Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

colachute posted:

What happened to that dumbass who broke his back on a jump or some poo poo and was like “can’t wait to do summadatgruntshit and jump again!” while he was still healing?

That would have been the dude who was like individually assigned in Italy or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Funkysock posted:

32 soldiers were injured, and a total of 87 ended up in the trees during a jump the other day.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/mil...sippi-training/

Airborne infantry is stupid, and I want to make fun of it, but broken vertebrae is way too sobering. Who is in charge of the weather decision on these? I seem to recall it's the Air Force, but this kind of gently caress up seems all Army to me.

Both. The aircraft/aircrew have their own weather minimums, but the decision to jump also depends on the parachutists minimums. So the DZO/jumpmasters are also responsible for knowing whether it's safe for their guys to jump.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Usually they just jump because of budget lmao

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It seems like there was a brief window in history where things were dire enough that throwing men out of airplanes was preferable to defeat by fascism. It was also not even close to the strangest idea to come out of that war.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Maybe they were burning the last of FY2018 budget so that they’ll get enough money to have to do this exact same panic spending next year.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Both. The aircraft/aircrew have their own weather minimums, but the decision to jump also depends on the parachutists minimums. So the DZO/jumpmasters are also responsible for knowing whether it's safe for their guys to jump.

I'm sure they'll figure out exactly which E-6 is ultimately completely to blame for it.

Also I can't help imagining a mil-spec cherry picker somberly driving around the woods all night, plucking dudes out of trees:

quote:

The slow process of pulling paratroopers from the trees in a remote part of the camp meant patients trickled into a local hospital overnight and into Thursday morning.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bernie had a full-blown heart attack.

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1180243206706995200?s=19

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm curious if this jump was planned before or after Russia's exercise a week or two ago.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I can't say it's still the same, but when I was in the 82d, if you were in harness and on an aircraft, you exited.

Ground winds too high? Tuck and roll, bitch.

We had a JRTX that went similar to the jump in that article, with less tree landings. According to the E4 on DZ duty, they had 23 knot gusts, with a sustained wind of something not much lower. We jumped because SecArmy (or other dumb poo poo fake important person) was in the stands.
I got a concussion- I literally landed so hard I knocked myself retarded. No clue where I was, why I was in a harness, and why the guy next to me sounded like he was dying. Luckily, training had me pop my shoulder release. Guy next to me? Landed so hard he damaged the lining in his lungs according to the doc who saw him.
BN said we pulled 71 chutes from trees after the jump. SMJ didn't like that we hooked them to the tow hook and just pulled them with humvees. Same jump they told us not to bring water, because most of us were immediately getting on trucks and heading back. Heat Casualties for everyone!

82d is stupid. Airborne is stupid. Most of all, I am stupid.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EBB posted:

It seems like there was a brief window in history where things were dire enough that throwing men out of airplanes was preferable to defeat by fascism. It was also not even close to the strangest idea to come out of that war.

Where do parachutists fit in with a modern military anyway? If things are so dire that we can't land planes to unload soldiers, would light infantry have any survavibility? Or are they the ones taking runways and such so the heavier equipment can follow?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Game time. Congress has subpoenaed the White House.

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1180248118085988356?s=19

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Where do parachutists fit in with a modern military anyway? If things are so dire that we can't land planes to unload soldiers, would light infantry have any survavibility? Or are they the ones taking runways and such so the heavier equipment can follow?

Airfield seizure, but why we need an entire division of light infantry on jump status is a great question.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/UnusualVideos/status/1178779981528227840?s=20

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

Airfield seizure, but why we need an entire division of light infantry on jump status is a great question.

Hah, looks like the last time we bothered to drop paras was in Iraq, and there were already ground forces at the target. I assume someone insisted so they could pretend to be useful?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.rollcall.com/news/congress/impeachment-panels-demand-rick-perry-travel-meeting-records

rick perry didnt run fast enough

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hah, looks like the last time we bothered to drop paras was in Iraq, and there were already ground forces at the target. I assume someone insisted so they could pretend to be useful?

They had planned to drop a Brigade onto BIAP.

Source- on the scrubbed op.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm shocked that 4/25 would do something stupid during a major training event.

This is the same unit where a BN CSM had to be ordered by a full bird colonel in charge of their part of the exercise that they weren't allowed to wear the notionally destroyed body armor, because this is a unit from loving Alaska that went down to Louisiana and had to deal with going from temperatures of 0°F to 90°F without taking humidity into account, and everyone would be a heat casualty, which was the whole point of them notionally destroying the things in the first place.

Edit: that was one of a litany of severe command issues with that unit while I was there. I could go on and on. loving ruined what should have been a 3 year paid vacation by trying everything possible to convince big Army not to draw down the Brigade to a Task Force.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 5, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Only part that interests me is how fast they can get this before judges to overcome the multiple insane bullshit justifications the White House legal team comes up with for Trump's stance of "gently caress you make me."

I would like to think that would be a very expedited situation but I'm not optimistic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Only part that interests me is how fast they can get this before judges to overcome the multiple insane bullshit justifications the White House legal team comes up with for Trump's stance of "gently caress you make me."

I would like to think that would be a very expedited situation but I'm not optimistic.

I don’t see the Supreme Court reducing its own power by overturning United States v Nixon.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They'll still just ignore it because no one is going to jail

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t see the Supreme Court reducing its own power by overturning United States v Nixon.

Probably not, I'm more worried about them vomiting bullshit justifications, stone-walling for months and months every time they come up with another excuse and turning it into another Mueller report arcane legal bickering match that nobody remembers anymore then dragging it out past the elections.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If I recall correctly it was that airborne unit out of Italy and they got some command hardon for getting their combat jump mustard stripe.

Proceeded to jump after friendly forces had the airfield, I think the Kurds. Then rumor has it spent the rest of the time running around confused trying to sort out their equipment.

May be bad memory, I was too busy with the push to Baghdad with 3ID so only heard about it as a funny "what else is happening in this mess" story.

Found it
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northern_Delay

Spaceguns fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 5, 2019

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Flying_Crab posted:

They probably figure you need to drop the whole division in order to end up with a battalion's worth of dudes on the ground with functional backs and knees actually able to do poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I talked to guys on both sides of the jump- one of the dudes came to Bragg from Italy, and I did a little work with some of the SF that were with the Kurds.

The dude from the 173 said that when they landed, all the SF and locals were sitting around fires, lounging a bit and enjoying some food.

IIRC, the Airborne doctrine says to expect 30% combat incapable from the drop alone.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Spaceguns posted:

If I recall correctly it was that airborne unit out of Italy and they got some command hardon for getting their combat jump mustard stripe.

Proceeded to jump after friendly forces had the airfield, I think the Kurds. Then rumor has it spent the rest of the time running around confused trying to sort out their equipment.

May be bad memory, I was too busy with the push to Baghdad with 3ID so only heard about it as a funny "what else is happening in this mess" story.

Found it

From what I remember reading they dropped the majority of the guys into freshly plowed fields that had been turned into waist-deep mud pits after a rain storm, and high winds scattered the units to the point where it took two days to get everything sorted out and actually "take" the airfield.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a80b_story.html

quote:

On Jan. 28, Trump called Putin for what should have been a routine formality: accepting a foreign leader’s congratulations. Former White House officials described Trump as “obsequious” and “fawning,” but said he also rambled off into different topics without any clear point, while Putin appeared to stick to formal talking points for a first official exchange.

“He was like, ‘Oh my gosh, my people didn’t tell me you wanted to talk to me,’ ” said one person with direct knowledge of the call.

quote:

In a summer 2018 call with Prime Minister Theresa May, Trump harangued the British leader about her country’s contribution to NATO. He then disputed her intelligence community’s conclusion that Putin’s government had orchestrated the attempted murder and poisoning of a former Russian spy on British soil.

quote:

In another call, in April 2017, Trump told Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who had overseen a brutal campaign that has resulted in the extrajudicial killings of thousands of suspected drug dealers, that he was doing an “unbelievable job on the drug problem.”

What the actual gently caress. :stonklol:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I wish we weren’t living through the sequel to Being There in real time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

In a conversation with China’s Xi, Trump repeated numerous times how much he liked a kind of chocolate cake, one former official said. The president publicly described the dessert the two had in April 2017 when Trump and Xi met at the president’s Mar-a-Lago resort as “the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake you have ever seen.”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
btw, a second whistleblower (has thought about) hitting the tower

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1180286546278264832

Said person was already interviewed by the IC IG, but fuckin lol if Donnie thought trashing the original whistleblower would end the whole thing. The only real step left is for the GOP Senate to go I LOVE CRIMES UNLESS THEY'RE DONE BY OBAMA in a trial.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm shocked that 4/25 would do something stupid during a major training event.

This is the same unit where a BN CSM had to be ordered by a full bird colonel in charge of their part of the exercise that they weren't allowed to wear the notionally destroyed body armor, because this is a unit from loving Alaska that went down to Louisiana and had to deal with going from temperatures of 0°F to 90°F without taking humidity into account, and everyone would be a heat casualty, which was the whole point of them notionally destroying the things in the first place.

Edit: that was one of a litany of severe command issues with that unit while I was there. I could go on and on. loving ruined what should have been a 3 year paid vacation by trying everything possible to convince big Army not to draw down the Brigade to a Task Force.

In my BN in 2-2 we had a Ranger 1SG during our Pathways mission that refused to let his Soldiers from JBLM, WA (where it's rarely warm enough to sweat outside) take off their IOTVs in the jungles of Malaysia and Thailand during the summer and threatened article 15s for anyone that heat cats.

He ended up being one of the first heat casualties we had.

The US Army is packed to the brim with some of the dumbest people this planet has to offer.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

https://terminallance.com/2019/10/04/terminal-lance-a-proper-date/

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Oh yeah Russia exectuted a biowarfare attack in the UK that killed several people including police officers, so Russia quite literally attacked the security forces of a foreign state and ... Nothing happened.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:honk:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

Oh yeah Russia exectuted a biowarfare attack in the UK that killed several people including police officers, so Russia quite literally attacked the security forces of a foreign state and ... Nothing happened.

What are the odds that any retaliation by the Brits will be unclassified in fifty years or so?

I can't imagine this went entirely unpunished even covertly. Even if all it was, was some MI6 chap went in and urinated in Putins favorite coffee cup.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I always enjoyed how the Army would do everything in their power to make a trooper a heat cas, then blame them for almost dying.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Y'all should read who we currently have as Donnie's sycophant Ambassador to the EU. It's really worth a full read - this dude is rich, entitled, and a gigantic moron.

https://twitter.com/gregpmiller/status/1180303515530534914

What I can't figure out - why did he agree to get deposed by the House on Tuesday? Is he going to turn it into a shitshow, or is he going to rat?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1180309151785897984

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 5, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
the world is stupid

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Spaceguns posted:

Found it

I'm late to the party here, but this whole op was a huge clusterfuck. Years afterward, I deployed with a MSG from 3rd Group who had been a team sergeant on the ground during the drop. The whole area was already secure beforehand, and the only outcome was a bunch of soldiers who got injured for no reason. He and his ODA spent the next few hours locating and extracting around soldiers with busted legs and no gear. All because the Airborne leadership wanted to have a combat jump under their belt.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Want someone to do a cost benefit analysis for airborne that also takes into account the lifetime payouts from VA disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you ask 173rd, their very presence jumping pinned down like ten times their number in Iraqi troops or something.

Evidence: those Iraqi Troops didn’t invade Turkey, now did they?