Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the cuckoo bananas tier projects, in approximate tech order, are:

• Weather Paradigm
  • Human Genome
  • Virtual World
  • Planetary Energy Grid (SMAX)
  • Planetary Transit System
  • Empath Guild
  • Hunter Seeker Algorithm
  • Cloudbase Academy (SMAX)

Then the two morale projects, Command Nexus and Cyborg Factory, which are both great, but not as good as the above I feel. Cloning Vats is also pretty nuts, but comes quite late.

i think the Cloudbase Academy is the frontrunner for the cuckoo-bananaest of all the secret projects.

for those following along at home, it gives you free aerospace complexes at every base, which have the advertised effect of buffing the morale and in-base repair rate of your air units, and also doubling your defense against air attacks. neat.

the good stuff, though, is the economic benefit of having aerospace complexes everywhere, which begin to appear when you (re)discover Orbital Spaceflight and start building sky hydroponics satellites. each satellite gives each of your bases +0.5 nutrients. however, bases with aerospace complexes get +1 nutrients per satellite instead because they have space shuttle landing strips or whatever. i think the resource bonuses are capped to the size of your bases, so a size 8 base gets at most +8 nutrients if you have 8 or more satellites up. there's also an orbital power station satellite that does the same thing with energy, and an asteroid mining facility that's for minerals. if you have lots of bases you're now absolutely swimming in resources.

it gets really nuts when your social engineering growth choices support population booms*. you can plop down a new base and buy a children's creche for it, and it'll gain a pop every turn up to the number of hydroponic satellites you have even if its local nutrient situation is lovely. you need ~14 satellites at most , since your bases can't get any bigger until you get hab domes, which are way up behind a level 10 tech. 14 is a big number but not unachievable. now are you not only swimming in it but you have like a thousand population, which (crucially) is intrinsically funny.

apparently you can use orbital defense pods to destroy satellite facilities which sort of balances out this whole dynamic but computer-controlled factions never use them :shrug:

* two ways to do this that i can think of offhand:
1. get +6 growth social engineering points in each base through some combination of planned and democratic civics (+2 growth globally from each), children's creche base facilities (+2 growth for this base), and the golden age buff from having lots of talents and no drones (+2 growth for this base).
2. build the Cloning Vats secret project. it's pretty late in the game so this is a backup if you can't swing the 1st option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's +2 Growth from Eudaimonic too, but the Future Society social choices come so late it almost doesn't matter.

Democratic+Planned+Creche is definitely the normal way of doing it. Golden Ages for Morgan, who can't use Planned.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
aerospace complexes also prevent (normal) (non-exploited) paradrops/orbital insertions within two spaces

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

things are moving more slowly than usual because some folks are on vacation

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

how dare they! is playing the turn not enough of a vacation for them!?!?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Glorgnole posted:

... visiting scenic Ligma Falls.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

florida lan posted:

... visiting scenic Ligma Falls.

Ligma Falls is a thriving populous metropolis

Gaian vacationers are enjoying the (inhospitable, alien) beach at the indisputably coastal city of Neo Pittsburgh

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

Ligma Falls is a thriving populous metropolis

Gaian vacationers are enjoying the (inhospitable, alien) beach at the indisputably coastal city of Neo Pittsburgh

inhabited by neo-tori!?!?

Meanwhile visitors to the Wu-Tang Hive can marvel at the wondrous city of Gravel Pit atop Sunny Mesa or take in the local subservient planned totalitarian culture at the coastal cities of Severe Punishment and Snake Pond! And make sure to stop by our capital, the 36th Chamber of Shaolin!

WU-TANG FOREVER!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pmT2EEXdKM

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 29, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Faction Dominance rankings for MY2187 (can you believe it's been 87 turns lmao):

1. Gaians (Glorgnole)
  2. Spartans (athonypants)
  3. University (Luigi Thirty)
  4. Tied: Drones (Improbable Lobster) and Hive (Me)
  5. Pirates (SmokaDustbowl)
  6. Believers (Boiled Water)

my update for MY2187: have expanded my navy and getting ready to establish a FOB on a new land-mass. exciting times!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

2190... the yospos year...

it's been really weirdly quiet lately. i guess the factions are just building base facilities and working on expansions. i saw a Free Drones expedition sail by like 20 turns ago but i have no idea where it ended up so i'll have to assume it was one of those ambitious antipodal colonization efforts.

an upcoming exciting thing is that infiltration of faction mineral databases indicates that the third, fourth, and fifth secret projects are going to finish construction pretty soon. the exact order is still up for grabs depending on how folks allocate production over the next ~10 turns.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait who has a copter? Or is that just the Unity scout chopper but with some graphical effect (Drone colors)?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PittTheElder posted:

Wait who has a copter? Or is that just the Unity scout chopper but with some graphical effect (Drone colors)?

it's unity :ssh:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
AFAIK Synthetic Fossil Fuels haven't even been discovered yet, let alone Air Power.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that's what I figured, but it would have been crazy if someone had got there somehow. What really threw me is that it looks like it has Plasteel armor on it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

AFAIK Synthetic Fossil Fuels haven't even been discovered yet, let alone Air Power.

we're a long way from airplanes yet

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm either going to have a new base "soon", or totally gently caress a portion of the oceans for anyone but myself. I suppose the outcome is the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEe7_b6NHtA

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hey Smoka i came across your Synthmetal Coastal near New Sargasso:

it was looking a bit worse for wear (70% damaged), guessing you got set upon by some worms.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

it was looking a bit worse for wear (70% damaged), guessing you got set upon by some worms.

feel free to hit those pods before I do, it's worm season

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 24, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

We can't stop here - this is worm country!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MY 2192: getting closer to carrying out my sick plan, only change in rankings is me praise wu-tang:

1. Gaians (Glorgnole)
  2. Spartans (athonypants)
  3. Tied: University (Luigi Thirty) and Hive (Me)
  4. Drones (Improbable Lobster)
  5. Pirates (SmokaDustbowl)
  6. Believers (Boiled Water)

Edit: also unless i'm mistaken on the 10th of November we'll have reached the two year mark :lol:

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 9, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd like to post things more interesting than faction dominance graphs but i'm not sure how people feel about opsec in the game. thoughts?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
doesn't bug me expect that it may reveal my ineptitude

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Improbable Lobster posted:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

there are worms here now, I was right lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the two-year anniversary of this PBEM game is coming up in a few months, specifically the 10th of November if the date that Glorgnole sent the original game setup e-mail is used. pretty wild imo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the two-year anniversary of this PBEM game is coming up in a few months, specifically the 10th of November if the date that Glorgnole sent the original game setup e-mail is used. pretty wild imo

and not one of you have nerve gassed someone, what the hell did you spend your time doing

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

and not one of you have nerve gassed someone, what the hell did you spend your time doing

buddy we're only on like turn 93, everyone knows that poo poo generally doesn't kick off in a SMAC game until post turn 100. that said i have heard rumblings about some conflict in the immediate future (probably not atrocities though, you sick freak!)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

thank you all for sticking with it! we're moving at the utterly blistering pace of 1 turn per week so project from that what you will.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's pretty cool imo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

was going through the pics folder on my PC and found this (source unknown), figured i'd post it:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pile Of Garbage posted:

was going through the pics folder on my PC and found this (source unknown), figured i'd post it:

You might not like it, but this is what peak Planetfall looks like

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i can't find that rocky/arid/xenofungus square and it's bugging me

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i can't find that rocky/arid/xenofungus square and it's bugging me

the coords for it are 0,0 so it'd be at the centre of the map. if you peep the minimap it's somewhere on the left side of the viewport just out of view

edit: actually i'm a dummy, 0,0 top-centre

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 5, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OK some content for those who are interested! Chairman Yang of the Wu-Tang Hive providing a situation report for MY 2194:

First up the first(?) random event of the game has occurred: sunspot activity is blocking inter-faction comms!

Now onto the state-of-play, here's a big zoomed out view of the world map (At least what I've discovered):

Slightly zoomed-in, note I've had to redact some details for OPSEC!

Now lets have a look at each faction's territory:

Believers (Boiled Water)

Located south-east of the Uranium Flats the Believers have established two bases: NYE HARD and MORT DUR. Not sure why they don't have more, the Spartans having a foothold to the east may have something to do with it.

University (Luigi Thirty)

The University made planetfall in a relatively remote location that's quite far from any other factions. However they've still been the victims of Spartan aggression. They have established three bases around Pholus Ridge:

• University Base
  • Old Third Base Memorial
  • Santiago's Folly (:lol:)

Pirates (SmokaDustbowl)

The Pirates territory is split between two regions. The first is south of the Monsoon Jungle where Pirate Captain Emerald and Pirate Captain Harlock are located. The second is in the Geothermal Shallows Tech Bubbles (Pro rename) with Hell's Ditch.

Spartans (anthonypants)

Controlling the most territory are the Spartans who have established bases around Mount Planet down to the northern edge of the Monsoon Jungle. Disappointingly they've gone with default base names:

• Sparta Command
  • Halls of Discipline
  • Hommel's Citadel
  • Janissary Rock
  • Fleet Anchorage
  • War Outpost

Gaians (Glorgnole)

Having the luxury of an entire island to themselves the Gaians have built a record 8 bases around Garland Crater Jebediah Kerman Memorial Crater:

• Bohemian Grove
  • Neo Pittsburgh
  • Ligma Falls
  • The Ghost Coast (Located west of the Spooky Strait)
  • I'm Bae
  • New Humboldt
  • Wine Mom Vinyard
  • Beats by Deirdre

Drones (Improbable Lobster)

Sharing an island with the Hive the Drones have established three bases on the eastern side:

• Kraft Works
  • Free Literature Central
  • Drum and Bass (My favourite)

Hive (Me)

As mentioned above I'm sharing an island with the Drones and have so far established four bases around and on Sunny Mesa:

• 36th Chamber of Shaolin
  • Snake Pond
  • Gravel Pit
  • Severe Punishment

wow that's a lot of post

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 5, 2019

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

there's been some exchange of fire between the University and the Spartans near Santiago's Folly. due to the nature of snooping on a 3rd-party war in a pbem game, the fact that there was a battle at all can only be deduced by watching changes in healthbars and remembering which units were where during the previous turn. i don't actually know for sure who fired first or with what.

there's been a stalemate there for at least 10 turns (thus the name of the base, presumably), so at least there's finally some kind of action there. note that the heavily-armored Spartan impact speeder has elite morale, so in addition to being a generally tough nut to crack it gets 3 moves/turn.

here's what's going on in my neck of the woods. currently in a "build lots of base facilities" phase.

e:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

wow that's a lot of post

thanks for putting this together!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
nice update!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

countdown until smoka spots that sea colony pod you're making and demands that you get out of the oceans! :P

Glorgnole posted:

thanks for putting this together!

no worries mate! i need to include some analysis like you do with your posts though, that's the proper interesting stuff

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

one more thing just wanted to highlight Smoka renaming Geothermal Shallows to Tech Bubbles :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

one more thing just wanted to highlight Smoka renaming Geothermal Shallows to Tech Bubbles :lol:

it wasn't me, I think it was glorgnole before spartans blew up their base there