Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:horse: "YOU'LL GET THE CHAIR, PIPPI!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm late to the discussion here but I still have a soft spot for Buffy and Angel the series but I also have to say I appreciate how the WHM crew have different opinions on all that without being mean to each other about it. :)

I think Eric really does live the "it's okay to like" philosophy, which IMO the world needs way more of.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I have a friend who read the Pippi Longstocking books when she was younger and I showed her the episode, and she thought it was funny that WHM's version was a horse abuser because in the book she defend a horse from an owner that's being cruel to it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think Eric really does live the "it's okay to like" philosophy, which IMO the world needs way more of.

I forget what movie I was listening to back in the archives, but it showed up back then too.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Angry_Ed posted:

SHES PULLING A BURN!! THIS ISN’T HER FIRST TIME!

I wonder who they’ll get to play Head Girl. You know what that means

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Huge fan of the 180 they took over Shudder now that they’re a sponsor. Glad they’re raking that good good ad money though

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Angry_Ed posted:

Poor Freckles. Saw Pippi and died.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I keep updating my Patreon I NEED THAT SHINING EPISODE.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigglesSWE posted:

It doesn't tend to show up in mine until Friday, sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the evening, but :same: since I'm picking up the UHD this weekend.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Heck yeah, F13 reboot getting a bit of love.

I've always dug the reboot, personally. As you mentioned, I liked the different aspect of Jason than the more standard depiction, and I thought it was a bit stronger for it. Like, the guys said they wished there was more of an 80s veneer to the thing, but I think that would be counterproductive: making things an 80s throwback hardly feel like traits anymore, they feel like cliches that you roll your eyes over.

(And sure, it's a dead titty shot, but the idea of Jason killing someone and basically getting his machette stuck in someone and being unable to pull it out is lowkey funny to me)

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I personally have no issues with Jason using a bow and arrow. I guess it's weird for Jason to use projectiles, but he did use a speargun in Part 3. Makes sense he knows how to use a bow - he went to camp!

The only thing that could have made it better was if Jason did a Kevin McCalister "YES" fist pump

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BigglesSWE posted:

Literally 'just' got posted.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is the audio messed up for anyone else? I’ve tried two apps and it’s all garbled every few seconds.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Why wasn't the spooktacular theme reversed???

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I must have as disgusting a mind as Chris does because I thought about the bologna again too when they started talking about Jason grabbing the mask off the ground

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The Shining is one of my favorite movies and hearing them talking about it is such a good time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/supremedreams_1/status/1179489869116121088?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigglesSWE posted:

The Shining is one of my favorite movies and hearing them talking about it is such a good time.

I just picked up the UHD last night, now I'm trying to decide if I should rewatch it before or after listening to the episode :ohdear:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm loving how their Tony voice just completely morphs into Huey, Dewey & Louie.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Lemon posted:

I'm loving how their Tony voice just completely morphs into Huey, Dewey & Louie.

I’m glad someone else noticed.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Count me as someone who ALSO didn't notice that the bear suit guy has an rear end flap until this most recent viewing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This might be :tinfoil: of me but I always thought the "This movie is actually about the genocide of the Native Americans" guy in Room 237 was getting at something.

Like there's just enough weird lingering Native American references in the movie, from the Native-American inspired decor of the Overlook to Jack Torrance randomly bringing up the white man's burden that I can't completely dismiss it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's memories of the actual film were warped by much more frequent viewing of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror segment.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Count me as someone who ALSO didn't notice that the bear suit guy has an rear end flap until this most recent viewing.

I think it's supposed to be a dog suit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

This might be :tinfoil: of me but I always thought the "This movie is actually about the genocide of the Native Americans" guy in Room 237 was getting at something.

Like there's just enough weird lingering Native American references in the movie, from the Native-American inspired decor of the Overlook to Jack Torrance randomly bringing up the white man's burden that I can't completely dismiss it.

As Cabin said, it’s a dense movie with a lot of stuff to pick up. I personally think there’s a lot of truth into the Native-American stuff; there’s enough of it to make it meaningful to think about, and I don’t think Kubrick would throw in random Native-American stuff just for the “ancient burial ground” cliche.

There are other theories that are batshit insane but the Native-American stuff absolutely checks out.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Not even 8 minutes into the episode and I can't get the drat "and hire Stanley Kuuuuuubriiiick" song out of my head.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think it's supposed to be a dog suit.

I THOUGHT it was a dog suit but the guys kept saying bear suit so I second guessed myself.

I read the book about a decade or so ago and iirc in the book there was a famous party at the Overlook where a mob boss attended and his top guy wore a dog suit as a novelty party thing, but the movie cuts out the explanation for that and just leaves the weird image. If I recall the lady in 237 also has a backstory in the book.

Maybe it's in that miniseries I will never watch, along with the boiler being relevant.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

I THOUGHT it was a dog suit but the guys kept saying bear suit so I second guessed myself.

I read the book about a decade or so ago and iirc in the book there was a famous party at the Overlook where a mob boss attended and his top guy wore a dog suit as a novelty party thing, but the movie cuts out the explanation for that and just leaves the weird image. If I recall the lady in 237 also has a backstory in the book.

Maybe it's in that miniseries I will never watch, along with the boiler being relevant.

I finished the book last week and you're pretty much right-the boss had a fling with the guy but wasn't interested past that, unlike the dog guy. The lady in 237/217 shacked up with younger guys until dying in the room and ghosting out pretty soon before the book starts

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is the thing with Steve and cut/uncut sandwiches in The Shining episode a callback to something? It sounded like it but I don't recall.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Was Eric ALWAYS this horny????

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Was Eric ALWAYS this horny????

There was a period of time where the only joke he had was "how does this cartoon creature gently caress", so the truth is that Eric is in fact hornier than this and is just holding back.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yeah, I mean Cabin's read get's to the heart of it.

I've always found it weird how people treat is an out there theory when Jack literally cites white man's burden and is convinced to start killing people of the threat that a black guy is going to enter his house.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

clown shoes posted:

Is the thing with Steve and cut/uncut sandwiches in The Shining episode a callback to something? It sounded like it but I don't recall.

It was. Something in their July/August episodes I would guess.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Shining immediately becomes a top five episode. Not a minute went by without a laugh out loud moment and their enthusiasm for a GOAT contender was palpable. Also I’m with Crabin - Eyes Wide Shut is top tier Kubrick

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Eyes Wide Shut is probably my favorite after Paths of Glory

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Jupin losing his weezing mind over the movie's tricentennial celebration is hilarious.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

30 minutes in and they haven’t even gotten to the rollercoaster crash, lmao

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tart Kitty posted:

30 minutes in and they haven’t even gotten to the rollercoaster crash, lmao

Are you including or excluding the back to back tour promos?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Now I need a clip of cabin saying “blow jo”. poo poo was hilarious. Plus drat was the shining episode horny holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really love the Dracula 2000 episode and all of the Gerard Butler impressions.