Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I mean, it says "We are not [yet] calling on creators to cancel projects" which is pretty meaningfully different from the "we are calling on creators NOT to cancel projects [yet]" that some people seem to be reading it as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey here's something else that happened. Lone Wolf Development, the company that appears to make Hero Lab and Army Builder, just had a round of layoffs. That in and of itself would be industry-worthy news except they also managed to screw some folks over who'd taken offered jobs with Lone Wolf and relocated as shortly as three months ago.

https://twitter.com/Owen_Stephens/status/1178107459220754433

I don't know this guy or his work really, but apparently he left a position at Paizo to take on a position there along with his wife and they've both been laid off, no severance, nothing. You can read Lone Wolf's statement in the link in the twitter but it sounds, at a casual glance, like they should already have known that layoffs and project cancellations/reassignments were happening but went ahead and hired more people anyway only to then turn around and lay them off because ??????????????????????????????

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Realm Works has been sunk cost fallacy territory for literally years. I'm not surprised they're shutting it down.

The three months thing is pure rear end in a top hat move, though. Somebody would have to really gently caress up the budget for that to even be vaguely necessary.

Edit: Reading between the lines, "leveraging investment financing" that somehow ran out immediately after hiring people sounds an awful lot like somebody taking big loans they shouldn't have and assuming Hero Lab Online revenue would magically jump by enough to cover the payments.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know this guy or his work really
He has like a bajillion writers credits on Paizo stuff and was either 'a' or 'the' lead designer on Starfinder, so presumably he was doing all right there.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 30, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Reading the Lone Wolf post, their big announcements are support for the rapidly sinking Shadowrun 6e ship and a local competitor for virtual tabletop marketshare... that appears to lack the biggest features that make virtual tabletops desirable.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Reading the Lone Wolf post, their big announcements are support for the rapidly sinking Shadowrun 6e ship and a local competitor for virtual tabletop marketshare... that appears to lack the biggest features that make virtual tabletops desirable.

The "Campaign Theater" thing goes past what all VTT stuff I know of does by allowing for calculation of buffs, polymorph effects, etc, since it's the character engine hooked together with live updates across accounts. Of course, that still has the fundamental problems of it requiring an account for each user, the HL fanatic audience being long since trained to expect being able to use a single book license purchase for a whole group, and them still not having any bulk purchases for a whole gaming group at once.

The promised integration with VTTs would fix the "entire group must have it" problem by allowing individual players or GMs to plug in their character sheets to VTT stat displays, but it took them literally years just to get the Content Market stuff working in Realm Works, so I find myself skeptical it will show up anytime soon. What they should have done was had some kind of basic, per-user integration in that regard as a high priority from the start of the service, so they could have come out the gate with an obvious upside for the always-online stuff, instead of it being treated as a side subject to the entirely-within-HLO group stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Roll20 scripting can do a lot of that now, and what it can't do paper never stopped working for.

Theres nothing in the described feature set that is a selling point over free products, at least to me.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I find it amusing that when you go to Catalyst's front page you get a big Shadowrun 6E advert with the tagline "Risk It All". You sure did, Catalyst, you sure did.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Warthur posted:

I find it amusing that when you go to Catalyst's front page you get a big Shadowrun 6E advert with the tagline "Risk It All". You sure did, Catalyst, you sure did.

If you click around shadowruntabletop.com is shows SR20A as the current version. Has for over a decade.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

If you click around shadowruntabletop.com is shows SR20A as the current version. Has for over a decade.

where is the lie

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/30/games-workshop-and-marvel-comics-team-upgw-homepage-post-1/

Current GW continuing to make old GW look really stupid.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Games Workshop is getting comics published through a Disney subsidiary? That's going to make -gaters lose their minds

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Everything makes those dipshits lose their minds. They threatened to kill the children of the guy who wrote the childrens books.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Finally the Buzz Lightyear: Space Marine crossover will be canon

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Slaanesh is one step closer to being a Disney Princess.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Warthur posted:

Slaanesh is one step closer to being a Disney Princess.

Disney is already the manifestation of Slaanesh in our timeline.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Can't wait for the MCU crossover where Tony's alcoholism makes him fall to Slaanesh and the Hulk is mistaken for an Ork.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Hulk would make a pretty good warboss...

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

and then he turns into the biggest grot you've ever seeen

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Communism posted:

The Hulk would make a pretty good warboss...
I remember fondly in the Avengers movie thread when someone asked, "OK so what's the Hulk's power, exactly? Is there some limit on how mad he can get?" And the answer was 1. The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets; 2. No

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Last I read it the current Hulk comic is leaning hard into Hulk Body Horror, Also Cthulkhu Exists

I think Hulk may be a lot more Necron is what I'm saying, complete with over-reliance on crazy green energy effects

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Darwinism posted:

Last I read it the current Hulk comic is leaning hard into Hulk Body Horror, Also Cthulkhu Exists

I think Hulk may be a lot more Necron is what I'm saying, complete with over-reliance on crazy green energy effects

In the Absolute Carnage series Bruce is now infected by the Carnage symbiote so yeah... Carhulkage is a thing too.

Would be a fun Chaos demon model.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GuardiansDnD/status/1179930423788331008
https://twitter.com/GuardiansDnD/status/1179930427097665537
https://twitter.com/GuardiansDnD/status/1179930430067240960
https://twitter.com/GuardiansDnD/status/1179930432961335297
https://twitter.com/GuardiansDnD/status/1179930435888930816
https://twitter.com/GuardiansDnD/status/1179930438975938560
https://twitter.com/GuardiansDnD/status/1179930441865822208

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's about right.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have no idea who that person is but it seems to wrap everything up in one thread.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

quote:

Discovering that #CriticalRole, a beacon of love and equality, had entered into a sponsorship with this slimy corporation to help push their ludicrous advertising campaign, absolutely horrified me.
Where the gently caress was this sentiment when they were cozied up to Mearls' own 5e?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1179878646082785281?s=19

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

moths posted:

Where the gently caress was this sentiment when they were cozied up to Mearls' own 5e?

I mean, no ethical consumption, etc. Mearls is bad and I wouldn’t blame anyone for cutting ties with 5e, but I also don’t think these are identically poor stances. “Wendy’s is worse than Mearls” doesn’t seem like a ludicrous position to me.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Critical Role has built up more than enough goodwill with me that I'm not going to cancel them for one advertising campaign for a lovely company, but I'm certainly disappointed and if they make a habit of it, I'll reassess.

That assumes I ever catch up, though, I'm months behind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean, I've only ever known Critical Role as the advertising arm of 5E. v:shobon:v

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ultiville posted:

I mean, no ethical consumption, etc. Mearls is bad and I wouldn’t blame anyone for cutting ties with 5e, but I also don’t think these are identically poor stances. “Wendy’s is worse than Mearls” doesn’t seem like a ludicrous position to me.

Agreed, but calling Critical Role a beacon of love and equality as they're pocketing 5e money to promote 5e comes across as ill-informed at best.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The only people calling Critical Role a beacon of love and equality are those who are ignorant of or willfully ignoring the criticism and harm they've done to the industry.

I mean, just Matt Mercer alone. Oof.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I don't know, it seems like Critical Roll is one of the best things that has every happened to the industry. Roleplaying seems way more mainstream than ever, and they are apparently one of the big things that made it happen.

It might be pushing d&d, but at least it gets people in the hobby.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

moths posted:

Deflected largely by decrying what was perceived as bullying by fans. A lot of Satine Phoenix in there. A lot of "Ugh, just because we make a product you consume doesn't mean you get to tell us who we should and shouldn't be doing business with." And of course, they are big enough to have a stan army, so.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zurui posted:

The only people calling Critical Role a beacon of love and equality are those who are ignorant of or willfully ignoring the criticism and harm they've done to the industry.

I mean, just Matt Mercer alone. Oof.

What did Matt Mercer do?

(Honest question ; I don't know him from Adam.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Huh, I didn't know about how terrible Wendy's was as a company.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I don't know, it seems like Critical Roll is one of the best things that has every happened to the industry. Roleplaying seems way more mainstream than ever, and they are apparently one of the big things that made it happen.

It might be pushing d&d, but at least it gets people in the hobby.

It gets some people into the hobby of 5th Edition DnD specifically. It's another Brand that people can rally behind and shutdown discussion of the bad parts because they like it.

It's absolutely 100% a positive for 5e. I'm not convinced it's a positive for the industry.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It gets some people into the hobby of 5th Edition DnD specifically. It's another Brand that people can rally behind and shutdown discussion of the bad parts because they like it.

It's absolutely 100% a positive for 5e. I'm not convinced it's a positive for the industry.

By contrast, The Adventure Zone actually is good for the industry. It started with the popular game, realized it wasn't working for them then moved onto something else that worked much better

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Exactly this. They do nothing to bring people into the larger world of tabletop gaming and the "community" is roughly as toxic and obnoxious as Rick & Morty's. The fans are absolutely rabid and will show up in droves to attack anyone who says anything even mildly unflattering about the show or D&D. Plus, Matt Mercer is every smarmy, smug, overbearing DM you've ever had rolled into one with the added bonus of being a minor celebrity so his ego is disastrously inflated.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Zurui posted:

Exactly this. They do nothing to bring people into the larger world of tabletop gaming

Apart from the times they run non-D&D games, and promote other companies and products on their social media accounts. Could they do more, yes, should they do more, yes, but they still get a huge amount of people into gaming. That their first route is into D&D is because of D&D being the largest part of the hobby, and the game they play. My local store has absolutely seen more people in because of critical role, who start out with adventurer's league and many of which have gone on to other games. I do hope they start more non-D&D streams/games even as short-term things, their cthulhu one-shot broke Chaosium's website and led to them struggling to keep up with the demand.

But it's not that they do nothing.

PST fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Didn't their recent Call of Cthulhu stream cause the company to co completely sell out of the book?

And everything I've seen of Matt Mercer tells me that he's as far away from having an overinflated ego as you can get.