Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
lmao if you think that guy will make meaningful lifestyle changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
the best way to reduce your impact is to write about reducing your impact that way people know that you're reducing your impact.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Vacations are for dweebs, go to a park u kitschy fuckers. There is beauty in a leaf.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Griffen posted:

Essentially, the guy is talking out his rear end and trying to use big numbers to muddy the water. His basic claim is that it takes a lot of heat to increase the temperature of water compared to air on a per-mass basis (true). He seems to then take the measured data that show increased ocean temperatures and "prove" they're wrong by comparing the energy required to heat the ocean by that amount to the amount of energy produced by human technology. A fair comparison, if we were claiming that human industry is DIRECTLY heating the globe (we are not). He also compares the energy required to heat the ocean and calculates the required air temperature to equal that amount of energy (pointless and stupid). The man is obviously either a) stupid, or b) paid to muddy the water with his ham-fisted poo poo talking.

To debunk this, first we look at the primary mechanism for the increase in global average temperature. We are not saying that cars are directly heating the globe. Instead, all of our CO2 emissions is changing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Right now the Earth sits in front of an astronomically huge radiator that bakes our planet and keeps us from freezing. The Sun is the 800 pound gorilla of energy production, and any number this jackass can come up with is supplied by the sun. What keeps us from baking to death like Venus is that we can re-emit radiation back out into space, cooling the earth. Gasses can absorb electromagnetic radiation based on the frequency or wavelength of the incident wave. High-temperature bodies emit higher frequency waves than low-temperature bodies. CO2 happens to absorb frequencies that corresponds to the surface temperature of the Earth. This energy is then re-radiated as the CO2 molecule relaxes - but the emission is in a random direction. Thus a portion of heat that would have gone out into space is redirected back to Earth. The same phenomenon happens in your car with your windows - transparent to incident sunlight, but opaque to thermal emission from your car seat.

So what is happening is that the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is tilting the balance towards slightly more heat being trapped, which shifts the equilibrium temperature slightly higher (add in all the other mechanisms that climatologists study). All those mega Joules of energy needed to warm the oceans? It's coming from that giant-rear end ball of fusion in the sky, providing 1 kW/m^2. Really rough estimate puts total solar energy input at 1.27x10^17 W. Heating the ocean by 1 degree C with that kind of energy would take a year and a half. Now, sure, there's more to the world than the oceans, and there's also radiative cooling. But for this guy to trot out 6x10^24 J as some kind of mind boggling number that defies science is ludicrous. Tweaking the energy balance of the planet takes time, but we've been working hard at it for over a century and a half. We're not providing the heat, we're just rolling the windows up and wondering why the car is getting so hot.

gently caress that guy for claiming to be a scientist.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Griffen, i think that's actually the best / most penetrable explanation of the physics mechanics I've heard. Thanks!
double emptyquote

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/shipping-pollution-sea-open-loop-scrubber-carbon-dioxide-environment-a9123181.html

quote:

Global shipping companies have spent billions rigging vessels with “cheat devices” that circumvent new environmental legislation by dumping pollution into the sea instead of the air, The Independent can reveal.

More than $12bn (£9.7bn) has been spent on the devices, known as open-loop scrubbers, which extract sulphur from the exhaust fumes of ships that run on heavy fuel oil.

This means the vessels meet standards demanded by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) that kick in on 1 January.

lmao

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

So I had a suspicion about what "Open Loop Scrubber" actually means here. A ridiculously quick Google search later, I landed on the patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/US9216376.

quote:

(a) providing a seawater;
(b) enhancing a SOx adsorption capacity of the seawater to pre-determined levels by controlled dosing with at least one alkaline additive substances introduced from a storage of fresh alkaline additive onboard, and/or an alkaline solution produced from the cathode side of an electrochemical cell and/or their combination thereof to form an alkaline seawater with a pH ranging from 8 to 12; and
(c) contacting an exhaust gas with the alkaline seawater as a scrubbing agent, to produce an exhaust with reduced content of sulphur oxides and a used scrubbing agent;

Basically, they literally just run the exhaust through PH-balanced sea water. They might as well just put the exhaust pipe underwater and call it a day. It's THAT bad.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 3, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
My chemistry is weak - what I'm seeing from this is a ship in the restricted waters of a harbour surrounded by a halo of acidic water with high sulphur and godnosewhatelse exhaust poisons in it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Conspiratiorist posted:

lmao if you think that guy will make meaningful lifestyle changes

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

the best way to reduce your impact is to write about reducing your impact that way people know that you're reducing your impact.

He did stop flying though and campaigns for it now. And does write for one of the biggest papers in Sweden, so yes I do think he has had an impact.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

My chemistry is weak - what I'm seeing from this is a ship in the restricted waters of a harbour surrounded by a halo of acidic water with high sulphur and godnosewhatelse exhaust poisons in it?

I don't know why they would bother with such devices, the entire shipping industry worldwide is set to (finally) switch to low-sulphur bunker fuels by 2020.
Of course the petrol industry had to be dragged there kicking and screaming that cleaning up ship fuel the same way as Diesel would raise prices a bit, and that storing all that sulphur safely somewhere is an inconvenience.

...just kidding of course, they leave it sitting in huge open pits, visible from space

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 3, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's kinda sad how desperate people are to one weird trick, owned climatetards their way out of this mess. Check out the view numbers on this article:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/feart.2019.00223/full

Articles in 2.7 impact factor journals otherwise, uh, "rather rarely" manage to rack up those numbers :v:

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

tuyop posted:

I’ve been explaining radiative forcing like this:

Imagine a 1x1 metre section of the planet. When the sun hits this, a portion of the heat energy gets absorbed and a lot of it bounces back into the atmosphere and then out to space maybe two watts of that stays in the air. As the CO2 in the atmosphere increases, that wattage goes up. And the RCPs represent amounts of watts that stay in the air and add energy to the whole system.

Is that accurate?

It's close, with a few nit-picky distinctions. First, most of the solar energy is absorbed if it makes it to the surface, depending on surface conditions. That's why cloud cover, white polar ice, and similar surfaces are so important - they reflect more than they absorb. The ocean absorbs most incident solar radiation, while white ice reflects most; remelted ice or particulate-contaminated black ice absorbs energy. I'm not sure how much is reflected off the atmosphere, I think UV absorption by the ozone layer is selective just to UV radiation. The amount of energy radiated by a hot body goes with the fourth power of temperature, so the Sun's heat flux (radiated power per unit area) at it's surface is vastly higher than that of the earth. That is mitigated by the distance away from the Sun our planet sits, but even by the time it reaches the Earth, solar radiation has a higher flux than the Earth's radiative cooling. It's similar to using a heat lamp - the incident heat flux is higher than the heat flux out of the body, so the body will slowly heat up until its emitted heat equals the incident heat (in a restaurant food line, convective cooling also plays a part, but we don't have that in space). A key distinction is that the wavelength of the energy radiated from the Earth is very different from the wavelength of solar radiation (which is a wide spectrum, but mostly infrared to UV I think). The Earth is emitting mostly in infrared or below. Thus the fraction of energy that is captured and redirected by CO2 is much higher for the Earth's thermal emissions than the Sun's.

The RCPs, if I'm reading them correctly, are modeled projections of how the atmosphere's greenhouse gas content (in terms of effective CO2 concentration) will evolve over time based on our emissions. I don't know how many of them take into account feedback loops like permafrost melting, so that is a whole other can of worms. So as the effective CO2 concentration goes up, the amount of thermal radiation redirected by CO2 and other GHGs increases, tipping the thermal balance. It isn't so much that the power is deposited into the air (which the whack job was trying to use as a means of disproving climate change) but rather into the entire global system. Heat deposited into the oceans will spread out, via convection in the ocean, evaporation into the atmosphere, storm systems, etc. Hurricanes getting stronger? That's the excess thermal energy trying to spread out and relax the system.

As for a metaphor, I'm currently trying to replace my home's windows. A window salesman was demonstrating their new low-emissivity coating that they put on windows to reduce radiative heat transfer into or out of the home. As a demo, he put up a model window and put a heat lamp on the other side of it. Without the window, you can feel the heat flux from the lamp, but with the window in the way, you can't feel a thing - the coating on the window reflects the heat back to the lamp. In our case, the Earth is the heat lamp, and the low-emissivity coating is CO2 in the atmosphere. The incident light from the Sun comes through the window just fine, but as the Earth tries to re-radiate heat back out into space, the CO2 redirects the heat back to Earth. The danger is that a little shift in CO2 concentrations shifts the equilibrium conditions of that thermal balance, which can have large shifts down the line. The Earth has a lot of thermal inertia, so the process takes a long time, which is why it is so easy to ignore.

TL,DR - your analogy is functionally correct, I'm just a nit-pick.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

sauer kraut posted:

I don't know why they would bother with such devices, the entire shipping industry worldwide is set to (finally) switch to low-sulphur bunker fuels by 2020.

I think it's an either/or situation. New rules require less crap out the stack, cleaner fuel or scrubbing the exhaust - your choice rich ship owners.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sauer kraut posted:

Of course the petrol industry had to be dragged there kicking and screaming that cleaning up ship fuel the same way as Diesel would raise prices a bit, and that storing all that sulphur safely somewhere is an inconvenience.

...just kidding of course, they leave it sitting in huge open pits, visible from space

This is the hilarious part of the guys in Energy Generation thread arguing "Natural Gas" will be clean and regulated.

These guys never abide regulation. They always do the least amount required or try to hide issues.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean, there's also the simple fact that natural gas generation is a thing right now and it is neither clean nor well regulated.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Griffen posted:

It's close, with a few nit-picky distinctions. First, most of the solar energy is absorbed if it makes it to the surface, depending on surface conditions. That's why cloud cover, white polar ice, and similar surfaces are so important - they reflect more than they absorb. The ocean absorbs most incident solar radiation, while white ice reflects most; remelted ice or particulate-contaminated black ice absorbs energy. I'm not sure how much is reflected off the atmosphere, I think UV absorption by the ozone layer is selective just to UV radiation. The amount of energy radiated by a hot body goes with the fourth power of temperature, so the Sun's heat flux (radiated power per unit area) at it's surface is vastly higher than that of the earth. That is mitigated by the distance away from the Sun our planet sits, but even by the time it reaches the Earth, solar radiation has a higher flux than the Earth's radiative cooling. It's similar to using a heat lamp - the incident heat flux is higher than the heat flux out of the body, so the body will slowly heat up until its emitted heat equals the incident heat (in a restaurant food line, convective cooling also plays a part, but we don't have that in space). A key distinction is that the wavelength of the energy radiated from the Earth is very different from the wavelength of solar radiation (which is a wide spectrum, but mostly infrared to UV I think). The Earth is emitting mostly in infrared or below. Thus the fraction of energy that is captured and redirected by CO2 is much higher for the Earth's thermal emissions than the Sun's.

The RCPs, if I'm reading them correctly, are modeled projections of how the atmosphere's greenhouse gas content (in terms of effective CO2 concentration) will evolve over time based on our emissions. I don't know how many of them take into account feedback loops like permafrost melting, so that is a whole other can of worms. So as the effective CO2 concentration goes up, the amount of thermal radiation redirected by CO2 and other GHGs increases, tipping the thermal balance. It isn't so much that the power is deposited into the air (which the whack job was trying to use as a means of disproving climate change) but rather into the entire global system. Heat deposited into the oceans will spread out, via convection in the ocean, evaporation into the atmosphere, storm systems, etc. Hurricanes getting stronger? That's the excess thermal energy trying to spread out and relax the system.

As for a metaphor, I'm currently trying to replace my home's windows. A window salesman was demonstrating their new low-emissivity coating that they put on windows to reduce radiative heat transfer into or out of the home. As a demo, he put up a model window and put a heat lamp on the other side of it. Without the window, you can feel the heat flux from the lamp, but with the window in the way, you can't feel a thing - the coating on the window reflects the heat back to the lamp. In our case, the Earth is the heat lamp, and the low-emissivity coating is CO2 in the atmosphere. The incident light from the Sun comes through the window just fine, but as the Earth tries to re-radiate heat back out into space, the CO2 redirects the heat back to Earth. The danger is that a little shift in CO2 concentrations shifts the equilibrium conditions of that thermal balance, which can have large shifts down the line. The Earth has a lot of thermal inertia, so the process takes a long time, which is why it is so easy to ignore.

TL,DR - your analogy is functionally correct, I'm just a nit-pick.

That’s very helpful, thanks! And my audience tends to be lay professionals/tradespeople and students so I have to avoid terms like incident radiation and heat flux. :)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

aphid_licker posted:

It's kinda sad how desperate people are to one weird trick, owned climatetards their way out of this mess. Check out the view numbers on this article:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/feart.2019.00223/full

Articles in 2.7 impact factor journals otherwise, uh, "rather rarely" manage to rack up those numbers :v:

The unavoidable conclusion is that a temperature signal from anthropogenic CO2 emissions (if any) cannot have been, nor presently can be, evidenced in climate observables.

https://www.heartland.org/about-us/who-we-are/patrick-frank

Nice. A paid denier shill.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I found a new climate denier argument, or at least one I've never seen in the wild. The following is .text

So I was thinking. Here's a question about "experts". And I don't want to debate, but asking a real life question. Based on "facts and science" the nutritional
table has been turned upside down and flip flopped more times than we can all count. If we can't even trust the experts on that, how can we trust the so called experts about climate change, when obviously the world is in constant change? Just curious. Plus I'm bored at work.

Theres more rambling about how "many scientists" have predicted the world to end numerous times since 1918.

I'm sure hed bring up Pluto's classification as another example to distrust experts. It's just such a wacky argument.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PneumonicBook posted:

I found a new climate denier argument, or at least one I've never seen in the wild. The following is .text

So I was thinking. Here's a question about "experts". And I don't want to debate, but asking a real life question. Based on "facts and science" the nutritional
table has been turned upside down and flip flopped more times than we can all count. If we can't even trust the experts on that, how can we trust the so called experts about climate change, when obviously the world is in constant change? Just curious. Plus I'm bored at work.

Theres more rambling about how "many scientists" have predicted the world to end numerous times since 1918.

I'm sure hed bring up Pluto's classification as another example to distrust experts. It's just such a wacky argument.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean yeah, nutrition science has published a lot of trash over the years. They do deserve some blame for constantly putting out low significance studies with tissue thin conclusions that get picked up in the media and become a constant barrage of conflicting messages. It certainly doesn't make people confident in science.

Not to mention the sugar bribery debacle.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There's a lot of trash science out there, but like a solid 95% of the blame rests with media outlets for failing to hire people who can actually understand what they're reading and report on it properly. A lot of mistrust in science comes from the media's insistence on reporting anything written by a scientist as absolute truth, which naturally makes people suspicious when those same "facts" are refuted a few years later.

Better science education would help too, but it's mostly just poo poo reporting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Trash science is largely driven by... :capitalism:.

The Egg Institute of Egg Science has found that you should eat all the Eggs every day. But you can't own your own chickens.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

PneumonicBook posted:

Trying to sow doubt along experts is an extremely old denialist trick. They neglect to mention that climate science is full of debate and disagreement like any other field. The fact that a bunch of contentious scientists can come to the level of consensus they do is a testament to how clear the signal is. The only people left doubting are non peer reviewed fools on blogs that are anywhere from useful idiots to paid agitprop.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress the dairy industry

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 4, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress the dairy industry

Yeah see here's the thing. People have to eat. If you make a list of polluting industries on a cost/benefit scale (which is what we should do), just about every single industry on earth is more damaging than any food production in general.

That said, should factory farms, beef production and industry farming be heavily curtailed and farming made renewable with electrification and sustainable practices? Absolutely.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah see here's the thing. People have to eat. If you make a list of polluting industries on a cost/benefit scale (which is what we should do), just about every single industry on earth is more damaging than any food production in general.

That said, should factory farms, beef production and industry farming be heavily curtailed and farming made renewable with electrification and sustainable practices? Absolutely.

People don't have to eat meat. We are massively over-eating animal products and its aiding in killing our planet.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 4, 2019

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The meat industry does not need to exist and should not. It's one of those things that needs to go in its entirety.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

People don't have to eat meat. We are massively over-eating animal products and its aiding in killing our planet.

People don't have to have children either. We're still overpopulating the globe. Hell, if we need to give everything on the cost/benefit spectrum equal attention, ambulances run on gas and really really shouldn't. Should we focus on that too?

While probably nobody serious in this thread supports the meat industry, us inevitably killing off fish everywhere means our protein needs to come from somewhere. Should it be factory beef/dairy farms? Absolutely not, those should go. Is every single instance of meat production and or dairy production evil and should be dispensed with? Well, one surefire way to turn public opinion against you is to gently caress with people's food supply. If you want effective action against emissions, "gently caress the dairy industry" is not helpful.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Plants have protein

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Eat some drat tofu you maniac.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You: Our protein has to come from somewhere!

Me:

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 4, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
But how will I buy my $30 sheepskin rugs at Costco if we end the mutton industry? :confused:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There is no excuse for eating beef.

(from here, last year)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

People have to eat (vegetables and some nuts to survive).

Indeed. We'd be fine not being carnivores. Good point.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
If you need animal protein so bad just eat cricket powder, or poultry if you’re a baby

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

There is no excuse for eating beef.

(from here, last year)

It tastes good.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

If you need animal protein so bad just eat cricket powder

Congratulations, you just lost half of your Green New Deal support. NPOF's point was that while there are certainly better ways of realigning the agricultural sector, blanket statements like "ban all meat," "eat some drat tofu you maniac," etc. will lose you support from people who are otherwise on-board with massive structural reform. There are a lot of regions that are agriculturally productive for grazing animals, and there's nothing wrong with using that land for that purpose. You're not going to grow wheat in Wyoming without massive and unsustainable irrigation, but you can do organic grass-fed livestock for meat & dairy. It is simply looking at the land at asking "what most effectively and sustainably can be raised here? Sometimes that will be tasty animals.

I think we all agree that factory animal farms need to go as unsustainable. We all agree that the age of meat every day is unsustainable and needs to end. People need to eat more plant protein as humans did before 1800, no one argues that. Demanding that everyone lives on cricket dust and tofu and they should like it or forever be an enemy of progress... that is you being unreasonable, illogical, and pedantic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I recall once seeing some kind of documentary on how cattle raising essentially destroys the Great Plains' biodiversity since they aren't adapted to it like bison were and gently caress the place up by trampling everything, especially near water. Wish I could remember what it was, think it was some kind of Dateline-type show had an episode on that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

I recall once seeing some kind of documentary on how cattle raising essentially destroys the Great Plains' biodiversity since they aren't adapted to it like bison were and gently caress the place up by trampling everything, especially near water. Wish I could remember what it was, think it was some kind of Dateline-type show had an episode on that.

Luckily bison is both naturally adapted to the Great Plains and delicious.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Griffen posted:

Congratulations, you just lost half of your Green New Deal support.

This is not the slam dunk argument you seem to think it is. If going one step too far turns supporters into people who say "you know what? let's actually let the planet burn" then you never had the support of those people in the first place. When you say this, you're essentially saying that these people are just as unwilling to compromise as the person that you're complaining about and that no middle ground can be reached.

I'm not going to bother addressing the rest of your post because it doesn't really have anything to do with the point I'm making, I'm just sick of this particular talking point. You're not helping your argument, you're just reinforcing the position of the people you're trying to convince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

This is not the slam dunk argument you seem to think it is. If going one step too far turns supporters into people who say "you know what? let's actually let the planet burn" then you never had the support of those people in the first place. When you say this, you're essentially saying that these people are just as unwilling to compromise as the person that you're complaining about and that no middle ground can be reached.

I'm not going to bother addressing the rest of your post because it doesn't really have anything to do with the point I'm making, I'm just sick of this particular talking point. You're not helping your argument, you're just reinforcing the position of the people you're trying to convince.

Then the takeaway I'm getting from your argument is that unless you/whatever reform movement doesn't get 100% of their demands, then it isn't worth doing. Let's say you have a GND with 90% of your policy initiatives but it doesn't include banning meat - do you say that the people willing to enact this 90% plan didn't really support it since they won't go 100% of what you want? Isn't the crisis we're facing now not a matter of getting some silver bullet reform through (since we're going to hit 2 deg C of heating now no matter what we do), but to improve whatever we can to slow the bleeding (make it 2-3 deg C of heating rather than 7 deg C)? If you want to be all purist, go for it, don't let me stop you. But don't complain that nothing is getting done if all you want is complete and total transformation that people are unwilling to do. I'd rather get a good set of policy reforms than dream of a perfect set of reforms that will never happen.

A point some people seem to be ignoring is that we don't live in an ideal world where it is simply down to selecting a plan that solves all problems, but rather it is trying to figure out what plans can we push forward that will actually get enacted. Saying "full communism revolt of the ecological cricket-eating proletariat now!" may make you feel good, but that doesn't change the grim reality we are facing. Is it unreasonable that people are unwilling to let go of creature comforts that are unsustainable and are only exacerbating the problem? Yes. However, that is the reality we are in. Human nature is as much a force in play as the climate. Any change you want to make on the climate first has to go through the system that is human nature, and ignoring those impacts is just as dangerous as ignoring CO2 feedback mechanisms. Just like it's harder to make an alcoholic smoker quit both habits cold turkey, it's harder to transform multiple sectors of society at once, particularly for sensitive things like the food supply. That's why reforming energy, transportation, and other large sectors is an easier pill to swallow first. You want to make everyone eat crickets? Fine, show me how you plan on convincing them to do so that accounts for our unwillingness to accept change on such an emotional level. Otherwise you're also just reinforcing the position of the people you're trying to convince.