange human quirk of being rewarded with imaginary wealth and power for virtual work.

If you are sick of all those online games that are still based on this phenomenon and throwing adds at you and other pay to win nonsense then check it out.
:ohdear:
dude i think you should see a doctor, you might have brain damage

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lodin posted:

if you have online access at all the multiplayer in titanfall2 is really a blast and worth trying, it's not like other FPSes at all

there are a bunch of enemy NPC mooks everywhere that die in a good couple of bullets so you can basically always feel like a badass even if you're total trash at action games

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I did figure out how to fix the sound thing in local config files eventually (there’s a voice volume option in there thank gently caress) and the campaign is amazing. It feels a little punishing if you don’t take full advantage of your movement but not hard in any way and as soon as you start bouncing around and cloaking you start wiping stuff like a badass. I’m thinking about trying hard and I’m an absolute idiot at shooty games

It does feel weird that the mech combat is less appealing than the pilot combat but I’m still very early in and I assume that will shift when I get more mech load outs

I’m still kind of hung up on the game having multiplayer sound sliders but nothing for the campaign but despite that incredibly glaring omission it’s a good game drat

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 3, 2019

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

titanfall 2 is a really good game that I'm really struggling to enjoy because you can't turn down the sound of bullets and they're real loving loud (and you fire a lot of them) and its very distracting and also I like the kane voice actor so far so I dont want to turn it down :(

I really like the punch of the bullet sounds, but I found Kane's accent a little over the top. The game is absolutely amazing though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You kiwl me, yoah bettah. Oye kill you, Oym bettah.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

You kiwl me, yoah bettah. Oye kill you, Oym bettah.

Justified my entire purchase of Titanfall in one line

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Flimf posted:

wow, i have never seen that before. it looks pretty incredible.

The unfinished ROM can be found to download. It's nuts.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rutibex posted:

Gameboy Color is the Wii U of gameboys. it feels like it only existed for like 6 months before the far superior GB Advance came out

The time span between original GB and GBA was only two and a half years - the GBC wasn't really intended to be a new system, it was just loving embarrassing that Nintendo was still selling a console that ran at 4 mhz (effectively 1mhz), had 8 kb of RAM, and could display a whopping 4 colors @ 160 x 144 even back in 1998.

The Game Gear could do 32 colors in 1990, and in 2000 Majesco was selling brand new Gamegears for 30 bucks a pop, if that gives you an idea what the parts actually cost.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The game gear also took 8 batteries and they lasted about 2 hours. Or you could get a battery pack the size of a Chipotle burrito that also lasted 2 hours and took all night to charge.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

it was just loving embarrassing . . .
I always felt that the Game Boy was a system that was supposed to last you a long car ride.

Compared to the full-color contemporaries that ate batteries like candy (Lynx, Game Gear, TurboExpress), it was just easier to pack a Game Boy and deal with the pea-soup screen for Tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The time span between original GB and GBA was only two and a half years - the GBC wasn't really intended to be a new system, it was just loving embarrassing that Nintendo was still selling a console that ran at 4 mhz (effectively 1mhz), had 8 kb of RAM, and could display a whopping 4 colors @ 160 x 144 even back in 1998.
The time span between the original GB and GBA was 12 years.

The GBC had 32kb of RAM and displayed 56 colors.

Like you said, it wasn't a new system, it was an update to an old system. It was entirely backwards-compatible to titles released in 1989.

The Game Gear was the one that had 8kb of ram, and only displayed 32 colors. It also had the same resolution screen as the GB models, while eating up 4x the batteries. (There was also a backlight Game Boy Pocket that still ran on 2 AAA's).

Better that they released a cool update to an existing system with a massive library, than had they tried to release the GBA early, which probably would have been a Game Gear-style power-sucking monstrosity.

The Game Gear could do 32 colors in 1990, and in 2000 Majesco was selling brand new Gamegears for 30 bucks a pop, if that gives you an idea what the parts actually cost.

You understand that a game gear cost much more to produce in 1990 than it did in 2000, right?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 4, 2019