Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Uh. What engineers? I thought literally all of the Starfleet members on ds9 were in the main cast until the war

There's Mendez i think? The guy that Worf wanted to mercy kill when they got stuck on the jemhadar ship. There was also a few that Worf was in charge of and O'Brien had to tell him not to be a dick to.

.... Thinking about it now it seems like Worf really has it in for engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Besides O’Brien I think the only enlisted guy on EntD was that med staff guy that worf had a hate boner for cuz his grandpa was the bad kind of Vulcan.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The Equinox survivors got demoted to enlisted before they were never seen again IIRC? It's been a while since I saw that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

They were made directly subordinate to Harry Kim, the most degrading punishment Janeway could think of.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

naem posted:

it’s kind of weird that mile’s was transferred to a former cardassian space station

A cruel and soul-crushing fate for miles 'praying for death' o'brien? Not in my star trek.

Netflix has been churning through Voyager for a while now and it's finally on the finale. I know what happens but I really want future janeway to have made a mistake, be like 'whoops' and *bang* everyone is assimilated fade to black.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Meaney was insidious in that scene. It's a shame he didn't get more opportunities to show off his range.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The real message of Star Trek how even the utopia of the future upper management is pretty much the same.

Suck at your job or get hijacked by mind control worms? you're definitely star fleet admiral material!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ikanreed posted:

I got the impression from incidental do dialog in ds9 that he signed up for a war against cardassia, and stuck around afterwards, but the normal peacetime route for working for Starfleet is to go to the academy.

Also lol that he's a Master Chief

He didn't sign up for the war specifically, it was just bad timing that the war started not longer he signed up. He signed up to escape his father's plans for him to be a professional cellist and to see more than just Earth, something we learn several years after seeing him playing the cello a few times on the Enterprise.

Yes, I am saying that O'Brien is Space Yo-Yo Ma.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm in Season 4 of my TNG rewatch and O'Brien has Lieutenant pips as of 'The Wounded'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

There's Mendez i think? The guy that Worf wanted to mercy kill when they got stuck on the jemhadar ship. There was also a few that Worf was in charge of and O'Brien had to tell him not to be a dick to.

.... Thinking about it now it seems like Worf really has it in for engineers.

There's also the never-seen alien guy who has kids that Jadzia babysits and has to keep untangling their wings.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm in Season 4 of my TNG rewatch and O'Brien has Lieutenant pips as of 'The Wounded'

That was back in the 'EVERYONE IS AN OFFICER' days of TNG, due Gene's lingering Gene-ness.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, but earlier that season, Worf's adopted (human) dad somehow recognized O'Brien as a chief petty officer on sight. I don't know, maybe the pips are a slightly different shade of metallic for enlisted or something.

e: And of course there's a comprehensive analysis of O'Brien's rank on Memory Alpha.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Miles_O%27Brien#Problematic_rank_history

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ikanreed posted:

Uh. What engineers? I thought literally all of the Starfleet members on ds9 were in the main cast until the war

There's a small contingent of randoms in various service branches to pad out the background iirc, but it is largely implied the main cast are there to direct Bajoran crew divisions. Starfleet gets to run the station because they have logistical expertise and resources to fix the drat thing that the Bajorans don't, and it gives the Bajorans a functional trading port with Federation space that they sorely needed. Plus just having a Starfleet presence there gives the Cardassians pause for trying anything, because they know drat-well another war with Starfleet wouldn't go their way.

naem posted:

it’s kind of weird that mile’s was transferred to a former cardassian space station

It's a promotion for an enlisted man that'd otherwise be stuck operating Transporters all day, plus he probably has a LOT of experience with Cardassian technology from the war. It's an ideal quiet post for him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, remember that at the start of the show DS9 is expected to be a quiet frontier outpost basically there as a buffer against the Cardassians, which Sisko specifically chose as a low-stress position since he was pretty much shattered from Wolf 359. While O'Brien has shitloads of stuff to fix. The episode where he goes undercover has everything malfunctioning back at DS9 without him.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

via

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

wishing i was jaz but i know i am an ezri :negative:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh but seriously I posted:

wishing i was dukat but i know i am a damar :negative:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

SKIP LOMG POST BUTTON

MikeJF posted:

gently caress me, they took the disco aesthetic and made it even uglier.

BABYLON 5 SEASON 5 EPISODE 7 THIS POST HAS A NOVELTY GIMMICK WHEREIN I USE PUNCTUATION AND poo poo

We begin IN SPACE, as is customary. Dr. Steve is giving a doctor's log and it would appear that his new role as top brass of the space CDC is actually going to be a plotline rather than a way of easing him out of the show. He is interviewing one of those quasi-cthulu faced carrion eater dudes about their powerful immune systems. :cthulhu: informs the good doctor that they were chosen by God and given his blessing to eat of all the creatures of the universe. God is dead dude, it was a whole big thing for like the first 7/10ths of the show.

Make that most of the creatures of the universe- they cannot eat fish. Steven gives him a glass of barium for totally legitimate science reasons and he almost immediately upchucks it all over a window.

Zack assesses the scene as more telepath refugees arrive. We get some bitching about immigrants before loving Byron rocks up. loving Byron drops the old "angels on a pinhead" freshman theology talking point like it is arcane knowledge. Zack pulls Leeta aside.

A stuttery refugee demostrates his sick telekinis skills to Byron.

HOLE IN YOUR MIND DAWN OF THE THIRD AGE GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY

The episodes is called Secrets of the Soul. Ominous.

Zack acts all weird and racist about the telepaths to Leeta. Zack is still holding a torch for her. Apparently she is boning Byron and is still pissed about getting almost moved to smaller quarters. Leeta is all in for Byron and Zack is bummed that she does not love him better.

Byron has a run in with some local oinks. He challenges the ringleader to hit him a few times and weirds him out by just taking the blows and psychoanalysing him. The hoi polloi whisper.

Dr. Steve is having tea with a Hayak ambassador. "Geriatocracy" is a cool word. Steve wants the Naarn to give him info on their genetics as part of his disease control thing. The ambassadors second gets snarky but he assures her that he would die before surrendering their genetic secrets to a hostile party.

~*PLOT TWIST*~ there is a secret hidden in the Naarn genome. It is getting all Metal Gear Solid and I am not opposed.

Leeta finds hosed up Byron. She wonders why he did not defend himself. Goddam Byron manages to come across like a huge prick despite rising above violencem, quite impressive. We get some cringey flirting and they kiss on the lips. Scandalous.

Byron says you can only see his bruises "on the outside." This loving guy. He invites Leeta to a sleepover. She is hesitant but the refugees hug her into submission.

Dr. Steve questions the aide on why the Hayak medical records only go back 800 years. She is brisk with him. Something weird happened 800 years ago.

Stuttery telepath wanders off into the down below on his own. This will not end well. Some local peasants bully him and he uses his mind powers to defend himself. The ringleader guy does a hatecrime with a big metal pipe.

Dr. Steve's medical team tends to him. He thinks he will live. Byron is worried that his people may overreact. He and Leeta rush off.

The psychic refugees mind torture a mundane downbelower by making him think he is on fire. Byron breaks it up and Zack busts in on the scene, getting the wrong idea entirely.

Dr. Steve investigates the Hayak's secret genetic legacy.

Byron asks for his release so he might calm down his people, but Zack is not having it. Elsewhere, the plebe ringleader is psychically beaten to death. Should listened to him, Zack.

Dr. Steve's google search gets a hit. It is a Drozi log. Thete is a mysterious reference to "Hyakdo." Steve googles further. The curt aide from earlier kidnaps him. He has discovered their terrible seceret. It is a whole neanderthal genocide situation.

Not cool dudes. 40 million, jesus.

It came back to bite them, though. The birth rate is crashing because they can no longer inter-marry with the Hayakdo. Dr. Steve refuses to help them fix their wonky genome because they are a race of holocaust deniers. Ah, he will help them if they admit to their crimes. AH, they agree to his terms.

Dr. Steve will help them but is understandably a bit pissy about it.

Byron is released. Zack gives him some poo poo about the revenge killing on the way out. Byron points out that he tried to cool things down but Zack was not having it.

Leeta comforts Byron who is all emo about his people choosing the path of violence. He blames himself. Leeta recaps Byron's lameass past lives story. "Rest in me" is loving creepy as a come on, not gonna lie Leeta. They get ready to bone down and apparently Leeta is not big on underoos. She warns him ahead of time to prepare himself for some freaky Vorlon poo poo, that is what she is into now.

It gets weird. Leeta flashes back to her modification by the Vorlons. They seemed to be making half human hybrids at the same facility. The whole dirty hippy commune psychically pervs in on their lovemaking. Ok.

Crying during is weird, a whole psyschic refugee camp crying during is... it is not sexy.

Aha, the Vorlon's were not making hybrids, they made the ALL the telepaths. Oh poo poo. Byron is pissed that they were created as weapons for the SHADOW WAR. What with the Vorlons being gone, Byron wants reparations from the remaining forces of light. He is not going to be taking no for an answer ot is going to get terroristy.

So, it would seem Byron actually had pretty pure intentions until this revelation pushed him over the edge. He is still a prick, however. Babylon 4/:five:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

belatedly editing in an "unskip lomg post button" so you can bounce up and down should you wish no apologies

Trying fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mods, requesting name change to gul dukiss my rear end

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
speaking of, newly revealed Picard map heavily implies the Union is now part of the Federation

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

This Ain't It Chief describes me so well that I sent this to my non-trek watching fiance and he immediately pointed it out :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprising. Cardassia is pretty much in the position of post-WW2 Germany having gotten absolutely hosed up and their national myths pretty well shattered.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 5, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be surprising. Cardassia is pretty much in the position of post-WW2 Germany having gotten absolutely hosed up and their national myths pretty well shattered.

Perfect time for neoliberalism to sweep in! :toot:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Perfect time for neoliberalism to sweep in! :toot:

I guess it turns out Gul Dukat did do something wrong

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They were halfway there with the civilian government anyway weren't they?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pick posted:

speaking of, newly revealed Picard map heavily implies the Union is now part of the Federation
Do you have a link

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do you have a link

Otherwise, weird to offset only the Romulan Star Empire, Klingon Empire, Tholians, and "badlands".

extremely lol if they lean into the Tholians

They won't, though, because Picard, by dint of even being about Picard, will be based largely on cultural legacy of TNG than TNG per se. It will have the things that mooks generally remember and little if any meaningful continuity to TNG.

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 5, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hey it's Data! You remember Data!

Hey it's 7 of 9! You remember Seven of Nine!

Hey it's Klangorns! You remember the Klangorns!

Make it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So they're actually acknowledging DS9? :aaa:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Bullshit that the Tholians control that much territory.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"After that sad circumstance where a man whose name we forgot re-set the timeline such that all was as if it had never been, except that everyone on exploded but otherwise forgotten space station 'Doop Space No' suddenly died--"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That map is weird unless it's the angle. It makes it look like Ferengi space is now in the UFP. I also assume this is post-Romulus destruction so I'm surprised there is a full Romulan Empire still.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Having another look at that map makes me wonder what that demilitarised zone is for if it isn't between the Federation and Cardassian Union anymore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

That map is weird unless it's the angle. It makes it look like Ferengi space is now in the UFP. I also assume this is post-Romulus destruction so I'm surprised there is a full Romulan Empire still.

Ferengi don't maintain military borders tho

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I wanna see what's going on at HDMI near Ferenginar.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The DMZ is inside the Federation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think putting the UFP symbol at the bottom is throwing off some perceptions because most of it is at the top of the map.

Also the DS9 area doesn’t make a lot of sense for a variety of reasons. Another is that Chintoka is the system the AQ powers took as their foothold in Cardassian space after they took back the station so having it be further away from Cardassia itself than even Bajor is dumb and furthermore