Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
While there's not a lot of exciting flavors in there, onions, carrots and beef all have good flavors. I'd also bet that the Scottish beef there is gonna be a lot more flavorful than the average US supermarket ground beef. It looks really dark red, so I'd imagine highlands grass-fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I think she used ground beef as a more refined version of a common stovies protein, corned beef (like, the processed canned stuff). I've also heard of folks using sausages (like coddle), and British-style bacon.

I think it keeps in the comfort food tradition of being bland, starchy, and filling. I read an article expressing the same idea about pierogi a month or so ago. It won't knock your socks off, but there's just no substitute. I think plenty of Americans probably feel the same way about creamed chipped beef, biscuits and gravy, clam chowder, etc.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

DasNeonLicht posted:

I think she used ground beef as a more refined version of a common stovies protein, corned beef (like, the processed canned stuff). I've also heard of folks using sausages (like coddle), and British-style bacon.

I think it keeps in the comfort food tradition of being bland, starchy, and filling. I read an article expressing the same idea about pierogi a month or so ago. It won't knock your socks off, but there's just no substitute. I think plenty of Americans probably feel the same way about creamed chipped beef, biscuits and gravy, clam chowder, etc.

I think which bland comfort food anyone is OK with is very personal.

The only time I'm really happy to have anything "bland" is a bowl of rice with a splash of soy sauce or topped with some crisped up fish skin leftover from a meal. As someone who is too lazy to work out enough to eat very many calories I just don't have room in my life for food that isn't exciting to me in at least some way.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Suggest for me some more good slop foods, things that are easy to batch cook and will freeze well in quart delitainers. So far I have:

Curries
Beef stew
Etouffee
Shakshuka

What else can I make

pulled pork/chicken
braised spare ribs
chole saag (or saag chole)
braised cabbage, apples, and pork

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The point I want to make here is that cheap comfort food doesn't have to be bland necessarily, and in fact I think it's kind of condescending toward disadvantaged people to insist so. Salt is extremely cheap. So is black pepper. Using those in that dish would make it orders of magnitude better, while costing only pennies more (or I guess pence, since we're in Scotland here). It is truly baffling that I'm getting blowback on the food subforum for saying that food can and should be seasoned.

If we're talking stuff that's cheap, keeps well, and has that homogenous "slop" quality, I really like this pork ragu. I make it with whatever size pork shoulder I find, often four-plus pounds in size. You can use dry herbs if that's all you have on hand. You can scale it up, you can dress it up, you can dress it down. Keeps really easily too. Just boil some pasta (fresh tagliatelle like the recipe insists is best of course, but dry fettucine is just as nice when on a budget) al dente, throw it in a pan with a scoop of the pork ragu, toss to combine. Hit it with parmesan if you have some, but it's not strictly necessary.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

prayer group posted:

The point I want to make here is that cheap comfort food doesn't have to be bland necessarily, and in fact I think it's kind of condescending toward disadvantaged people to insist so. Salt is extremely cheap. So is black pepper. Using those in that dish would make it orders of magnitude better, while costing only pennies more (or I guess pence, since we're in Scotland here). It is truly baffling that I'm getting blowback on the food subforum for saying that food can and should be seasoned.

If we're talking stuff that's cheap, keeps well, and has that homogenous "slop" quality, I really like this pork ragu. I make it with whatever size pork shoulder I find, often four-plus pounds in size. You can use dry herbs if that's all you have on hand. You can scale it up, you can dress it up, you can dress it down. Keeps really easily too. Just boil some pasta (fresh tagliatelle like the recipe insists is best of course, but dry fettucine is just as nice when on a budget) al dente, throw it in a pan with a scoop of the pork ragu, toss to combine. Hit it with parmesan if you have some, but it's not strictly necessary.

the british are very defensive about their bland

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

prayer group posted:

Not everyone is accustomed to (or desires) added salt in food, and if you don't habitually use it in everything, then the flavor of the other ingredients becomes more pronounced to you. I stopped salting stuff routinely years ago. True that a lot of people do add salt as a default, but if you don't habitually use it, then it can taste unpleasant when you do.

It might be worth thinking about why "bland" should have any negative connotation in the first place? I'd like to think there's room on the cuisine spectrum for mild things as well as highly seasoned things. Personally I like both, and I like to switch them up.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TofuDiva posted:

Not everyone is accustomed to (or desires) added salt in food, and if you don't habitually use it in everything, then the flavor of the other ingredients becomes more pronounced to you. I stopped salting stuff routinely years ago. True that a lot of people do add salt as a default, but if you don't habitually use it, then it can taste unpleasant when you do.

It might be worth thinking about why "bland" should have any negative connotation in the first place? I'd like to think there's room on the cuisine spectrum for mild things as well as highly seasoned things. Personally I like both, and I like to switch them up.

Flavor is good, actually

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

TofuDiva posted:

I half-agree with you.

I agree that there is room for us to consider and appreciate mild, unseasoned foods. But I think if you're going to go that route then it's even more important that you work with quality ingredients so that there's actual good flavor present, and treat them properly so that that flavor is enhanced and complemented, not destroyed.

So take the example at hand: those ingredients are probably pretty good, provided they came from local farms and not I dunno, Tesco or whatever grocery store they have there. But is boiling them for two hours the right thing to do with them? Absolutely not.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you are somehow in Hong Kong with too many meals to spare head to mosque street and see the blandest fish and chips shop exist next to good Indian and realize it's by design

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Weltlich posted:

chole saag (or saag chole)

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

prayer group posted:

I half-agree with you.

I agree that there is room for us to consider and appreciate mild, unseasoned foods. But I think if you're going to go that route then it's even more important that you work with quality ingredients so that there's actual good flavor present, and treat them properly so that that flavor is enhanced and complemented, not destroyed.

So take the example at hand: those ingredients are probably pretty good, provided they came from local farms and not I dunno, Tesco or whatever grocery store they have there. But is boiling them for two hours the right thing to do with them? Absolutely not.

yeah, I agree, it would be quicker and really very easy to use the same ingredients and make a really tasty dish. instead, it gets boiled into mush. if that's what you like, fine, but I'm gonna dunk on you about it

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

yeah, I agree, it would be quicker and really very easy to use the same ingredients and make a really tasty dish. instead, it gets boiled into mush. if that's what you like, fine, but I'm gonna dunk on you about it

Dunk away! I'll just be over here enjoying my mush.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the british are very defensive about their bland

Hotdish

Many cultures have a “bland” dish or two, I dare you to go to Scotland and eat haggis and tell the bekilted claymore-wielding lunatics surrounding you that their food is boring

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I got a lot of family in the middle of nowhere frozen rear end Scotland and they all cook stovies cause it's good. They also eat curry. Weird, I know, but people can like multiple things.

Also, the highland kedgeree game is on point

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Suggest for me some more good slop foods, things that are easy to batch cook and will freeze well in quart delitainers. So far I have:

Curries
Beef stew
Etouffee
Shakshuka

What else can I make

Saag
Red beans

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Scientastic posted:

Hotdish

Many cultures have a “bland” dish or two, I dare you to go to Scotland and eat haggis and tell the bekilted claymore-wielding lunatics surrounding you that their food is boring

You're right, many cultures have a bland dish or two. Scotland has a bland entire cuisine. They eat deep fried pizza! Come on, dude!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You will speak no ill about pizza supper.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Hotdish

What are they going to do, throw a telephone pole at me?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Hotdish

lol

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I like pongal, which is South Indian version of bland invalid people food. It's rice, lentils, cumin, asafoetida, salt, and whole black pepper. Not terribly exciting, but really comforting for some reason. Like, you can fancy it up by roasting the daal first, and then cooking the whole mess. And if I have curry leaves, they're going in. My mom likes hers with added turmeric and ginger. But the basic version is just those couple of ingredients, and it's a staple dish. In the North, they do puri with jeera aloo. It's fried flatbread (so it puffs up into fat little pillows), served with potatoes that are seasoned with cumin, dried red chilies (whole, so you can pick it out), turmeric, and curry leaves. It's basically carbs on carbs, and nobody cares because it's good.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Kind of a weird question but: I have this recipe for "Cajun" meatloaf I kind of like that I'm going to make. It calls for these spices/seasonings:

1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Could I just replace this with Tony Chachere's? (I bought this for another recipe and I'm trying to use it up) If so, how much do I use? It's going into a pound of ground beef with the usual stuff (onions, green peppers, etc)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The general suggestion is seasoning, microwaving a small piece to test it, and season further if needed.

I'm guessing that mix will be fine as a substitute. IIRC it's hella salty though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah I'd check label of the spice blend for salt content, figure out how much equals 1 tsp, then add your separate ground spices to taste. If you rely on it fully for seasoning you can over salt before you hit your flavor goal.

Seconding the taster sample. I usually skillet fry test for meatballs, burgers, falafel, etc.

Unrelated, anyone ever use one of these? I've done several recipes manually crimping with fingers or fork tines and maybe I could master it but it's keeping me from cooking them as often.

Paderno World Cuisine Set of Five Dumpling Molds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007T254Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9OpMDbGPQ1623

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My friend uses those for gyoza and they stay crimped about 70% of the time I'd say

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bought some raw milk in order to make mozzarella later. Am I going to kill myself? :ohdear:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AnonSpore posted:

My friend uses those for gyoza and they stay crimped about 70% of the time I'd say

Homemade wrappers or store-bought? My success rate is about 80% with homemade, 60% with store-bought. Success being no leakage, most failures are just small.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

Bought some raw milk in order to make mozzarella later. Am I going to kill myself? :ohdear:

So hopefully you know the farmer and have been to the farm to see how they actually milk the cows (or goats or whatever), and how they sanitize things. If not, hopefully you at least trust the farmer.

Otherwise, if it doesn't smell funny, and you're not a child, elderly, or sick, you should be fine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BrianBoitano posted:

Homemade wrappers or store-bought? My success rate is about 80% with homemade, 60% with store-bought. Success being no leakage, most failures are just small.

Storebought yeah

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bogart posted:

Do you live somewhere with regulated raw milk? Because that's a thing. If so you're probably alright.

If you're buying it from a "private club" or similar law skirting sorta thing you're not likely to get sick, but on the other hand you might get an antibiotic resistant strain of something spooky.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have two turkey legs from thanksgiving. They were seasoned, cooked sous vide, vacuum bagged and then frozen. What should I do with them

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I bought the milk from the Pennsylvania Dutch. They've been selling this at Reading Terminal for like five years minimum (judging by the first time I remember seeing it). Figured it'd probably be okay, but. I dunno. :shobon:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 6, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bogart posted:

I bought the milk from the Pennsylvania Dutch. They've been selling this at Reading Terminal for like five years. Figured it'd probably be okay, but. I dunno. :shobon:

PA regulates raw dairy! So you're relatively very okay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I have two turkey legs from thanksgiving. They were seasoned, cooked sous vide, vacuum bagged and then frozen. What should I do with them

turkey legs belong in the trash

or stock?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Steve Yun posted:

thaw both and dual wield while exploring your village

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Steve Yun posted:

Turkey curry, or keep them for this years Thanksgiving and create a four legged turkey to astound your guests.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Turkey curry, or keep them for this years Thanksgiving and create a four legged turkey to astound your guests.

:captainpop:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

AnonSpore posted:

Storebought yeah

They're garbage crap, and don't actually stay crimped on store bought. I've never had the patience to make the skins from scratch, because that's a level of fiddly I'm not here for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Raw milk is fine you pussies.