Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Still woulda been nice if China had decided to build even 25 new nuclear reactors back in the 90s in place of at least some of the massive coal power expansion they did from then through the early 2010s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Still woulda been nice if China had decided to build even 25 new nuclear reactors back in the 90s in place of at least some of the massive coal power expansion they did from then through the early 2010s.

Their first nuclear power reactor was 1991, and was largely a very low output design (325MW), so this is really a pretty new industry for them but most of their new reactors are Gen III minimum. They've ramped up really quickly, largely using modified designs from other countries, especially France.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

Their first nuclear power reactor was 1991, and was largely a very low output design (325MW), so this is really a pretty new industry for them but most of their new reactors are Gen III minimum. They've ramped up really quickly, largely using modified designs from other countries, especially France.

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/03/28/china-new-coal-plants-2030-climate/

quote:

The largest power producers in China have asked the government to allow for the development of between 300 and 500 new coal power plants by 2030 in a move that could single-handedly jeopardise global climate change targets.

It comes as coal-fired power capacity additions in 2018 slowed to their lowest rate since 2004, both in China and globally, though carbon emissions from the sector continued to rise, according to the International Energy Agency.

In its review of the government’s five-year-plan, China Electricity Council (CEC) – the influential industry body representing China’s power industry – recommended adopting a ‘cap’ for coal power capacity by 2030 — but the 1300GW limit proposed is 290GW higher than current capacity. The target is for the country’s coal-fired capacity to continue to grow until peaking in 2030.

The cap would enable China to build 2 large coal power stations a month for the next 12 years, and grow the country’s capacity by an amount nearly twice the size of Europe’s total coal capacity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-19/china-s-far-from-done-with-coal-as-regulator-eases-new-plant-ban

quote:

China allowed 11 provinces and regions to resume building coal power plants, in another sign that the world’s largest energy user is far from finished with the most-polluting fossil fuel.

The National Energy Administration forecast that only 10 provinces and regions would have an excess of coal-fired electricity generation capacity in 2022, down from last year’s outlook for a glut in 21 areas by 2021. That means 11 areas can start building plants again, as the overcapacity label had suspended construction of new projects until the issue was addressed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

And your answer to this is: Sell them subsidized Natural Gas, which means increase in fracking/drilling in the US, which means increased methane emissions, which means a net increase in greenhouse gasses.

What a solution.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

And your answer to this is: Sell them subsidized Natural Gas, which means increase in fracking/drilling in the US, which means increased methane emissions, which means a net increase in greenhouse gasses.

I don't know why you keep making up things and attributing them to me. Well really I do know, you're just enjoying the rage-boner you're getting from shouting at people on the internet. But it suffices to say that is not my answer to this, it has never been my answer to this, and I have never offered it as an answer to this and you should stop with the strawman histrionics.

But perhaps you'd like to retract this, now?

CommieGIR posted:

But its DOESN'T MATTER WHAT CHINA DOES.

Because it very obviously does matter what China does.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
China is also building a massive network of high speed railways, which will be quite helpful. And they've been fighting desertification with huge reforestation projects. Basically the Chinese method of doing big projects is exactly the kind of methodology that the rest of the world needs to adopt. They're building coal plants because they want to bring the rural areas into line with the rest of the country, and they need power to do that. The best way to influence that towards clean energy is to fund publicly accessible research into improved solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear designs, and to make environmental issues part of any trade negotiations (i.e. Elizabeth Warren's plan to do just that)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kaal posted:

China is also building a massive network of high speed railways, which will be quite helpful. And they've been fighting desertification with huge reforestation projects. Basically the Chinese method of doing big projects is exactly the kind of methodology that the rest of the world needs to adopt. They're building coal plants because they want to bring the rural areas into line with the rest of the country, and they need power to do that. The best way to influence that towards clean energy is to fund publicly accessible research into improved solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear designs, and to make environmental issues part of any trade negotiations (i.e. Elizabeth Warren's plan to do just that)

Do you have a link too this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Because it very obviously does matter what China does.

Context must be hard for you: Your argument was "china is building coal plants, so lets give them gas. But since China is the world's major emitter, what does it matter if we emit?"

That's why China doesn't matter IN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT WE NEED TO DO WITH OUR ENERGY GENERATION FRAMED AROUND REACTING TO THE CLIMATE CRISIS

Take that whataboutism and walk.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Context must be hard for you: Your argument was "china is building coal plants, so lets give them gas.

At no point did I argue this. I think you're having trouble following who you're arguing with.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tab8715 posted:

Do you have a link too this?

Elizabeth Warren published an article on Medium talking about her intended changes to trade policy, and has brought it up several times in the debates. In short she wants to reformulate the American approach to trade policy, and ensure that more stakeholders are involved in the process - expressly including environmentalists, union reps, and other critical perspectives that are often shut out of discussions by the Republican elites.

https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/new-approach-trade

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/trade-on-our-terms-ad861879feca

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

At no point did I argue this. I think you're having trouble following who you're arguing with.

Forgive me, it may have been one of the other Natural Gas advocates, not you.

Regardless: "clean natural gas" is just as much a misnomer as "clean coal" was. Its not clean. Its 'better', but still loaded with environmental baggage, and advocating for another fossil fuel just to shift from one to the other, especially in natural gasses case where its 4 x as potent as CO2 as a greenhouse gas, makes no sense especially give the current crises we face.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m at a regional entity conference and a NERC director claimed in his presentation during an aside on the rate of battery storage rollout that it would take 200 years at current production rates to run the US grid for one night. Looking good!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tab8715 posted:

That does not meet demand. We cannot simply build enough solar, wind, nuclear, geothermal, etc. fast enough to replace the loss of power from fossil fuels.

Shut down fossil fuels as quickly as practical under a max speed renewable/nuke rollout instead of replacing fossil fuels with different fossil fuels. You imbecile. You loving moron.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Wow, I haven't kept up with the thread for a few days and wasn't expecting to read/skim 300 new posts about how fossil fuels are actually good, you guys.

Wind is now cheaper than the cost of fueling existing natural gas facilities:

Wind power prices now lower than the cost of natural gas

quote:

As a result, recent wind farms have gotten so cheap that you can build and operate them for less than the expected cost of buying fuel for an equivalent natural gas plant.
That puts wind in an incredibly competitive position. The report uses an estimate of future natural gas prices that show an extremely gradual rise of about $10/MW-hr out to 2050. But natural gas—on its own, without considering the cost of a plant to burn it for electricity—is already over $20/MW-hr. That means wind sited in the center of the US is already cheaper than fueling a natural gas plant, and wind sited elsewhere is roughly equal.

So I don't even think we need to worry that much about gas/fracking, wind is going to eat its lunch.

(I'm not saying anything at all about nukes, nukes are fine we should build some, all hail the mighty Nuke and whatever else to appease the church of nuke)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Family Values posted:

Wow, I haven't kept up with the thread for a few days and wasn't expecting to read/skim 300 new posts about how fossil fuels are actually good, you guys.

Wind is now cheaper than the cost of fueling existing natural gas facilities:

Wind power prices now lower than the cost of natural gas

So I don't even think we need to worry that much about gas/fracking, wind is going to eat its lunch.

(I'm not saying anything at all about nukes, nukes are fine we should build some, all hail the mighty Nuke and whatever else to appease the church of nuke)

The swath of land from Texas to Canada is the "Saudi Arabia of Wind Energy Potential". We need a grid that can distribute this.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Family Values posted:

Later this week I’ll scour the internet for the most basic global energy consumption numbers.

Just finding something now shows Renewables and Nuclear only account for a just a third of current demand.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

Later this week I’ll scour the internet for the most basic global energy consumption numbers.

Just finding something now shows Renewables and Nuclear only account for a just a third of current demand.

Sure is weird how when you've built far more fossil than renewable and nuke, renewable and nuke aren't a majority yet, huh?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Strange, I thought you were discussing future capacity.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

That's electricity production, not energy consumption. Nuclear and renewables are roughly a third of electrical demand, but only about 10% of energy demand.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Let's see what the IPCC says about gas:

Good luck getting wind projects approved, even in California

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

Let's see what the IPCC says about gas:

Good luck getting wind projects approved, even in California

"Provided the fugitive emissions associated with extraction are low or mitigated"

Given the current state of our administration, and the batshit insane push to deregulate emissions and environmental, that situation does not exist. And given what IPCC has now said about actual emissions and data exceeding even their most dire of models, we cannot afford to risk it anymore.

Fossil fuels for power do not have a future in our current crisis unless we simply give in to accepting that we're going to see 2 degree + of average climate increase.

Stop proposing Natural Gas as a "environmentally sound" solution, because we don't live in that scenario. Trump is in the White House, Gas/Oil lobbyists run the EPA, and we're in the middle of repealing the clean air and water acts. This is not a conducive environment to proposing Natural Gas as a "clean solution".

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trump is in the White House preventing regulation of gas, so let’s use magic to do other things despite Trump being in the White House is a good take.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Trump is in the White House preventing regulation of gas, so let’s use magic to do other things despite Trump being in the White House is a good take.

Even when Trump is out of the white house, the damage he's done to regulation is going to take some time to fix. So we don't need to encourage the Natural Gas path.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I don’t understand what this post is supposed to imply? That we’re doomed and we should do nothing? That trying to build more nuke/renewable generation is impossible so why try?

At what point does it make sense to just say “we should stop using natural gas”? When everyone already agrees?

What are you gaining by acting like it’s pragmatic to support anything but renewables and nukes?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 3, 2019

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

perhaps the problem is that you're expecting us to pull ardent energy out of loving hell itself build nuclear reactors and solar farms and wind farms and poo poo like that. if you want to continue to consume power at this rate, you're going to have to break a few habitable ecosystems.

my only advice is to start with the ecosystems that the 1% use :v:

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of you is famous.

https://twitter.com/realsaavedra/status/1179908480322289664?s=21

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

She makes a strong case.

https://youtu.be/Bd8bQYD5I5I

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, someone has to modernise A Modest Proposal for TYOOL 2019,

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venomous posted:

I mean, someone has to modernise A Modest Proposal for TYOOL 2019,

https://twitter.com/comfortablysmug/status/1180110188952588288?s=21

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hello my fellow marxists. Who of us wouldn't want to try a baby if it weren't illegal, am I right? Hoooo boy, I sure would *clumsily adjusts hidden microphone*

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
She was a Larouche, so that could still, odsly, follow.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Cage-free, organic babies are a nice sentiment but the economies of scale are just unfeasible once you try and feed a global population.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kids learn this on Sesame Street from Cookie Monster, this isn't that hard. Babies are a 'sometimes' food.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This was done by - no surprise - some right wingers trying to discredit AOC.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This was done by - no surprise - some right wingers trying to discredit AOC.

LaRouchites are such weird, culty people, even for Republicans. I remember when he came to the Oregon High School Mock World Congress and they all got thrown out after his speech because some of them were snorting cocaine in the bathroom.

AOC, for her part, just thought the woman was either mentally ill or having some sort of crisis breakdown. Which is adorably empathetic, and also a very funny interpretation of a LaRouchite doing their schtick.

I'm sure she's privately-thinking: "Oh you're an idiot Republican? I thought you were just broken."

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 4, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I would have really liked AOC to make a Swift reference to make it seem like the Nazi was joking, but oh well

Venomous fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 4, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Kaal posted:

LaRouchites are such weird, culty people, even for Republicans.

LaRouche never ran as Republican. He ran as a Democrat 7 times. The only elections LaRouchian candidates have won, have been as Democrats.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 4, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

LaRouche never ran as Republican. He ran as a Democrat 7 times.

His disciples seem to be unaware of that. People making Larouchie arguments are invariably Republicans.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

His disciples seem to be unaware of that. People making Larouchie arguments are invariably Republicans.

This is revisionism in the plainest sense. LaRouche started as a *leftist* movement, and LaRouche himself was a Marxist.

The LaRouchies want to reinstate Glass-Stegall, nationalize the banks, put a moratorium on farm and third-world debt, nationalize the steel industry, and implement FDR-style infrastructure development. They also are global-warming denialists, thought the ozone hole was a hoax, wanted to quarantine AIDS patients, and opposed the Gulf War.

Cults don’t fit nearly on the whole Republican-Democrat axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

LaRouchites don't have a coherent political philosophy, and their ideas vary wildly depending on the current issues du jour and the location of each group, but are nonetheless largely composed of Republicans.

Which largely makes sense if you think about what kind of voters are going to be interested in backing a cult of personality who's political views are dominated by conspiracy theories and rabid anti-minority rabble-rousing.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 4, 2019