Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Trasson posted:

All parties are viable, though if you pick Angela or Charlotte as your first character, don't pick the other as the second. Third is fine, but not second: your first two characters have to take on the first boss on their own and that can be painful for the two spellcasters before they get spells (which they won't until that boss is dead).

Your first chosen character dictates which of the three villain groups takes center stage, but other than that and the above it doesn't matter who you choose for what slot.

Pick whatever seems best for level ups as long as it isn't Luck: the obvious choices are probably right.

Don't listen to GameFAQs guides on how to class change your characters. Not only can their assessments be kind of trash but most discussion focuses on final class change theory crafting when you spend far more of the game in your first and second classes.

Have fun.

Dexterity is bugged and does nothing. You should only level it up for Hawk in certain late-game jobs since some of his later abilities require a minimum DEX to be learned. It's nothing you need to worry about in the start though.

You're fine with whatever character combinations, honestly. Duran will either heal or cast elemental sabers, Angela gets a variety of spells depending on her job path, Kevin can heal or focus on pure damage, Charlotte is always your best healer and can do other stuff depending, Lise will either be a buffer or debuffer, and Hawk has a variety of various random techs including debuffs. You should be fine picking whichever three look coolest or interest you or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
In Super Metroid, in the shaft where they show you wall jumping, at the top, there's a wall with a morphball sized passage through it. I can kind of get close to it but I've never been good at morphing in the air. Do I come back here later?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

slay the spire is a great game but its better on pc because there's some really good mods for it.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

BGrifter posted:

I knew they made one of these for PS4 but I had no idea the Switch got one too.

It’s weird that I’m more hype to buy a bunch of controllers for my Switch than the games themselves, but here we are.

lmao wtf

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Reality Sinner posted:

In Super Metroid, in the shaft where they show you wall jumping, at the top, there's a wall with a morphball sized passage through it. I can kind of get close to it but I've never been good at morphing in the air. Do I come back here later?

omg that mofo hole I spent so much time trying to nail the gap but moved on

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

slay the spire is a great game but its better on pc because there's some really good mods for it.

On the other hand, portability.

I play both versions though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Reality Sinner posted:

Nope, you can get in

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Reality Sinner posted:

Hit down twice in the air and then immediately slam on right to fall in. It's stupid hard, but you can do it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If you're having a hard time getting it and not trying to 100% you can just leave, that is not a required item.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Man, I thought the Super Metroid infinite bomb jump was an unforeseen mechanic on Nintendo's part but I only found out now that it's demoed for the player right on the loving attract screen, together with several other techniques that the manual doesn't tell you about. Hell, I didn't even know about that charge beam/power bomb thing until the other day.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Argue posted:

Man, I thought the Super Metroid infinite bomb jump was an unforeseen mechanic on Nintendo's part but I only found out now that it's demoed for the player right on the loving attract screen, together with several other techniques that the manual doesn't tell you about. Hell, I didn't even know about that charge beam/power bomb thing until the other day.

Everyone keeps saying the phrase, but what's an attract screen? Is it a thing only in Super Metroid, like a certain area in the game? Because the way it's being written about doesn't quite make it seem like it's exclusive to that game and I've gotten very confused.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure bomb jumping was a thing in the previous games and the devs decided to make it part of the game. Similar to rocket jumping and the homing briefcase in Hitman 2.

oh and port Hitman 2 to Switch, you cowards!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Nep-Nep posted:

If you're having a hard time getting it and not trying to 100% you can just leave, that is not a required item.

lol now I want it more than ever :supaburn:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Everyone keeps saying the phrase, but what's an attract screen? Is it a thing only in Super Metroid, like a certain area in the game? Because the way it's being written about doesn't quite make it seem like it's exclusive to that game and I've gotten very confused.
It comes from arcade games where they would display pre-determined portions of gameplay to "attract" people to the machine and make them want to play it.

In modern terms it just means whatever happens when you don't press any buttons on the title screen for a while.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

100YrsofAttitude posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/attract_screen

I didn't know either, but assumed it was just a variation of a loading screen tutorial.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’ve been assuming it’s the gameplay segment thingers that play when no one hits the start button at a video games title screen

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The walljumping animals room was a huge trap as a kid because there's no way you're getting out you're a kid you dont k ow what the gently caress your doing and they even put a save room there so if you save and come back you're still stuck there

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Reality Sinner posted:

The walljumping animals room was a huge trap as a kid because there's no way you're getting out you're a kid you dont k ow what the gently caress your doing and they even put a save room there so if you save and come back you're still stuck there

yeh that bit seems wack now (and confused me while recently replaying super metroid) after being so used to modern game wall jump mechanics

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BGrifter posted:

I knew they made one of these for PS4 but I had no idea the Switch got one too.

It’s weird that I’m more hype to buy a bunch of controllers for my Switch than the games themselves, but here we are.
This does not look comfortable

I can't believe an engineer sat down for weeks (months?) to design that thing. That seems like a lot of work for something not a lot of people will buy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

It comes from arcade games where they would display pre-determined portions of gameplay to "attract" people to the machine and make them want to play it.

In modern terms it just means whatever happens when you don't press any buttons on the title screen for a while.

I see think you. I think I ended up conflating it with the animal room, and thought Samus was attracting animals somehow.

I have yet to play Super Metroid. I want to beat Metroid first, which I started a year ago.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/oleivarrudi/status/1179910062363553792

:discourse:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Vegetable posted:

This does not look comfortable

I can't believe an engineer sat down for weeks (months?) to design that thing. That seems like a lot of work for something not a lot of people will buy.

Apparently they make those every once in a while. The last one was for the PS4 and it looks like this one is basically the same one with the touchpad taken off.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm looking for some new local multiplayer games.

I've got tricky towers, crawl, and chicken horse. Any opinions on Full Metal Furies or otherwise?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Geez, that yookalayee DK game was not on my radar at all until I saw a review video

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jarvisi posted:

I've got tricky towers, crawl, and chicken horse. Any opinions on Full Metal Furies or otherwise?

Overcooked is great if you want all the players to hate each other with a burning passion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Geez, that yookalayee DK game was not on my radar at all until I saw a review video

yeah wow this looks amazing

did not even know this existed and suddenly there's another great platformer to play on gods own console

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

Killer Queen is coming out soon, and I can't wait.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

snipperclips is great casual fun, any of the jackbox games are good really

i like risk of rain a lot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jarvisi posted:

Get yourself Heave-Ho immediately.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh also Overcooked if you want to burn your friendships to the ground

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Endorph posted:

Slaying the spire while making GBS threads in solace.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Killer Queen is coming out soon, and I can't wait.

Do you need a full eight people and two switches to play locallly? It looks fun though;

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

Do you need a full eight people and two switches to play locallly? It looks fun though;

No clue. I have no local switch friends so I'll be doing online.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Waffle! posted:

It's on Kotaku. Some developers said their main reason is for visibility on the sale page, as games get buried on the main page quickly. And it's easier to pull the trigger on a .09 impulse buy or something you can afford with spare Gold. Going cheap really helped out the developer for A Robot Named Fight, I bought it on sale too.

Frankly I didn't not buy that game because of visibility. I was aware of it and could find it easily if I wanted. Reviews were just middling and a lot of people don't care for procedurally generated games

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get yourself Heave-Ho immediately.
This game is absurdly fun with people in the same room. It's difficult but fair and it's quick so even if someone sucks and dies a lot you can still progress while having a blast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This game is absurdly fun with people in the same room. It's difficult but fair and it's quick so even if someone sucks and dies a lot you can still progress while having a blast.

It's at its best when things start going very wrong and you fling three of your friends into a wall of spikes or just off into nothing.

While they were holding the level's Coin.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's at its best when things start going very wrong and you fling three of your friends into a wall of spikes or just off into nothing.

While they were holding the level's Coin.
Every moment when someone goes tumbling into spikes or the whole team just falls to their deaths because someone forgot their left and right is just pure joy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Every moment when someone goes tumbling into spikes or the whole team just falls to their deaths because someone forgot their left and right is just pure joy.

"EEEEEeeeeeee*GGRRNNNNKKK*" :gibs:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Reality Sinner posted:

There is a jump while ball item in the game that should allow you to get in there without mastering the mid air to ball move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There is a jump while ball item in the game that should allow you to get in there without mastering the mid air to ball move

There's no way the Spring Ball works for that because that would involve the Spring Ball being useful.