Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

The point is is that they are making a TV show. They know they’re making a TV Show. Conversations get re-shot. Unflattering moments of production get cut. Things get edited to tell a story.

No one has ever been that excited for the spices reward and it’s not the first time this season where reactions seemed disingenuous and exaggerated.

I agree with the first line and not the second one. Just because they know its a TV show doesn't mean some people don't react big to things you wouldn't sitting at home on your couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

They must do 3-4 takes of the family visit to get the desired amount of crying. I’m never that emotional when I see my mom.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Me either but I think it's just seeing a familiar face lets people drop the armor for a second and all the stress of not eating, not sleeping, getting covered in bites and scrapes, not trusting anyone ever, lying and scrambling, etc just comes whistling out like a tea kettle

Humans are social animals and Survivor fucks with everything about how we normally live. For most people that's extremely stressful after a while. Even in prison or on a real shipwreck island, people are at least really living their lives not playing a high stakes game 24/7

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I think that's one area where they probably don't. If you were following along with Big Brother this season, there was a standout moment where the last person evicted caught site of their family during their interview with Julie and started crying. I can't imagine how that gets compounded when you're also tired and starving to death and you meet the only person on the island you can 100% trust.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't "get" the Family Visits but I totally grant that I have no idea what the pure stress and paranoia and isolation of these games must feel like and what an oasis seeing someone you love and trust must be.

Put me on the side of people who think the tribe made the right call. Molly didn't really seem like a bad person or anything like Noura was insisting but she was obviously in that little cocky clique that thought they were running things. And I definitely think its smarter to cut that poo poo off early before the game becomes a numbers game. Who knows how it will work out but "easy votes" only help you if (a) you're in power or (b) you're in the hole.

The purple tribe is weirdly cliquish and petty but like it can't all be Noura. Jamal was a cocky dick and a whole bunch of people talked about "tribe culture." Also Molly had a really low key bad line in tribal about how it "offended" her that the obvious target felt like an obvious target. Something's weird in that tribe and if the majority of the tribe thought that came down to a cocky cliquish three then maybe it really did?

Other things that amused me this episode:
- Dude declaring on Day 3 that he would get vengeance on his entire tribe because he got blindsided on the vote against a guy he claims he didn’t even care that much about.
- Noura. Everything Noura. She’s a train wreck.
- Those idols.
- Boston Rob being obligated to assure everyone that he and Sandra can’t win the season.
- Rob's trick literally being "did you listen when people were talking to you?"
- That amazing “I don’t have an idol!” show from the lady who actually listened when people spoke.
- “We’re trying to control the game without anyone noticing and I think we’re really impressed with ourselves.”
- “Even a blind man can see that they’re together.”
- Rob and Sandra’s Spy Shack.

Ultimately I’m just incredibly amused by how incredibly amused Rob and Sandra are.

SalTheBard posted:

How did you handle it last night STAC? I ended up watching both on DVR because I fell asleep about 30 seconds into AEW because I was so loving tired.

I watched AEW live, watched baseball and horror for 2 days, and FINALLY got a chance to sit down and watch Survivor because of a boring game. I'm just a little sad that I abandoned my Survivor/Know It All thing. I enjoy that routine. But I think its dead at least until October ends.

Fast Luck posted:

Like, Noura sucks but it wasn't her that got the vote flipped, it was the middle of the tribe who wanted to take over because they didn't like how obviously those other 3 were sitting on top. I do think there were some insecurities involved in targeting Molly, some of the things they said about her being Parv etc were... curious. But big move by Lauren for setting up this flip and putting her faction in power.

I think it was literally that huge rear end smile Molly had. Like the 4th or 5th time I saw it it started to trigger something in me I couldn't quite figure out and it totally was a thing Parv had. So charming, pretty lady putting herself in a power game position with this one thing that stands out... "Next Parvati".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 4, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought the Parv comparison was silly before but when you put it that way it does kind of make sense.

That smile... that damned smile

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At least for me I really do think it was some weird trigger/response. Like once I really noticed that smile and put it together with the "Parv" mentions it clicked and something told me "That Molly is getting away with something and laughing about it with that smile."

The fact that she was in what was apparently a really obvious cocky secret alliance who were trying to control things, and I think that subtextual thing might have factored into them deciding she was the Parv mastermind behind the two guys.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It could also be 'I want a reason to get people on board with voting her out, let's just compare her to Parvati'.

I don't think any one person has had such an effect on future contestants just even as a comparison.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure there can truly ever be another Parvati this many seasons in. People are really quick to try and take out anyone they perceive to be too likeable. We really often get final squads of meh people who found a balance of between turd and fan fav in the making.

If Parv is a 20, and Hantzes/Colton are 1s, then it seems the most dangerous Charisma score in these later seasons is actually floating around 10. I'm not sure you could really try pulling off just targeting the meh people as a strategy though, it would be hilarious to see someone pitc that approach though.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Khanstant posted:

I'm not sure there can truly ever be another Parvati this many seasons in. People are really quick to try and take out anyone they perceive to be too likeable. We really often get final squads of meh people who found a balance of between turd and fan fav in the making.

If Parv is a 20, and Hantzes/Colton are 1s, then it seems the most dangerous Charisma score in these later seasons is actually floating around 10. I'm not sure you could really try pulling off just targeting the meh people as a strategy though, it would be hilarious to see someone pitc that approach though.

It's amazing to me how complicit threats are on voting off other threats and not trying to keep some around as a shield, especially last season. It's like everyone thinks they are smooth enough to cruise to the final and win once they are the most likeable/respected one left. Like, did Kelly really think she was headed to the finals after all the other returnees on the season were sent packing to EoE?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's always been tricky to manage threats as ideally use them as shields but we're also at a point where BIG MOVES have been shown to create an immediate domino effect. If you're in a solid position it's really not worth collaborating with an early coup.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This episode had shades of One World when the 4 bros thought they ran the tribe and the other 6 guys were like "uhhhhhh".

As annoying as somebody like Noura is, thinking your minority alliance is in control and acting accordingly cocky and complacent is a cardinal sin in this game. Molly was smooth as hell and if you don't feel comfortable about being in an alliance with somebody like that going forward, booting them early is fair play.

Also, I didn't think I'd find myself enjoying Rob and Sandra so much as meta Survivor narrators but here we are.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The first week reaction where the person flipped out when she saw the Rob and Sandra statues was so obviously fake that I'm surprised people don't realize how much of this show gets re shot

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
On Know-It-Alls, Stephen one time talked about how they're never told to have over-the-top reactions (particularly at the reveals of rewards) but it's a weird thing he found himself doing in the moment partly because it was what he was used to seeing on TV.

That being said, if I had to eat nothing but tiny portions of super bland rice for a week straight and was staring down another month of the same and then had the possibility of spices dangled in front of me, I'd probably be very over the top in my emotions too.

No idea if they re-shot reaction shots to Rob/Sandra busts but it is funny that the only two people on the cast that didn't seem to be fans of the show were Elizabeth and Kellee, so bad luck on the show's part for obtaining legitimate excited reactions there.

I do get the sense the show's production ethos is more in line with "pumping up the castaways to have weirdly big reactions to everything" then "re-shoot bad footage with faked big reactions" though. The only re-shoot stories I've heard* are situations where the cameras miss something (usually an idol find), and even then they don't really make the players act they just use them more as moving body doubles to get enough footage to make the story make sense. I actually bet Chelsea's idol find was re-shot for exactly this reason, because the find itself was completely brief and stoic and all genuine reaction stuff was in confessional.

*(okay, one notable exception is the buzz that the Final Tribal Council of Season 4 was completely re-shot after they weren't happy with the first round, but I feel like that's more of a weird early season anomaly where Jeff was uncomfortable doing his on-the-fly producing/meddling than the type of thing that regularly happens nowadays)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Typical Goon posted:

The first week reaction where the person flipped out when she saw the Rob and Sandra statues was so obviously fake that I'm surprised people don't realize how much of this show gets re shot

Apparently I'm hopelessly naive

Or maybe I've just met more people who react like that to minor things every single day so someone reaching that way to big honking beach busts wasn't at all surprising

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think anything of it. People have weird or over the top reactions to stuff all the time and they're usually not really hungry, really hyped up by truly unique circumstances, or being followed around by cameras to appear on a major network television show. Some people perform for the cameras naturally. And if I saw a giant as Sandra idol and then she started walking up to me on an episode of Survivor I can't say I wouldn't get silly.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's always been tricky to manage threats as ideally use them as shields but we're also at a point where BIG MOVES have been shown to create an immediate domino effect. If you're in a solid position it's really not worth collaborating with an early coup.

I don't think its worth STARTING a coup, but collaborating in one is fine if you can avoid taking the blame/credit. In a case like this Noura and what's his name (Jason?) are the ones drawing attention on themselves and Molly's trio was clearly doing their own thing, so those people in the middle aren't really betraying someone or leading the charge. So if they can make sure any heat just falls back on the people on the fringes then its fine and they not only eliminated a potential threat and put themselves into the possible power position, but they made more "easy" targets.

What I think is funny is what happened isn't all that different from what happened with the first Tribal. A couple of people were designated easy targets by a small group of "leaders", the middle of the tribe talked it out away from the two fringes, things flipped and the "leader" was blindsided along with his closest couple of allies. But in that instance the people at the bottom were likable and the person "running things" was an rear end in a top hat so I don't think near as many people questioned it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Any time I see someone on these shows losing their mind with an over the top reaction I think it’s producer forced or a reshoot. Then I remember my mother in law who acts like that in real life for very basic things and I guess some people just get excited very easily.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bigass Moth posted:

Any time I see someone on these shows losing their mind with an over the top reaction I think it’s producer forced or a reshoot. Then I remember my mother in law who acts like that in real life for very basic things and I guess some people just get excited very easily.

Yeah the world is poo poo but there are still non-cynical explanations for a few things out there

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Maybe I was exaggerating when I said it was super obvious but it strongly reminded me of peoples reactions in Big Brother Canada where they always bring back past 'notable' houseguests and the people flip out, even when they've admitted they've only watched the past season of the show

I bet there's footage out there of at least one survivor walking up to the statues and being all 'who the gently caress are these guys' :confused:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They probably showed them all some clips from Rob and Sandra before sending them to the island anyway so everyone would know who they are.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I’m pretty sure they still do this (maybe not), but past survivors have said that in the sequester lead up to the game production picks out a couple old seasons for them to watch pre-game, either to psych them out for upcoming twists or to give context for poo poo that’s happening.

Based on what we’ve seen, I’m guessing they were given Rob’s win, HvV, and Ghost Island, which would explain most of the reactions we’ve seen to various things so far other than the spices.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Typical Goon posted:

Maybe I was exaggerating when I said it was super obvious but it strongly reminded me of peoples reactions in Big Brother Canada where they always bring back past 'notable' houseguests and the people flip out, even when they've admitted they've only watched the past season of the show

I bet there's footage out there of at least one survivor walking up to the statues and being all 'who the gently caress are these guys' :confused:

See, even with the BB thing I think there's just simple elements of "OH MY GOD, ITS ANOTHER HUMAN BEING TO INTERACT WITH!" or "OH MY GOD, I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE ON TV AND THAT'S WHY I'M HERE!"

Obviously production pumps stuff up or stages stuff. But also you're dealing with people who actively choose to be on TV and want to be stars. So they generally probably don't have to be told to play it up for the camera or react to an obvious show moment.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Giant 25 foot heads are going to garner a visible reaction regardless of whether or not you recognize the face. If you don't at least go "whoa" when you see poo poo like that, you shouldn't have been cast on the show.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I actually was a little surprised by Kellee's shocked reaction. Wasn't she somebody who knew next to nothing about the show when she was recruited?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like what commentator Shannon Gaitz is saying. Rob and Sandra aren’t mentors. They’re producers.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

I like what commentator Shannon Gaitz is saying. Rob and Sandra aren’t mentors. They’re producers.

Yes.
That whole podcast is hilarious and informative and that was a great insight that helps explain a lot of what they're doing. Also good explanation for why both Survivors returned to their camps with similar lies about what happened on the IOI.

I like Rob C''s bewilderment over why Sandra and Boston Rob have to live isolated in a hut on an island instead of in a hotel, or in fully-furnished apartments inside the giant heads.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I would assume it's probably a nice furnished hut that gets rented out to people on vacation on a regular basis and not some dirty hovel put together just for them though...

Also so much can be explained by knowing that the castaways usually watch a few previous seasons prior to the game starting. 2 castaways telling lies about the IOI similar to Ghost Island's twist and all the other players seemingly believing the lie. It's pretty easy to guess, they all likely just watched Ghost Island days before playing the game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We saw them building a shelter in episode 1, but I'm convinced they're chilling at Ponderosa or something similar together.

Spoilers for next season.
Especially considering they're going to be playing a week or so after this season wraps up filming, I'm sure they didn't want to be totally wiped out before even going out there.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
All the pre-season coverage insisted they were really living out there and there was a secret scene this week that showed them sleeping on the bamboo.

It makes so little sense for them to be living out there that I don't blame anyone who refuses to believe it but all evidence suggests they really are living there in traditional Survivor conditions.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's so incredibly stupid I can't believe it.

Thread title? gently caress that. New show tagline.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't usually get all "rigged/they're lying to us" but I don't buy that for a second. There's literally nothing Survivor could do or show me that would convince me that Rob and Sandra are roughing it on rice and a home built shelter for 30 days. That's just dumb.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, there really is no way at all they are actually roughing it on the island. Just doesn't make any sense.

Like they probably spend less than an hour with a castaway every 3 days then go to a tribal council. They might be staying on the island, but there's no way they don't have a legit beach cabin / shelter.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

is this like when part of the audience thought people were actually getting murdered on Whodunit?

rip Whodunit too beautiful for this world.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
My assumption was that they were showing them build the thing that they talk to the guests on -- it looks pretty shelter-like, after all

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Here's the secret scene I mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne1eqifkRlY
It'd be a weird thing to fake a scene like this so I'm pretty firmly on the side of "they're really living there" but I am so confused as to why. Unfortunately the only reasonable explanation is that they're entering the game in some capacity at some point.

I forget if I posted it in this thread or not, but my theory pre-season was that at the merge Rob and Sandra will somehow have the opportunity to "replace" a player in the game. So if, say, Rob replaces Dean then Dean is out and Rob is playing "as" him, inheriting any idols/advantages, and if Rob wins than Dean "wins" and Dean gets the million. The Oath of the Idols seems consistent with this theory (I guess you'd have to say the loophole for "we do not vote" is "ROB doesn't have a vote, DEAN has the vote and Rob is just using it for him").

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, all that scene shows is them starting a fire. I believe they started a fire.

Maybe they're out there camping instead of staying with Jeff if they really felt it enhanced the idea or just sounded fun. I don't know. But like, they're not out there "Surviving". You can't convince me of that.

But they also might just be putting on a show for the narrative and so Rob can impress his daughters while sipping brandy in an air conditioned room with Jeff. That's way more plausible than the other extreme.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, like I'm sure they might be camping out on the island. But it'd be really hard for you to convince me that the beach / island they are staying on isn't just a plush Fiji resort.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're probably getting paid a couple mil each to be there - who gives a poo poo if they are sleeping on a mattress or not

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
They're clearly living in luxury rooms inside the heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Even worse than actually roughing the conditions must be the boredom. I hope they're given magazines or ipads or something out there.