Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

sort of but wutang production was 'raw' and the vocals were super punchy and high and cut through but on the danny record sometimes i just cant hear him through the beats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rap game yoko ono

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Q-Tip is supposed to be the executive producer. Has he worked in that role on anything else?
I just know him as a rapping man.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

JHVH-1 posted:

Q-Tip is supposed to be the executive producer. Has he worked in that role on anything else?

If you see a song that was produced by A Tribe Called Quest, that actually means Q Tip produced it. So he pretty much EP’d most of ATCQ’s stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

its sounds like its mixed super poorly to me but maybe thats on purpose?

I genuinely though my speakers were hosed until I read the last few posts, the vocals are mixed atrociously.

Love the last track because it made me want to listen to the last ATCQ album, the one from 2016 or whenever. That was so good

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Uknowwhatimsayin and So Much Fun both have really good highlights that show the artist doing what they do well, but both albums also have some god awful beats and mixing thrown in to kind of ruin the packages as a whole for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Danny album good but sometimes the production feels so unsuitable, especially on Theme Song. Mostly though I really like it. It even has jpegmafia contributions I don’t find insufferable

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Angryhead posted:

As the resident woods stan in this thread: yup, it's dope. Only on my second listen atm, but my first impressions are that it's more of the same in the best way.
Danny Brown album ain't bad either.

It feels like he took the concept of shorter, punchier songs from Today I Wrote Nothing and married them with some of the crazy beats on Paraffin. If he hadn't already released Hiding Places, I would say it's my album of the year.

The Danny Brown is fine.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

tbh i used to loving hate clipping but the couple new songs ive heard recently have been great

I dunno man, this is still one of the craziest live rap performances I've ever seen. 2013 in Seattle, in front of like fifteen people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nibVU1RjAM

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like clipping but also lol
https://twitter.com/lieptogalas/status/1179873351923306497?s=19

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Danny album is okay. I feel like the best songs on it are the singles released before the album.

I'm not feeling a strong desire to listen to it again already.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

I'm not feeling a strong desire to listen to it again already.

Same TBH

I'll give it a few more listens.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I listened to it today and will there are good individual lines, none of the songs were really that memorable

Time to put AE on repeat I guess

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I rly like the Danny album honestly, confused and a lil sad that so many people seem lukewarm but oh well

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRoHsH0syBE

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

prayer group posted:

I dunno man, this is still one of the craziest live rap performances I've ever seen. 2013 in Seattle, in front of like fifteen people.

whoa

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

90s Shoes posted:

I rly like the Danny album honestly, confused and a lil sad that so many people seem lukewarm but oh well

It owns op. I like Danny’s rapping on this a lot better than AE tbh and I really liked AE. And it’s not nearly as depressing

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

prayer group posted:

clipping is rap that only 20-something white people like 3 hours deep in a k-hole could love and here is video proof

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018
clipping. is Divorced Grips

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

forgot about them, love all their poo poo

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JHVH-1 posted:

Q-Tip is a producer on par with dudes like RZA, Premiere, Pete Rock, etc. On top of the tribe stuff, he did production on a ton of 90's stuff (most notably for Nas, Mobb Deep, and Busta Rhymes). Also his album Amplified was like 15 or 20 years ahead of it's time, but dudes only wanted to hear tribe stuff then so it kinda faded away.

colachute posted:

If you see a song that was produced by A Tribe Called Quest, that actually means Q Tip produced it. So he pretty much EP’d most of ATCQ’s stuff.

That's not exactly true. The first three were him with Ali Shaheed Muhammed, Beats Rhymes and Life and the Love Movement were both the Ummah production which was those two, plus Questlove and Dilla. Which I always like pointing out because before he became the dude everyone knew and loved after he died, dudes were making GBS threads all over him when those last tribe albums came out for being part of the reason tribe was "ruined". While they may not be as good as Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders, Beats Rhymes and Life is way better than anyone gives it credit for (Love Movement's kinda bad, but they were basically done as a group at that point and it shows).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

InnercityGriot posted:

It feels like he took the concept of shorter, punchier songs from Today I Wrote Nothing and married them with some of the crazy beats on Paraffin. If he hadn't already released Hiding Places, I would say it's my album of the year.

The Danny Brown is fine.

Mural, Lost in the Sauce, and Zulu Tolstoy are probably my top three songs of the decade in terms of just pure rapping and writing. billy woods is riding an insane hot streak now, dude just can't do no wrong.

Also as an aside, Lupe has somehow had a somewhat disappointing career, yet also I wouldn't really argue too much if someone were to say he was the best rapper ever (at least from a lyricism perspective).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Just got back from seeing Father. It ruled. Saw some titties. I was able to get in a stagedive (only stagedive at the show!) during Who’s Gonna Get hosed First, and I gave him some Chocolate Sugar cookies that I baked. I did the meet n greet thing and he was super nice!

He rapped his rear end off. Used instrumentals here and there which doesn’t always happen these days, and the crowd was loving wild. I’m trying to say it was a fun rear end time and you should see him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
father rules

clipping is rap that only 20-something white people like 3 hours deep in a k-hole could love and here is video proof

i'm in my 30s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They're like death grips but worse

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1E8CzKbN0

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Anyone want a job as a 'rap translator'?

quote:

A gang leader has been jailed after police used a "rap translator" to prove he had threatened to shoot his rivals in a new song.

Essex Police drafted in an expert to prove Roland Douherty, 19, known as Valenti, breached an injunction banning him from recording violent tracks.

The song breached an existing court order banning him from "featuring in any audio or video online that is threatening, abusive, insulting, incites, violence, promotes criminal activity, shows weapons or makes reference to gang affiliations and the C17".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

succ posted:

Obviously they’ve never heard of Genius

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Didn’t genius start as a satire of rap lyrics where it basically broke it down in the most white people language ever?

“I got the computers ‘putin”

Cam’ron is utilizing a personal home computer and has it performing functions such as browsing the internet, paying bills, or even doing taxes.

Or was that a different website?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

InnercityGriot posted:

Today, I Wrote Nothing is still my #1 from him, helped by coming out at a particularly poo poo time in my life. It's just the right kind of depressively dark (and humorous) to click for me. Madvillainy, but for struggling people that somehow flows together into a coherent album by the end.

Few more spins of Terror Management and really into it too.

"I got recognized at the butcher, like
"All due respect, are you woods or you not?"
(I'll take the lamb chops)
Said he recognized the voice from somewhere
Listened to the tape and compared, over the years
I forget white people is born police, impressed
I guess I need a new place to buy meat"
relatable raps

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

colachute posted:

Didn’t genius start as a satire of rap lyrics where it basically broke it down in the most white people language ever?

“I got the computers ‘putin”

Cam’ron is utilizing a personal home computer and has it performing functions such as browsing the internet, paying bills, or even doing taxes.

Or was that a different website?

That’s the one, I don’t think it was satirical though just kinda corny. It always reminded me of that show gangland where they’d have definitions of the most basic poo poo, like “put in work” or “caught slipping”, for people with a complete inability to use context clues.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Yah I definitely get a good laugh out of some of the lyric descriptions on Genius. But they also do interviews with artists where they will go through a song and explain the lyrics which is kinda cool.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Oh good, an excuse to post this, one of the funniest videos I've ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzAOODb2124

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Listened to uknowhatimsayin? again, the mixing is absolutely awful in general. Some of the high end stuff on one of the songs is legit painful to listen to.

Overall I'm not feeling it really.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Starks posted:

It owns op. I like Danny’s rapping on this a lot better than AE tbh and I really liked AE. And it’s not nearly as depressing

That was the same vibe I got from it.

I really like the album, even if it is different than his previous work.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still stand by killing all white people but this is pretty fresh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hT6pioGVo8

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Y'all heard of Abhi The Nomad?

https://youtu.be/zWMZOSWNJ3A

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I still stand by killing all white people but this is pretty fresh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hT6pioGVo8

yeah i get along with this

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

succ posted:

the uk has gone insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Atrocity Exhibition is maybe my favorite rap album ever so any followup was gonna pale in comparison but I still really dig the Danny album. It’s not challenging but it’s still smooth as hell