Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I see there's been some chat about Monowear bands and I've actually been looking at the "deployant" variant of their leather bands.

https://www.monoweardesign.com/collections/shop/products/deployant-band

It gets rid of my big complaint with a lot of leather bands in that you don't have a leather "flap" hanging off the back of your wrist, often mitigated poorly by shoddily made loops that stay in place for all of three seconds. Picked one up, think a normal brown strap will look nice with the space grey watch.

Don't buy the Best Buy brand Platinum straps... they're poo poo, and the leather doesn't even fit between the lugs properly so it looks like cheap garbage. To be expected of $10 Amazon leather watchbands, but Best Buy is known for overpriced garbage.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Siri has become quite slow for me. Specifically adding reminders. I can’t remember it previously doing this “Checking with reminders...” delay message and it generally isn’t instantaneous the way it used to be. Frustrating. I’ve tried a restart. Might re-pair if you guys chime in and tell me it’s instant for you.

Like if you do a “Hey Siri, remind when I get home to take the trash out” - does it instantly add it for you or do you get a delay and have to sit there waiting for it?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SeANMcBAY posted:

Siri and Apple Maps works great for me but I do live in California though so maybe that has something to do with it. It rarely fucks up.

I'm pretty sure that's the actual reason. Apple Maps is rock solid, better-than-google in much of CA and the bay area especially, in my experience.

I've also used Apple Maps in various other states and it usually sucks. I've had it direct me to completely non-existent roads multiple times, including major cities like Portland, Seattle etc.

But yeah in CA it's the poo poo, and the special mapping they've been doing for supported locales is amazing:

In most other places I've tried outside of CA, stick to google. I also love how they map the stop signs and stoplights now, but maybe Google does that too.

What's kind of funny is that people even in the bay aren't that aware that Apple Maps has gotten better. I work a few minutes from apple and even people here see my carplay nav and they're like "what the poo poo is that?" People are still pretty down on apple maps, not that I can blame them too much.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 2, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh and by the way I updated to 6.0.1 on my S5 today and I got through a 8 hour workday + commute with around 65-70% battery life, so at least for me it seems worlds better, YMMV

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Taima posted:

Oh and by the way I updated to 6.0.1 on my S5 today and I got through a 8 hour workday + commute with around 65-70% battery life, so at least for me it seems worlds better, YMMV

I updated yesterday and charged to full, and I'm now sitting at 45% after 26 hours (AOD off, but still).

Which is much, much better than before, when I was getting about 18 hours out of a full charge, even with AOD off.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah 6.0.1 fixed my poo poo

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I went fishing yesterday and finally had to mute my watch after 3 "It looks like you're on an elliptical machine!" notifications. Lifted weights in the early morning and then spent most of the day standing still or slowly moseying around in waders and apparently I took 21.753 steps.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Upgraded from a Series 1 to a Series 5 last week. The difference in usability is UNREAL. Like, the apps...function. Like apps. No noticeable delays.

That said, the always-on display got a little distracting for me, so I've turned it off for now. (I know, I could probably use a 4 then.)

Maybe I need to find a better face? I'm using the Infograph Modular right now.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

blast0rama posted:

There is no better face.

As a non-watch wearer for decades convert it's the one major complaint I have about the Apple Watch- the faces are for the most part shiny garbage.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Modulars are gross. Infograph supremacy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Infograph modular with all complications turned off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love the Siri face and find it really useful. I like Meriden for when I’m feeling analog.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm still stuck on Modular because one of the apps I need to run on the watch never updated with the newer fancy complications so all the faces that rely on those are useless.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

blast0rama posted:

Upgraded from a Series 1 to a Series 5 last week. The difference in usability is UNREAL. Like, the apps...function. Like apps. No noticeable delays.

That said, the always-on display got a little distracting for me, so I've turned it off for now. (I know, I could probably use a 4 then.)

That's super interesting. Are you distracted by regular watches as well? If not, what makes the S5 more distracting? Did you think this might be a problem when you got the S5? What situations do you get in where it becomes a burden?

I would be pretty into hearing from other people who have turned off the always on functionality and their reasoning if they care to share. No specific reason, just curious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love the Siri face and find it really useful. I like Meriden for when I’m feeling analog.

Yeah, I always end up back on Siri face.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Taima posted:

That's super interesting. Are you distracted by regular watches as well? If not, what makes the S5 more distracting? Did you think this might be a problem when you got the S5? What situations do you get in where it becomes a burden?

I would be pretty into hearing from other people who have turned off the always on functionality and their reasoning if they care to share. No specific reason, just curious.

I don't get distracted by regular watches - I think this might be an Apple Watch thing.

My brain was trained by the Series 1 "if I see something on screen, I need to check it"...and now there's something always on.

I didn't really think it'd be a bother. Maybe I need to "retrain" myself, if you will?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh yeah, I can totally see that being an issue.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm still waiting on my watch. Post your watch faces, please!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Housh posted:

Just using the Siri face, it ain't nothing special. That one and the chronograph are my favorites.

Also, anyone have any ideas why calendar events are duplicated on my watch? When I go into Calendar.app on iPhone, it shows my usual work meetings, but they're all doubled up on the watch. So, like, for tomorrow, my watch says I have 4 events, but it's only two meetings.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have been using the simple face after using the modular ones for a while. I like it a lot better.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 2, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I’m bad at reading analog

I hope I’m not alone.

:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, I have to stop and think about it too long to make it worth it. I never got the ability to just glance at a clock and see the time, I gotta translate in my head.

Though analog clocks do look nice.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm old, and remember that in kindergarten it was one of the first things they taught us since all clocks were analog, in the school at least.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I’m basic on the s2 but want to change things up when the s5 gets here.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I wish Apple would steal the pebble’s old watch face which was as digital and conversational as it gets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rusty posted:

I'm old, and remember that in kindergarten it was one of the first things they taught us since all clocks were analog, in the school at least.

I grew up in a world of analog clocks too. I just never got fast at reading them. :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I like the analog faces on round-faced smartwatches but it's a bit more awkward on the Apple Watch. I think a digital face works best on it, but I hope one day Apple embraces the round display.

If I want a true analog face, I have a whole stock of old Russian watches to wear, so there's that.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just like the way the simple watch face looks, I don't care if it's analog or digital. And probably 99% of my watch use is with the four complications I have on the corners.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 2, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I switch between Siri, California, and Infographic Modular depending on how I'm feeling or what I'm doing.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I love the new sundial face. I’ll probably switch to California or infographic once I get sick of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really like Meridian with the white background and a single color (soft white right now). Looks clean when dimmed/"off" and pops when the screen turns on.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can I use the XL sports band I got with my 42mm series 1 with a 44mm series 5?

Edit: Thanks vvvv

Gunder fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 3, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s in the OP

42mm = 44mm
38mm = 40mm

Band size is all that matters, and there are just two sizes.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Housh posted:

Here is the riff on California that I'm using. I'd use Infograph Modular if California didn't exist. While Meridian and Infograph look cool, I can't tell the time on them isn't on an hour marker. Even on California, I wish the minute/seconds markers were the same color as the hour markers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s super dumb if you use Infograph in anything not black/white, it changes all your complications to black/white.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My Ti s5 that has expected delivery end of November just shipped. Said it will be here by Friday.

I’m loving stoked.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

Said it will be here by Friday.
Hope you're home to sign for it!

I was home yesterday for my Nike one. But apparently didn’t hear the UPS guy. I randomly checked tracking at some point and saw "delivery attempted" three minutes prior :suicide:

Should’ve thought to change it for pickup at the nearby UPS Store when I got the tracking number. Well I’ll be picking mine up Monday now! :downs:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, I figure even the Friday estimate might be overshooting it. I'll keep an eye on UPS and make sure someone is home if it comes early this week.

What's the transfer process? I will be going from a S2. Do you guys just set it up as another watch? I guess most of the data is pulled from my phone.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Housh posted:

Yeah, I figure even the Friday estimate might be overshooting it. I'll keep an eye on UPS and make sure someone is home if it comes early this week.

What's the transfer process? I will be going from a S2. Do you guys just set it up as another watch? I guess most of the data is pulled from my phone.

The watch backs up so you can just tell it to use your old watch as the restore target.

That said, you’re mostly transferring notification settings and faces. Everything else is pretty watchphone centric. Since you’re getting the new form factor you got a bunch a new faces available you didn’t have.

I’ve always restored mine. I went S2->S4->S5 and did the restore every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

To be clear, when you un-pair a watch, it automatically takes a backup in the background without telling you. Then you just select that backup when you pair your new watch.