Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Purple Prince posted:

Well, it's been a tough couple years (I almost went bankrupt at the start of 2018), but I finally paid off all my regular loans and have 3 months of living expenses saved in an emergency fund. :toot:

Got headhunted for and am doing an interview for a new role which will boost my salary by 20-60% and could lead to a much bigger growth over the next few years.

Finally, completed a freelance project which I have credit on and IP involved in and which may become a much bigger business opportunity within a year.

Just going to chill for a bit and figure out what to do with my newfound ability to invest in stuff.

Congrats! That's a great glow up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What a great feel-good story. Congratulations. Go out and celebrate!

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

After years of being a big dumb idiot with money I finally started working on getting my poo poo together this past year and getting serious about paying down my debt. I'd tried budgeting many times and never stuck to it, but a year ago I started using YNAB seriously. Last July I owed $16,000 on a car loan and had $20,000 in CC debt. Today I've reached a net worth in the positive! Feels so good to look at this graph and I can't wait to get the last $8,000 of debt paid off over the next few months and start pumping that money into savings and investments.

:yotj:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
That is one hell of a turnaround. Congrats man!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

With effort and planning, number do go up.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Mother of god that's some rapid debt pay-off. Find some room in your budget to reward yourself, you definitely deserve it.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

Mother of god that's some rapid debt pay-off. Find some room in your budget to reward yourself, you definitely deserve it.

The biggest help and a huge dent in it was selling my car and getting rid of that loan. In February I sold my 2017 GTI and bought a 2008 Honda Element cash and have been very happy with that decision. That allowed me to start putting the money that was going into the car payment (and significantly more expensive insurance) into other debt.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A vast vast majority of people would not have done that. Making so many excuses, dream car, safer, no maintenance, etc. So great job on that and your overall trend. Can't wait to see it at $0!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Jato posted:

The biggest help and a huge dent in it was selling my car and getting rid of that loan. In February I sold my 2017 GTI and bought a 2008 Honda Element cash and have been very happy with that decision. That allowed me to start putting the money that was going into the car payment (and significantly more expensive insurance) into other debt.

That's a pro-adult move right there. Congrats.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Purple Prince posted:

Well, it's been a tough couple years (I almost went bankrupt at the start of 2018), but I finally paid off all my regular loans and have 3 months of living expenses saved in an emergency fund. :toot:

Got headhunted for and am doing an interview for a new role which will boost my salary by 20-60% and could lead to a much bigger growth over the next few years.

Finally, completed a freelance project which I have credit on and IP involved in and which may become a much bigger business opportunity within a year.

Just going to chill for a bit and figure out what to do with my newfound ability to invest in stuff.

That is an amazing turnaround. Congratulations!

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

The Experiment posted:

That is an amazing turnaround. Congratulations!

Thanks (and to everyone else with the same sentiment).

Reading BFC and watching / reading a lot of different sources on personal finance really helped me turn my attitude to saving around, from "whatever's left over" (not much!) to paying myself first.

It also gave me the courage to negotiate a raise which solved my "cannot save any money" problem.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
In April I was carrying $4000 debt on two credit cards. I'm happy to say as of this week both cards have been paid off. First time I've had no credit card debt in many years. Feels good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Big Spoon posted:

In April I was carrying $4000 debt on two credit cards. I'm happy to say as of this week both cards have been paid off. First time I've had no credit card debt in many years. Feels good

congrats, friend!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Way to go man

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
As of today's paycheck, I could officially pay off my student loans entirely :toot:

I will be waiting 4-6 weeks so I can pay it off and still have a buffer in the checking account.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

As of today's paycheck, I could officially pay off my student loans entirely :toot:

I will be waiting 4-6 weeks so I can pay it off and still have a buffer in the checking account.

Congratulations! Feels good to get that albatross off from around your neck!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

howdoesishotweb posted:

Congrats! That’s awesome!

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

howdoesishotweb posted:

Nice!! I just bumped up my monthly payment to my student loan so hopefully I'll be joining you soon.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
bad news: my car finally ate poo poo

good news: I had enough in the bank to buy a new car straight up cash because I'm fairly paranoid about unexpected expenses.

I think even with that happening I'm still on track to max my Roth IRA in January as usual. had to tighten the belt a bit to get my emergency fund back up over the next several months tho, so I pulled back the extra mortgage payments for now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

bad news: my car finally ate poo poo

good news: I had enough in the bank to buy a new car straight up cash because I'm fairly paranoid about unexpected expenses.

I think even with that happening I'm still on track to max my Roth IRA in January as usual. had to tighten the belt a bit to get my emergency fund back up over the next several months tho, so I pulled back the extra mortgage payments for now.

Congratulations on hitting a huge life emergency and not resorting to what the majority of Americans do (take on debt). It hurts now, but you’ll be stronger in the long run and in no time rebuild what you’ve saved.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

So I was just checking mint tonight and uh. I guess my wife and I deserve a guillotine now?

Its a far cry from having negative net worth after graduating college in 2008 and when we decided to get serious about getting out of debt in 2011.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You were eligible for the guillotine when your net worth exceeded $100k. You’re in pitchforks and torches peasants storming the castle territory now. A $700k+ castle, congratulations.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

You were eligible for the guillotine when your net worth exceeded $100k. You’re in pitchforks and torches peasants storming the castle territory now. A $700k+ castle, congratulations.

Not a castle, I started farming 40 acres I bought from my parents for $40,000 in 2006 when they were about to be foreclosed on when my dad lost his business, and I leased a bunch of land around me from old farmers who weren't able to farm anymore and I asked them each for first right of refusal on the sale of their land. Most wanted to sell in 2008-2009 when the recession hit, and between my wife and I we were able to buy it all for a reasonable price. (160 acres for $1000/acre.) Just in the last two years land values have more than tripled in the area that the land is in, but the mortgage that's left is the only $81k loan that is showing. My wife and I used to complain about being land rich and cash poor, but now it really feels that way.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
we might spare the guillotine if you start goontown on your huge tracts of land.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here I was thinking you had 3 bedroom condo in Toronto, but you really are a feudal lord.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

we might spare the guillotine if you start goontown on your huge tracts of land.

We couldn't make it work in Hawaii, but we can always try again!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I didn’t get the dream job I interviewed for. I had to pay some medical bills.

But I’m eating out slightly less. Billionaire status here I come.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

DJCobol posted:

We couldn't make it work in Hawaii, but we can always try again!

Come on, we all know it would just turn out as :gooncamp:

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

2.5 years ago my phone died and I was so enamored of the Google Pixel 1 that I got it on a contract at a premium. Today my phone died and I have borrowed one from work until I can replace it with either an Honor (cheap, good value) or a Fairphone 3 (more expensive, but easy to repair and more in line with my beliefs).

My savings mean I can afford to replace them in cash. I am also moving from an expensive sim only plan to a cheapo subscription based phone card.

Small win in financial terms, but a big win psychologically.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Purple Prince posted:

2.5 years ago my phone died and I was so enamored of the Google Pixel 1 that I got it on a contract at a premium. Today my phone died and I have borrowed one from work until I can replace it with either an Honor (cheap, good value) or a Fairphone 3 (more expensive, but easy to repair and more in line with my beliefs).

My savings mean I can afford to replace them in cash. I am also moving from an expensive sim only plan to a cheapo subscription based phone card.

Small win in financial terms, but a big win psychologically.

Congrats, the mental part of not having to worry about small little bumps like this can't be understated enough.

I am interviewing for a position tomorrow that would allow me to both work less and make considerably more money. Fingers crossed

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Well, the interview went great in my opinion. Won't hear back about the results for a week or two but I'm feeling pretty confident about it

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Arabian Jesus posted:

Well, the interview went great in my opinion. Won't hear back about the results for a week or two but I'm feeling pretty confident about it

Good luck! Waiting for job offers was always the most stressful part for me, so have a drink and wait for the offer to roll in!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I had a huge vet bill come out of nowhere today and I was able to meet all of the emotional and logistical challenges that went along with that because I knew in the back of my mind that I had a 5-digit emergency fund to draw from to pay the expenses; a big thanks to this subforum for providing the tools that allowed me to get there.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That’s a fantastic accomplishment my friend! I am sorry there was a situation with your pet, is everything okay?

Financial planning and saving empowers us, and I am happy you were able to focus on your pet without the worry of a financial problem. That would have been stress on top of stress.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Thank you for asking! It turned out to be complications from undiagnosed diabetes, which is not great but certainly one of the least bad options, he's at the emergency vet and there were no overnight calls so I think he's going to be fine.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

CaptainRat posted:

I had a huge vet bill come out of nowhere today and I was able to meet all of the emotional and logistical challenges that went along with that because I knew in the back of my mind that I had a 5-digit emergency fund to draw from to pay the expenses; a big thanks to this subforum for providing the tools that allowed me to get there.

Sorry to hear about your pet but glad to hear you have it covered

Update: I got the job! Pending a mountain of paperwork being approved I'll be on Easy Street in a few weeks!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Arabian Jesus posted:

Update: I got the job! Pending a mountain of paperwork being approved I'll be on Easy Street in a few weeks!

Hell yeah!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don’t have a new job but I have been disciplined with applying to at least 2 per weekend.

I know that doesn’t sound like a lot but for some reason applying to jobs takes me forever and is super exhausting. Even though it’s basically just editing a resume and cover letter to match the job descriptions.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Today is a good day. After many failed attempts at planning and budgeting and then finally getting my poo poo together over the past year - for the first time in my adult life I am debt free!

Jato fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Jato posted:

Today is a good day. After many failed attempts at planning and budgeting and then finally getting my poo poo together over the past year - for the first time in my adult life I am debt free!

congratulations! that's a huge achievement!