Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Monaghan posted:

I cannot wait to see what possible grounds he thinks he can win on appeal.

"The judge said we hosed up our case! But as we can prima facie rationally infer: Nuh-uhhhhh!"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mediation lasted 8-10 hours, i wouldn't be surprised at more details appearing tonight it's a rational inference

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They actually can't appeal since the charges were dismissed with prejudice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

Seconding this (because I only saw this post after I started a reply asking the same thing).

"Vic Mignogna is legally a piece of poo poo" thread.

Fangz posted:

Can we change the thread title to "is a piece of a poo poo" as the law requires, thanks
Done. Also please don't report posts for requests. I do read my PM's, y'know.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
"We're not owned! We're not owned!" says thoroughly owned person.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"The dumbest law firm in Texas could win."

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

You can appeal a case dismissed with prejudice.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Piell posted:

Man Vicstans are embarrassing

https://twitter.com/JoshuaZWalters/status/1180183534457249792?s=20

"Actually, the entire case being dismissed is good for Vic and shows the judge is on his side!"
SA, as the primordial ooze from which Slenderman crawled, bears some degree of responsibility for that dumb tweet.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe Nick and Percy should have directed Vic towards that firm instead

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

no they can appeal this:
https://twitter.com/amai_zo/status/1180173529335119873

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1180178990977429510

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Edit: Beaten twice!

Waffleman_ posted:

That just means they cannot re-file the case or be re-tried in the same court. They can still appeal, although that is an uphill battle by itself!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

That's not that they can't appeal the case, it's that if it stands afterwards, Vic can't ever sue the defendants again on the same grounds. If it'd been without prejudice, he could try and fix up whatever holes he had in form and resubmit at a later date based on these claims.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Done. Also please don't report posts for requests. I do read my PM's, y'know.

Unless I miss clicked somehow, I didn't do it as a report. Just this post asking.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Hogama posted:

That's not that they can't appeal the case, it's that if it stands afterwards, Vic can't ever sue the defendants again on the same grounds. If it'd been without prejudice, he could try and fix up whatever holes he had in form and resubmit at a later date based on these claims.
it's worth noting that from what i've heard tcpa dismissals are always with prejudice (since its anti-slapp), so nothing to read into there

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I scrolled through and, especially as I got lower, the number of replies calling him stupid seemed a lot higher than those showing genuine support.

I’m not sure if that really means anything but it’s something.

Edit: I was responding to a post from last page, this thread is moving too quickly

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

Unless I miss clicked somehow, I didn't do it as a report. Just this post asking.
Eh. It's fine (and no, it wasn't you). It's just slightly more labor-intensive.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions on the thread title (and changing it). I look forward to the continued delusions.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Oh man. Those replies. Half are saying they should give up and the other half are voicing continued support and lambasting those who dare stop being true believers.

Also I'm not good at football. How many half-times per game?:thunk:

Tbf so is ty

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

AnoHito posted:

Halftime, only you're down 56-3 and the crowd's all leaving and your star QB's been thrown out of the game for dropkicking a cheerleader.

so, super bowl 51

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The chuds are very not mad at all

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"I'm not mad at anyone, honest."

:thunk:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Ty's going to come on Nick's show tonight (this is Nick's alt account where he pretends to "Nick's intern", since his main twitter account is suspended).
https://twitter.com/LawArchive/status/1180221546553585664

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Piell posted:

Ty's going to come on Nick's show tonight (this is Nick's alt account where he pretends to "Nick's intern", since his main twitter account is suspended).

The Judge has played into our hands

Losing at this stage is good for us

Please give more money

When I said the worst lawyers in Texas could win this case I meant on appeal, obviously

Please give more money

I'm the greatest lawyer ever, you need to give me more money

--

I think that's going to roughly summarise the talking points.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PST posted:

This guy doesn't know how appeals work. Yes, the standard of review is de novo, but the appellate court cannot hear anything that wasn't presented to the lower court. There is no evidence preserved because Ty did not present any evidence.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's okay they will make rational inferences

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mr. Nice! posted:

This guy doesn't know how appeals work. Yes, the standard of review is de novo, but the appellate court cannot hear anything that wasn't presented to the lower court. There is no evidence preserved because Ty did not present any evidence.

This is the thing that a lot of the Vic defenders don't get- Ty was supposed to present evidence at the hearing for the case brought forth to have merit-he couldn't provide any evidence to the judge, so he struck down the claims. Them going "well no, the judge didn't do his job" is peak :ironicat: because they assume the judge should have to dig through everything and do the research himself instead of the lawyers-it's peak self entitlement and deflection from their own side's laziness and ineptitude.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I just hope that Ty gets some sanctions personally. Even if it's just that the judge orders him to do 50 hours of CLE on defamation/TCPA.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I hope Vic just keeps trying to go after people and give them money he gets from suckers fans at this point

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
What did they say in the past if this happened...

https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1180177465391669249

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PST posted:

I always thought kiwi farms liked to pretend it was smarter than 4chan

it's 4chan

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

They'll just exclaim "prima facie!" They don't know how to use it or what it even means, but they'll exclaim it.

It's the new 'tortious interference' that got bandied about last time Rekieta stuck his beak in a nerd genre (being ComicsGate's Dickie Meyers versus Mark Waid*). They would shriek 'BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TORTOISE INFLUENZA' as if it was some magical wand and now they have a whole new term.

*That's also not going well for the chud side.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I always thought kiwi farms liked to pretend it was smarter than 4chan

it's 4chan

Isn't Kiwi Farms just the script kiddie douchebags that didn't meet that standards of quality for posting on 4Chan?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

PST posted:

Should read the kotakuinaction thread if any of you can stomach it. The amount of mental backflips being displayed is awe inspiring

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Flytrap posted:

Isn't Kiwi Farms just the script kiddie douchebags that didn't meet that standards of quality for posting on 4Chan?

That, and those who would not stop stalking/prodding/obsessing over Chris-chan/CWC after forums like ours banned that poo poo for obvious reasons. (That's where the name "Kiwi Farms" comes from, his mispronunciation of the (original) primary stalking site.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So that took a turn.

https://twitter.com/AsherLangton/status/1180207095880323073?s=19

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

https://twitter.com/sgtdrill/status/1180215176106315777?s=21

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I was just going to post that. Good lord.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh and a bunch of anime dorks think "dismissed with prejudice" means the judge is admitting he's biased against Vic.

https://twitter.com/E_Gruberman/status/1180225071740280834?s=19

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like my legalese is weak as hell, but doesn't dismissed with prejudice basically means "You're done with this specific type of poo poo" so that means Mignogna and his team can't do the same poo poo anymore or else they face hefty fines down the road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Like my legalese is weak as hell, but doesn't dismissed with prejudice basically means "You're done with this specific type of poo poo" so that means Mignogna and his team can't do the same poo poo anymore or else they face hefty fines down the road?

It basically means "You aren't allowed to bring this tort back for these actions again."

Basically compare too: "You need to file somewhere else but I am not judging this on the merits of the case"