Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

yea 'worst' case for the republicans this causes a split between the Mitt Romney 'perhaps we should give tax incentives to businesses who pay under minimum wage, for the market...' losers and the blood and soil jesus freaks, and spoiler alert the current crop of republicans will happily side with the latte and those guys will wallow in Trump's filth like the pigs they are.

yeah. but i think the latter won't help them win, they have a better shot going with the romney types because than they can just pretend to be vaguely socially progressive like every giant corporations. outside parts of the south and midwest, no one wants a weird theorcractic white flight state.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

George Bush left office with one of the lowest approval ratings in a century, a quagmire in Iraq, a great recession, etc etc and even crazier conservatives emerged from the corpse of his admin and won landslide victories only 2 years later.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180248057159540737

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180245134363025415

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1180173641465700352

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol if disney gives him a cease and desist.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. they will get hosed bad for a while maybe a decade maybe. but they will go full fiscal conservative and probably toss the evangelicals.

Honestly marginalizing evangelicals is a HUGE loving victory for society and the planet imo

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Judge Orders Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to Explain Twitter to Him in Court
jezebel.com/Yesterday 9:00pm
"The testimony is part of an ongoing lawsuit brought by ex-Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind, who says Ocasio-Cortez violated his First Amendment rights when she blocked him. Hikind claims he was blocked after criticizing Ocasio-Cortez for comparing migrant detention centers to WWII concentration camps."
'At an August town hall, Ocasio-Cortez countered that she’s blocked fewer than 20 people for harassing her, not for any particular political stance. She also pointed out that no one has a constitutional right to be heard:

“While people have a right to say whatever they want, they do not have a right to force me to hear it,” she said. “Free speech isn’t an entitlement to force someone to endure your harassment.”'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. but i think the latter won't help them win, they have a better shot going with the romney types because than they can just pretend to be vaguely socially progressive like every giant corporations. outside parts of the south and midwest, no one wants a weird theorcractic white flight state.

it won't, if I had to guess in my very real and totally not me jacking myself off crystal ball I'd assume the GOP fracturing would lead to them more or less becoming a local/judicial movement and a minority party until they can gather enough unhappiness to get another Trump cycle of 'PUSH THE BUMS OUT ONLY I CAN SAVE US' 'OK SO WHAT I DID CRIMES AND NOTHING TO HELP YOU WE HATE THE SAME PEOPLE' 'FUCKIN JEW DEMS STOLE THE ELECTION!'

Until, ya know, we get a storming the senate moment when the fascists just openly admit they view democracy as liberal indulgence and drag us into balkanization and horrific civil war.

Or climate change kills us first, 3:1 odds I'd call it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Otteration posted:

"The testimony is part of an ongoing lawsuit brought by ex-Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind, who says Ocasio-Cortez violated his First Amendment rights when she blocked him. Hikind claims he was blocked after criticizing Ocasio-Cortez for comparing migrant detention centers to WWII concentration camps."
'At an August town hall, Ocasio-Cortez countered that she’s blocked fewer than 20 people for harassing her, not for any particular political stance. She also pointed out that no one has a constitutional right to be heard:

“While people have a right to say whatever they want, they do not have a right to force me to hear it,” she said. “Free speech isn’t an entitlement to force someone to endure your harassment.”'

Yeah this is the loving problem of having major and important speech platforms in private hands. They're basically arguing that public officials are not personally allowed to deal with harassment on the platform, they have to wait for the private entity to do so on their behalf, based on ambiguous and poorly enforced criteria.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Mantis42 posted:

George Bush left office with one of the lowest approval ratings in a century, a quagmire in Iraq, a great recession, etc etc and even crazier conservatives emerged from the corpse of his admin and won landslide victories only 2 years later.

It's because Obama was black. It really is just that loving simple. The idea a black man was "giving them orders" made them want the loudest, meanest, shittiest person they could find that would exact their revenge for Obama's blackness.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Republican Party exists to serve the interests of the greed freaks by harnessing the votes of the religious nuts and white nationalists. I don't see how you decouple them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I genuinely don't believe America can last as a thing, I think we're literally too big and the oppression of capitalism has done so much damage that some form of balkanization is inevitable, both sides seem to agree too considering how they talk about each other, it's really only a matter of 'when' the violent fascists we've been emboldening decide to call the technocratic class' bluff and realize they could clean up as some kind of feudal lord.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder if chuds ever get tired of falling for the same dumb obvious bullshit over and over and over and loving over again. I've heard this type of thing a million loving times about a million different things.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tokyo reject posted:

It's because Obama was black. It really is just that loving simple. The idea a black man was "giving them orders" made them want the loudest, meanest, shittiest person they could find that would exact their revenge for Obama's blackness.
They wanted to prove that the meanest, stupidest, most offensive white man was superior to any black man (or woman).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sean10mm posted:

The Republican Party exists to serve the interests of the greed freaks by harnessing the votes of the religious nuts and white nationalists. I don't see how you decouple them.

the greed freaks are revealing themselves more and more to be genuinely fairly apolitical as long as they're allowed to do whatever they want (which of course is political but the nazis and such don't really mind letting the greed class do what they want as long as they don't mind being called social justice cucks any time they say 'maybe don't shout the n-word at our events guys' or whatever).

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The writing has been on the wall for over a decade. I won a loving social studies bursary for a long outlining the imminent end of America back in 2006 FFS.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

tokyo reject posted:

I sometimes wonder if the 2010 Tea Party backlash would have been as extreme if it were Hillary in office.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

sean10mm posted:

Honestly? By prying religion out of the hands out the white supremacists. They have an extremely hard time getting people to pull the lever for white supremacy when it's not Jesus flavored. Religious identification is currently collapsing because young people aren't adopting Christianity like they used to with few exceptions.

People still will pull the lever for white supremacy, but the trappings of religion is the sugar coating that takes away the bitter taste. Without that, white supremacy can't remain nationally viable, especially as demographics continue to shift.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1180133505432338432

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Otteration posted:

The judge is a Clinton appointee. He was also born in loving 1934. I swear, New York federal courts must have the oldest judges in the nation. Every time I deal with one they’re like 70+ and I have to explain websites and trade names and poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rime posted:

The writing has been on the wall for over a decade. I won a loving social studies bursary for a long outlining the imminent end of America back in 2006 FFS.

yea for a while it was kinda fringey because the corporate types didn't really want to split off from society so much as they wanted to be ABOVE society, so our inevitable Disney-Marvel-Hulu-Fox-Sony-ATT-HBO overlords don't really have any interest in carving out ~real america~ as long as America as a whole agrees to treat them as the gods they are.

These loving freaks absolutely want to cut down the tall trees and purge their cities of the undesirables and with the blending of social far right movements with rampant militarization of near every part of our life woops they're getting the means to do that!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah this is the loving problem of having major and important speech platforms in private hands. They're basically arguing that public officials are not personally allowed to deal with harassment on the platform, they have to wait for the private entity to do so on their behalf, based on ambiguous and poorly enforced criteria.

It'll be nitpicked in the courts for a while, IMO, or at least as long as Jack and the rest are in charge of the discourse.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Mantis42 posted:

Because they successfully engaged in the definitively most successful investment in impeding democracy since the Jim Crow era, it should be noted

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So the “Schiff KNEW the whole time!” angle seems to be solidifying as their primary deflection.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

the greed freaks are revealing themselves more and more to be genuinely fairly apolitical as long as they're allowed to do whatever they want (which of course is political but the nazis and such don't really mind letting the greed class do what they want as long as they don't mind being called social justice cucks any time they say 'maybe don't shout the n-word at our events guys' or whatever).

My worry is that they successfully separate themselves from the Nazis and merge with the right wing of the Democrat party after we get that left/liberal split that's been showing hints of bubbling.

The absolutely adulatory worship that the Resistance shitheads show towards the NeverTrump crowd -- even as they retain every last bit of their fiscally conservative beliefs -- is a warning sign.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely don't believe America can last as a thing, I think we're literally too big and the oppression of capitalism has done so much damage that some form of balkanization is inevitable, both sides seem to agree too considering how they talk about each other, it's really only a matter of 'when' the violent fascists we've been emboldening decide to call the technocratic class' bluff and realize they could clean up as some kind of feudal lord.

yeah, while i am the eternal optimistic(sorta) i feel like balkinazation type is alot more possible than GOP going full dictator on the country. the country is too geographically big and america is too culturally/regionally diverse for it to stay under total control. alot of the east coast and west coast would bail and all kinds of other poo poo.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Honestly? By prying religion out of the hands out the white supremacists. They have an extremely hard time getting people to pull the lever for white supremacy when it's not Jesus flavored. Religious identification is currently collapsing because young people aren't adopting Christianity like they used to with few exceptions.

People still will pull the lever for white supremacy, but the trappings of religion is the sugar coating that takes away the bitter taste. Without that, white supremacy can't remain nationally viable, especially as demographics continue to shift.

this. go on any alt right forum and see how bitter and lovely uneuphemismed White power poo poo is. its just bitter bitching and every growing murder jerk off fantasy.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

EwokEntourage posted:

The judge is a Clinton appointee. He was also born in loving 1934. I swear, New York federal courts must have the oldest judges in the nation. Every time I deal with one they’re like 70+ and I have to explain websites and trade names and poo poo

There’s a judge in one of the California district courts who’s a *Johnson* appointee

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

So the “Schiff KNEW the whole time!” angle seems to be solidifying as their primary deflection.

yea and the easiest counter remains 'ok yea, Schiff may have hosed up saying 'no one has had any contact with them' before, bad Adam, that doesn't change that almost everyone involved but you says this report is accurate.'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kavros posted:

Because they successfully engaged in the definitively most successful investment in impeding democracy since the Jim Crow era, it should be noted
I think all of those think-tanks astroturfing the Tea Party into existence had an even bigger impact, because they basically took over the GOP from the ground-up and made them into a party that will not do actual governance. They were also the ones who won most of the major races in 2010 and we're still dealing with most of those shitbags to this day

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

There’s a judge in one of the California district courts who’s a *Johnson* appointee

Andrew?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

He looks like a corpse a drunk liitle person cut into, scooped out the innards, of and has been controlling with strings and levers for ar least a year.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea and the easiest counter remains 'ok yea, Schiff may have hosed up saying 'no one has had any contact with them' before, bad Adam, that doesn't change that almost everyone involved but you says this report is accurate.'

I guess Republicans are counting on slow news day at WAPO or NYT cos there is no reason to run with their narrative when reality gets worse for Trump's administration every day. As a result his rhetoric about the media will get worse because the coverage won't improve.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

My worry is that they successfully separate themselves from the Nazis and merge with the right wing of the Democrat party after we get that left/liberal split that's been showing hints of bubbling.

The absolutely adulatory worship that the Resistance shitheads show towards the NeverTrump crowd -- even as they retain every last bit of their fiscally conservative beliefs -- is a warning sign.

i mean thats whats gonna happen at some point in the future espcially if the DNC keeps moving more leftward. but as of right now, the GOP won't even except loving obamacare, until they do that plus ditch the nazi poo poo, they won't get the center libs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/1180281042789453824

here comes another one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

look you may disagree with their rulings at time but you HAVE to respect the legal experience of judge Floating Brain In A Jar.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, while i am the eternal optimistic(sorta) i feel like balkinazation type is alot more possible than GOP going full dictator on the country. the country is too geographically big and america is too culturally/regionally diverse for it to stay under total control. alot of the east coast and west coast would bail and all kinds of other poo poo.

this. go on any alt right forum and see how bitter and lovely uneuphemismed White power poo poo is. its just bitter bitching and every growing murder jerk off fantasy.

tbh I'm still kinda an 'optimist' despite believing that. Like I think dividing America would be a positive move, I just don't really support, ya know, the bloody civil war that tends to involve.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, the problem with this is that the "feudal lord" part is going to be a simultaneous re-enactment of the Man in the High Castle and the Handmaid's Tale.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I sometimes wonder if the 2010 Tea Party backlash would have been as extreme if it were Hillary in office.

It's hard to say, because Hillary does illicit a special flavor of rabid hatred on the right. But say a hypothetical Kerry or something? I really don't think so. Because I don't think any one single "issue" on the right motivates their base enough to actually get off their asses and organize on that large of a scale unless it's tied together with racism.

I've unfortunately known a lot of CHUDs in my lifetime, and "Liberal f*ggot John Kerry raising your taxes" gets them yelling at the TV and settling on screaming about LGBTQ rights and 'Christian values'. "A n*gger named Barack Hussein Obama telling me what to do and he's gonna take your guns away" gets you MASS, mobilized, organized tribalism on the right.

They are loving garbage people.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Otteration posted:

This is super lovely of the judge, but if there's anyone in the world who can succinctly and successfully explain Twitter to an 80-year-old judge while keeping their cool, it's AOC.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1180280231338430464?s=20

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Pants Donkey posted:

They are so hosed if that's all they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

look you may disagree with their rulings at time but you HAVE to respect the legal experience of judge Floating Brain In A Jar.

tbh I'm still kinda an 'optimist' despite believing that. Like I think dividing America would be a positive move, I just don't really support, ya know, the bloody civil war that tends to involve.

i wasn't trying infer anything. i was saying that i have stupidly hopefull view.

god i love how terribly child like he is.