Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Does anyone have experience with the various Moissanite companies? I know Charles & Colvard recently lost the patent so a bunch of competition has sprouted up but what’s the quality like for these others?

The main worry my fiancée has if she goes with a moissanite is if she gets a stone that has a slight gray or blue tint.

I have a C&C Forever One and it definitely falls in the D-F range. Helzberg Diamonds sells the F1 Moissanite and the store I went to had a small selection of rings. I would have preferred a non-chain store, but my partner wanted to get ring shopping over in one day and it happened to be a Sunday afternoon that I broke my placeholder ring and we decided to get it over with. If she's concerned about color, I'd suggest trying to find a brick and mortar store that sells it and seeing it in person, because I was pretty set on moissanite but was afraid to commit without ever seeing moissanite in person. I didn't like how bling-y Helzberg's moissanite collection was, so they ended up making a simple 7x5mm oval solitaire setting for me for a relatively reasonable price.

Keeping the stone at 2ct or under is a good idea because I've heard the larger stones have a tendency to look more gray than smaller ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How late is too late for a wedding to start if ceremony and reception are in the same venue

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

How late is too late for a wedding to start if ceremony and reception are in the same venue

Depends on when you're doing photos, if you're taking any time post ceremony-pre cocktail hour to yourselves, what the food situation is, etc.

If you did food before the ceremony as guests arrived you could probably get away with starting later. Otherwise would say you couldn't start later than 5 or so because by the time you finish the ceremony if you start at 6 people are going to be starving, fill up on cocktail hour, and dinner would be pretty late.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hmm, okay. This venue is saying that because they have daytime events they will not be able to host a rental earlier than 5pm, and I don't yet know if setup time will cut into that as well. I don't want my guests to starve! I guess I'll have to see. Thanks!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well this is annoying. The priest needs the baptismal certificate, my mother can't find it, the church can only send a copy of the baptismal registry page where I'm listed and apparently the church is really weird about needing it. Like he doesn't seem to care that I'm non practicing, doesn't expect me to come to mass or convert, but BY GOD we must have the baptismal cert. It's getting to the point where my mother says we might need to tell him it must have been lost in That Terrible Fire. I don't care about having a Catholic wedding but fiance's family does and also the wedding is in 2 months and I'm not sure I could find another venue. On the bonus side I learned today that the ELCA archival staff is fantastic and there are zero hold times.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I mean, it's not a legal document. I'm guessing someone could Photoshop and print you one pretty easy.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Jewish weddings frequently start super late on Saturdays because of the whole Shabbat thing. I definitely have been to several that didn’t serve dinner until 8 or even 9 pm. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Scathach posted:

I mean, it's not a legal document. I'm guessing someone could Photoshop and print you one pretty easy.

I like the fire idea but this may be less sotcom-y

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Well this is annoying. The priest needs the baptismal certificate, my mother can't find it, the church can only send a copy of the baptismal registry page where I'm listed and apparently the church is really weird about needing it. Like he doesn't seem to care that I'm non practicing, doesn't expect me to come to mass or convert, but BY GOD we must have the baptismal cert. It's getting to the point where my mother says we might need to tell him it must have been lost in That Terrible Fire. I don't care about having a Catholic wedding but fiance's family does and also the wedding is in 2 months and I'm not sure I could find another venue. On the bonus side I learned today that the ELCA archival staff is fantastic and there are zero hold times.

As a person that works for a diocese, reach out to the local diocese offices if you can. They have these records and likely can reproduce the certificate for you.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hmm, okay. This venue is saying that because they have daytime events they will not be able to host a rental earlier than 5pm, and I don't yet know if setup time will cut into that as well. I don't want my guests to starve! I guess I'll have to see. Thanks!

Our venue couldn't let us start setting up until 5:00, so we had a cocktail hour starting at 5:30, and had a 6:30 ceremony, and then dinner was served at around 7:30. There was no problem with those times, or guests filling up on food early. The guests knew that dinner would be on the later side, of course, so they could eat a bit beforehand if they felt they needed to, and we brought some food for everyone when we were taking photos with the family in the afternoon. Things might be different if you are planning for a longer ceremony, of course (ours was only about 20 minutes, and started a bit late, of course), and we also had almost no children among our guests.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

couldcareless posted:

As a person that works for a diocese, reach out to the local diocese offices if you can. They have these records and likely can reproduce the certificate for you.

I'm not sure that Lutherans have diocese, but I'll talk to the church again and see what they can do

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Wedding professional here: how long can you go? The majority of the weddings I play are 6 hour events from ceremony start to last song. I wish I had an extra hour tonight as it was a fun as hell crowd but the venue is a strict 10pm stop. They have have to observe sound ordinances.

I can whip up a sample timeline if anyone wants it. I’m entertainment so aim to keep things moving along and people engaged but not getting their asses kicked at the reception. It’s all subject to change based on floorplanning, time of the year, wants/needs, etc.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks everyone! We ended up booking a date a month later than we wanted, but we are now able to start as early in the day as we want :) that sample time line would be appreciated anyway though

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Our ceremony and reception were at the same place. Our timeline looked like this:

13:40 - Tuk tuk pick up from hotel

14:00 - Guests arrive

14:20 - We arrive

14:35 - Ceremony starts

15:15 - Post-ceremony photos

15:40 - Brewery tour with wedding party

17:00 - Food

17:45 - Speeches

18:30 - End of speeches

19:30 - Golden hour photos

20:00 - First dance

23:00 - Carriages

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our reception and ceremony were in the same place too. Here's our redacted timeline that went out to the wedding party + additional important parties

Wedding Party and Special Roles

Bridesmaids: 
Groomsmen: 
Officiant:
Greeters: 
Saxophone during ceremony: 
Train arrival bell:
Dance performances: 

Day before the wedding:

Event: Wedding Rehearsal
When: Thursday 2pm (sharp!)

Who: 

Event: Grooms Dinner/Rehearsal Dinner
When: Thursday 6:30pm

Wedding Day:

Event: Bridal Party Hair and Makeup
When: 9am-1pm

Event: Groomsmen Hangout
When: 10am-1pm

Event: Women's wedding party
When: Friday 2pm

Event: Men's wedding party
When: Friday 2:15pm

Event: Immediate family’s arrival
When: Friday 2:30pm

Event: Shuttle from Tollhouse to Venue
When: Friday 3:00pm

Event: Main Guest Arrival at venue (attention greeters)
When: 3:30pm

Event: Ceremony
When: 4:00pm

Event: Post ceremony pictures
When: 4:30pm – 5:15pm

Event: Cocktail Hour:
When: 4:30pm – 6:15pm

Event: Bridal Party Entrance to Cocktail Hour
When: 5:15pm

Event: Dinner Grand Entrance
When: Invite at 6:15pm

Event: First set of speeches/toasts
When: 6:25pm, 6:40pm

Event: Main course is served!
When: 6:55pm

Event: Second set of speeches/toasts
When: 7:15

Event: SUNSET
When: 7:54pm
Who: The sun
Where: The sky
What: It will get cold pretty quick after the sun sets, the goal is to get speeches done by 7:45 so that people can get in the barn for the next event.

Event: First Dance
When: 7:55

Event: Father/Daughter Dance
When: 8:00pm

Event: Mother/Son Dance

Event: Dance Performance #1
Event: Dance Performance #2

Event: Open Dancing
Who: Everyone

Event: Cake, Bouquet toss & Garter toss, Open Dancing, Last Dance

Event: GRAND EXIT
Who: Wedding Party
When: 9:40pm

Event: End
When: 9:45
Who: Everybody
What: Music off, lights on.

Event: Shuttles take guests back to
When: 9:45pm
Who: Everybody

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 8, 2019

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well the future in laws rescinded their offer of paying for the stationary which would have been ok (they're in a pinch because the other son's gf is pregnant and won't get paid during maternity leave and so they're loaning 5k to them) except that they didn't actually tell us until we mentioned getting reimbursed for the invites we had just ordered. Two months before the wedding. Would have been really nice to have been able to put this poo poo in the budget. gently caress. Guess we'll just have to take it out of the honeymoon fund.

Edit: these timelines are great btw super helpful

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 8, 2019

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
I recently got engaged, and I have an idea for a wedding ring, but I don't know of my idea is even possible, or what it might cost.

I want to get a gemstone cut into the shape of a 20 sided die and affixed to a ring. I have found on etsy a design that I think is nice, though it is clearly a piece of costume jewellery (though I am not hating on costume jewellery).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/685193394/tiny-metal-d20-ring?ref=yr_purchases

Effectively, I want to do something similar to that, but with something nicer than metal for the die, and with a sturdier construction. A diamond (lab grown, cz, or alternative) or sapphire is what I'm thinking, but I am just starting this project, and am open to suggestion.

Right now, this is just an idea that I'm not sure is even feasible, so I'm hoping for some
guidance and understanding on what it might cost, and where to start my search.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 26, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://offbeatbride.com/d20-engagement-ring/

That is as close as I could find to a d20 ring, that Etsy link is broken but I’m assuming you want it looking close to the one in this link. Going the custom route is probably your best bet, it’s probably cheaper than you’re expecting. Depends on how d20 you really want to go, I don’t know how recognizable that shape would be when it’s that small, especially with something that lets light through it. A diamond in that shape wouldn’t look like a d20 because they light would bounce around in it. Unless you want to etch the numbers into it too I suppose.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

I have updated the link, so I hope it works. I definitely appreciate the feedback, and that ring is more wildly different than what I was thinking.

That is a valid point about the diamond, and while it would be really cool to etch numbers on the stone, I think the shape is more important.

Do you have any recommendations on where to look for getting that custom made? Also, any recommendations on which stone would work well with that shape would be appreciated.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Imasalmon posted:

I have updated the link, so I hope it works. I definitely appreciate the feedback, and that ring is more wildly different than what I was thinking.

That is a valid point about the diamond, and while it would be really cool to etch numbers on the stone, I think the shape is more important.

Do you have any recommendations on where to look for getting that custom made? Also, any recommendations on which stone would work well with that shape would be appreciated.

I do custom gemcutting (primarily sapphires) as well as goldsmithing, it would be pretty tough to get the numbers into the stone regardless of what type it is. Laser engraving is an option but I've never heard of custom engraving on a stone of that size (mostly it's ID numbers on the girdle of the stone). There are a few things to consider with this idea. Do you want the stone to be a full D20? Or do you want it to be half of the D20 on top of the ring? The former can be set like a traditional stone, but the latter is going to need something to hold the stone in place.

Wearability wise, you should go sapphire or diamond. Spinel might work too, but it's going to be sticking up high enough off the ring that it will come in contact with a lot of things on a daily basis, which will wear on it over time. Even a sapphire will show wear eventually, especially if the stone is a full D20. Diamond would hold up better, but custom cutting of a diamond is a whole thing in itself.

Price wise the full D20 is going to be considerably more expensive, unless you pick a material other than diamond or sapphire. You could pick other gem materials but expect to get them replaced or re cut eventually from all the wear.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I do custom gemcutting (primarily sapphires) as well as goldsmithing, it would be pretty tough to get the numbers into the stone regardless of what type it is. Laser engraving is an option but I've never heard of custom engraving on a stone of that size (mostly it's ID numbers on the girdle of the stone). There are a few things to consider with this idea. Do you want the stone to be a full D20? Or do you want it to be half of the D20 on top of the ring? The former can be set like a traditional stone, but the latter is going to need something to hold the stone in place.

Wearability wise, you should go sapphire or diamond. Spinel might work too, but it's going to be sticking up high enough off the ring that it will come in contact with a lot of things on a daily basis, which will wear on it over time. Even a sapphire will show wear eventually, especially if the stone is a full D20. Diamond would hold up better, but custom cutting of a diamond is a whole thing in itself.

Price wise the full D20 is going to be considerably more expensive, unless you pick a material other than diamond or sapphire. You could pick other gem materials but expect to get them replaced or re cut eventually from all the wear.

Is custom moissanite a thing that would work here?

Found this site https://www.moissanitebridal.com/how-to-design-a-custom-moissanite-engagemen

Dunno how reputable they are but maybe they can help you out.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 27, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So we've found what looks like our dream venue, but it has lock-in on the caterers. We've reached out to the caterers for quotes, and they're universally at least twice our budget.

Is paying the waitstaff for a 9.5 hour day standard? Do we pay for this even if the wedding is shorter?
Is it kosher to ask for fewer waitstaff/worse food?/etc to bring the cost down?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Bored As gently caress posted:

Found this site https://www.moissanitebridal.com/how-to-design-a-custom-moissanite-engagemen

Yes custom moissanite would be a potential option. Moissanite is nice and hard at a 9.5 Moh's but does suffer from some chipping issues, so the wear still applies. Would stay nicer for longer though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

So we've found what looks like our dream venue, but it has lock-in on the caterers. We've reached out to the caterers for quotes, and they're universally at least twice our budget.

Is paying the waitstaff for a 9.5 hour day standard? Do we pay for this even if the wedding is shorter?
Is it kosher to ask for fewer waitstaff/worse food?/etc to bring the cost down?

Keep in mind the caterer shows up 1.5 hours before, unloads, sets up, does catering things, then does 1.5 hours tear down, loading up the truck, that's 3 hours of "unseen" work, plus they need two short and one long paid break, 4 hours right there.

Having to choose from a list of approved vendors felt like a huge scam to me at first. But our venue was huge and any new vendors need training/orientation etc. A new vendor at a new-to-them site is going to have a lot of weird problems, compared to a vendor that's doing 2 events a month at that venue. That's how guests end up getting cold main entrees at dinner and warm beer. An experienced caterer is going to know the venue, how to time things correctly and have a good working relationship with the venue staff to get things done on time.

Rates are always negotiable, especially if you have a Friday or Sunday wedding, that's free/extra revenue for them. We managed to negotiate, cumulatively for the entire wedding about a 30% discount by being off season (early May) and on a Friday. They're definitely going to be booked for a Saturday in June, so I wouldn't expect more than 10% off if at all

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

TheKevman posted:

So the missus and I finally hammered down our plan. We've been together for 7 years now and I proposed July 2017...and then promptly tore my rotator cuff and labrum and had to have a few centimeters of my clavicle shaved down.

Working in a job that requires full shoulder motion, I was out of work for about a year while the compound injury healed and I went through some crazy rehab, all the while not working and living off savings + disability.

So we put off our wedding and are finally pulling the trigger this October for a Halloween themed wedding which she's wanted since the beginning.

I think the delay has been an absolute blessing in disguise, though. Since I proposed, we've gone to quite a few weddings including her brothers...which ended up being about $50k by the time it was said and done so her bridezilla sister in law could have "her dream day". The fine print? She literally cashed out every dime of her 401k in order to pay for half of it. The groom used the proceeds of a lawsuit that he hadn't withheld taxes on, so guess what couple had an amazing tax season a few weeks ago?

We also went to a friends wedding that cost around 25k and they financed most of it on multiple credit cards.

Time and again we've heard of our friends taking on debt to host a wedding...and while we had no intention of doing this, our position has only been solidified since.

Originally, *she* wanted to have an elaborate ceremony and wanted something in the range of 15k after I started pricing it out...then the honeymoon. Being an avid traveler, she wanted a month long honeymoon (heh) on top of the wedding.

I had to be the bad cop, but luckily these weddings put things in perspective. Her brother and his new wife? By the time the dust had settled, they ended up going to Hawaii but could only afford the Disney Aulani for 3 nights, staying in like a motel 6 or something for the other few. Realistically, they should have stayed in the motel 6 the entire time, because they couldn't afford any of this, but I'm almost certain his parents bit the bullet and paid for them to at least have it for a bit.

SO, after hours and hours of discussion and planning, we've simplified and streamlined and finalized, and we've got a pretty sweet set up.

We're doing a very small ceremony in Reno (~45 people will likely RSVP, 60 total invited) and we've secured a good room rate at a nice hotel that's close to all the action for our friends and family (realistic walking distance to the restaurant and the ceremony place). We're taking everyone that shows up out to a prefix dinner at a really nice restaurant and then doing the Reno Zombie Crawl later with all of our friends and family that want to go.

Originally, the missus had wanted an elaborately themed wedding ceremony with all kinds of Halloween decorations- the zombie crawl gives her this and we don't even have to pay for it, aside from the bracelets for everyone that wants to go.

All in all:

Ceremony: $650 (1 hour with an altar and chair set up- my uncle wants to be the official which is pretty bad rear end because I didn't even know he did this until last Christmas when he told us)
Dinner: $4200 ($75/head x 45 + tax and service charge)
Bracelets for the ~25 that will actually go out on the crawl: $250
Suite: $450

Total: $5550

Hair and makeup are being covered by her MoH, but nothing too fancy that she doesn't already have. And there's no dress, we're keeping it super casual with me in a shirt and tie and her in a dress that she's already got but rarely wears. Friends and family just a collared shirt/nice jeans or slacks is all we're asking.

We're not counting on any help from either family (though my parents have volunteered support and I think want to pay for the dinner) and her parents are asleep at the wheel and haven't offered a dime because they support her deadbeat sister and her deadbeat brother.

We're also going to be asking for people to contribute to our honey fund instead of gifts, since we've basically got everything we need and don't really want/need presents. This is completely optional, but we do have a ton of generous friends and family, so I think there will be some donations for sure.

The honeymoon is 3 weeks in Australia and NZ including a 2 week cruise through the Fjords and a bunch of other awesome locations. The total price for this with tax, R/T flights, and the cruise + hotel for 6 nights comes to $7.2k, which includes a few thousand in spending cash. Of note: on the 4 cruises we've taken together, I've paid for at a minimum half of them through winnings from Texas Holdem onboard the ship. As a semi-professional player, I'll dedicate a few nights during the at sea days to this and almost certainly show a significant profit (I paid for our week long Alaska cruise + expenses + $110 left over a few years back which was rad).

Grand total: ~$12,750 and I'm thinking there's a good chance between my parents and gifts we might recoup roughly half of that if not more.

We've budgeted for our wedding and honeymoon as if we're paying for it 100%, and we're going to come out of this having financed exactly zero $ of it. She is thrilled with the zombie crawl and honeymoon, I'm thrilled with the prospect of not making terrible financial decisions and taking a sick honeymoon over a back-breaking expensive wedding, meaning that our savings account for buying a house continues to grow, quickly.

The brother/sister-in-law's 50k wedding was nice, sure. But they're financially hosed now, HARD. They're terrible with money to begin with, but the brother got a windfall of $200k from selling a condo his dad helped him to buy and now 4 after selling (they got married last summer, solid his condo in 2015) has literally nothing to show for it. New cars, tons of trips, paying off her debt, paying penalties from early withdrawl on a loving CD...they were going to put a down payment on a new condo to move in to together, but now they have nothing. And debt. Oh, and they idiotically registered for like 3 different everythings, so they got 3 different popcorn makers, 3 different toasters, etc. I kid you not, the fuckers have a STORAGE UNIT that they still pay ~$95 a month for that they have now filled about 75% of with wedding gifts.

For a year.

The friends are making $500 chunk monthly payments on their 25k wedding at something like 15% interest. Hurtful.

The lesson and moral of the story here is don't be stupid with weddings. It's really easy to gently caress yourself.

Wedding recap:

Stuck to some of the stuff, but a lot changed (surprise!)

A few things we didn't think of nearly enough in terms of extra expenses (bolded) along with final expenses on the other stuff:

-Photography (holy poo poo!) ~$4,400 after it's all said and done (we got 5 of the really nice leather-bound photo books for parents, my best friends mom, and ourselves)
-Dress alterations (done at the last second so we paid through the nose- she ordered her dress(es) from China and they got delayed in shipping and we only had a narrow time-frame) ~$550
-My suit (wasn't going to be originally a suit, but ended up doing it) $500
-Decorations it was pretty DIY so I feel like we saved overall and we got these awesome Boutonnieres and Boquets from this Etsy store that are preserved and made out of wood so they last forever, loving sweet (website here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodlandFlowerCo). Also got some sweet lanterns for the centerpieces at Michael's crafts, some candelabras and LED candles online, an aisle runner with the quote "Even Death Can't Keep Us Apart" embossed on to it, and a bunch of other good stuff, ~$1,000 overall
-Dinner ended up being $80/person x 39 (we live in Northern California and a few couples backed out because of the fires and the power outages) $3,300 + $300 additional gratuity because they were AWESOME
-Ceremony ended up being $900, still a hell of a deal for what they did for us
-Room was amazingly reasonable, they upgraded us to a 900sq ft suite with a monster soaking tub and charged us for Friday and Saturday night only, we were there Thurs-Mon. Total cost was $392
-Zombie Crawl Cups we ended up buying for 40, at $10 each on a pre-purchase deal, $400

The grand total for just the wedding ended up being just shy of $12,000, with a huge chunk of that being the photography. The pretentiousness of the photographers we spoke to prior to picking our guy was unreal. A few quoted us at 3,500...just to take the pictures. Then, in order to have pictures printed, we'd be looking at another 2-3k. One wouldn't even allow us to purchase a digital archive of the images for our own use because she "didn't believe in digital photography." Go gently caress yourself.

We finally settled on a guy that we found through a recommendation from another photographer that we liked but was unavailable on the weekend. The guy we went with was phenomenal and while the photography was very expensive, he was reasonable compared to all the other quotes we had (About 9 hours of photography, a digital archive also on a USB thumb drive, 5 wedding albums printed out, $300 in print credit, etc). We couldn't have been happier with his service, but final impressions clearly have to wait until we get the results.

The initial budget I projected (~$5500) would have been pretty close had we not decided to get fancy down the home stretch. The photography was something I hadn't really contemplated- I figured we'd hire someone from a local college or something and pay them $1,000 or so and do our own printing/book stuff, but I'm pretty glad we went with a pro. The dress alterations and my suit added a hidden $1,100, and the $1,000 in decorations that we hadn't initially discussed added up quickly.

Overall, though, for a destination wedding of 45 people that went off without a hitch and lasted 4 days (instead of one, like almost all other weddings) and was absolutely a loving phenomenal time (15 or so people said they want to repeat next year for the zombie crawl weekend and make it a tradition because they had so much fun) I think we did really well.

My parents ended up kicking down about half the total expenses of the wedding and hers kicked down just a little less. We ended up footing about $1500-$2000 in total expenses, and received about $9,000 in total contributions to our honeyfund, meaning we're only on the hook for about $3,500-$4,000 for our wedding and 3 week honeymoon through Australia and New Zealand.

I'm more than ok with that :)

List of recommendations (especially if you're thinking about getting married in Reno, NV)

-Silver Legacy Hotel
Seriously. I usually only stay at GSR, Atlantis, or Peppermill, and this was legitimately the first time we've stayed there. The level of hospitality was sensational. They took SUCH good care of us, my parents, and her parents. Complimentary champs sent to each of our room upon arrival, room service and any sort of alcohol delivery were 20 minutes or less every single time (after being told 30 or less) and the prices were so reasonable. Highly recommended as someone that works in service and has worked in 2 hotels.

-Harrah's Steak House
Honestly one of the best dinners we've ever had. The service was next level, as we've come to expect from the times we've been there. The table captains made sure that our head table had each course 5 minutes prior to the rest of the tables, but once they began service every single table got their stuff all at the same time. It was truly an amazing dinner, and they made us a custom zombie cake with blood spatter frosting as a free substitute for the desert option on the prefix menu. 5/5 would and will return.

-Zombie Crawl
Other than the felonies that took place past 2 am, an absolute blast. We all had a great time.

Taking off November 12th for the honeymoon, glad we have a gap in between. I don't know how people do the wedding and then leave the next day for the honeymoon. Insane.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve been informed that if we skip the first dance we will both be immediately disowned from our respective mothers and presumably written out of wills so it looks like we’ll have to suffer through it

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Ive heard from gemcutters that getting their hands on moissanite is actually really tough and that it cuts kind of weirdly. If you're super married to that idea I'd suggest getting into contact with facetors directly (like Claes!) for the gem and then getting a ring custom made from a jeweler. I wouldn't expect any "big" retailers to be able to do it tbh

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Thumbtacks posted:

I’ve been informed that if we skip the first dance we will both be immediately disowned from our respective mothers and presumably written out of wills so it looks like we’ll have to suffer through it

Just pick an incredibly ridiculous song to dance to. No one can argue with you, it's yalls song.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

couldcareless posted:

Just pick an incredibly ridiculous song to dance to. No one can argue with you, it's yalls song.

“Love and Marriage” seems like a good way to beat your crowd over the head with it.

My clients look universally relieved when I offer to fade all special dances at 2/2.5 minutes in. Most couples don’t want to do any special dances (usually), but it does make for good photography. If your DJ/band is running effect lighting during the special dances feel free to punch them in the face.

On vacation. I’ll put up my purported timeline of events once I’m back home.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Xun posted:

Ive heard from gemcutters that getting their hands on moissanite is actually really tough and that it cuts kind of weirdly. If you're super married to that idea I'd suggest getting into contact with facetors directly (like Claes!) for the gem and then getting a ring custom made from a jeweler. I wouldn't expect any "big" retailers to be able to do it tbh

You are correct! Moissanite is a bit weird to find and when cut can change colour, either because the moissy has been treated or the heat from cutting causes a bit of a change. They can be turned back to white, but I have never done this process.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

My fiance tried to pull this poo poo, that suit better be custom made and baller as gently caress and also not a line item in the budget

Oh it passes all these tests

Got married, was great, suit looked great and I've already worn it again to another event so :woop:

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

We told people our first dance was whatever came first on the playlist we downloaded. "When Doves Cry" was not your typical first dance song but people liked it.

*"Fight the Power" didn't come on till later in the playlist.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 9, 2019

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

black.lion posted:

Oh it passes all these tests

Got married, was great, suit looked great and I've already worn it again to another event so :woop:

Congrats! Hope you're enjoying being done with wedding stuff!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Any thoughts on how many days we should take off immediately before or after the wedding? Getting married on a saturday in march at a place maybe 2 miles from where we live. We are definitely taikng off the Friday before for setup, but besides that I dont think there is any time we need to take off for?

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 11, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nesbit37 posted:

Any thoughts on how many days we should take off immediately before or after the wedding? Getting married on a saturday in march at a place maybe 2 miles from where we live. We are definitely taikng off the Friday before for setup, but besides that I dont think there is any time we need to take off for?

I would recommend an extra day beforehand as well as the Monday off, but that's me, it wasn't a lot of stress but the last minute stuff and the event itself wore me the gently caress out.

Plus it will be nice to hang as a married couple for a day or two afterwards and just relax.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, I'm torn on the time thing. Trying to save as many vacation and personal days as possible. Well, save isn't right, more like spend them elsewhere. I'm already starting to resent the wedding, and I don't want it to suck any more time from other things than it has to.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
We got married on the Friday and took off both Wednesday and Thursday, but we also had a travel day on the Thursday because our wedding was far away. We then enjoyed a relaxed weekend before going back to work on the Monday and it felt like enough time. If you don't need to travel very far I think taking just one day off before would be fine, and possibly one day after just so you can chill for a bit. We were both really tired for the day after the wedding and spent most of it sitting around in silence (bliss after a busy run-up and a busy day-of!)

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

Depends how diy it is. If you have decorations to finish making or a lot of stuff to pick up you will need more days. If there's not that much diy stuff, a day or two should be fine. Also if anyone's getting hair done, nails done, eyelashes done etc. it all adds up to more time that needs to be slotted in somewhere.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You're definitely gonna want to take off at least two days before, two days after. poo poo isn't gonna get done and then it's on you to do it before the wedding, then after the wedding (like, 60 minutes or less) people just evaporate and anything that needs cleaning up is on you. Plus you need some mental/emotional rest days. I'm an engineer and didn't buy into this, but definitely glad we took the week after the wedding off.

Generally your boss will either give you an extra day to for free or let you take a couple days off without pay, look in to it. Worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks for the advice but I'm not going to take that much time off. I was just in germany two weeks to exhibit at a major show (for myself, not work) and just went back to work the day after I flew back despite knowing it would be hell because of trying to conserve vacation days. Also, no one at work knows I'm getting married, and large universities arent known for just tossing out bonus vacation days or time without pay.

I'm thinking I may see if I can telecommute on monday or something in case we need to finish up getting stuff out of the venue (they let us do final pickup and stuff then) but am thinking that may be it. I would love to take more time, but this just isnt something I want to spend more time than I have to on. Prep for it has been a big enough suck as it is.