Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

she sat out ww2 and the holocaust but the sequel is her fighting soviets in afghanistan. priorities

the redbaiting will be annoying but on the bright side it'll be really easy to justify my 'wonder woman hangs out with big boss' fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

R. Guyovich posted:

she sat out ww2 and the holocaust but the sequel is her fighting soviets in afghanistan. priorities

literally sending Wonder Woman to Afghanistan so she can fight to keep girls out of schools

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lol how can someone misread a movie this bad
maybe he's the freak because he watched goodfellas and thought that when they showed them murdering and generally being psychopaths those were cool things to do

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

maybe he's the freak because he watched goodfellas and thought that when they showed them murdering and generally being psychopaths those were cool things to do

Sort of like the finance guys who think "Wall Street" and "American Psycho" show charming presentations of finance people.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in the wonder woman movie did they imply that she prevented world war 2 and the holocaust

wtf wonder women is in the red alert timeline??? guess that explains why shes fighting soviets

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
people are angry about the red baiting thing but forget D.C. is terrible at making movies so they'll probably accidentally make them sympathetic or something.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Horseshoe theory posted:

Sort of like the finance guys who think "Wall Street" and "American Psycho" show charming presentations of finance people.

there's something about the primitive lizard brain that even when you're seeing things you know are bad and nightmarish, so long as the subject has an abundance of material wealth you can't help but feel a little envious and that this is the image of a lifestyle you should aspire to. it's the same reason war movies become militarized propaganda, even if they're nominally anti-war. You see poo poo blowing up on the screen and enemies being destroyed, and your ape brain interprets that as exciting adventure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

there's something about the primitive lizard brain that even when you're seeing things you know are bad and nightmarish, so long as the subject has an abundance of material wealth you can't help but feel a little envious and that this is the image of a lifestyle you should aspire to. it's the same reason war movies become militarized propaganda, even if they're nominally anti-war. You see poo poo blowing up on the screen and enemies being destroyed, and your ape brain interprets that as exciting adventure.

I mean, gangsters and rappers are crazy about Scarface and we all know how that ends.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, gangsters and rappers are crazy about Scarface and we all know how that ends.

gangsters, rappers, and college dormies

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

to be fair he's portrayed as "a man with a code" or whatever, he refused to kill that woman and her kids and so on, I don't think he's ever shown killing a civilian (though I did watch it only two or three times about 10 years ago)
in goodfellas mafiosos are unstable garbage where you can get killed at the drop of a hat, just joe pesci's character is enough to see that and deniro cleaning house with the 2nd part of layla playing in the background

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well as the guy telling the story Henry never actually kills anyone iirc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

On the other hand there's the Sopranos scene where they try to shake down a Starbucks

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's TRUE. Billy Zane as the Phantom rocked my world

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

to be fair he's portrayed as "a man with a code" or whatever, he refused to kill that woman and her kids and so on, I don't think he's ever shown killing a civilian (though I did watch it only two or three times about 10 years ago)

Tony murders his best friend just for dating his sister.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Doctor Jeep posted:

Someone else pointed out, he's probably thinking of the godfather and doesn't realize goodfellas is a different movie

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say 10% of the people I've met who saw it thought that Travis in Taxi Driver was supposed to be pathetic. About 90% thought he was supposed to be sympathetic. The most common read of Rick & Morty is that Rick is a cool dude who rules, when the show explicitly calls him an irresponsible baby. People watched Fight Club and started actual IRL fight clubs.

Basically it's just a really goddamn uphill battle to create a protagonist that the audience doesn't sympathize with. Especially if the audience sees themselves in the protagonist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So are we supposed to accept the pliant cattle's opinion that we should shield the weak minds of slightly more pliant cattle from harmful influence?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Plutonis posted:

So are we supposed to accept the pliant cattle's opinion that we should shield the weak minds of slightly more pliant cattle from harmful influence?

If you want art to be a transcendental thing that is beyond politics and beyond audience, then whatever. If you want your art to be a communication with the audience, creators have so far been significantly off the mark when trying to communicate "this is a story about a person who sucks."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1180160666507853824?s=19

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1180196626780037122?s=20

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
man this Martin thing is going to bring out all the insufferable film snobs huh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mantis42 posted:

Well as the guy telling the story Henry never actually kills anyone iirc.

All three of them kill Billy Batts in the trunk on the way to bury him

I suspect the rest is largely because actual Henry Hill didn't cop to any murders while being interviewed for Wiseguys and the movie is lifted very heavily from that, to the point where most of the voiceover is direct quotes from actual Henry Hill including the big monologue about witness protection at the end

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it’s not really the creators’ fault, but the whole culture training people to identify with protagonists automatically. art literacy is an afterthought because the culture can only conceive of art in its commodity form.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

filling my utopic visions with overpriced food and long lines

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s not really the creators’ fault, but the whole culture training people to identify with protagonists automatically. art literacy is an afterthought because the culture can only conceive of art in its commodity form.

To be honest I'm not even sure that actually happens. When I was a kid I was more likely to come up with self-inserts than identify with any protagonists. I might just be the weird one though, usually a safe bet. Cultivation theory has always been bunk in any case.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
disenyland is fascist, sure, but as a parody i swear

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Communication is a two way street. If you one person out of a hundred misinterprets your satire as sincere, that's probably on them. If 90%+ of the people misinterpret your satire as sincere, well.

If there is anything that qualifies as an 'outside the creator's control' thing, then it's probably that we're throwing a single piece of art to be a piece of mass culture, expecting that culture to be significantly more homogeneous than it actually is. It's not simply that the people selecting Oscars and the people sincerely liking Michael Bay's Transformers are of different merit (an exceedingly liberal way to put this) but that they are culturally different and both interpret and value the same objective input into subjectively different judgments.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mantis42 posted:

Wonder Woman gonna inadvertently cause 9/11 in amazing example of girlpower.

This is just The Boys

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StashAugustine posted:

This is just The Boys

Buddy if you think the tv show was 9/11

In the comic, 9/11 happens, but the president orders the jets shot down, having paid attention to briefings and being prepared for this. Two of them get blown up but before the third one can be fired on, something happens and the pilots are told to stand down

So the seven board the plane to stop 9/11 and everything goes horribly wrong to the point that homelander just flies through a plane full of people to get out and comes out covered in blood and Gore and the plane hits the Brooklyn Bridge instead of the towers

As soon as that bit of the show started I was just mumbling oh god oh no because I really thought they were going to show a 9/11 instead of a Malaysian flight whatever

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Buddy if you think the tv show was 9/11

In the comic, 9/11 happens, but the president orders the jets shot down, having paid attention to briefings and being prepared for this. Two of them get blown up but before the third one can be fired on, something happens and the pilots are told to stand down

So the seven board the plane to stop 9/11 and everything goes horribly wrong to the point that homelander just flies through a plane full of people to get out and comes out covered in blood and Gore and the plane hits the Brooklyn Bridge instead of the towers

As soon as that bit of the show started I was just mumbling oh god oh no because I really thought they were going to show a 9/11 instead of a Malaysian flight whatever

Homelander and Queen Maeve board a hijacked plane and fry the controls in the process, so they leave everyone to crash into the ocean instead of saving anyone.

Is that a separate instance in the comics or just changing things to make it not-9/11?

EDIT: Never mind your last paragraph clarified.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NightGyr posted:

The show has something similar: Homelander and Queen Maeve board a hijacked plane and fry the controls in the process, so they leave everyone to crash into the ocean instead of saving anyone. Is that a separate instance in the comics or just changing things to make it not-9/11?

The latter

It makes sense, the show is definitely set in the late 10s, while the book is very much set in like, 2006-7 and the 9/11 scene is a flashback to again literally 9/11, it's harder to do that now in terms of making that gap in time work with the larger story of vought trying to weaponize capes

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/robbystarbuck/status/1180263591775293440

The replies... Oh my

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Garth Ennis gets a not entirely undeserved amount of poo poo for his edgy poo poo but he's an incredibly smart person and aware of exactly how our military and moneyed interests collude

The last arc of his Punisher Max has a couple full page text pieces about how the military preys on the marginalized, especially poc, to keep the meat grinder rolling

It came out in like, 2008? Before the election, deep in Iraq. It was about Vietnam specifically but it applies broadly, obviously

The Boys has a lot of problems but his seething hatred of the MIC makes it all worthwhile

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was a little disappointed the Boys show didn’t have the moment from the comics where the Homelander, after deciding the plan is hosed up and they have to leave the people on the plane to die (by crashing into the Brooklyn Bridge, ultimately), just turns and shouts SHUT THE gently caress UP at all of them with his superpowered voice, simultaneously bursting all their loving eardrums

Darick Robertson did a great job illustrating that scene

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

I was a little disappointed the Boys show didn’t have the moment from the comics where the Homelander, after deciding the plan is hosed up and they have to leave the people on the plane to die (by crashing into the Brooklyn Bridge, ultimately), just turns and shouts SHUT THE gently caress UP at all of them with his superpowered voice, simultaneously bursting all their loving eardrums

Darick Robertson did a great job illustrating that scene

That might have been Russ Braun already but honestly I can't remember and I don't have the trade handy to look

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That might have been Russ Braun already but honestly I can't remember and I don't have the trade handy to look

poo poo you’re right and neither do I

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

According to the cover (#21) it's Darick.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was going to say I don't think that means much because I THINK he got billing on covers as co-creator regardless but the art looks like his so

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Checked further, Robertson has the illustrator credit on the credits page, no mention of Braun.

Cover by Robertson and Aviña, colorist I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are we sure that people idolize "bad" protagonists because they're protagonists and not because they do cool but immoral poo poo that a properly socialized person is unable to do? Like, did people idolize, say, Paul Blart the mall cop? Or like Observe and Report guy?