Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

Same question for e.g. the Deep South (where they dual banjos and cars are considered the work of the devil) or a tobacco company or landmine company.

Makes you think how you value yourself.

poo poo, I’d be willing to live in GA if I got the right kind of job at this point. DBA or developer or BI analyst or something. Then again I have family in a decent chunk of the state so that’s a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Midjack posted:

They will absolutely confiscate the passport of a US citizen there. At least one of those loving dumbshit ex-NSA people who claim they got tricked into hacking human rights activists and journalists for DarkMatter there got her passport confiscated.

Fun Fact 1: missing a loan payment is a criminal offense and they won't let you leave the country.

Fun Fact 2: getting fired by the company that sponsored you = same day cancellation of your visa.

Fun Fact 3: if you have a mortgage and you get fired, the mortgage company will demand instant repayment of your mortgage in full.

So, if you tell your boss to stick his job up his arse, you better get home quick, grab your bug-out bag and drive to the airport in your fancy car as quickly as possible and get the hell out of there, leaving everything behind

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I got introduced to this British comedy sketch, and I have never related to something more in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Trigger warnings if you're an SME.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Betazoid posted:

Right, I am undergoing the background check separately (submitted my EQIP this morning). The current employment check is separate.

I think I'll just go with telling my supervisor when she gets back from PTO on Mon 10/07. She told me privately this morning that her time off is for egg insertion and recovery, so I really don't want her freaking out and stressing her body. I'm willing to give up my week off if necessary. Or they could just cut me loose right then, which is fine. I have a ton of PTO banked and already looked up how it's paid out when I quit.

I RESIGNED YESTERDAY! Feels so good!

I have been stressed out to the point of crying at work. This role blows, my division was sold, and the client is a nightmare. My husband saw how much it was affecting me and changed his tune from "hon, stick it out" to "do what you need to do, we'll be fine."

New role security clearance is proceeding and there's no reason I wouldn't get through. My new PM can't wait for me to start. Maybe I was dumb to resign without a confirmed start date, but I was completely unhinged. If there's a few weeks I'm unpaid, I can handle that.

I resigned via email while my boss is on PTO (medical for egg implantation) and looped in her boss, who was beyond nice about it. Gossip has spread and everyone is secretly congratulating me on leaving the nightmare client. Maybe I'm dumb and will kick myself later, but it sure feels good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

22 Eargesplitten posted:

poo poo, I’d be willing to live in GA if I got the right kind of job at this point. DBA or developer or BI analyst or something. Then again I have family in a decent chunk of the state so that’s a part of it.

I guess you didn't know it but I'm a developer too, and if you'd care to take a dare I'll make a bet with you

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Betazoid posted:

I have been stressed out to the point of crying at work. This role blows, my division was sold, and the client is a nightmare. My husband saw how much it was affecting me and changed his tune from "hon, stick it out" to "do what you need to do, we'll be fine."

New role security clearance is proceeding and there's no reason I wouldn't get through. My new PM can't wait for me to start. Maybe I was dumb to resign without a confirmed start date, but I was completely unhinged. If there's a few weeks I'm unpaid, I can handle that.

I resigned via email while my boss is on PTO (medical for egg implantation) and looped in her boss, who was beyond nice about it. Gossip has spread and everyone is secretly congratulating me on leaving the nightmare client. Maybe I'm dumb and will kick myself later, but it sure feels good.

If your to the point of crying your better off leaving than damaging your self further. I dated girl who had PTSD from this sort of poo poo job, she could have saved her self a lot of suffering by leaving sooner.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Betazoid posted:

You made the right decision.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Here's a weird question:

When I left my prior employer, I had a 401k with 50% of their matched contribution vested (e.g. 75% of the total was vested - 100% of my half and half of theirs). I didn't roll it over and didn't close the account. It remains open, rebalancing and reinvesting dividends etc.

I've been working at my current employer for about a year and a half, but am now taking a job with the prior employer. In the interim, they changed their vesting schedule to immediate 100% vesting.

Should I expect the unvested portion of my 401k to become vested when I start? It's basically 5 figures of free money right into the thing if that's the case.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Here's a weird question:

When I left my prior employer, I had a 401k with 50% of their matched contribution vested (e.g. 75% of the total was vested - 100% of my half and half of theirs). I didn't roll it over and didn't close the account. It remains open, rebalancing and reinvesting dividends etc.

I've been working at my current employer for about a year and a half, but am now taking a job with the prior employer. In the interim, they changed their vesting schedule to immediate 100% vesting.

Should I expect the unvested portion of my 401k to become vested when I start? It's basically 5 figures of free money right into the thing if that's the case.

I expect that the answer is no, nice as it would be. Unless your employer decides to be exceptionally generous about this, your employment end date stopped the clock for that for good.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I’m getting wisdom teeth out tomorrow and I’m delighted at the idea of a long weekend in pain just so I can be not at work.

I remember looking forward to my last colonoscopy because it meant I got a day off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I hate Dubai but would probably do it for half a million plus a generous relo and return travel package.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

Fun Fact 1: missing a loan payment is a criminal offense and they won't let you leave the country.

Fun Fact 2: getting fired by the company that sponsored you = same day cancellation of your visa.

Fun Fact 3: if you have a mortgage and you get fired, the mortgage company will demand instant repayment of your mortgage in full.

So, if you tell your boss to stick his job up his arse, you better get home quick, grab your bug-out bag and drive to the airport in your fancy car as quickly as possible and get the hell out of there, leaving everything behind
sounds like you want to get your bugout bag and wait for the plane out to take off before telling your boss to go gently caress himself

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Another fun one for women in UAE is that any kind of extra-marital sexual activity is illegal. Sounds simple, until you realize that most police there don't differentiate between consensual and non-consensual sexual acts. Get groped/sexually assaulted/raped and have the nerve to report it to the police? More likely than not they're going to arrest and jail you for sexual activity outside of marriage.

I did some research last night out of curiosity and uh, I think I'll revise my opinion to "no way in hell, even for $300K a month + living expenses".

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 24, 2020

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Theyll also throw you in jail or deny/hold passports, visas etc if you say anything negative about the country online. Or also a company that has connections/pull or even just big in there.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Sydin posted:

Another fun one for women in UAE is that any kind of extra-marital sexual activity is illegal. Sounds simple, until you realize that most police there don't differentiate between consensual and non-consensual sexual acts. Get groped/sexually assaulted/raped and have the nerve to report it to the police? More likely than not they're going to arrest and jail you for sexual activity outside of marriage.

I did some research last night out of curiosity and uh, I think I'll revise my opinion to "no way in hell, even for $300K a month + living expenses".

The irony here is that Dubai is full of hookers, who may or may not have had their passports taken. Straight up sex trafficking. I'd much rather go back to deployed defense contracting than any kind of work in Dubai.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Dik Hz posted:

I got introduced to this British comedy sketch, and I have never related to something more in my life.

THIS IS NOT FUNNY.

NONE OF IT.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH

this is my life, everyday... Hail SS-18...

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
So I gave my notice earlier this week, got a two sentence reply from my manager about it, and now the HR guy for my department is out of office. Other than coworkers wishing me farewell, I haven't heard anything about what I should do before I leave. Maybe I'll just... leave my badge and computer on my desk and vamoose?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Schmeichy posted:

So I gave my notice earlier this week, got a two sentence reply from my manager about it, and now the HR guy for my department is out of office. Other than coworkers wishing me farewell, I haven't heard anything about what I should do before I leave. Maybe I'll just... leave my badge and computer on my desk and vamoose?

poo poo in the paper drawer of the photocopier?

(The one with the unpopular papersize/orientation)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Betazoid posted:

You're not dumb, you're protecting your sanity. I left a toxic job years ago without even having a tentative offer from anywhere else and my only regret is that I didn't do it 6 months earlier. It was really damaging me and the relief I felt after I quit was indescribable.

Good for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Wisdom tooth update, currently hosed up on opioids watching Jojos bizarre adventure. Much better than work, would recommend.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

As much fun plant life can be, i miss not worrying about being hit by a forklift everyday and then subjected to a mandatory drug test.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

PhotoKirk posted:

THIS IS NOT FUNNY.

NONE OF IT.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH

this is my life, everyday... Hail SS-18...
I had to pause it and recover a couple time. Good lord is it accurate.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I want to throw up after watching that.

Elsewhere on Planet Earth, my production facility has been shut down indefinitely while QA remains unconvinced that mold can't magically produce its own air pressure to overpower a negative-pressure vacuum system and send spores back up through an enormous piping system into a tablet press that isn't in use.

Oh, and the mold doesn't even exist. It's literally not there. But it could be because a HEPA filter got wet, and therefore we should shut the entire line down while we prove that the non-existent mold didn't cause non-existent contamination.

Air handler qualification reports and industry standards? Those don't count.

Oh, and SME assessments don't count when the SME is in the group with the non-existent event, b/c that's a conflict of interest.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 5, 2019

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Dik Hz posted:

my boss has this queued up and makes people watch it whenever a project goes off the rails

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

I want to see the follow up video where the client claims they never asked for lines and can't remember being a part of this meeting.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

gwarm01 posted:

I want to see the follow up video where the client claims they never asked for lines and can't remember being a part of this meeting.

Not that exact thing, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mokllJ_Sz_g

I'm 15 sec in and want to murder puppies.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Sundae posted:

Not that exact thing, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mokllJ_Sz_g

I'm 15 sec in and want to murder puppies.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Couldn't even finish it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I was double booked and couldn’t make the video, could someone send me a 30,000 foot recap so I’m looped in and aligned before our next circle up? Thanks in advance

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

I was double booked and couldn’t make the video, could someone send me a 30,000 foot recap so I’m looped in and aligned before our next circle up? Thanks in advance

I was recently asked to provide a 30000 ft view of something. I was on a flight at the time, so took a photo out the window and texted it with "the 30000 ft view strongly resembles Cheyenne."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nicely done.

My answer to 30k feet is usually “there’s some clouds but it looks like there’s ground below, not much forest though.”

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Everything is moving very slowly, there are people down there, they look like ants to me, I feel a god compared to their insignificance.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe they mean laterally? Unfortunately if you are at sea level, the horizon is less than 30,000ft away so your view will be obscured the curvature of the earth.

It's looking like that isn't a particularly useful viewpoint to get!!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Nicely done.

My answer to 30k feet is usually “there’s some clouds but it looks like there’s ground below, not much forest though.”

Too many trees in the way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've always heard the phrase as the view from 10,000 feet. Did someone decide that being higher would always better?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yep. I've heard as high as 40,000 feet now. Exponential growth applies to witticisms as well as profits.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I'm in my last week at my current place.

I think I'm going to microwave some fish tomorrow.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The view is best from 85,000 feet, our project group flies in SR-71s :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Please radio the tower for a speed check thanks goon buddy