Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Published Aug 19, 2014. That's quite the pull...

The article is poo poo though, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

skylined! posted:

Trump keeping his options for non extradition countries open I guess.

https://twitter.com/time/status/1180199624566562816?s=21

trump legit thinks kim is his friend/son/someone he cares more about than Junior. kim can throw water in trumps face all day and trump will just vacantly smile. also you know he loving asked kim to look into biden.

good but interesting. pence will NEVER be removed, so maybe deals will be made behind the scenes. who knows.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1180183016385241088?s=20
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1180190904642134018?s=20
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1180187902829121536?s=20

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

good but interesting. pence will NEVER be removed, so maybe deals will be made behind the scenes. who knows.

Pence is neck deep in this, and has hopes for a post-trump political career, so upping the pressure on him is a good idea. Neither Pence nor Trump is going anywhere, realistically speaking.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wasn’t going on Trump’s ticket a hail mary to revive Pence’s career?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol the washington post confirms that Johnson absolutely thought his long incriminating monologue was helpful for trump

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1180206169731866625

quote:

Senate Homeland Security Committee Chairman Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) stepped forward with a disclosure Friday that he apparently thought might help President Trump as he weathers his building Ukraine problems.

But what he said was decidedly unhelpful for Trump.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Johnson disclosed that Trump assured him on Aug. 31 that there was no quid pro quo between him and Ukraine. “He said — expletive deleted — No way. I would never do that. Who told you that?” Johnson said.

The more significant part of the conversation, though, is why Johnson even asked Trump in the first place:

Mr. Johnson said he learned of the potential arrangement involving military aid through a phone call with Mr. [Gordon] Sondland that occurred the day before Mr. Johnson spoke to Mr. Trump. Under the arrangement, Mr. Johnson said Mr. Sondland told him, Ukraine would appoint a strong prosecutor general and move to “get to the bottom of what happened in 2016 — if President Trump has that confidence, then he’ll release the military spending,” recounted Mr. Johnson.
“At that suggestion, I winced,” Mr. Johnson said. “My reaction was: Oh, God. I don’t want to see those two things combined.”

Sondland, you might recall, was one of three top U.S. diplomats whose text messages former Ukraine envoy Kurt Volker disclosed to Congress on Thursday. In those texts, Sondland twice responds to suggestions of a military aid quid pro quo by suggesting they talk about such things on the phone rather than via text. In the second case, he also rather curiously issues an extensive and carefully worded denial of the quid pro quo that almost seems intended for a situation in which the texts eventually became public.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

evilweasel posted:

Pence is neck deep in this, and has hopes for a post-trump political career, so upping the pressure on him is a good idea. Neither Pence nor Trump is going anywhere, realistically speaking.

Considering he only became trumps VP after "a lot of praying" I can only conclude that God must have it out for Pence big time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Somebody please indict this goddamn toad

Pants Donkey posted:

Basically yes

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In House of Cards, didn't the Speaker of the House become President?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

evilweasel posted:

What would Pence do politically? Cabinet post? He's super unpopular in his home state and I don't see how he appeals to Trump's base. He's a boring bathroom warrior, not a loud rich rear end in a top hat.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

How so? All of those look pretty narrowly tailored to the subject of the Ukraine inquiry.

Thorough is a better word. Demanding communications with the office of legal council and between the VP and Pres seems like the sort of thing that is going to be fought tooth and nail.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

sorta: indiana pushed him hard to promote him out of the governor's office because he was gonna lose re-election. but pence took the job because VP is a step up from governor even if you're not an utter failure

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

What would Pence do politically? Cabinet post? He's super unpopular in his home state and I don't see how he appeals to Trump's base. He's a boring bathroom warrior, not a loud rich rear end in a top hat.

pence wants to be president and thinks being trump's loyal lickspittle, but avoiding tying himself too much to trump's crimes, is the way to do it

remember that mike pence is not a smart man

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
This thread talks a lot about how there's a hard core Trump base that will never vote against Trump, even if he shot someone. What I was thinking about is, isn't there a similarly anti-Trump group that will never trust him? And I feel like the second group is the only one gaining members now. The polls show A LOT of people hate Trump, and I don't think they're going to switch back at this point. The only people he's normalizing behavior for is the people who already were for him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This thread talks a lot about how there's a hard core Trump base that will never vote against Trump, even if he shot someone. What I was thinking about is, isn't there a similarly anti-Trump group that will never trust him? And I feel like the second group is the only one gaining members now. The polls show A LOT of people hate Trump, and I don't think they're going to switch back at this point. The only people he's normalizing behavior for is the people who already were for him.

absolutely. trump has no hope of winning the popular vote. trouble is that trump's base is more favorably dispersed than the sane majority under our political system.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1180163345523122176

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1179924597472411648

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

evilweasel posted:

remember that mike pence is not a smart man

yup, in Indiana he was known as "Mike Dense"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Chris Hayes with a rather good question:
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1180195558255923201

I mean, aside from the fact that DoS is a loving ghost town compared to what it should be staff-wise, anyway

I expect part of the reason why is because Ukrainian domestic pressure to join the EU (via the Euromaidan protests) was one of the inciting incidents behind the Russian invasion and annexation of Crimea in 2014. A lot of Ukrainians still want to join, and I’m sure a lot of neocons and neoliberals still want them to be part of the broader American/NATO empire.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

Somebody please indict this goddamn toad

I have some bad news

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

It cut both ways, but yeah. Christian right bona fides and a shut mouth in exchange for a spotlight-adjacent seat outside a place he wasn't particularly well-liked anyway.

Efb like twice, ugh

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

No, there are a lot of incredibly stupid people out there that barely pay attention that sway back and forth in the wind and while they might not like Trump personally 'hey he's good for the economy I guess.'

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A reveal that surprises absolutely no-one except for possibly Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman.

goethe.cx posted:

I have some bad news

I meant to say impeach, that's on me. Even so I'm just frustrated that this rear end in a top hat who covered up Iran-Contra is getting away with it again.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: doublepost

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pellisworth posted:

yup, in Indiana he was known as "Mike Dense"

Pence was selling red-as-gently caress Indiana exactly the hard-right garbage they wanted, and they STILL told him to go gently caress off forever because he was just that much of a dumb rear end in a top hat.

He's just less shouty than Trump, he's not actually competent or intelligent even compared to the average Republican politician from a red hellhole state.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm amazed that he was actually a Marine to be honest.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

quote:

It’s not the police, but the people they stop, who can prevent a detention from turning into a tragedy.

Love the admission that cops are incapable of not shooting people who disrespect them.

Here's the article if you'd like to read the whole thing

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why is Jacob Wohl not in prison yet?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry_Ed posted:

A reveal that surprises absolutely no-one except for possibly Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman.

I meant to say impeach, that's on me. Even so I'm just frustrated that this rear end in a top hat who covered up Iran-Contra is getting away with it again.

They probably made it up for him.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Pence was selling red-as-gently caress Indiana exactly the hard-right garbage they wanted, and they STILL told him to go gently caress off forever because he was just that much of a dumb rear end in a top hat.

He's just less shouty than Trump, he's not actually competent or intelligent even compared to the average Republican politician from a red hellhole state.

sadly we'll not live to have a First Mother

actually she could be titled Mother Superior and that would own

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

They probably made it up for him.

Possibly, we'll know once they try to pass off a forged DD-214 as legit :v:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

If he only served two years because of something other than a debilitating injury, he did something reeeealy stupid.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Oracle posted:

No, there are a lot of incredibly stupid people out there that barely pay attention that sway back and forth in the wind and while they might not like Trump personally 'hey he's good for the economy I guess.'

I'm not saying they don't exist either, I'm just saying one of those people just needs one event to shock them out, compared to the ones that stick with Trump needing to constantly pass by everything. A lot still manage, but I feel like once you start disliking Trump with even the slightest bit of thought and attention behind it, it's hard to get back into it's bubble. In other words, I don't think Trump is getting anymore hard core supporters as time goes on, just hemorrhaging the ones who accidentally make their way out. And there's no going back.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

pacerhimself posted:

In House of Cards, didn't the Speaker of the House become President?

No I think you're thinking of how during the 2016 election neither Frank Underwood nor the Republican challenger have enough electoral votes so it goes to the House for Presidency and Senate for the VP. Claire wins in the Senate and so is appointed VP, but Frank doesn't win the House. As a result, Frank has to hand the Presidency over to Claire for a bit until the House agrees to hold revotes in the two states that had canceled elections due to the phone terrorist threat Frank made up. By that point, Frank had gotten damaging material showing the Republican had mental health issues I think so he won the election and took the presidency back from Claire.

Yeah it was a stupid loving season. The first season of the show was great (Kevin Spacey being awful notwithstanding), but the rest was just so bad.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

WeaponX posted:

This is the bottom of the barrel right here.

People don’t like the comic because it’s written poorly and never really used appropriately. In fact if you ever are trying to end an argument by going after grammar or posting a loving webcomic you are like, incredibly lame.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like how you can tell the fake accuser is juicing because of how lovely his skin is.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

If he only served two years because of something other than a debilitating injury, he did something reeeealy stupid.
I used to work with a guy who got a "Too dumb for the Corps" discharge and he was one of the least useful humans I have ever met.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
is that a motherfucking triple x tattoo?

Obviously he sustained his injury as an XXXtreme BMXer turned spy

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

hidden_msg posted:

Considering he only became trumps VP after "a lot of praying" I can only conclude that God must have it out for Pence big time.

That's what happens when you pray to a horse god.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rosalind posted:

No I think you're thinking of how during the 2016 election neither Frank Underwood nor the Republican challenger have enough electoral votes so it goes to the House for Presidency and Senate for the VP. Claire wins in the Senate and so is appointed VP, but Frank doesn't win the House. As a result, Frank has to hand the Presidency over to Claire for a bit until the House agrees to hold revotes in the two states that had canceled elections due to the phone terrorist threat Frank made up. By that point, Frank had gotten damaging material showing the Republican had mental health issues I think so he won the election and took the presidency back from Claire.

Yeah it was a stupid loving season. The first season of the show was great (Kevin Spacey being awful notwithstanding), but the rest was just so bad.

the core of it is that in the british system there's an easy and well-travelled route from second-most-powerful person in government to most powerful person in government, whereas in the american system that's basically unheard of, so they had to do a LOT of finagling to make the original's plotline even sort of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm not saying they don't exist either, I'm just saying one of those people just needs one event to shock them out, compared to the ones that stick with Trump needing to constantly pass by everything. A lot still manage, but I feel like once you start disliking Trump with even the slightest bit of thought and attention behind it, it's hard to get back into it's bubble. In other words, I don't think Trump is getting anymore hard core supporters as time goes on, just hemorrhaging the ones who accidentally make their way out. And there's no going back.

I guess that's the one upside of all this, one of the very few. Once that spell is broken it does seem to stay broken. It's just the effort of getting folks there that's the bitch.