Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

originalnickname posted:

It's a core without a heatspreader covering it.. Silicon with a shim around it.

Can you not just pop the heatspreaders off with a $10 amazon tool anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Intel went back to soldered TIM, which improves stock thermal performance significantly, but is much harder to delid. The combination of increased difficulty + lowered reward means no one is really doing it anymore.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

Intel went back to soldered TIM, which improves stock thermal performance significantly, but is much harder to delid. The combination of increased difficulty + lowered reward means no one is really doing it anymore.

just pay $60 and let SiliconLottery do it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Don't even talk to me if your CPU is only running at 3.6 Roentgen.
Psch, I've been exposed to 60 gray over a 6-week period and whatever the amount is for ~15 chest and abdominal CT-scans.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Psch, I've been exposed to 60 gray over a 6-week period and whatever the amount is for ~15 chest and abdominal CT-scans.

I think that dose would be very fatal.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

omeg posted:

I think that dose would be very fatal.
:iiam: that I'm here then.

Alternatively it's because all of that radiation has been spread over more than 3 years so far.
IMRT was 2 gray radiation in a very small and well-defined area (located both by a titanium clip as well as MR and CT scans) every weekday during a 6 week period where I also received chemo-therapy. After that is when the regular scans started, of which all but the first of the abdominal and chest CT-scans have been 15-minute scans with contrast, to minimize exposure.

Consider that Igor Fedorovich Kostin, the reporter who was in the helicopter that filmed down into the Chernobyl reactor through an open door by flying over it died at 78, a few years ago (of a car crash, as I recall). So while there's a definite correlation, it's more complex than radiation == dead.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 22, 2019

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I might have mixed greys with sieverts... Radiation units are weird.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

omeg posted:

I might have mixed greys with sieverts... Radiation units are weird.
Gray and Sieverts are both absorbed dose as far as I remember (from talking with the particle physicist that's attached to that oncological department). Sieverts account for what type of radiation it is with a simple multiplication factor; Alpha gets a 20x multiplier, Beta and Gamma get 1x multiplier. Alpha and Beta are stopped by a simple layer of clothing, whereas Gamma can go right through you.

But you are right, 60 Gray absorbed dose in the entire body, of any kind of radiation, would leave you dead within the hour.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

smh, goons always want to low-key their newfound mutant powers

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://videocardz.com/82105/intel-10th-gen-core-x-series-cascade-lake-x-final-specs-and-pricing-leaked

Cascade Lake X prices essentially halved from last gen, more or less equal to 2nd gen Threadripper core for core. Launch is Monday, stock in November.

eames
May 9, 2009

imagine buying a new X299 board in Q4/2019 :v:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cygni posted:

https://videocardz.com/82105/intel-10th-gen-core-x-series-cascade-lake-x-final-specs-and-pricing-leaked

Cascade Lake X prices essentially halved from last gen, more or less equal to 2nd gen Threadripper core for core. Launch is Monday, stock in November.

People can argue back and forth about AMD's effect on the CPU market, but I have never seen a starker example of how much better off were are because of Zen.
Forcing Intel to basically HALVE prices is stunning; we all know Intel hates cutting prices..

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

Very generous of intel to remove the firmware blacklist for 32GB ram sticks.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is there any word on ECC support? Looking at the price cuts they should be desperate enough to finally make that move.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

They're HEDT chips, so because of market segmentation of course ECC won't be available.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

K8.0 posted:

Don't even talk to me if your CPU is only running at 3.6 Roentgen.

3.6GHz? Not good.

Not terrible.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

They're HEDT chips, so because of market segmentation of course ECC won't be available.

On the other hand Intel now has actual competition and you can get ECC support on AM4 boards.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Not just on that model, either. Much if not most of ASRock's AM4 lineup claims to support ECC, but I haven't seen any reports of people actually using and verifying it. Would be curious to hear if anyone has more firsthand info there.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Holy crap if that price is accurate I may actually go Intel again even if its on the now ancient by normal Intel standards X299.

It's not like that platfrom is missing much from current gen tech. No PCI-E 4.0 but were at least 2 chipsets out from it becoming something that would actually be of performance value outside of the occasional PCI-E nVME drives that are using it now.

Still don't need to drop my X79 yet, but the urge to do so is growing little by little.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The prices listed are wholesale - MSRP for purchases of batches of 1000 units. In the videocardz leak article though the other CPU's they're showing for comparison are shown with their retail prices. These new parts are almost certainly going to be more expensive retail.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Props to Intel for having the wisdom and willingness to do the needful. Those can't have been fun conversations.

E:^^^ yeah, but still half what it was before, which also had said retail markup.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Not just on that model, either. Much if not most of ASRock's AM4 lineup claims to support ECC, but I haven't seen any reports of people actually using and verifying it. Would be curious to hear if anyone has more firsthand info there.

I'm running a pair of 16GB ECC UDIMMs (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CRC) in an ASRock X370 Taichi with an R7 1700. ECC is both detected and enabled. I have not seen a single bit error reported yet though.

code:
$ dmesg | grep -i edac
[    0.274126] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
[   14.105194] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.
[   14.105196] EDAC amd64: F17h detected (node 0).
[   14.105239] EDAC MC: UMC0 chip selects:
[   14.105241] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   14.105242] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8191MB 3:  8191MB
[   14.105243] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   14.105244] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   14.105246] EDAC MC: UMC1 chip selects:
[   14.105247] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   14.105248] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8191MB 3:  8191MB
[   14.105248] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   14.105249] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   14.105250] EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
[   14.105250] EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
[   14.105356] EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F17h: DEV 0000:00:18.3 (INTERRUPT)
[   14.105370] EDAC PCI0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller EDAC PCI controller: DEV 0000:00:18.0 (POLLED)
[   14.105371] AMD64 EDAC driver v3.5.0
$ sudo dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.0.0 present.

Handle 0x000E, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
	Use: System Memory
	Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
	Maximum Capacity: 256 GB
	Error Information Handle: 0x000D
	Number Of Devices: 4

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Microsoft also just announced Surface with AMD CPUs. There are some Intel products, too, but they mostly seemed to have a vague "next year" date.

Guess Intel used a monkey's paw to grant them the wish Microsoft wouldn't use ARM. Didn't quite work out the way they wanted.

eames
May 9, 2009

ufarn posted:

Guess Intel used a monkey's paw to grant them the wish Microsoft wouldn't use ARM. Didn't quite work out the way they wanted.

It's even more interesting than that because the Surface Pro X (:rolleyes) is using ARM (semi-custom Qualcom 7nm Snapdragon 8cx), the 13" Surface Laptop is 10nm Intel and the 15" Surface Laptop is 7nm semi-custom AMD, so Intel is feeling the pressure from both sides.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Will admit, a AMD APU in a Surface Pro would be pretty darn sweet. Though the 10 series Intel chips iGPU is supposed to be a lot better now too so I guess seeing them side by side would be cool.

I just wish someone would throw in a full fat desktop Ryzen into a mobile laptop/tablet and downclock it so it sips power but gives you full 8c/16t just for the hell of it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

eames posted:

It's even more interesting than that because the Surface Pro X (:rolleyes) is using ARM (semi-custom Qualcom 7nm Snapdragon 8cx), the 13" Surface Laptop is 10nm Intel and the 15" Surface Laptop is 7nm semi-custom AMD, so Intel is feeling the pressure from both sides.
It's 12nm AMD pretty sure. It's running zen+ with vega igpu. AMD laptops will be interesting next year. Not this one, unfortunately.

AMD did get idle power draw down significantly from the 2xxx series mobile APUs they offered and AMD has allowed anyone to update their APU drivers independent of what the manufacturer releases. That solves the two biggest drawbacks they had. I wish Intel would do the same. I have a t450s and it's stuck on ancient intel driver revisions.

Unless things change, Intel should be able to keep a lead in the laptop market. AMD's focus has not been there and Intel's offerings are highly competitive as long as they're close by in price.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 2, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Khorne posted:

It's 12nm AMD pretty sure. It's running zen+ with vega igpu. AMD laptops will be interesting next year. Not this one, unfortunately.

AMD did get idle power draw down significantly from the 2xxx series mobile APUs they offered and AMD has allowed anyone to update their APU drivers independent of what the manufacturer releases. That solves the two biggest drawbacks they had. I wish Intel would do the same. I have a t450s and it's stuck on ancient intel driver revisions.

Unless things change, Intel should be able to keep a lead in the laptop market. AMD's focus has not been there and Intel's offerings are highly competitive as long as they're close by in price.

If you haven't there are ways to force install the latest Intel iGPU driver over a OEM driver, but you have to do it manually the first time (via install other driver, have disk, pick the .inf). Run into that a lot with the current Dell's. Unless you have a really oddball unique iGPU that was only used on your system.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Microsoft is officially the mysterious customer Lakefield was designed for. Surface Neo is using it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EdEddnEddy posted:

Will admit, a AMD APU in a Surface Pro would be pretty darn sweet. Though the 10 series Intel chips iGPU is supposed to be a lot better now too so I guess seeing them side by side would be cool.

The ram differences are probably going to lead to the 64EU Ice Lake part moonwalking the Ryzen part across the board, honestly, probably including gaming. But the Ice Lake one may not exist for months, if at all in any volume, and they haven't announced prices yet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

I'm running a pair of 16GB ECC UDIMMs (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CRC) in an ASRock X370 Taichi with an R7 1700. ECC is both detected and enabled. I have not seen a single bit error reported yet though.

code:
$ dmesg | grep -i edac
[    0.274126] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
[   14.105194] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.
[   14.105196] EDAC amd64: F17h detected (node 0).
[   14.105239] EDAC MC: UMC0 chip selects:
[   14.105241] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   14.105242] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8191MB 3:  8191MB
[   14.105243] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   14.105244] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   14.105246] EDAC MC: UMC1 chip selects:
[   14.105247] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
[   14.105248] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8191MB 3:  8191MB
[   14.105248] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB
[   14.105249] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB
[   14.105250] EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
[   14.105250] EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
[   14.105356] EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F17h: DEV 0000:00:18.3 (INTERRUPT)
[   14.105370] EDAC PCI0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller EDAC PCI controller: DEV 0000:00:18.0 (POLLED)
[   14.105371] AMD64 EDAC driver v3.5.0
$ sudo dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.0.0 present.

Handle 0x000E, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
	Use: System Memory
	Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
	Maximum Capacity: 256 GB
	Error Information Handle: 0x000D
	Number Of Devices: 4
Sure, it's supported - but ECC support generally breaks down a couple of ways:
1) ECC is supported in that the system lets you POST with it
2) ECC is supported and single bit errors get corrected silently (which can be bad because what happens if a memory DIMM starts failing and producing a lot of errors?)
3) ECC is supported and single-bit errors get corrected and reported to the OS via an unmaskable interrupt (this is the most preferred option, as the OS can then decide if it shoud panic or not)
4) ECC is supported and the CPU is reset to prevent corruption (this generally happens in systems which are built with multiple levels of redundancy)
Add a couple more options for when using lock-stepped memory that can correct for two bit errors, and RAIM/memory mirroring/memory sparing which are irrelevant here.

So which is it? Unless you know beforehand, or know an engineer at Asrock, it can be an absolute pain in the arse to find out.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

My experiments point to #3. I overclocked the RAM to try to induce errors and see if they would be reported to the OS, and it actually worked. On my combination of hardware I got it to POST at DDR4-3200 and Memtest86+ reported a lot of single-bit errors while running through its various tests. ASRock firmware engineers appear to have done a good job.

Of course, I don't run it normally at those speeds, so I have not seen any reported errors in Linux.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's good. Now all we can make a list of motherboards which we know work how they should when it comes to ECC, and we can start by adding ASRock X370 Taichi.
Not that I can afford one for a new system, but for my own gratification I'd like to know if the 8 SATA ports are connected to the south bridge, as is the ASmedia controller that adds two more SATA ports?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Uh, am I missing something but isn't this the Intel thread?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
drat that AMD, it's not enough to steal Intel's marketshare, their mindshare, their process lead, their tech lead, and their lunch, but to steal their thread too? Unforgivable!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

drat that AMD, it's not enough to steal Intel's marketshare, their mindshare, their process lead, their tech lead, and their lunch, but to steal their thread too? Unforgivable!

They'll steal your threads and rip them in half

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
leave intel alone!!!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

necrobobsledder posted:

Uh, am I missing something but isn't this the Intel thread?
Like there haven't ever been any Intel derails in AMD threads, where I see a majority of the same nicknames as in this thread. There's a reason why there keep being demands to merge the threads, in each of them.

Anyway, in regards of mainboards, if you notice that one mainboard with a specific chipset supports ECC, you can be sure all the other with the same chipset, do too. They all seem to designing them modular nowadays. Everything around the CPU socket and chipset area looks the same between different variants of a series of mainboards.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think the demographics of this forum have mostly grown up past fanboy arguments of Intel vs AMD but there’ll always be a bit of crossover as was mentioned above.

Merging them is an interesting thought though...at least in the AMD thread recently, with the Ryzen launch, there’s been a ton of traffic talking about that platform, which would probably be difficult to intertwine with Intel chat also. Then again, we also have one GPU thread...

I feel like we’re in a weird valley where we need like 1.5 threads or something like that for Intel and AMD but open to hear your guys’ thoughts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
*Posts about POWER CPUs in the new thread, is killed immediately* :haw:

But seriously I like the idea of merged threads. Perhaps one that is focused on news/architecture discussion so there are less "ordered my 3900X/8700K today!" or debug support request posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
To be fair, the GPU thread has been 90% NVidia talk and 10% "if you are looking for low-end, AMD is ok, otherwise don't bother" for years, and Navi/Polaris hasn't really changed that up too much--unlike Ryzen/TR have on the CPU side, so maybe that's not the best comparison.