Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Randler posted:

All mainstream finance articles about frugal millenials buying houses in their 30s have parental backing or inheritances involved. You can make a drinking game of counting how many paragraphs it takes for the buried lede to surface.

The US has the same sort of lovely early retirement articles and the final paragraphs give away info that there parents gave them 200K for downpayment/free house to start their passive income slum lord empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

etalian posted:

The US has the same sort of lovely early retirement articles and the final paragraphs give away info that there parents gave them 200K for downpayment/free house to start their passive income slum lord empire.

We also have articles on people climbing the ladder from the mail room up to being VP of marketing (getting one promotion per week, in their parents' company)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i am just not sure about this jonathan pie fella

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Grape posted:

A good way to gain class conscious is to hop on Zillow and check out the prices in the scryscrapery parts of Manhattan.

refresh this every week for a nice boost: https://bit.ly/30KEx1z

Goa Tse-tung has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Oct 5, 2019

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

oliwan posted:

One of the dumbest and actually most insidious aspects of British culture is the obsession with buying your own house and getting on the "property ladder"

It makes sense once you've had a British landlord

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bryter posted:

It makes sense once you've had a British landlord

I mean I get it but it's all part of the system. Normal countries protect renters so that landlords are bound to very strict rules to make life as easy as possible for the renter.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan posted:

I mean I get it but it's all part of the system. Normal countries protect renters so that landlords are bound to very strict rules to make life as easy as possible for the renter.

*in American/Canadian/English/Australian/New Zealand voice* But if we enact laws that limit the landlords' abilities to gently caress their tenants, then those laws will affect me once I'm a rich. And I will definitely be rich because I work hard!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, there's no way a 27yr old buys a house in the uk in 2019 without some serious cash backing from their parents.

I could take in a lodger myself but I really don't see how a few hundred quid a month balances out having some stranger hanging out in your house on a semi-permanent basis.

Nah, there's loads of places that offer the "help to buy" scheme, especially new build shoe box estates. I know a couple of young lads who I work with who just got brand new 3 bedroom places on a new build estate and pay less than £500 a month mortgage. Not sure how that works but I have to admit I was pretty surprised at how cheap it was to get roped into a life of mortgage servitude.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Viruswithshoes posted:

dammit Jim I’m a brexit, not a brexit

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

refresh this every week for a nice boost: https://bit.ly/30KEx1z

I was just looking at the $7m one and I like how there's a 6-foot-by-6-foot "foyer".

That said the prices seem marginally better than central London, if you ignore the overpriced ones.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

oliwan posted:

Imo, all housing should be:

- owner occupiers
- council housing
- uni students doing their year living in a damp, dilapidated terrace and attempting to maintain a weekly cleaning/ washing up rota

And nothing else :colbert:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

You enter a room, there are POLISH everywhere. What do you do?

>Look around

You see one, maybe two dozen Poles milling about what used to be a proper English pub. Pints of cloudy ale and heaving plates of wonchers in speckle-gravy have been replaced with pierogi and wodka. A breeding sow wallows in what was once a shrine to Margarat Thatcher. You see an exit to the east.

>Close borders

Just as you try to close all human movement in an out of your nation party to a common economic union, a brigade Winged Hussars crest a nearby heath. Nearby women and children weep as the raiding party of slavs garrote you from horseback. GAME OVER

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sorry to interrupt with some more insanity.

https://twitter.com/PaulLomax/status/1180396210152181760

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes... YES

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
We shall soon discover that brexit repeats itself, and the last country it devoured was Atlantis.:wth::wth:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hyperborexit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Build up the EU and make the UK pay for it!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
lol if you think there will be any businesses in the UK after brexit

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

boris could only dream of being Ursarker Creed

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i don't know why i did this

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i don't know why i did this

because you're awesome

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Brexit, you fools!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
what is a Boris? A miserable little pile of brexits.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

VomitOnLino posted:

I made a thing...

Edit: fixed expression

You took my shitpost and made it amazing.
:perfect:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

this seems relevant

https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/comments/ddsqb3/a_flag_used_in_the_english_civil_war_mockingly/

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

What

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1180655300388495360?s=09

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
show the old bird whos boss, bojo :arghfist::britain:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doc Hawkins posted:

i am just not sure about this jonathan pie fella

I thought it was crazy that he still had a job after all his rants kept getting leaked online. But then I found out he's not a real reporter, he's an actor, and all those videos were staged. And now I don't understand why anybody ever cared about them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I thought it was crazy that he still had a job after all his rants kept getting leaked online. But then I found out he's not a real reporter, he's an actor, and all those videos were staged. And now I don't understand why anybody ever cared about them.

The only trustworthy investigative report was Borat.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ah, the cuck-barrel, famed English export.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
the uk’s constitutional system is highly reliant on tradition/convention rather than written law. this all works well until someone with no regard for convention (or anything really) comes along like Boris.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

oh wow who could have seen this coming ? :rolleyes::rolleye::rolleye:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the uk’s constitutional system is highly reliant on tradition/convention rather than written law. this all works well until someone with no regard for convention (or anything really) comes along like Boris.

this is gonna blow your mind but following rules because theyre written down is itself just a convention. one thats being ignored everyday

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Randler posted:

*in American/Canadian/English/Australian/New Zealand voice*

as a citizen of one of these nations, i hate all these lovely counties

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You come at the... queen? You'd best not miss?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

the queen is going to intercede by locking jezza up in the tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

a dog in a barrell??

paging vexillologists to the thread