Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

rujasu posted:

If you do find someone who likes it, let us know.

New management has begun to respond to most concerns about endemic process-overload and ritualization of every task as something that will be solved when the migration to Jira is complete. We're peak agile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

New management has begun to respond to most concerns about endemic process-overload and ritualization of every task as something that will be solved when the migration to Jira is complete. We're peak agile.

This is a good description, I like it. Especially the ritualization.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is a good description, I like it. Especially the ritualization.

Last year around this time, it was decided that, yeah, for Sales & Marketing purposes, as well as giving Engineering a chance to know wtf is going on - the Product folks would for the first time build out a Roadmap for 2019.
A year later...
It was decided recently that, for Sales and Marketing purposes, as well as giving Engineering a chance to know wtf is going on - the Product folks would for the first time build out a Roadmap for 2020.

I asked in that meeting - "Have we done any analysis on why the exact same plan from last year failed? Or are we walking into the same trap again?"
Someone helpfully noted that it wasn't just last year, it's been like 6 years where this becomes a plan and then never appears, until it's agreed upon again that we need it.
To answer my question, though, someone helpfully noted that Now That We Have Jira, We Can Do It!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

We use a ticket/user story tool called TargetProcess. In some ways it's better than Jira, in others it's worse (although the last time I used Jira was several years ago so Jira might've gotten worse since).

The main advantage of TP is that I can use it with my butt and nobody raises an eyebrow.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Pollyanna posted:

I’m torn between telling their current solution to gently caress itself and adding a real API call, and just adding onto the pile of :cripes: so I can move on.
I am happy to see you are growing! A few years back you would have told them to go gently caress themselves sideways for how DARE they to ever look at your db like that. Now you are like: "I don't like this, what would be a good approach or shall I just ignore it and move on?" This is real growth.

rt4 posted:

Change the password
This is also a good suggestion.

ultrafilter posted:

Change the schema.
This is another nice example.

The best one is of course to allow the db slave to only accept connections coming from your API service. Which should have been in place since day one to begin with allowing you to innocently state "I was improving security that was forgotten to implement, if you want to access records, use the API. Or would you like for this unsafe situation to continue?"
And then change the schema after they have gotten their way.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

Last year around this time, it was decided that, yeah, for Sales & Marketing purposes, as well as giving Engineering a chance to know wtf is going on - the Product folks would for the first time build out a Roadmap for 2019.
A year later...
It was decided recently that, for Sales and Marketing purposes, as well as giving Engineering a chance to know wtf is going on - the Product folks would for the first time build out a Roadmap for 2020.

I asked in that meeting - "Have we done any analysis on why the exact same plan from last year failed? Or are we walking into the same trap again?"
Someone helpfully noted that it wasn't just last year, it's been like 6 years where this becomes a plan and then never appears, until it's agreed upon again that we need it.
To answer my question, though, someone helpfully noted that Now That We Have Jira, We Can Do It!

I love it when it goes:

Stuff does not work.
Technology
???
Process improvement!

Instead of checking out what really is going wrong, we just buy tech and that fixes everything. Actually I do know why this goes wrong, fixing it would mean actually talking to people, coaching them, treating them like human beings, educate them, make them keep their promises, you know the hard stuff. Easier to just buy something.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

lifg posted:

I've been using Jira for so long I don't believe that anything else exists.
Hej! Hur är Stockholm?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Our org wants a tool that can track epics, user stories, and tasks. They also want tasks/ us' to link to issues in gitlab to avoid double documentation.

Is Jira something that may solve this?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
So you already have your issues in Gitlab? Gitlab can track epics, user stories and tasks. Only in the "ultimate" or "gold" versions, but as long as you're willing to pay for Jira you might as well pay for Gitlab.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We use a separate project tracking platform that I personally like because I track both dev and operational projects in it, but management has decided that we need to converge on a single system.

They have decided on gitlab ultimate and declared the old platform dead, but haven't purchased, installed, or tested gitlab project tracking.

Just wondering if there are better solutions out there or if gitlab epics are an ok way to go.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Gitlab issue tracking is a lot better overall than Github unless you're super minimalist on process (read: you're still start-up bros). Gitlab's issue tracker is slightly closer to something like Zenhub but we're moving to full retard Github for everything and will be decommissioning the whole Atlassian suite eventually.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cuntpunch posted:

A year later...

You set a deliverable date for that in a month or so, and you aggressively ask about it for the rest of the year. It doesn't even have to be a thing that has to be year to year, you can just ask for quarter projections.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

'been using JIRA for about a year now and dearly miss Azure DevOps 😐

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The business side of my office ended up getting Jira for support and account issue tracking. The VP of development forbade developers from getting accounts on it or using it in any capacity because we already have gitlab as well as TFS for legacy software and three tracking systems was a bridge too far.

Also he just wanted to kind of stick it to the business guys which was pretty cool.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Cuntpunch posted:

Even with plugins, Jira doesn't spawn project plans from nothingness. In fact, almost every piece of planning software is going to make things more difficult because of the startup costs, complexity of the interfaces, and so on.

It sounds like they're firmly embedded in the mindset where "agile" means "focus on the loudest request and expect hourly adjustments to priorities based on a whim". Coupled with their demonstrated inability to create even basic milestones, you can be fairly confident that no project roadmap will ever appear.

Don't let them find out about SaFe. This sounds like the type of company that defines process by fad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Don't let them find out about SaFe. This sounds like the type of company that defines process by fad.

They'll be like my old employer where regardless of PI planning, everything is in flux and nothing is on track!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Even with plugins, Jira doesn't spawn project plans from nothingness. In fact, almost every piece of planning software is going to make things more difficult because of the startup costs, complexity of the interfaces, and so on.

It sounds like they're firmly embedded in the mindset where "agile" means "focus on the loudest request and expect hourly adjustments to priorities based on a whim". Coupled with their demonstrated inability to create even basic milestones, you can be fairly confident that no project roadmap will ever appear.

Jira's "next-gen"-projects at least have built-in roadmap functionality where you can basically give start/end dates to your epics. I found it awkward, though, because epics subsequently also have to be transitioned through the workflow, and show up as tickets in the backlog etc, rather than serving as an organisational layer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The high configurability of Jira means that managers who already know how, care enough, and are allowed to establish a sane process can set it up to support that process. But it can just as easily be configured to reinforce micromanagement hell and total opacity. It's not a teaching tool the way a less flexible one can be.

If a company can be actually-agile with pen and paper, Jira is an example of something that can help them further reduce communication friction; but the underlying capability is the important part, and nobody sells that (some sell lessons, and some of those lessons even work depending on who attends).

Or, y'know, "Individuals and interactions over processes and tools."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My current experience with JIRA is improved by me being the person who set it up and the only person who ever uses it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

My current experience with Jira is improved by coming from a place with a nightmarish custom Remedy setup

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Azure Devops is the loving worst. The UI is incomprehensible and it's missing basic features like aggregating story points in an epic or reusing processes in release pipelines.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

my jira experience has been improved since my team chose a silly acronym for the team's tickets

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

We have a scrummaster who is worth his salt and makes Jira his bitch.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

MisterZimbu posted:

reusing processes in release pipelines.

Task groups? Multi-file YAML pipelines?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
100 bug tickets that nobody followed up on closed :q:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

We have a scrummaster who is worth his salt and makes Jira his bitch.

Seems like Jira really sucks when it's nobody's job to make the processes make sense. It feels like nobody who gives a drat has admin access at my workplace and can't change the things that are obviously wrong.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

rt4 posted:

Seems like Jira really sucks when it's nobody's job to make the processes make sense. It feels like nobody who gives a drat has admin access at my workplace and can't change the things that are obviously wrong.

One of my soundbites is that any process management tool is good and will work fine for you... As long as you have at least one full time person who's job it is to customize it for your workflows.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Any process management tool might work as long as you have a manageable process. The tool won't fix the absence of working processes, or any process, for that matter.

fake-edit: :goonsay:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

On the other hand, no matter how perfect your process is, it will still suffer from JIRA being an obnoxiously slow pile of poo poo. Unless its perfection involves not using JIRA at all.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

MisterZimbu posted:

Azure Devops is the loving worst. The UI is incomprehensible and it's missing basic features like aggregating story points in an epic or reusing processes in release pipelines.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/az...ounts-or-totals you're welcome

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Steve French posted:

On the other hand, no matter how perfect your process is, it will still suffer from JIRA being an obnoxiously slow pile of poo poo. Unless its perfection involves not using JIRA at all.

Literally. How is it SO BAD given what it's trying to do, it's not simulating nuclear bombs and poo poo

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Forced page updates due to their platform being a multi-plugin environment without enforcing policies to prevent unnecessary ones.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It became Nero Burning Rom.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

feedmegin posted:

Literally. How is it SO BAD given what it's trying to do, it's not simulating nuclear bombs and poo poo
There are so many bad jokes here, I'm not sure which are even appropriate.

"It was written for the Navy. That's why it keeps crashing."

"Jira was used to plan the North Korean missile tests".

"The Jira UI was based on the Therac 25".

"Now we know what happened to Microsoft Vista".

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I started a new job back in June and holy crap is my new product manager amazing. I don't have to wrangle requirements or have bullshit meetings with marketing. I give input on technical feasibility and slicing up the work, otherwise I am focused on software development, code reviews and mentorship. My whole career before this has been one big dumpster fire of trying to dance around and manage idiotic sales/marketing people and useless PMs. I started thinking the problem was with me, but after working with a good PM, I'm validating in knowing that I was right all along!

Still have yet to work with a project manager that wasn't basically useless.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 9, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I had a great project manager once, he was great at telling other teams "No" while making them feel good about it.

I've had some pretty good product managers but none that were especially great

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fellatio del Toro posted:

My current experience with Jira is improved by coming from a place with a nightmarish custom Remedy setup

Anything from literal paper with permanent marker is better than Remedy. How Remedy still exists "sort of" makes sense but it deserves to die.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

My first job had a Rational ClearCase/ClearQuest setup so my standards are set quite low

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yes it might be best to take the update at face value when it's given by the engineer that contributed 75% of the project over the last six months. Starting a project planning discussion when no one is available to perform the work is neither appropriate (in this unrelated meeting) nor efficient use of our time. Besides, if it was that simple to implement, why wasn't it done by any of the half dozen people during the project execution, when half of those were senior engineers?

Ahha, you're volunteering to add it to your projects for the next four months?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If you org was switching to a true SaaS DevOps solution, would you prefer GitLab or Bitbucket? I think I'm leaning towards GitLab at the moment.