Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jarvisi posted:

I'm looking for some new local multiplayer games.

I've got tricky towers, crawl, and chicken horse. Any opinions on Full Metal Furies or otherwise?

Under the radar gems:

-Super blood hockey
-Broforce

Both games are fantastic and my local gaming friends and I have put tons of hours in both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Vegetable posted:

This does not look comfortable

I can't believe an engineer sat down for weeks (months?) to design that thing. That seems like a lot of work for something not a lot of people will buy.

People have been buying it for fifteen years

https://gizmodo.com/horis-dragonquest-slime-controller-for-ps2-24284

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at this point that nerds with disposable income buy literally anything.

Funko Pops exist guys

Which are totally different and lamer than Amiibo am I right?

(Yes they are because Amiibo at least work as a DLCish thing and you get in game rewards for them)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was a few clicks away from buying the Slime Switch controller last week.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at this point that nerds with disposable income buy literally anything.

it looks cool

Len posted:

Funko Pops exist guys

Which are totally different and lamer than Amiibo am I right?

(Yes they are because Amiibo at least work as a DLCish thing and you get in game rewards for them)

That makes amiibo worse, not better

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Funkos are usually cheaper depending on what they are.

For most properties the aesthetic is just terrible but I have a good Scrooge McDuck one that was $7

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm actually pretty shocked they didn't do a slime amiibo. Hero is getting one for Smash, but they do like to release singular amiibos for notable releases, like Diablo III and Dark Souls.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the slime controller is goo-reat, idiots

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Does the slime controller have NFC? Cause that makes it, like, the king of amiibos

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love my useless Solaire amiibo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm actually pretty shocked they didn't do a slime amiibo. Hero is getting one for Smash, but they do like to release singular amiibos for notable releases, like Diablo III and Dark Souls.

At least for the D3 amiibo it was just a treasure goblin toy that Thinkgeek had a couple hundred cases of that they slapped a chip in.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Len posted:

As emergency sales of thousand(s) of dollars of niche crap on SA-Mart / the nerdy internet at large have shown, even the disposable part doesn't have to be true.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've heard people speculate that the whole line is on its way out, with the Link's Awakening and Smash as the last figures. Fire Emblem didn't get any. You'd think Nintendo would announce one for Luigi's Mansion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I miss every first party game having a special edition with a unique amiibo. I'd much prefer that over art books and steel books.

I imagine it was probably becoming a pain to think up integration gimmicks for every game that no one bothered using.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I miss every first party game having a special edition with a unique amiibo. I'd much prefer that over art books and steel books.

I imagine it was probably becoming a pain to think up integration gimmicks for every game that no one bothered using.

I feel like a large part was retailers being dissatisfied with the whole genre. Nintendo took a big gamble and assumed that your average person wanted every single animal crossing villager and those things sat on shelves for years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obscure characters nobody fuckin cares about were selling out left and right. It was impossible to understand.

But not impossible to predict nobody wanted a Mario Party game with animal crossing characters where you had to scan a character to roll the loving dice

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I feel like a large part was retailers being dissatisfied with the whole genre. Nintendo took a big gamble and assumed that your average person wanted every single animal crossing villager and those things sat on shelves for years.

Toys To Life died as a whole because only some of the line would sell, and the rest would just sit eating shelf space in perpetuity, because who really wants a Disney figurine of some minor side character from a film? Lego Dimensions seemed to do okay off of just being Lego at least, and the game was pretty fun.

Amiibo, aside from Animal Crossing, seem to do okay still. There never really seems to be like that one definitive unsold one in every store, just a selection of random older amiibo as well as the latest releases.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

I'm looking for some new local multiplayer games.

I've got tricky towers, crawl, and chicken horse. Any opinions on Full Metal Furies or otherwise?

Golf Story multiplayer is pretty chill and fun

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I still see Animal Crossing amiibos on the shelf with clearance stickers from time to time. They’re the ET cartridges of amiibos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah a lot of people like Animal Crossing well enough but what sick gently caress would want multiple animals from the game on their shelf?

Owl man, dog girl and racoon monster maybe. But beyond that you'd have to be an actual serial killer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Like most horrible things Nintendo did during that era, it was related to the Wii U. Surely if we make an Animal Crossing board game and shovel out amiibo for it people will learn to love the c string characters.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
When the Switch came out, our local chains only sold them bundled with 3 Animal Crossing Amiibo, not free. So now I have Isabelle, Nook, and the daughter of the museum owl, both of whose names I forget.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah a lot of people like Animal Crossing well enough but what sick gently caress would want multiple animals from the game on their shelf?

Owl man, dog girl and racoon monster maybe. But beyond that you'd have to be an actual serial killer.

Well don't forget guitar dog.

I actually have a bunch of the things because they were insanely cheap little rewards for good behavior for my kid

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1179788202262970369

There are three games in Sega's "Puzzle & Action" arcade series (and I guess four if you count Bonanza Bros. since that was kind of the spiritual predecessor). Tant-R (the first game) was a 1993 Japan-only game translated in English and released in the west as part of the PS2 Sega Classics Collection, which itself was a compilation of some of the Sega Ages 2500 series released in Japan. Sand-R (the third game) was a 1995 game that strangely got an arcade release in North America in 1997 as "Puzzle & Action: Treasure Hunt" but the Saturn port didn't get released outside of Japan. Ichidant-R (the second game) was released in 1994 and this will be the first time it has gotten an official English translation release in the west. I've heard them compared to WarioWare but less frantic, however they're more comparable to Namco's light gun game series "Point Blank" in which you are given a series of mini-games to complete. The game is also more of a two-player affair.

As for Columns II, this will be the first time it gets a release outside of Japan. It was originally released in arcades and then later got a Saturn port as part of the Saturn's Sega Ages lineup. It is including the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of the original Columns as a bonus game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd love a KK Slider Amiibo but I settled for Mr. Resetti.

I only have six others and they are all Link variants and Solaire. Having a whole LoZ would be excellent but I'm not going to pay a premium for them.

Edit: Oh, the Slider/Llama 3 pack is only 10 bux. Sweet.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 4, 2019

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There never really seems to be like that one definitive unsold one in every store, just a selection of random older amiibo as well as the latest releases.

Waluigi

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I will say that the Metroid 2 amiibo are dope, and I wish we got some for Metroid Prime 4.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Mercury Crusader posted:

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1179788202262970369

There are three games in Sega's "Puzzle & Action" arcade series (and I guess four if you count Bonanza Bros. since that was kind of the spiritual predecessor). Tant-R (the first game) was a 1993 Japan-only game translated in English and released in the west as part of the PS2 Sega Classics Collection, which itself was a compilation of some of the Sega Ages 2500 series released in Japan. Sand-R (the third game) was a 1995 game that strangely got an arcade release in North America in 1997 as "Puzzle & Action: Treasure Hunt" but the Saturn port didn't get released outside of Japan. Ichidant-R (the second game) was released in 1994 and this will be the first time it has gotten an official English translation release in the west. I've heard them compared to WarioWare but less frantic, however they're more comparable to Namco's light gun game series "Point Blank" in which you are given a series of mini-games to complete. The game is also more of a two-player affair.

As for Columns II, this will be the first time it gets a release outside of Japan. It was originally released in arcades and then later got a Saturn port as part of the Saturn's Sega Ages lineup. It is including the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of the original Columns as a bonus game.

Have they announced a Gunstar Heroes AGES version yet? It and Streets of Rage 2 are the last ones I want

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
animal crossing amiibo probably would have sold better if they released around the time of the release of an actual animal crossing game

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Bleck posted:

animal crossing amiibo probably would have sold better if they released around the time of the release of an actual animal crossing game

Seconded. I don't know really anyone who was interested in the knockoffs or the app for more than a couple days

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Have they announced a Gunstar Heroes AGES version yet? It and Streets of Rage 2 are the last ones I want

I hope they move on to Saturn and Dreamcast games next. Sega Ages Phantasy Star Online would own so much.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Unf AEW hinting at aKI game again

https://youtu.be/ZBxP_-3wQYc

Starts at 11:45

It's happening

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've heard people speculate that the whole line is on its way out, with the Link's Awakening and Smash as the last figures. Fire Emblem didn't get any. You'd think Nintendo would announce one for Luigi's Mansion.

Christ I hope so. I'm an idiot who is trying to get the entire smash line, which at the time didnt seem loving crazy but now is definitely crazy, and a smattering of others. Free me from this Amiibo curse Nintendo!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

hatty posted:

Not yet, I believe.

The next few Sega Ages games I'm aware of as being announced are:

- Thunder Force AC (System C-2, might also include the Gen/MD version as a bonus, or comedy option the SNES Thunder Spirits)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
- Puyo Puyo 2 (System C-2, might also include the Gen/MD version as a bonus)
- Shinobi (System 16)
- G-LOC Air Battle (Y-Board, I think this is the first time the arcade version will be released on home platforms)
- Fantasy Zone (System 16A, excited for this one personally)
- Herzog Zwei (Genesis, first time this gets a digital re-release of any sort I believe)

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope they move on to Saturn and Dreamcast games next. Sega Ages Phantasy Star Online would own so much.

I'm surprised they did Virtua Racing, so I'm hoping this means at least more 3D arcade titles, which will probably be the closest thing to a proper Sega Saturn game release. But if they can get actual Saturn games on there like Panzer Dragoon that'll be nice. I feel like Sega always says they'll do Saturn and Dreamcast releases in the future of their compilation stuff (they did this with their Sega Forever mobile line) but then it turned out the only Dreamcast release they had was Crazy Taxi, and for that they just made their existing mobile port of Crazy Taxi part of the lineup (granted, it's a surprisingly good version for a mobile port, even has the proper music).

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 4, 2019

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I'm honestly surprised Game Freak never did Pokemon amiibo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Virtua racing is a part of the arcade initiative, and they've already said it was just the first since they cracked the engine. They also hinted at Dreamcast being possible as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Funkos are usually cheaper depending on what they are.

For most properties the aesthetic is just terrible but I have a good Scrooge McDuck one that was $7

The rathalos one is adorable and if he had real eyes instead of soulless voids he would be super cute instead of just adorable

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

put Phantasy Star Portable on Switch, Sega gdi

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

bushisms.txt posted:

Unf AEW hinting at aKI game again

https://youtu.be/ZBxP_-3wQYc

Starts at 11:45

It's happening

Seconding this as shame on all of you who didn't jump up and scream def Jan vendetta!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I'd love a KK Slider Amiibo but I settled for Mr. Resetti.

I only have six others and they are all Link variants and Solaire. Having a whole LoZ would be excellent but I'm not going to pay a premium for them.

Edit: Oh, the Slider/Llama 3 pack is only 10 bux. Sweet.

I need to remember to see if I can't pick up a Link from Link's Awakening. It'll be my only amiibo, but I think that'll do.