Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You still be getting shot once a turn by the invulnerable archer in the city, or twice a turn if it's a coastal city with a ranged boat in it, or a million times a turn if bombers have been invented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gort posted:

You still be getting shot once a turn by the invulnerable archer in the city, or twice a turn if it's a coastal city with a ranged boat in it, or a million times a turn if bombers have been invented

I think the archer takes damage if you hit the city? And you can deal with bombers by using fighters/SAMs

I think the cities are generally more killable than you're all implying. You should just expect to lose a unit or two in the process, which is almost always worth it to take a decent city.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AnoHito posted:

I think the archer takes damage if you hit the city? And you can deal with bombers by using fighters/SAMs

I think the cities are generally more killable than you're all implying. You should just expect to lose a unit or two in the process, which is almost always worth it to take a decent city.

Yeah, is not that hard. It just takes a smart use of ranged, siege and melee units. The thing is that the AI is totally incapable of pulling that off, except, sometimes, when attacking a clueless human player or another dumb AI player

But then again, thats a problem with the AI, not with the combat system

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AnoHito posted:

Eh, humans have no trouble taking cities, especially once bombers and artillery are in the game. It's the AI that loses units because they just mill around in range of the city getting shot every turn.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Civ is only historical in the sense that it's the theme. There is absolutely zero mechanics in the games that reflects history in any sense, whatsoever.

Also sieges in all the games, doomstacks or no, are over by a turn or so.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Civ 5 or 6 have yet to get Fall From Heaven 2. Case closed.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I can only play CivV with Vox Populi.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Senior Dog posted:

I’d call the civ series history inspired or history aware over history based tbh

Yeah the Sid Meier thing is to inspire a bit of wonder and curiosity rather than actually teach.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Average Bear posted:

That’s definitely the biggest reason I poured hundreds of more hours into Civ IV.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If you're having doomstack problems I feel bad for you son, I play Fall From Heaven 2 and killing a stack aint one

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah Civ is something I play when I want a gamey thing, but I almost never play it because the fun to me is just the early game not winning the game. Granted part of that is theme, as I prefer pre gunpowder stuff. And hey Civ 5/6 has Anno Domini for classical theming which I love the hell out of. And since Imperator still isn't good :negative:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've only played a bit of Civ2 and Civ4, before I realised I just prefer the Paradox style of strategy, but... why not have limits on the number of units you can stack onto a tile instead of one per? It could be based on, say, terrain and tech and civ bonuses. It seems like a case where neither extreme really works great, for all the reasons said, but you could do something neat if you did something halfway inbetween.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
IIRC Civ 3 did something where you made "armies" out of your unit stacks which sounds a bit like what you're suggesting but I haven't played that game for probably 20 years so I'm definitely remembering extremely poorly.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Average Bear posted:

Thats because Endless Legend is the sucessor to Fall From Heaven 2

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
I don't really see what's so bad about doomstacks. It's not a great system but it works and has a very obvious counter (which is why it's not used so much in MP). More importantly, the AI actually knows how to play the game with stacks. It does not know how to play with 1UPT.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

AnEdgelord posted:

It's not even close, unfortunately. I assume EL is gonna get a sequel at some point though, so we'll see

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I never figured out FFH2, why was it so great?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

AnEdgelord posted:

I thought that was one of the Elemental games? Didn't one of them actually hire the Fall From Heaven guy?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It makes a really fun and well written fantasy setting. Magic systems, new victory conditions, mid/late game conflicts, and the civs are all fantastic and play very different.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fuligin posted:

It's not even close, unfortunately. I assume EL is gonna get a sequel at some point though, so we'll see

Idk Ive played both and have basically no desire to play FFH2 now that I have EL. It fulfills the same itch for a really interesting setting filled with super distinct factions. Really the only thing that I prefer from FFH2 is the combat system but thats more an indictment of EL's combat system than praise for FFH2.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

whacky fantasy setting with civs they played very differently from one another and paths down the tech tree you could chase that were all very different from each other and several religions and governments that, get this, were all veeeery different from each other.

You could play the Empire who fought their way out of hell onto this desolate wasteland and restart the same seed etc and have entirely different games each time. Maybe they're the cthulhu worshipping wizardkings, or the demon-pact sword and boards, or etc. it took everything good about civ and turned it to eleven, with the downside of the AI couldn't entiiiirely get everything and MP civ4 is an exercise in frustration. And desyncs.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxFaTAfRiP4&list=WL&index=6

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

catlord posted:

I thought that was one of the Elemental games? Didn't one of them actually hire the Fall From Heaven guy?

Yes, he worked on Fallen Enchantress and its expansion Legendary Heroes. Lead designer, no less. He also worked on Sorcerer King games.

Strange how crude and cringey mod (you can hire Guybrush Treepwood and he can sing for you) is more beloved than the same guy doing a full-blown game.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I now see why Paradox is hesitant to make Victoria 3. About half of his points I agree with, the other half I couldn't disagree more with, and I'm sure the same could be said for a lot of people watching, but with completely different points. Basically, people are going to dislike a lot of the mythical Victoria 3 no matter what it ends up looking like (if it ever gets made) just purely from their own personal philosophy of what these types of games should be like.

I still think the game needs to be updated, if people don't like it they can mod the new cleaner updated version with some of the most obviously egregious things fixed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

trapped mouse posted:

I now see why Paradox is hesitant to make Victoria 3. About half of his points I agree with, the other half I couldn't disagree more with, and I'm sure the same could be said for a lot of people watching, but with completely different points. Basically, people are going to dislike a lot of the mythical Victoria 3 no matter what it ends up looking like (if it ever gets made) just purely from their own personal philosophy of what these types of games should be like.

I still think the game needs to be updated, if people don't like it they can mod the new cleaner updated version with some of the most obviously egregious things fixed.

What sort of mad man actually prefers chance based diplomacy?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ilitarist posted:

Yes, he worked on Fallen Enchantress and its expansion Legendary Heroes. Lead designer, no less. He also worked on Sorcerer King games.

Strange how crude and cringey mod (you can hire Guybrush Treepwood and he can sing for you) is more beloved than the same guy doing a full-blown game.

Games bland, mod good. Not more to it tbh. Part of the appeal of FFH is how crazy things get, while FE and SK are incredibly bland in comparison, both in terms of gameplay and theme.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, probably. I don't like FE cause it's like moving numbers around and differently colored people pretend they're different. (Maybe it's a social commentary hiding as straightforward boring design?)

I can't stomach FFH2 for liberal use of art I've seen elsewhere and dumb amateur stuff like Guybrush I've mentioned, Inquisition being literally from Monthy Python and so on and so on. But I can see that there's a lot of great to it. It resembles Total War Warhammer in many ways with its several apocalypse things happening in the background - heaven/hell war, religious tech able to summon demon and angel factions, powerful beings coming into the world. Come to think of it, Stellaris also is similar to that but it goes out of its way to make empire management more boring than bank accountant's daily job.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

trapped mouse posted:

I'm not that far into the video but this guy is nuts. Really, an HoI ship designer in Vicky? Rebel buffs, without considering how stupid the whole rebellion system is in the first place?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The goofy imagery fits 4's theme very well. Which reminds me, can civ games try to feel fun again instead of self serious and chrome painted

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They try to be fun, didn't you like Kilimanjaro "no wi-fi" quote?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm not that far into the video but this guy is nuts. Really, an HoI ship designer in Vicky? Rebel buffs, without considering how stupid the whole rebellion system is in the first place?

Yeah I think some of the stuff he mentions is pretty common sense (putting soldier pops into a common pool rather than all being per province, using HoI4 large scale unit management instead of having to micro everything), and I like his concept for the way the world market should work because it makes trade relations with neighbours a lot more meaningful and gives you more levers to pull to manage the economy rather than having it just be some huge black box, but some of the other stuff in the video is just kind of like, way too much detail in areas that aren't the primary focus of the game. I get the intention to put more emphasis on the naval game which was a big deal in the time period, but I feel like the economic suggestions he has would already do that without having to get super granular with custom ship designs or anything.

This is kind of the problem that a lot of Victoria fans tend to have with their dream designs for V3 though - they seem to see Victoria as like a "best of" collection of all the other Paradox titles rather than its own unique title with its own unique focus. Victoria is a game about economics and internal political management - warfare is a big aspect of the game but it shouldn't be as detailed than like, Hearts of Iron, a game that is ABOUT warfare.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
My favorite thing about Vicky is how you can play tall and become number one.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

remove clickable units in Vicky 3, alternatly don't put in something dumb as hell like a ship designer and instead put in a mobilization planner :getin:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I hate custom unit designs in Paradox games. The combat mechanics are always so obscure and poorly documented in-game that I can never tell what the different stats effect and which ones are cost effective. There's no decision making - you either ignore it completely or google the optimal build and stick with that. Like CK2 retinues.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The problem with Victoria 3 is that, much like Victoria 2, it will take 10 years to be good.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
make victoria 3 you cowards

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wiz won't let me down. Victoria 3 will be real and amazing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
We will get Victoria 3, but it will be called Victorinox and it will be all about the rise of the Swiss watchmaking industry in the 1800s, and will focus on having to source thousands of little parts to make timepieces.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

We will get Victoria 3, but it will be called Victorinox and it will be all about the rise of the Swiss watchmaking industry in the 1800s, and will focus on having to source thousands of little parts to make timepieces.

Is this supposed to be a downside? I'd probably still have fun with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Have you guys considered that Paradox no longer wants to develop the Congo Free State simulator?