Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Nice drawings!

I would say that generally, sleeker reads futuristic. With that in mind, the billowiness of the skirt looks more like something from the past to me.

For what you're going for, option D is the best choice, but you could probably dress it up a bit by adding higher boots, and leggings.
Maybe a buttoned up version of the jacket?

Thanks! I'll try to do some more designs with those suggestions on stream tonight.

https://stream.shinmera.com

Will be live for the next two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Franchescanado posted:

Look how fuzzy it looks from the bleeding.

Yeah, I use ink most of my pieces on watercolor and have never had an issue with bleeding like I have with these pieces. I never use Bristol paper because it buckles immediately with wet media, but this pad of Strathmore Bristol 300 series has been sitting on my shelf for over a year now unused, which is why I wanted to try it with these ink pieces.

Went back to day #1 where I also used the pentel pocket brush and yes, that bleeds a bit. I think it is the ink that is not that kind to paper. Try india ink and a kolinski brush?

Second drawing in a row where the end result makes me happy, I am obviously in the curve where my observation skills are lagging behind the drawing skills.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Third batch.

Still not quite sure. I like the coat from H a lot but it might be a bit much. Otherwise G is alright, if I can figure out something a bit better for the skirt and boots.

More feedback would definitely be appreciated still!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

All ya'll are killing it for Inktober this year.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Monstober day 4: Vampires

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Shinmera posted:

Third batch.

Still not quite sure. I like the coat from H a lot but it might be a bit much. Otherwise G is alright, if I can figure out something a bit better for the skirt and boots.

More feedback would definitely be appreciated still!

I think it might be the way you've drawn the headbandso it looks a bit like one of those paper hats, but to me, E and G read more like waitresses than detectives, and F like a future nurse. It would be nice to see something future-technologish or apocalypse-scroungetogetherly on the character. Layzor armband? Spiky shoulder pad? Knee-torn leggings? (I don't know how much realism you're going for, but a short skirt on its own would not be my first choice if I was a detective) A wide-brim hat with technological bullshit or something like that? Boots on F would be good futureboots. The coat is definitely not too much, it gives a detective vibe to the character.

my buddy Superfly posted:

Monstober day 4: Vampires

:supaburn: YES THIS IS IT IT IS THE BEST MONSTER EVER

fishdinner posted:

Tomorrow's "official" prompt is "Freezing." What are your best tips on drawing ice, or things in ice, in only black and white?
Googling about and mostly getting only colour tutorials.

I know I'm hopelessly too late, but my favourite art trick for when you can't get advice quick enough (like now) or you're not too keen on a prompt is to take the definition and start stretching 'till you get something you wanna do. It's a smartass thing to do but you do not owe anyone anything when you're doing prompts for fun.

Observe: I did not wanna do some goddamn Frozen cold bullshit for inktober today.

So it's a freeze-frame of a dude frozen in fear. Because Spider-Man is having him for dinner tonight.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
How could I resist for today's prompt?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I know I'm hopelessly too late, but my favourite art trick for when you can't get advice quick enough (like now) or you're not too keen on a prompt is to take the definition and start stretching 'till you get something you wanna do. It's a smartass thing to do but you do not owe anyone anything when you're doing prompts for fun.
You can ask Google image search for help by adding keywords and see what they come up with.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I don't have proper inking supplies, but I do have... brightly colored gel pens and a very cheap sketchbook. We make do!

why have i expressed mindless with a t-rex skeleton talking selfies? idk either really.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Inktober: Build.

coolusername posted:

why have i expressed mindless with a t-rex skeleton talking selfies? idk either really.

It's because it's a deep-cutting commentary on how we entertain ourselves with superficial technological marvels as we head inevitably to our extinction, the extinction event being driven due to our growing need for superficial technological marvels. It shows both your desire to live and be seen by others (with cute effects on) but also how dead you are to the world. OBVIOUSLY.

I'm always ready to art-bullshit on any pic. HMU if you can't find meaning in your work.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron posted:

You can ask Google image search for help by adding keywords and see what they come up with.

Oh, and sometimes I even go to thesaurus.com and find other words to GIS on while still in the spirit of the prompt. Kinda.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Nice!

Nice BS too! I remember you doing this for a moth with half a wing once.

My build:

This is tools to build on yourself, a symbol used by Freemasons around the world.

I considered doing "build()" but I was unsure how to express this magical yet insidious method in a painting.

fishdinner
Jul 26, 2019

$5.99 Chips Extra

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Observe: I did not wanna do some goddamn Frozen cold bullshit for inktober today.

So it's a freeze-frame of a dude frozen in fear. Because Spider-Man is having him for dinner tonight.

Haha thanks, I wasn't so much looking for inspiration as "good ways to draw ice good" but I guess I worded it poorly.

Today is #build. I made a lot if mistakes on this and I hate it but it was pretty rushed.

https://twitter.com/NelsBenson/status/1180534591179771904?s=19

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

fishdinner posted:

Haha thanks, I wasn't so much looking for inspiration as "good ways to draw ice good" but I guess I worded it poorly.

Today is #build. I made a lot if mistakes on this and I hate it but it was pretty rushed.

https://twitter.com/NelsBenson/status/1180534591179771904?s=19

Nay, dear artgoon, 'tis I who hath not worded poo poo too well. I was trying to say "I can't give you ways to draw ice good (because of time restrictions, and totally not because of any inability to draw ice), but I can tell you how to do something completely different instead and make it fit".

That's an adorable giant robot though, can't wait to see it destroy a city!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

New inktober drawing. Just seeing where my mind takes me rather than going after prompts. I call him Orbo.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Inktober #4 - Freeze

Sketchbook cartridge paper can't cope with drawing gum it turns out :( Had to do a bodge fix on her face. A shame, the coat was coming along really well.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Hi everyone, long time lurker and have now finally worked up the courage to post something. I went to art school, but years of working corporate after not being able to find work in a creative field drained my motivation to actually make anything for far too long. I would have creative spurts that would lead to maybe one or two pieces before the grind wore me down again. It's been super inspiring looking at all of the art in this thread, so last night made this drawing:

No planning or sketching, just going for it with a pen was so liberating! I'm looking forward to my next one.

Love these! Portraiture has always been one of my favorites.

Thank you! :)
I love your bunny, it's a great design and captivating.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

YESSSS. And I feel like I'm being eaten by a thousand million shivering furry holes
Really nice drawing!

Past couple days:

Day 4

Day 5

It seems like I'm also doing two Inktobers simultaneously, because I keep drawing these doggos with brush pens.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Chip McFuck posted:

New inktober drawing. Just seeing where my mind takes me rather than going after prompts. I call him Orbo.

I'm digging Orbo

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Had a hard time coming up with today's idea for the 'build' prompt...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’m already behind on inktober, but I did another kind of drawing

heavy liquid posted:

Past couple days:

Day 4

Day 5

Rad

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Plz keep traditionaling thx

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Inktober!

I didn't think about how to depict the water's surface from below until after I started, so I just didn't. :geno:

I hope the texture here looks anything like ice.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Inktober Day 4 Freeze

Little late. I’m phone posting.

Inspired by the liquid nitrogen face smash death in Jason X, since it’s spooky season.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is Corel Painter any good these days? I used it a lot back when it was still Metacreations Painter 5.5, but then after 6 they removed the watercolor brush I loved. Anyway, Corel Painter 2019 is on Humble Bundle for 3 more days for $25 so I was wondering if it was worth that much, or if its functionality has been entirely subsumed by CSP/Procreate/PS.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

considering the only reason most people who professionally digital paint don't use corel is because of its massive pricetag, getting it for $25 is a real pro move (and also 50% discount to the upgrade to 2020 version which makes it like a billion times faster since they finally figured out how to use the GPU for processing)

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.
Tryna get flush w inktober, means 2 drawings a day for a couple days.
Not doing the prompts or anything, just getting drawing is my goal.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This is great, the proof Donald is using meth again

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.

aahahahah
good job!

Keetron posted:

This is great, the proof Donald is using meth again

Thanks!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm too lazy to get out my nice paints so I used my daughter's crayola watercolors lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

three trump moon

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oooh, that's gorgeous! The colours are so ethereal, it really feels glowing and enchanted!

Here's the opposite:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

lofi posted:

Oooh, that's gorgeous! The colours are so ethereal, it really feels glowing and enchanted!

Here's the opposite:

Oh that's really nice. I need to buckle down and do some solely black and white drawings.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Thank you, you have redeemed us all. Such pretty colours too. How long did you need to spend gazing at the abyss to get this done?

Lovechild of Donald Duck and the Skeksis. Did you use a different ink for inside the mouth, or is that just where it mixed with the blue sketch?

Franchescanado posted:

Inktober Day 4 Freeze

Sweeet. What gel pen are you using for the white? Is it any good? I've bought several different kinds (from aliexpress, to test them out) and they've all got trouble with the flow stopping mid-stroke. Or the flow not starting at all.

Nicely done, keeping the perspective tight is real difficult in long small objects.

dupersaurus posted:

Plz keep traditionaling thx

I'll try for inktober. FOOORRR INKTOBERRRRR (I already don't know where the heck I'm supposed to shove the ones I've made argh I need to buy more container-furniture.)

heavy liquid posted:

YESSSS. And I feel like I'm being eaten by a thousand million shivering furry holes

Hehey, whaddup fellow old :hfive: I was so sure no-one would get that one.
Also I love this dog, A+ would pet the suspicious pooch. There's worse ways to spend an inktober.

Chip McFuck posted:

Wanna spin some records with Orbo.

As for me, Inktober - Husky could be nothing but:

The paper I made this on is actually a nice light blue, but my cellphone colour-corrected it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I wanna say half an hour or so, but I'm numb and broke brained so goatse didn't even register as anything but lines and tones.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Sweeet. What gel pen are you using for the white? Is it any good? I've bought several different kinds (from aliexpress, to test them out) and they've all got trouble with the flow stopping mid-stroke. Or the flow not starting at all.

Have you tried the Uniball Sigma white gelpen, I understand this is like the standard and most used on. I still don't really like it but it get's the job done.

For husky I could only think of this. In other news: I suck at drawing animals.

huge upside: I read articles on dogsled races and watch youtube of very happy doggo's running in the snow.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Gelly Roll is the best white marker I've used by a long shot. Uniball are alright, posca are trash.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Thank you! It's more beautiful than I could have ever imagined!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Finally up to date! Probably won't last, but it's nice while it does.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Almost caught up. Today has had some really weird energy, we'll see how it translates into my drawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Still trying to get caught up on inktober. Stupid job getting in my way :argh:

Bait