Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Kid should've gotten 5-15, Guyger should've gotten 25-55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol have fun comparing the disparate treatment of the criminal justice system.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
But was he SCARED when he did it.

You have to be afraid.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

She. The guy she shot had icecream so she feared for her life. She had an undisclosed lactose intolerance that was way more sever than normal

Edit: most peoples gives them diarrhea, hers starts thunderdome

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay-K

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I may have missed it but i didnt see anything saying he was scared in there. Im also in the dentists office so i only glanced through the criminal activity section which was pretty extensive

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol have fun comparing the disparate treatment of the criminal justice system.

trip report: i didn't have fun

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I saw something this morning: the american criminal justice system is like bleach. Works for whites and fucks up colors.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Man-Fatally-Shot-at-Dallas-Apartment-Complex-562267151.html

Dorner was right

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Gee, I wonder how quickly they're going to solve this one.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah the lack of motivation is gonna be legendary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

You know, I hate to be paranoid, but 'dude who just stood to witness on a dirty cop getting put away is assassinated via drive-by, no leads found' is some pretty scarily circumstantial poo poo, and needs to be investigated well above the Dallas PD's level.

I would put a fair bit of money on the chances that someone knows something there. It's too convenient.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 6, 2019

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

needs to be investigated well above the Dallas PD's level.

poo poo, if we're just wishing for ridiculous things, I want a free Lamborghini.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

My Spirit Otter posted:

poo poo, if we're just wishing for ridiculous things, I want a free Lamborghini.

An R8. At least you can afford to have fun in it.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

pretty scarily circumstantial poo poo, and needs to be investigated well above the Dallas PD's level.

Don't worry, I'm sure the paragons of virtue known as Texas Rangers are on the case.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

You know, I hate to be paranoid, but 'dude who just stood to witness on a dirty cop getting put away is assassinated via drive-by, no leads found' is some pretty scarily circumstantial poo poo, and needs to be investigated well above the Dallas PD's level.

I would put a fair bit of money on the chances that someone knows something there. It's too convenient.

Even as a LEO, this seems way too loving convenient for Guyger (maybe a try for an appeal without a KEY witness?), and the circumstances are suspicious as gently caress.

Until we see some real evidence that this witness was involved in gangs or the drug trade, or was loving his buddy's or boss's wife, and we get some concrete poo poo here of a perp, I'm betting some CHUD gently caress (who either is or isn't a cop) did this.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bored As gently caress posted:

(maybe a try for an appeal without a KEY witness?),

I'm not sure how he was a KEY witness.
[e: He testified that he had heard Jean singing gospel in the past and that there was a noise complaint the day of Jean's murder. (1. It's easy to hear people at the apartments, 2. People in the apartments are sensitive to noise. Therefore, Guyger's story that she was shouting at Jean is B.S.) Certainly helpful, (and perhaps more importantly, a smooth way to sneak in some positive character evidence for Jean) but not really key]

An appeal is not a new trial. An appeal is an argument that something went legally wrong during the trial. Because the appeal is an argument that something went legally wrong with the original trial, the subject of the appeal is the content of the original trial itself. Believing that a witness is KEY does not change the fundamental nature of what appeals are.
Appeals rest on the evidence and testimony presented at the trial. There will be no additions or subtractions to/from the trial testimony for the appeal.

Much to the apoplexy of some, it looks like the judge did a good job of following the law. A successful appeal (particularly of the verdict) is going to be unlikely.

Assuming for purpose of explanation that Guyger wins her appeal and gets a new trial, Joshua Brown's testimony doesn't just disappear because he died; it has a literal and legal separate existence as part of the record of the original trial. Because he's unavailable to testify, his previous testimony was under oath, and Guyger('s attorney) was able to cross examine him, his entire testimony would be read to the new jury.
(And they wouldn't have to see him testifying in a murder trial in a frikkin' DragonballZ t-shirt)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 6, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Interesting. That's good that an appeal is unlikely. Thanks for the explanation.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The whole thing where the judge asked the jury to consider castle doctrine was to try and prevent the defense from trying to appeal

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The whole thing where the judge asked the jury to consider castle doctrine was to try and prevent the defense from trying to appeal

That's a backwards and deeply cynical way to put it.
Applying the law to the evidence presented at trial required the judge to give that instruction. That is, it would be legally wrong for the judge not to give the instruction.
Appeals are to correct things that go legally wrong in a trial.
If Guyger lost, the failure to give the instruction would be a great basis for appeal, and an honest court would be hard pressed to not reverse the verdict and send the case back for a new trial.

Give the jury the information the law requires them to have and they give you result you don't like? Tough poo poo, you're trying to appeal the facts the jury found during their deliberations. You lose.
Don't give the jury the information the law requires them to have and they give you result you don't like? Congratulations, you've got a fantastic appeal issue, because the jury was given bad legal instructions on how they have analyze the facts to make their decision. Their premises are flawed which makes their factual decisions legally flawed. Maybe it accidentally was the right result, but the accused still gets a new trial where the jury will get the instructions they're required to get, to apply to the facts they've heard and seen.

Ironically, the same folks whinging about the judge giving the instruction would be the exact same folks whinging about an appeals court sending the case back for a new trial if the judge had pandered to them and not given the instruction.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bored As gently caress posted:

Even as a LEO, this seems way too loving convenient for Guyger (maybe a try for an appeal without a KEY witness?), and the circumstances are suspicious as gently caress.

Until we see some real evidence that this witness was involved in gangs or the drug trade, or was loving his buddy's or boss's wife, and we get some concrete poo poo here of a perp, I'm betting some CHUD gently caress (who either is or isn't a cop) did this.

It’s not anything for her. My guess is that it’s a ex-cop or kkk type sending a message.

I’m leaning away from current cop since they would have a lot more tools with much less risk.

Who wants to bet the investigation goes nowhere while the DPD owns it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Why wouldn't you kill the star witness before the trial?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Because they thought the thin blue line would push the jury the other way, and this was a spur of the moment revenge hit.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

BLM activists keep ending up murdered too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's either the cops or some wannabe copfucker.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

joat mon posted:

That's a backwards and deeply cynical way to put it.
Applying the law to the evidence presented at trial required the judge to give that instruction. That is, it would be legally wrong for the judge not to give the instruction.
Appeals are to correct things that go legally wrong in a trial.
If Guyger lost, the failure to give the instruction would be a great basis for appeal, and an honest court would be hard pressed to not reverse the verdict and send the case back for a new trial.

Give the jury the information the law requires them to have and they give you result you don't like? Tough poo poo, you're trying to appeal the facts the jury found during their deliberations. You lose.
Don't give the jury the information the law requires them to have and they give you result you don't like? Congratulations, you've got a fantastic appeal issue, because the jury was given bad legal instructions on how they have analyze the facts to make their decision. Their premises are flawed which makes their factual decisions legally flawed. Maybe it accidentally was the right result, but the accused still gets a new trial where the jury will get the instructions they're required to get, to apply to the facts they've heard and seen.

Ironically, the same folks whinging about the judge giving the instruction would be the exact same folks whinging about an appeals court sending the case back for a new trial if the judge had pandered to them and not given the instruction.

It's a pretty accurate way to put it, given the judge had the foresight to make sure all the t's were crossed and i's were dotted rather than intentionally 'forget' to mention it and provoke a retrial that could get a friendly jury.

A more cop friendly judge would have made that 'oversight'.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Why wouldn't you kill the star witness before the trial?

because they thought they didn't think they needed to. Now its a warning to the next one: snitch on us and you die

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Like, just to put this in perspective, I'm still leery about believing there was a conspiracy to kill Epstein (I mean, apart from a conspiracy of incompetence and just not caring if a pedo got ganked in jail), but I absolutely believe that poor witness dude was killed by some cop or a shitbag coploving vigilante.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Like, just to put this in perspective, I'm still leery about believing there was a conspiracy to kill Epstein (I mean, apart from a conspiracy of incompetence and just not caring if a pedo got ganked in jail), but I absolutely believe that poor witness dude was killed by some cop or a shitbag coploving vigilante.

I don’t think it was an active cop because if you’re that crooked if would have been a lot easier to frame him up or something like that. Even with like the Serpico case when corruption was even worse they just set him up in a dangerous situation to let drug dealers do the actual deed.

My moneys on an vigilante, probably an older ex-cop mad that poo poo isn’t quite as racist as it used to be. I mean you can’t ignore the base rate that sometimes murders just happen but given how rare a regular dude with no criminal history getting murdered for no apparent “typical” motive is I’d put it at 50/50 at least that this a hit.

It’s like the worst of the old school cop by day KKK by night poo poo coming back. Just loving scary. And god think how scary it’s gotta be for Jeans’s family now.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Really can not convey how much the term vigilante should not be being used for a fashy fetishist killing a witness who testified. The people who go after who did it when the texas cops declare it a cold case next week sure

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

If it was more than one person they tend to call them "death squads" when this happens in other countries. And 90% of the time those are off duty cops. Who knows in this case though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Crakkerjakk posted:

If it was more than one person they tend to call them "death squads" when this happens in other countries. And 90% of the time those are off duty cops. Who knows in this case though.

I'm no fan of the cops, but this is a bit of a reach, innit.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

My Spirit Otter posted:

I'm no fan of the cops, but this is a bit of a reach, innit.

I mean, mostly because it's a term only used to describe something that happens in other countries in most media, but like KKK posses that killed black people or civil rights activists were definitely death squads, and not a few members of the KKK were cops back in the day. Less true these days, but the people who might have been in the KKK back in the day now are three percenters, oathkeepers, etc.

And again, more than a few BLM activists from Ferguson have showed up murdered in the last five years under mysterious circumstances, generally in ways that would be hard for it to be just one person doing it.

It's not like there's some death squad central command thing coordinating poo poo across the country, but the precursors to death squads being a thing that is happening here and there across the country are there, and combined with the fascists in charge of the country it's probably something we're gonna see more of, especially as we get closer to the election.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ya, well, deathsquad implies its sanctioned by the government and no matter how we feel about the current administration, we can all agree they're far too incompetent to do anything like that.

i dont know what term id use to describe it, but deathsquad feels wrong.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I dunno, my impression of the history of death squads in South and Central America is that it was less the people in charge of the government saying "hey you guys, go kill Dave" and more people with training and equipment to hurt people (usually at night) who were supporters of the people in charge of the government saying to a few of their close friends "hey, instead of the poker game tonight after work let's go out and murder some people we disagree with politically.". Especially at first

Paramilitaries (another word that doesn't tend to get used much for groups in the US) would be more similar to groups like Patriot prayer, three percenters, oathkeepers, etc I think.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 8, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

ya, well, deathsquad implies its sanctioned by the government and no matter how we feel about the current administration, we can all agree they're far too incompetent to do anything like that.

i dont know what term id use to describe it, but deathsquad feels wrong.

Deathsquad feels wrong because we shouldn't have death squads in the US.

It is unfortunately accurate given the likelihood that these people will be sheltered by the police and not face any real effort to investigate this crime and bring them to trial, because they chose a target that the local police already have reason to want to see taken down for daring to take the stand against one of their own.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I agree with everything you said, except that deathsquad is accurate.

I mean, if its cops going around doing it, 100% deathsquads. But I think a more appropriate term would be domestic terrorism.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

I agree with everything you said, except that deathsquad is accurate.

I mean, if its cops going around doing it, 100% deathsquads. But I think a more appropriate term would be domestic terrorism.

It’s loving death squads dude, church it up however you need to, it’s the same goddamned thing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFD_LRpsb_g

Look, no one had to sit down and explain what exactly jury nullification was to white jurors in the south,they just knew to reach a verdict of not guilty on lynching cases.

The right wing movement doesn't need a singular leader issuing out every order. There isn't a single entity killing BLM leaders in the same way that every school shooting is a different guy. Have a politician labeling one group as others that need to be killed, a somewhat competent group willing to do the killings, and a police force more than willing to be intentionally incompetent.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh, hey. Here's why he was assassinated.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amber-...0_7b4OpJ3YTvfTE

He was going to testify in the civil case against the Dallas PD.