Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

ShootaBoy posted:

You'd probably need to figure out a cutoff for "working" otherwise it'll be some ancient lucha dude that gets in the ring for one punch per multiman tag.

I think that still counts. You're in a ring as a legal participant, as long as you actually tag in and give offense/take a bump I don't see why it wouldn't count.

But the leader as far as exclusively singles matches would be interesting. I would think that Lawler would be up there in that category but I could be talking out of my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Goldust? He's got to be in the discussion if we're talking wrestlers who are still active.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Goldust? He's got to be in the discussion if we're talking wrestlers who are still active.

With Mexico and Japan he's probably not even in the top 50. Especially given his relative inactivity for the last decade.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

I think that still counts. You're in a ring as a legal participant, as long as you actually tag in and give offense/take a bump I don't see why it wouldn't count.

But the leader as far as exclusively singles matches would be interesting. I would think that Lawler would be up there in that category but I could be talking out of my rear end

I think Lawler’s wrestled at least a couple matches a year since 1970 and is still going

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think Lawler’s wrestled at least a couple matches a year since 1970 and is still going

Ricky Morton maybe, too

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nikolai Volkoff debuted in 1967 and wrestled at least once every year until his death in 2018 apparently

Edit: bushwhacker Luke debuted in 1962 and has wrestled every year since then

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 4, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Based off of cagematch which of course is probably incomplete, especially outside of North America but in terms of people actively wrestling that I thought of off the top of my head (or at least having multiple matches in 2019) the winner but an enormous margin is Liger. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone obvious, but I was not expecting Kane to be the runaway US 'winner'.

Jushin Liger: 4158
Yuji Nagata: 3059
Jun Akiyama: 3049
Hiroyoshi Tenzan: 3044
Satoshi Kojima: 3039
Atlantis: 3033
Kane: 2937
Ultimo Guerrero: 2815
Great Muta: 2732
Manabu Nakanishi: 2699
Dustin Rhodes: 2591
Big Show: 2532
Ricky Morton: 2445
Undertaker: 2364
Chris Jericho: 2336
Randy Orton: 2262
Hiroshi Tanahashi: 2257
John Cena: 2245
Matt Hardy: 2245
Jerry Lawler: 2178
Dr. Wagner Jr.: 2176
Rey Bucanero: 2170
Rey Mysterio: 2036

People who could (conceivably, unlikely in some cases) hit 2000+ soonish

Billy Gunn: 1997
Bully Ray: 1996
Toru Yano: 1989
Robert Gibson: 1967
Triple H: 1967
Jeff Hardy: 1965
Minoru Suzuki: 1947
Dolph Ziggler: 1944
Kofi Kingston: 1939
Tomohiro Ishii: 1933
AJ Styles: 1909

Inside the US it seems really hard to hit 2000+ without being part of the WWE grind for a significant part of your career. Daniels and Colt Cabana are both around 1500, but a bunch of people who have been regulars on the indie scene for the better part of 20 years (Kazarian, the Briscoes, Low Ki, Kingston, Homicide) all seem to top out around 1000 total matches.

My limited knowledge of Mexico/Japan means I mostly only looked up big names who are NJPW lifers or high profile CMLL/AAA legends, so I may well be overlooking those scene's equivalents of a Cabana/Daniels. (Who I realize may in fact just be Curry Man)

Also all of this is based on Cagematch like I said at the outset, there are definitely some super-veterans in the US I assume they're missing some matches for (the idea that Terry Funk only has 2296 matches recorded, or Harley Race with 3071 seems kind of low. Though Ric Flair is well over 4000.)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 4, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that reminds me of the late 90s when chris jericho kept a list of all his matches and there weren't any good resources to just find that stuff about most people. so it was very cool to look at. But later on he stopped because he got mad online

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Edge & Christian posted:

but I was not expecting Kane to be the runaway US 'winner'.

Hasn't he only been injured like once or twice in his career? He was pretty much constantly on TV for 20 years

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the issue with cage match and all of these databases is that for a lot of scenes they are very incomplete - the UK scene pre-modern era is basically non-existent in them: the AJW entries pre-90s are empty and they ran 300 dates a year for all of that time: Lucha stuff is also barebones. Cuts out a lot of potential candidates.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Cesaro has 2105 matches in cagematch and in a year or two when he passes the Undertaker as the more veteran wrestler I hope the Undertaker literally dies.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

IceAgeComing posted:

the issue with cage match and all of these databases is that for a lot of scenes they are very incomplete - the UK scene pre-modern era is basically non-existent in them: the AJW entries pre-90s are empty and they ran 300 dates a year for all of that time: Lucha stuff is also barebones. Cuts out a lot of potential candidates.
It seems like they've been filling in some of that stuff, they've got 150+ events per year for All Japan going back to its inception, though you're right that it's probably incomplete. [url=https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=78&page=19]CMLL seems to be getting filled in piecemeal as well.

I assume there's someone doing research on those promotions, is there anywhere that you can get information on the UK promotions you're talking about, or whatever else is missing from Cagematch/etc.?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Explosions posted:

Cesaro has 2105 matches in cagematch and in a year or two when he passes the Undertaker as the more veteran wrestler I hope the Undertaker literally dies.

:hmmyes:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i half remember an anecdote about Norman Smiley working three shots a day in mexico and having a car trunk full of money so those guys get some matches in. i hope this data useful

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The UK scene on cagematch is pretty good because I went to a ton of shows that are listed on cagematch and only one I can't find.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The UK scene on cagematch is pretty good because I went to a ton of shows that are listed on cagematch and only one I can't find.

The owners are Germans who frequently go to Britwres so that makes sense

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I was thinking of like older UK wrestling - original World of Sport era. For example the main TV promotion that ran a million shows was Joint Promotions and its very incomplete and a lot of that is simply there not being results available - although I know that there are results for all of the shows that taped for TV out there which aren't replicated there but a lot of the random non-TV shows never had results recorded anywhere.

All Japan Women is also incredibly incomplete: I know that in the late 90s/early 2000s they cut back significantly on events since they weren't making money anymore but I don't know if it was to that extent and pre-1993 they are clearly missing a lot of stuff especially from the 80s: they ran more than 3 shows in 1987 for example. That one might also be a case where results aren't recorded anywhere; I think wrestling data has more though which would suggest that its not entirely that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah I don’t think you can really trust Cagematch for this because current wrestlers have virtually every house show match listed and older guys have huge gaps for that

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah I don’t think you can really trust Cagematch for this because current wrestlers have virtually every house show match listed and older guys have huge gaps for that
If we're talking about people who are currently active, there aren't that many people (at least in Japan/US, again I don't know about Mexico or the UK) who were active before Cagematch has good coverage.

Cagematch has Liger wrestling 100+ matches pretty consistently from 1984 to present, with the exceptions all being pretty close to 100 outside of 1995 (53), though yeah, looking at it by year someone like Atlantis is only recorded as having under 50 matches per year for most of the 1980s and 1990s, which is surely off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mae Young wrestled in some ridiculous number of decades; not the most matches ever but every decade since like the 40s or something?

Also was Mae Young a gigantic piece of poo poo like Moolah? I've forgotten because there are so many of them in wrestling.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also was Mae Young a gigantic piece of poo poo like Moolah? I've forgotten because there are so many of them in wrestling.

From what I recall she was Moolah's muscle, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Haha, the Smackdown debut on Fox had Lesnar squashing Kofi for the title in five seconds? Get hosed WWE.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 5, 2019

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Make young was absolutely as bad as moolah. She lived with her for the majority of her later years in life and was as big a part in squashing womens wrestling out in the US as Moolah.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone know where I could find something very specific?

Back when ECW was on the air in the late 90s they would air these title history packages that were great. It was Paul Heyman voicing over the title history of everyone from the first champ to the most recent and every new champ would have their theme music playing over video of them winning it. I can't find it anywhere and always thought it was a great way to give new fans who didn't know everything about the fed a history lesson.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
This? https://youtu.be/0xSEz9MJxuk

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

gently caress yes!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of ECW, does anybody know which commercial with "IT'S TOMMY DREAMER AND BRIAN LEE, HIGH INCIDENT!"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

lol @ heyman retconning ECW history so that 'Stone Cold' was in a championship match and not just Steve Austin

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Seams posted:

lol @ heyman retconning ECW history so that 'Stone Cold' was in a championship match and not just Steve Austin

he doesnt so much as call him stone cold but talks about the stone cold character while talking about steve austin he's winking the whole time though

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Randaconda posted:

speaking of ECW, does anybody know which commercial with "IT'S TOMMY DREAMER AND BRIAN LEE, HIGH INCIDENT!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32UuXmV-JY

It's the same commercial where "KIMONA WANALEYA DANCED ATOP THE ECW ARENA"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aku posted:

Thanks! :buddy: I could hear it clear as day in my head, but couldn't remember the exact commercial.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aku posted:

That Filter song has aged alarmingly well. A shame that nothing else they did is remotely memorable.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
AEW bring back Pulp Fiction promos and year-end recaps to November Rain, you cowards

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Seams posted:

I mean, it is literally the same dude with the same name, just different nickname & haircut, I dunno if I'd call that a retcon

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the best strap match of all time?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the best strap match of all time?
Here are the highest rated ones according to Big Dave:

WCW Uncensored 2000 - Hogan vs. Flair (Strap) ***** 1/4*
WCW Superbrawl III (1993) - Sting vs. Vader (Strap) **** 1/4
WWF In Your House Beware of Dog 1996 - Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin (Strap) ****
TNA August 6 2003 - America's Most Wanted vs. Swinger & Diamond (Strap) *** 1/2
WCW Uncensored 1995 - Hogan vs. Vader (Strap) *** 1/2
WWF Fully Loaded 1999 - Rock vs HHH (Strap) *** 1/4
ROH Best in the World 2017 - Adam Page vs. Kazarian (Strap) ***
TNA Slammiversary 2017 - James Storm vs. EC3 (Strap) ***

* Three extra stars granted for using Yapapi for the strapation, brother

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So what WWE does with the 24/7 belt, based on the recaps I read every week, seems to be exclusively "current champion is chased through the arena by a mob of people, or is hiding in a room/box/other enclosed space." I don't remember the Hardcore title circa 2000 being handled this way? I know Crash's whole gimmick was pretty much getting chased around and running away but I remember a lot more..... I dunno, stretches of calmness around the Hardcore title. Like the champion would actually walk around backstage before they got ambushed by like one, maybe two or three people, rather than constantly being followed by the entire jobber locker room. They'd actually come out for matches sometimes, and then a couple of guys would join in and try to steal the belt in the middle of it, stuff like that.

Am I remembering the Hardcore title right, was the belt that gave us the Headbangers chasing Crash Holly through Funtime USA and the Mean Street Posse dressed as a bunch of clowns ambushing him in the parking lot of a circus somehow more subtle than the 24/7 title?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It definitely has its moments of circus activity, like Patterson, Brisco, and one of Godfather's ladies (didn't she turn out to be Victoria or someone like that) all becoming champions in goofy ways backstage.

You also had less silly stuff, too, like Raven as champion and the amazing 3-way match with Kane and Big Show at Mania.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

It definitely has its moments of circus activity, like Patterson, Brisco, and one of Godfather's ladies (didn't she turn out to be Victoria or someone like that) all becoming champions in goofy ways backstage.

You also had less silly stuff, too, like Raven as champion and the amazing 3-way match with Kane and Big Show at Mania.

Or Raven's match with Rhino at Backlash.

Rosd Dogg was also a pretty good champ, he had some fun matches as the champ

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 9, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Edge & Christian posted:

Here are the highest rated ones according to Big Dave:

WCW Uncensored 2000 - Hogan vs. Flair (Strap) ***** 1/4*
WCW Superbrawl III (1993) - Sting vs. Vader (Strap) **** 1/4
WWF In Your House Beware of Dog 1996 - Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin (Strap) ****
TNA August 6 2003 - America's Most Wanted vs. Swinger & Diamond (Strap) *** 1/2
WCW Uncensored 1995 - Hogan vs. Vader (Strap) *** 1/2
WWF Fully Loaded 1999 - Rock vs HHH (Strap) *** 1/4
ROH Best in the World 2017 - Adam Page vs. Kazarian (Strap) ***
TNA Slammiversary 2017 - James Storm vs. EC3 (Strap) ***

* Three extra stars granted for using Yapapi for the strapation, brother

Follow up question is how many of those matches have the finish where the face covertly taps the first three turnbuckles while the heel drags him around the ring, then finally "intercepts" the fourth for the dramatic win.

I swear like 99% of strap matches have done that, and I hate it because whenever they explain the rules before the match it sounds like it shouldn't even work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine Brad Armstrong with Brian's charisma :allears: