Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Have a fill-in gig next week and it might be the nudge I need to buy a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal. I'm waffling between the Earthquaker Cloven Hoof, the MXR M-85 Distortion, and the Zvex Woolly Mammoth. The MXR doesn't have the "cool" factor of the other two, but it's way more versatile, it's cheaper, made with bass in mind, and I think I just answered my own question. So lemme rephrase:

Any reason to choose the Cloven Hoof or Woolly Mammoth over the MXR M-85?

edit: new page home practice setup tax

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Absolutely don't get distortion effects that aren't made for bass. The frequencies matter, and also if at all possible get one with a clean blend. That works so much better for getting the actual notes in the mix instead of just vague low frequency fuzznoise.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Carcosa is fine for bass, its not a muff and it's versatile enough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You guys got any more suggestions for relatively simple yet distinctive punk/hardcore basslines that I could practice? Nothing by Negative Approach and Rejected and Unwanted by the Casualties were pretty good for that purpose.

I looked at Young Till I Die by 7 Seconds (one of the best hardcore songs ever) when I first started out, but that one's actually pretty involved

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
I go on and off the woolly mammoth. I guess the main advantage is the amount of low end you dial in, or if you're a huge fan of synthy fuzz. I just use a boss ls-2 to make fuzz/distortion bass friendly

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

You guys got any more suggestions for relatively simple yet distinctive punk/hardcore basslines that I could practice? Nothing by Negative Approach and Rejected and Unwanted by the Casualties were pretty good for that purpose.

I looked at Young Till I Die by 7 Seconds (one of the best hardcore songs ever) when I first started out, but that one's actually pretty involved

https://youtu.be/3oee-bra2AQ

some songs are a bit slower but this whole album is great has some cool basslines. also the singer went crazy and thought he was the pope.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phlegmish posted:

Listen to 88 Fingers Louie / Rise Against and learn what sounds cool.

100 Proof is an easy song and has some cool simple chords at the beginning

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Phlegmish posted:

Look up Teen Love by No Trend

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I got my Yamaha BB234 last night, and it does not disappoint. A little too much low end for my poor little guitar amp though, so I'll be looking for a bass amp before too long.

As far as my intentions go, I'll pick up bass lines from Fender Play and spend some more time making ambient music. I'm really curious what laying down some bass lines and wandering over that might do. We shall see I guess.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 5, 2019

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Looking into learning upright after listening to nothing but 1940s jazz, psychobilly, and roots music for a month. Already sorted out instruction (FIL is an orchestral bassist with the CSO), but I’m wondering if there’s any other recommendations to start.

A bit tempted by a local selling an Eminence electric upright at an insane markdown if only for the space savings.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Ah, electric upright. All the inconvenience of electric bass (amps, cords, etc.), but with some of the added bulk of an upright. It's the worst of both worlds!

I'm only half-kidding. I think the only reason I'd ever consider an electric upright is that unless you're willing to spend at least $1000 for the cheapest playable models (maybe slightly under that on the used market), then you're out of luck. Upright bass is pricy, and I'm just talking about the lovely models.

Have you considered getting a Squier fretless P-bass, stringing it up with La Bella black nylon flat tapewounds (not the Fender ones, which are rounds with black tape on them), rolling off the tone, and giving that a try? You can get a halfway convincing tone if you play by strumming the strings with the side of your thumb and palm-muting a little.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
As an EUB owner (Azola Bugbass) I would absolutely recommend that a new player does not get an EUB until they're fairly competent on a traditional upright (at least a year of experience and regular play).

With a Symphony performer as an instructor, you have an invaluable resource for instrument hunting. I would assume they'll also tell you to get an acoustic upright to begin with.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

rent an upright

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 9, 2019

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Like I said, I was tempted by a nice EUB, but wife gave me the go-ahead to add another roommate to our house, so going around to a few local orchestral rental places with my FIL to check out their instruments and get an expert opinion on whether they’re suitable for learning.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

nitsuga posted:

I got my Yamaha BB234 last night, and it does not disappoint. A little too much low end for my poor little guitar amp though, so I'll be looking for a bass amp before too long.

As far as my intentions go, I'll pick up bass lines from Fender Play and spend some more time making ambient music. I'm really curious what laying down some bass lines and wandering over that might do. We shall see I guess.

Very nice! Is it at least serviceable through headphones, if your amp can do that?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Very nice! Is it at least serviceable through headphones, if your amp can do that?

No headphone out on my amp unfortunately. It's not horrible through the speaker, but the amp (a Super Champ X2) really starts rattling before I turn it up too loud. I am considering picking up either a Bass or AC30 Vox amPlug though. No rhythm section with the AC30, but it'd be nice to have the FX if it sounds all right with a bass.

Long run, I'm thinking about getting a bass amp with an FX loop. That way, I'm hoping I can use it as a pedal platform for my guitar as well as a proper bass amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

nitsuga posted:

No headphone out on my amp unfortunately. It's not horrible through the speaker, but the amp (a Super Champ X2) really starts rattling before I turn it up too loud. I am considering picking up either a Bass or AC30 Vox amPlug though. No rhythm section with the AC30, but it'd be nice to have the FX if it sounds all right with a bass.

Long run, I'm thinking about getting a bass amp with an FX loop. That way, I'm hoping I can use it as a pedal platform for my guitar as well as a proper bass amp.

I have the Vox Bass amPlug and it's fantastic. Highly recommended for bedroom jamming/practice.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Scarf posted:

I have the Vox Bass amPlug and it's fantastic. Highly recommended for bedroom jamming/practice.

Seconded. I just pulled my bass out of the closet a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a year or so and forgot I had one. It has been amazing for evenings when I see something on a YouTube I'm watching and want to try without fiddling with my Rumble 100. I love that it has built in little rhythm tracks you can noodle around with. Perfect for a total amateur like me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
What are your guys thoughts on buying off of reverb? I ordered something specific so I could get a colour I like and with a maple fretboard which never seems to pop up locally.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

What are your guys thoughts on buying off of reverb? I ordered something specific so I could get a colour I like and with a maple fretboard which never seems to pop up locally.

Reverb is a fine way to go. I’ve been trying to support my local shop, but sometimes it doesn’t work out. You could ask if they could order what you want though.

Thanks for the endorsements on the amPlug. I might just go check them out tomorrow.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I’m not buying new on reverb, only the finest excellent or mint quality used instruments. In this case mild belt rash on the rear lower horn on a 2 year old sting ray is half price.

I have an amplug, it’s not the best quality for sound. Regardless of headphones, whether good quality monitoring ones or 3 other pairs it sounds honestly bad to me. Sounds nothing like a practice amp and a 10” driver.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Good shout on the amplug. I was perusing Amazon to see how big a rumble 25W or something would be but an amplug would make more sense. I'm probably going to stay mainly a guitar player and I doubt people are going to like me thumping around on a bass, so that's pretty much what I need.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
For around the same price as an Amplug, you could consider a Zoom B1on. They'll both do the same job - a headphone amp with rhythm tracks and an aux in. The Zoom also has a bunch of different amp models, effects, a tuner and a looper.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool! Looks like it’s been replaced by the B1 Four, which looks even better. Any idea what a guitar would be like through one of those?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Risky Bisquick posted:

reverb is great. i have the curse of really wanting blue or green guitars with maple fretboards and found that alot of nice ones pop up on reverb every few weeks. now if i only had the cash :negative:

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

nitsuga posted:

Cool! Looks like it’s been replaced by the B1 Four, which looks even better. Any idea what a guitar would be like through one of those?
I can't speak for the newer models, but a large chunk of the effects on the B1on and G1on (the guitar version) are the same, with some of the B1on versions having an additional clean blend setting. The biggest difference is likely to be the selection of amp models - there's generally less in the way of high-gain options for bass. But since you've already got a guitar amp, it'll work fine just as a multi-fx pedal in front of that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The B1Xon and G1Xon were largely the same, effects-wise, except for amp models. And, there were more guitar-centric effects packed with the G1Xon; more flangers, phasers, etc. The B1Xon had bass synths and stuff. But there is a ton of overlap, and if there is any difference between a guitar and bass version, they add a dry/wet blend to the bass version, as has been noted.

I have both pedals. Not bad for what they are--a ton of bang for the buck. It's a lot better than what I had available when I was coming up!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s cool. It’d be a toss up between the bass and guitar version I think. Either way, I’m leaning towards one with an expression pedal. I’ve been wanting to mess around with a volume pedal for a while.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

That’s cool. It’d be a toss up between the bass and guitar version I think. Either way, I’m leaning towards one with an expression pedal. I’ve been wanting to mess around with a volume pedal for a while.

Yes! A thousand times yes. Spend the extra scratch and get the one with the expression pedal. It's not much more, you get a few extra effects, and the whammy pedal, wah, and volume pedal effects really aren't too shabby for a multi-effect unit.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol i finally learned how to do the 3 finger gallop thing and now i cant stop cruising on like 1 or 2 notes instead of being all over the place like i normally am

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yes but now you can join an Iron Maiden tribute band.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
So FedEx INTL delivered the bass in 2 days. This is a 2017 so 9v Sting Ray, so much honk :getin:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Turns out that practicing at home in addition to band practice is not only fun, but helps me learn songs. What a shocking revelation. Problem is that I don't really have a small combo at home and that makes it difficult to play along to recordings so I'm now in the market for a small practice amp. Any out there that are pretty rad and can be had on the used market for under a $100 that folks really like? I'm going into this process thinking that they'll all sound like poo poo, but maybe there's some good stuff out there.

edit: found an Acoustic B25C for $40, I should snatch that up right away, right?

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 14, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

scuz posted:

Turns out that practicing at home in addition to band practice is not only fun, but helps me learn songs. What a shocking revelation. Problem is that I don't really have a small combo at home and that makes it difficult to play along to recordings so I'm now in the market for a small practice amp. Any out there that are pretty rad and can be had on the used market for under a $100 that folks really like? I'm going into this process thinking that they'll all sound like poo poo, but maybe there's some good stuff out there.

edit: found an Acoustic B25C for $40, I should snatch that up right away, right?

I'd think for home practice the Acoustic would be just fine, and the price is definitely right. Alternatively, you might consider the Zoom B1 Four or B1X Four if you didn't mind a headphones-only solution (you could always get an amp later).

If something didn't work out with the Acoustic, I think all the big names have something decent enough, Ampeg, Fender, Eden, et cetera all seem to have something pretty cheap that you can definitely practice with.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Rented a double bass today. Starting in on an ancient copy of Simandl’s method book under the supervision of my FIL.

Already loving how my nyckelharpa bowing technique makes handling a bow make sense. Looking to do mostly pizz eventually, but drat if bowing doesn’t make hearing the notes and correcting intonation easier.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can bass amps handle a regular electric guitar? I seem to recall some discussion about this a few pages back. I ordered myself a little Epiphone to learn on and I want to know if it's safe to run it through my Ampeg BA210. I know the other way around (bass into guitar amp) can be dangerous, but is it bad to run a guitar into a bass amp?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It might not sound great depending on how the amp/speaker are voiced but it'll work just fine. A lot of classic guitar amps were intended to be bass amps.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Can bass amps handle a regular electric guitar? I seem to recall some discussion about this a few pages back. I ordered myself a little Epiphone to learn on and I want to know if it's safe to run it through my Ampeg BA210. I know the other way around (bass into guitar amp) can be dangerous, but is it bad to run a guitar into a bass amp?

I have a roland cube 30 bass amp that i use for practice, and my guitar sounds awesome through it, even on the higher frets.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

If the cabinet has a tweeter that can be turned off do it, otherwise it’s gonna sound pretty shrill when using overdrive/distortion. Otherwise you should be fine, but you’ll probably want to pick up some kind of guitar preamp pedal to help out the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Alternatively get a Big Muff and turn the bass knob all the way up.