Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah, have some class, come on guys.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Made some orange pork tonight, mostly just winged it and it turned out really good! Orange glaze just oj and brown sugar reduced and thickened with a little cornstarch

Onions in

Rest of the veg in, little bit of water and cover

Add the pork back in and served over Jasmine rice with more glaze

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Iajwife is away so I'm pretending to be classy n poo poo with my steak and risoni salad

iajanus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 1, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lunch at our work cafeteria today.

I'm pretty loving happy with this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
drat...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

toplitzin posted:

Lunch at our work cafeteria today.

I'm pretty loving happy with this.

Hell yeah

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Just got back from a trip to the UK where I was able to indulge in cooking stuff I miss.

Barnsley Chop, Apple, Chilli, Broccoli Rabe and Mange Tout

Haddock, Bean Ragout, Pea Pods, Shrimps

Mac & Cheese with Foraged Mushrooms and Chilli Jam.

Partridge with a Rosemary Spike up the Butt, Bacon, Celeriac, Red Currants, Maple Glazed Chantenay Carrots, Broad Beans

Pork Belly, Corriander Seed, Beetroot, Baby Leeks

Sea Bass, Yellow Courgette Ribbons, Tomato, Corriander Leaf Vinaigrette

Bacon Wrapped Haunch of Venison cooked in a pokey room with two induction burners and a little convection oven.

Served with Bubble and Squeak, Mange Toute and a Cider Sauce

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Roast carrots with harrissa

This was a while back but, recipe?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Drink and Fight posted:

This was a while back but, recipe?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/roasted-carrots-harissa-creme-fraiche-food-lab-recipe.html

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cavenagh posted:

Just got back from a trip to the UK where I was able to indulge in cooking stuff I miss.

Barnsley Chop, Apple, Chilli, Broccoli Rabe and Mange Tout

Haddock, Bean Ragout, Pea Pods, Shrimps

Mac & Cheese with Foraged Mushrooms and Chilli Jam.

Partridge with a Rosemary Spike up the Butt, Bacon, Celeriac, Red Currants, Maple Glazed Chantenay Carrots, Broad Beans

Pork Belly, Corriander Seed, Beetroot, Baby Leeks

Sea Bass, Yellow Courgette Ribbons, Tomato, Corriander Leaf Vinaigrette

Bacon Wrapped Haunch of Venison cooked in a pokey room with two induction burners and a little convection oven.

Served with Bubble and Squeak, Mange Toute and a Cider Sauce

And who says British food is awful? I think I've seen the Two Fat Ladies do something very similar to a bacon wrapped haunch of venison (or maybe it was a bacon wrapped partridge? they do alot of 'bacon wrapped')

What is a barnsley chop? It looks delicious.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Made a pizza with leftover shakshuka, nduja, feta, olives.

Also, thanks.

Drink and Fight fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 4, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

And who says British food is awful? I think I've seen the Two Fat Ladies do something very similar to a bacon wrapped haunch of venison (or maybe it was a bacon wrapped partridge? they do alot of 'bacon wrapped')

It’s a lamb chop, cut across the whole animal: so basically a double lamb chop.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's exactly what Torquemada says it is, a double cut across the saddle of the beast.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Kippers for breakfast aunt helga

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Been a bit of a long time, so figured it was family lasagne time

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hello yes can I be family?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Hello yes can I be family?

Sure, have a plate

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It'd be kind of neat to have a goon potluck meetup or something.

But I'd also be super self conscious because some of y'all's cooking skills are astonishing, haha.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Lamb shank korma from 50 Great Curries of India, which I've been meaning to try and figured the founding of a new Indian megathread was a good enough occasion. I think next time I'll try the alternate version where you debone the shanks and make a separate stock for the gravy, as this was kind of annoying both to cook and eat.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Another great night for a quick Pad Thai!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

drat this looks great

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My jiao ma ji looms threateningly like an approaching Darius boss

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

This looks too good to have been quick. Make it look worse.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

This looks too good to have been quick. Make it look worse.

To be fair, I make Pad Thai probably once or twice a month so the whole thing is pretty much muscle memory at this point.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Drink and Fight posted:

Made a pizza with leftover shakshuka, nduja, feta, olives.

Ahhh shakshuka,the gateway cuisine to loving mediterranean and or middle eastern food, that is such a wonderful idea, what kind of dough did you use for the underpinnings?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Dinner was Jacques pepin potato lee soup, added some carrot. Side of bread with parmesan. Also there is some in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Twice cooked pork here.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

vuk83 posted:

Dinner was Jacques pepin potato lee soup, added some carrot. Side of bread with parmesan. Also there is some in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

That’s a killer potato leek soup recipe he does.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Nhilist posted:

Ahhh shakshuka,the gateway cuisine to loving mediterranean and or middle eastern food, that is such a wonderful idea, what kind of dough did you use for the underpinnings?

Kenji's pan pizza dough recipe.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

vuk83 posted:

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

That’s a killer potato leek soup recipe he does.
I use the one from Julia and Jacques and it’s one of my favorite recipes. I almost always have it in the freezer. To add some meat/protein I poach bratwurst in it when I add the potatoes and then slice them up and put them and it goes perfectly. Also very good with watercress added at the end but the watercress seems to go funny in the freezer.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Twice cooked pork here.

Jesus that looks delicious.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

toplitzin posted:

Twice cooked pork here.

Recipe? This is probably one of my favorite foods in the world and I've never considered just making it......

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GenericGirlName posted:

Recipe? This is probably one of my favorite foods in the world and I've never considered just making it......

I vouch for this as very typical of your generic Chengdu twice cooked pork: https://blog.themalamarket.com/chengdu-challenge-8-twice-cooked-pork-hui-guo-rou/

I like to add some black peppercorns, star anise, and a stick of cassia to the simmering water. DO NOT add salt or soy sauce though or you will regret it, the final product is plenty salty. Use plenty of oil, it just won't taste right if you try to cut back on the oil.

Some green chili peppers (not super hot) blistered in a nice hot pan then cut into halves are an excellent and common vegetable addition.

Also you can simmer a nice big hunk of belly and freeze single portion slices just fine. That means you're never more than like 20 minutes away from some fresh hui guo rou in your mouth.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Grand Fromage posted:

I vouch for this as very typical of your generic Chengdu twice cooked pork: https://blog.themalamarket.com/chengdu-challenge-8-twice-cooked-pork-hui-guo-rou/

I like to add some black peppercorns, star anise, and a stick of cassia to the simmering water. DO NOT add salt or soy sauce though or you will regret it, the final product is plenty salty. Use plenty of oil, it just won't taste right if you try to cut back on the oil.

Some green chili peppers (not super hot) blistered in a nice hot pan then cut into halves are an excellent and common vegetable addition.

Also you can simmer a nice big hunk of belly and freeze single portion slices just fine. That means you're never more than like 20 minutes away from some fresh hui guo rou in your mouth.

Oh this is just... I'm mad I am going to have people over soon who cant do spicy bc I'm loving ready for this(and often ask for it extra spicy and if it turns out too spicy I just... Eat it with a glass of milk lol oh well). I might have to go to the Asian market today (Wednesday) and do it immediately. This is well within my cooking skill. gently caress. gently caress!!! I love this dish!!

I will listen to your advice on the additional salt. I probably would have done that so the heads up is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you don't add chili peppers a legit twice cooked pork isn't a spicy dish. I guess people who literally cannot be in the same room as a pepper might still freak out, but doubanjiang is the only thing in it that has any chili and it's way more like miso than it is like a hot sauce or something.

Most Sichuanese food shouldn't actually be that hot. Straight up lighting your rear end on fire food is more a Hunan or Guizhou thing. Sichuan uses chilies but not particularly hot ones, and not in great numbers (with a few exceptions like laziji).

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Hi goons, I'm new to the thread. Please be gentle.

I picked up a simple charcoal grill last weekend. Made kabobs on it first, and today did tacos. Grilled some chicken breasts and pineapples (was a friend's birthday and he likes pineapple so we figured why not), shredded the chicken, seasoned half with taco seasoning and the other half got teriyaki sauce. Had a side of fajita vegetables, cheese, the aforementioned grilled pineapple, lime wedges, pico, and guac (the latter were store-bought because it's a weeknight and we were lazy).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Chunderstorm posted:

Hi goons, I'm new to the thread. Please be gentle.

I picked up a simple charcoal grill last weekend. Made kabobs on it first, and today did tacos. Grilled some chicken breasts and pineapples (was a friend's birthday and he likes pineapple so we figured why not), shredded the chicken, seasoned half with taco seasoning and the other half got teriyaki sauce. Had a side of fajita vegetables, cheese, the aforementioned grilled pineapple, lime wedges, pico, and guac (the latter were store-bought because it's a weeknight and we were lazy).

That looks really good, well done! I love the seasoning combination.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Mexican chorizo, white rice, red beans, salsa verde.

First time cooking dry beans! Simmered them with the white parts of the scallions, half an onion, a quartered carrot, and a bunch of thyme and oregano. Came out hella flavorful.

For the salsa I charred six tomatillos, half an onion, a serrano pepper and six cloves of garlic, then threw it all in the blender with salt, a little oil and the juice of half a lime. Perfect the first time, which honestly shocked me. Didn’t even need a pinch of salt. I feel like I’m getting better at this.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I made salsa verde* for the first time!

The asterisk is because I used used green tomatoes instead of tomatillos. We still have a ton of the drat things left and I've already made a ton of pasta sauce and theres still leftover green tomatoes in the fridge. Also included jalapenos and oregano from our garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah. We do that substitution all the time!

Looks good. What'd you eat it on?