Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m picturing an extremely mad British quartermaster pulling his hair out when each shipment of replacement coats that manages to slip past the French and American privateers is a slightly different shade of red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I thought redcoats were adopted because red dye was cheap, just like many other early uniform decisions. I'm pretty sure the British empire has a long and proud tradition of made-by-lowest-bidder.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cloth dyeing was an imprecise art before very recent times, so even if the red was cheap, I can’t imagine it would have ever been very consistent.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

golden bubble posted:

I thought redcoats were adopted because red dye was cheap, just like many other early uniform decisions. I'm pretty sure the British empire has a long and proud tradition of made-by-lowest-bidder.

Yeah but afaik the cheap red for rank-and-file uniforms was more towards a dull brick red, not the bright red most people imagine today.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In addition to not being made to precise standards, they get sun-bleached and turned pink.

Sources: loads of wargaming dads, I wore a redcoat’s red coat for a summer for a job

Bonus fact: the armpits, chest, and lower back of your average coat probably smelled like absolute poo poo!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 5, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In addition to not being made to precise standards, they get sun-bleached and turned pink.

Sources: loads of wargaming dads, I wore a redcoat’s red coat for a summer for a job

Bonus fact: the armpits, chest, and lower back of your average coat probably smelled like absolute poo poo!

So did everything else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LingcodKilla posted:

So did everything else.

There are target points

Like if you were forced you would smell the front calf, not the sock

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 5, 2019

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Endman posted:

Cloth dyeing was an imprecise art before very recent times, so even if the red was cheap, I can’t imagine it would have ever been very consistent.

This. Also, there was significant variation in muskets at the time too-- the British Army was supplied by a shitload of small contractors building arms, and this is well before the standardization of parts so you can see some pretty wild differences from gun to gun even within the same model. This is a pretty big point of contention in re-enacting circles too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

lilljonas posted:

Yeah but afaik the cheap red for rank-and-file uniforms was more towards a dull brick red, not the bright red most people imagine today.

I see that as a bonus.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

This week's progress - three new companies done on the French army

Progress check:

The with two voltigeur companies are from Foundry and the fusilier company consisting of some of the last of my Warlord ”early French”. This means I’m getting close to five battalions, but with a big caveat: most of them lack a command!

Next up I’ll dig into my old Victrix boxes and build a ton of command bases out of them, as well as a sixth battalion. Or seventh, as I also have a host of Warlord French in greatcoats ready and primed. Might we have a brigade by Christmas? Anyway, I'm chipping away at my pile of unpainted Nappy. Soon I'll be able to fit it all in just one storage box. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok since nobody posted today I'll doublepost. Drop what you're holding and get yourself ready for your new army:

Napoleonic.
Muthafuckin.
Poles.

Just look at those czapka:

If you're not convinced, here's a blog post on your new army, the Duchy of Warsaw. Or, if you're too insecure to go all in, the Vistula Legion or 1er Régiment des chevaux-légers polonais de la Garde Impériale that you'll get for your French army. Because yes, you have a French Napoleonic army, whether you know it or not.

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/collecting-poles-aka-the-czapka-craze

Just look at those goddamn hats.

Look at it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 6, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those sure are some fancy hats!

I'm waiting for some Austrians to appear in the post, so I will post them when they've arrived and I've given myself a headache painting all that white.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I finished my first team of 28mm WW2 Italians this past weekend. A number of pictures I've seen of Italian uniforms have this very weird greyish-bluish-green color - examples:

It's a really weird color and I had tried previously to get it in a way that didn't require mixing a ton of different paints. I think I finally got it right in my most recent go round, but it's hard to photograph in a way that doesn't make it come out more blue than it is in person. Here it is in direct sunlight:

And here in less direct indoor/outdoor lighting:

And here's a close-up in indirect outdoor light:

Given how bizarre a color this is, I was pretty stoked with how well it came out and how relatively easy (no mixed colors) it ultimately turned out to be. I'm charging ahead to finish off the rest of the (enormous) platoon. I also have a anti-tank gun and MMG support crew to paint up. Thanks to fellow goon Mugginns for selling me these dudes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Those look good.

The color is called "Grigio Verde" (grey green). I mix Vallejo 830 (German Fieldgrey) and Vallejo 924 (Russian Uniform) for mine.

No, I don't have photos.

Fake edit:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Mine are a VMC Feldgrau base highlighted with VPA USMC Tank Crew. The whole thing is then washed down with Citadel Nuln Oil. Given that I do the base coat with an airbrush, they were very fast to do. Which is good, because that 40-man Italian platoon is fekkin' massive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Neither the artwork or the sculpts really do justice to the mustaches on those privates.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Those look great, Coc? Do they make a set with some dudes cooking pasta?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
After our move, I finally got room for a bigger miniatures cabinet.

IKEA sell remote control LED lights.

BEHOLD!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Super jealous of that cabinet!

Also, paint some drat moustaches on those italians, pronto! (j/k, they look nice :))

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

GASP!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hahaha, I thought about doing some moustacios. Probably will on the next batch.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Wowshawk posted:

Those look great, Coc? Do they make a set with some dudes cooking pasta?
Yeah, CoC. And if they did make some cooking pasta, you know I would be getting them for my Jump Off Points.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Maybe this, with a little conversion work?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Those look good.

The color is called "Grigio Verde" (grey green). I mix Vallejo 830 (German Fieldgrey) and Vallejo 924 (Russian Uniform) for mine.

No, I don't have photos.

Fake edit:

About this time last year I was heading to Rome for a family wedding and I was talking to my wife about wanting to get minis from a local manufacturer to do Bersaglieri because of the ridiculously Italian machismo of it all. When I mentioned the big puffy feathers she said "wait, like Captain Bertorelli?" and was suddenly on board with the project.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Their band is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huF_GOIvlJ4

c0cky30
Sep 10, 2016
CHAIN OF COMMAND DMZ VERSION 2 OUT NOW!

Check out the details here:

https://carportgaming.blogspot.com/2019/09/on-road-again.html

Endman
May 18, 2010

As promised, my first Austrian:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

That's a really nice Austrian, both the whites and black! Which paints did you use for the black?

Endman
May 18, 2010

I used some citadel paints for the black: Abaddon as a base coat, Eshin Grey as a highlight and then the same again with a bit of Administratum Grey mixed in for a final, very selective highlight on some bits like the gaiter buttons and the top rim of the shako.

I’m actually going to replace most of my citadel paints when they run out with Vallejo since they’re also available locally now and they have nice dropper bottles.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oooh, that Austrian is sweet!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

I used some citadel paints for the black: Abaddon as a base coat, Eshin Grey as a highlight and then the same again with a bit of Administratum Grey mixed in for a final, very selective highlight on some bits like the gaiter buttons and the top rim of the shako.

I’m actually going to replace most of my citadel paints when they run out with Vallejo since they’re also available locally now and they have nice dropper bottles.

Cool! I've been thinking of getting a dark grey for highlights. I mean, it works to mix black and white or grey as I do now, but it's a pain to get it relatively similar over a big batch, and it takes extra time for a colour that I consider one of the least enjoyable to paint to begin with.

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Endman posted:

As promised, my first Austrian:

Onion rating: pas d'oignon.

That Austrian dog does look quite nice, though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
In addition to my Italians, I also finished off a Warlord/Italeri Panzer IV:

This is of course another example of my obsession with magnetization, with the barrel, hatch, and extra armor all removable:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s really good! I just assembled that model and I was a little disappointed but some of it’s poor fitting.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Really? Mine fit together really well. There's a tiny gap in the angled armor plates at the front of the hull (where the hull MG comes out), but now that it's painted it's barely noticeable. Oh, I do remember that for the Schurzen the mounting brackets in the picture looked different than their numbers, so you had to be a little careful with that. But apart from that, everything seemed to go together as expected without any issues.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ilor posted:

Really? Mine fit together really well. There's a tiny gap in the angled armor plates at the front of the hull (where the hull MG comes out), but now that it's painted it's barely noticeable. Oh, I do remember that for the Schurzen the mounting brackets in the picture looked different than their numbers, so you had to be a little careful with that. But apart from that, everything seemed to go together as expected without any issues.

I made it two weeks ago but one track side was .... off and they insist on putting the tread seam in a very noticeable front view instead of on the bottom hidden away. The slight gap bothers me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

I made it two weeks ago but one track side was .... off and they insist on putting the tread seam in a very noticeable front view instead of on the bottom hidden away. The slight gap bothers me.

Is that for Flames of War?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Is that for Flames of War?

Nah the Bolt Action Panzer IV. I had to use a clamp on the hull and tread assembly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The best thing I've found for two-part treads is wrapping a rubber band longways around the whole assembly. Like you're putting a rubber snow chain on a tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got access to a lot of clamps with soft rubber parts. They work well for tanks.