Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

I feel like the show would benefit greatly from the addition of actual other characters, not one just mentioned by the narrator, and exploration of other evidence forms, like the recording in Lost Johns' Cave. If that kind of this is coming, I will stick with it.

There is a pretty steady buildup in the cast - the show usually follows the formula of having a statement from one perspective as the centerpiece of the episode, but we get more people reading statements, statements directly from the person giving them, and much more in the way of pre- and post-statement conversation involving multiple people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Earth Break is really loving good y'all. I was so engrossed in it during my run this morning that I ended up going way past my turnaround point. Besides the incredible production value the writing is great, but what really knocks it out of the park is Jenny Slate's incredible performance. So many podcasts that are supposed to sound like found footage end up just sounding like someone reading from a script but with her you really do end up being lost in the fantasy of this being an actual piece of found footage.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

Oh, I also liked 15 and think the episode was really helped with the additional audio. I think my main issue with the show so far is that the stories are always written/read in the same voice. (I know the episodes have different authors, but it feels like there's very little distinction between the characters writing the statements.)

I feel like the show would benefit greatly from the addition of actual other characters, not one just mentioned by the narrator, and exploration of other evidence forms, like the recording in Lost Johns' Cave. If that kind of this is coming, I will stick with it.

There's only one writer for the show, the guy doing the archivist. But yeah, more, actual actors show up. If that's enough to keep you going then keep on until the first season finale, episode 40, imo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In terms of the voice of the statement makers (as opposed to the voices / actors reading the statements) you kind of have to roll with that particular writing style, it doesn't change much. Magnus' statements mostly take after old-style gothic horror, which emphasizes elevated language and use of epistolary format, both of which tend to flatten out characters.

The characters outside of the statements are (arguably) more distinct, and the statements themselves sometimes benefit when the IRL writer has clearly done research or had prior knowledge of a particular viewpoint or experience. But that's not the case with every or even most episodes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Michael's original voice in Magnus still haunts my dreams. It was so well done.

But yes, please stick with it, it's so loving good.

Montalvo posted:

Earth Break is really loving good y'all. I was so engrossed in it during my run this morning that I ended up going way past my turnaround point. Besides the incredible production value the writing is great, but what really knocks it out of the park is Jenny Slate's incredible performance. So many podcasts that are supposed to sound like found footage end up just sounding like someone reading from a script but with her you really do end up being lost in the fantasy of this being an actual piece of found footage.

I KNOW RIGHT?! I want MORE of it so bad! I wonder how much was scripted and how much was just her rambling, because it all sound so off the cuff. I know this absolutely isn't what they did but it would be really interesting if they did a found footage type show and actually let the people explore an area that had been "seeded" with props for them to talk about.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've been relistening to early Magnus and it's remarkable how immediately the metaplot kicks in- you just don't know enough about the universe to know what you're looking at.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The statements all sounding similar in tone is a combination of it being early and statements are forced out of you by an eldritch horror so it's compulsory which also can explain why everything is so matter of fact when people are watching horrible gruesome things happen

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I don't typically listen to serialized podcasts for whatever reason but I needed some background noise, so I have been starting to listen to a couple, but I digress the reason for the post is I have just been letting hello from the magic tavern play in the background while I work, I'm not typically a huge fan of improv comedy fan but this one episode, season 2 episode 41 Blue Chris-Must was loving amazingly funny. The two people the show notes say their names are Jessica McKenna and Zach Reino singing and whatnot were great. There's my story, ok bye.

And I looked it up they have their own podcast cool

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 18, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Try Mission to Zyxx. It has a similar style of improv humor except with scifi trappings instead.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mokinokaro posted:

Try Mission to Zyxx. It has a similar style of improv humor except with scifi trappings instead.

I will check it out

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

checking in to say earth break rules, I listened to it straight through after giving the first episode a try in the car the other day. I really wish there were more (WHAT WAS THE SKY SOUND?!), and boy howdy Jenny Slate has range.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cut my eyes into pieces, this is my last resort.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Pope Guilty posted:

I've been relistening to early Magnus and it's remarkable how immediately the metaplot kicks in- you just don't know enough about the universe to know what you're looking at.

I just listened to the first four episodes of Magnus Archives today, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Don't click unless you've listened up to ep. 110 of magnus: https://twitter.com/buzzhmm/status/1175152731155312640

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Droyer posted:

Cut my eyes into pieces, this is my last resort.

Give a statement, no leaving
Don't give a gently caress if the walls are bleeding

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Tweak posted:

checking in to say earth break rules, I listened to it straight through after giving the first episode a try in the car the other day. I really wish there were more (WHAT WAS THE SKY SOUND?!), and boy howdy Jenny Slate has range.

Seconding this. I binged it after reading this post and it's really great. The story they're telling ends well and is complete, but...do another one?

(Why was the sky orange?????)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I dropped Earth Break since they kept telling me to sub to their subscription box for the full story. Does it actually tell a stand alone story by the time it's done or does it just kind of stop?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The story as presented by the podcast definitely ends, but there's still some mysteries to be solved. What, you want her to single handedly fight off the alien menace and solve all the world's problems? It's more like saying "You like Iron Man? Get more Iron Man action in The Avengers!" It's not like they leave it on a cliffhanger that demands a subscription box. It's a full story.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I've never looked into the subscription box but my impression from the ads is that it's more about the world in which all this is happening, not even about Jenny Slate's character, so her story is fully contained in the podcast.

I'd maybe look into the box if they didn't stress the clues. I don't want to play alien invasion detective, I just want a good story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

effervescible posted:

I've never looked into the subscription box but my impression from the ads is that it's more about the world in which all this is happening, not even about Jenny Slate's character, so her story is fully contained in the podcast.

I'd maybe look into the box if they didn't stress the clues. I don't want to play alien invasion detective, I just want a good story.

I think it's the same company that also does a ghost story and murder mystery box. It's basically a game and you're expected to go on forums and pieces together the plots and such.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

Don't click unless you've listened up to ep. 110 of magnus: https://twitter.com/buzzhmm/status/1175152731155312640

This is loving sensational

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Droyer posted:

Also based on the most recent episode it's kind of a wonder that Gerard turned out as well as he did. Whenever we see him he's cleaning up some supernatural fuckup like a metalhead Dean Winchester; this doesn't sound like how Mary tried to raise him.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
You know how after Jon spoke to Gerry, the whole series was sort of in better focus? I think we'll have something like that next season about Gertrude and her activities. Something isn't right.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You know how after Jon spoke to Gerry, the whole series was sort of in better focus? I think we'll have something like that next season about Gertrude and her activities. Something isn't right.

Seems a little bit late in the game given the five season plan. But that would be a great reason for another run of the series.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am nearing the end of the second season of Magnas Archives and the whole arch dealing John's decent in justifiable paranoia and how that takes a toll on his relationships and sanity is excellent. The scene where he plays the tapes that had Sasha was record on is just heartbreaking. This serries has been a very rewarding experince.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I just listened to episode 2 of Archive 81: Left of the Dial, and I couldn't make out a single god drat word said by Trucker. I had to look up the transcript to understand what happened in that scene.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

I just listened to episode 2 of Archive 81: Left of the Dial, and I couldn't make out a single god drat word said by Trucker. I had to look up the transcript to understand what happened in that scene.

He gets a little clearer over time.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Ratatozsk posted:

Seems a little bit late in the game given the five season plan. But that would be a great reason for another run of the series.

Keep in mind, that all happened THIS season. I feel there will be huge reveals and turns by the end.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
gently caress the public radio alliance. Tanis has "released" a new season.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

gently caress the public radio alliance. Tanis has "released" a new season.

:yikes:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ok, which one of you fuckers has stitcher and wants to hate listen to this thing in advance?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Ratatozsk posted:

Ok, which one of you fuckers has stitcher and wants to hate listen to this thing in advance?

I've already volunteered as tribute.

The Last Movie season 2 has already wrapped up. They're doing weekly episode releases on Stitcher so it'll probably be arriving on iTunes somewhat sooner than expected. TLM season 2 was an interesting story that actually made much more sense than last season, but was also more of a connected spin-off story. Two really annoying new interns are the main characters this time with Nick and MK playing backup. Nick sounds unbelievably loving tired and checked-out the whole time, but that actually winds up being foreshadowing for the season premiere of Tanis.

The story follows a bizarre film that keeps appearing and disappearing in the YouTube "important videos" playlist that has an incongruous/impossible listed runtime of 2 hours and 76 minutes. After managing to capture an offline clip of one of the scene in the movie, they discover that it's impossible. There are people in it who disappeared in 1995, devices on screen that weren't available until 1998, designer outfits that didn't exist until 2015, was apparently written by someone who disappeared in 2017, and shot by Salvador Lorenzo, who appeared to have died in the first season of The Last Movie. Everybody directly involved seems to have been brought into the project by a headhunting email and disappeared shortly thereafter. Then the PRA folks discover the clip appears to be mutating and changing before their eyes.

They conclude that the movie is a cancerous idea that emerged from the zeitgeist and managed to become a sentient entity in some capacity that exists outside of time, sucking people and detritus in like a katamari to grow and evolve.

The season premiere of Tanis is kind of odd. Apparently after the end of last season, Nick was found wandering on a side of a road in northern Russia with no idea how he got there, and once he's returned to the states poo poo gets really crazy and he tries to hide away a bit. He learns that during his sleep therapy, his therapist was intravenously dosing him with a cocktail of hallucinogens while he was under hypnosis. Both Teslanova and Section seem to have totally withdrawn from the area and activity in the beach seems to have subsided. Nick is left to wonder if he "assembled the map and saved the world" as Veronika had told him to, and simply had no memory of it and had been subsequently shat out by Eld Fen on the side of the road in Russia.

On top of that, his doctor is EXTREMELY concerned for his brain, and he decides he's done. Then things start happening that pull him back in. He's visited by a pair of "men in black" types claiming to be from Section, who invite themselves in to read a prepared statement on tape and then leave fairly abruptly. Then, MK locates another buried novel manuscript called "Pacifica," seemingly unconnected to Morgan Miller's novel, but has relevance to the investigation. Another drat manuscript to dole out chapters over the air.

Finally, one of the MIB from Section visits Nick in an off-the books capacity to ask for his help. His daughter went missing while exploring another breach called the "Garrison anomaly" in northern British Columbia, and hopes he can use Nick's weirdo abilities to find her.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So does TLM season 2 actually connect to season 1 in a meaningful way? Is it good?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Pope Guilty posted:

So does TLM season 2 actually connect to season 1 in a meaningful way? Is it good?

It's tangentially connected. I'd say it's better than the first season overall. More coherent and interesting story.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Is anyone else worried that Eskew will never update again? It's been two months since they released the latest episode. I've listened to the whole series twice since then.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's had a few longer breaks around episodes that needed multiple/different VAs than David so I wouldn't worry just yet.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Trauma-core panic-fest podcast Vast Horizon has wrapped season 1. Nolira Eck is awful, her prisoner is awful, the ship AI is probably evil, or running a psyop on her.

It was an interesting trip, but too much time was spent on too little, and the backstory was not interesting than current events, which made the split between past and present annoying.

The series could have benefited from a military consultant and an editor. A lot of the dialog was very forced in a "I'LL USE MY HAND TO PICK UP THE GUN YOU HAVE DROPPED"sort of way. And the last episode had a lot of this, what with the ship AI taking over nolira's cybernetic limbs and then shooting nolira in the goddamn hand.

Strong C+, not unsubscribing. Hopefully they tighten up season 2.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

boo_radley posted:

Trauma-core panic-fest podcast Vast Horizon
Can someone explain to me why the producers felt it necessary to have the lead actor deliver so many lines in chinese? At first I thought it was to point out that she comes from a bilingual society, but then it seemed that no, actually that's just what they speak where she's from. So... why do we need to be reminded of that several times per episode?

On the same note, why the hell did the helper AI back home (the chirpy tea assistant) have a borderline offensive caricature of a Chinese accent while speaking exclusively English? Nobody else did.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I was watching the episode numbers of the Magnus Archive and noticing that the end of the season was fast approaching. Was wondering when the ramp up towards the season finale was going to start and then this week’s episode hit. Very interested to see how this plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

That was probably one of the best Magnus Archive episodes ever. Really really good. sometimes it does get me how often he starts a sentence with "Still, ...". I don't think I've done that ever in my life. Is it a UK thing or a him thing?