Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

Looks like the front fell off

Back fell off too

no commies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sweet Roku

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am extremely appreciative of those Vetter bags. They look cool

I love em. Got them basically free along with the cage to lock them to. Had to have a key shop make some keys, now they open / shut / remove for when I’m not commuting or traveling.

Not everyone appreciates them though. I hit some railroad tracks hard enough to knock the right bag loose at ~30mph (Michigan 🙄) and in the two minutes it took me to circle around and recover the bag, some lunatic had dragged it out of the road and was football end zone spiking it onto the pavement to crack it open and get at what was inside (it was empty). He took off when he saw me riding up.

That bag now needs fiberglass repair to the back of it from the damage and the paint is heavily scraped from sliding around after the fall. It’s salvageable but really disappointing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you shake a box and it doesn't rattle, obviously that just means it's so jammed full of sweet loot that there's no room for anything to move in there!

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Cleaned up Vit's tail and installed some italian unobtainium turn signals.

Oh and it turns out the instagram machine also happens to be a blast to rip around town

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my next bike will likely be a svartpilen 701, they’re both such gorgeous bikes

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

When you include the functionality and rideability of the machine, it's simply an unbeatable value.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

When you include the functionality and rideability of the machine, it's simply an unbeatable value.

Not to mention the reliability and how easy they are to work on. Particularly compared to something like a honda or a yamaha!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

Not to mention the reliability and how easy they are to work on. Particularly compared to something like a honda or a yamaha!

He's already back, are you trying to give him an aneurysm

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

He's already back, are you trying to give him an aneurysm

whaaaa? I don't know what you're talking about.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

wrong thread!

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 5, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I tried to adjust my controls on the ninja 250 and angle them so they’re in line with my hands when I’m riding naturally, but I found I can’t angle my brake any lower because the bottom of my master cylinder hits the .. I don’t know what it’s called .. the rising stem that holds the actual handlebar. I tried to move the master cylinder over closer to the kill switch housing, but there isn’t enough clearance between the body of the master cylinder and kill switch housing to do that.. so I guess I just have to live with my brake being at a weird angle and keep lifting my fingers up when I want to grip the lever.

Unfortunate and disappointing.. I hope my next bike lets me set up a little more naturally.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Next person who says Hondas don’t have soul is gonna catch these hands. My ‘78 just launched a ball of flame from underneath.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Today I decided to change my muffler gasket because there was a leak from when I got run off the road last year that I never bothered to fix.

Wait a minute... That doesn't look right...

We're split right in half
It's making me crazy
A two-headed brat
Tied to the other for life

That bolt is actually a hex head. The part still resting in the bracket is completely seized. A pair of vice grips, propane torch, and a dremmel for slotting later, it ain't going ANYWHERE. Had to order an entirely new bracket that partzilla is probably gonna gently caress around with for like 2 weeks before they actually ship the drat thing, and meanwhile my bike is unrideably loud, because my cat is in the muffler and all I have on it now is basically a straight pipe.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You could McGyver it together with one of these until the new part comes in?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah do that. Those pipe clenches are cheap

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Clamps"

Sorry can't English today.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Put on a shitload of exhaust tape and added pipe clamps on top to compensate for questionable adhesive. I can now see the exhaust literally pulsing, but it'll live until the "correct" clamp gets here.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Made bedside table lamps out of the old sprocket and brake disc

Also took apart the rear caliper, lubed the moving bits and polished with acf50.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
Sold my CB500F and bought a Yamaha MT-09 in its stead.

That bitch is turbo fast, good lord.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Mostly got stuck in traffic and was sweating my rear end off. Then by the time I got out to the country roads over 2 hours later, the wind had kicked up and I was getting chilly. Almost became a featured clip for the next No Prisoners, which more the shame on me because I know how lovely Toronto drivers can get.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took it to the polls to vote :canada:

But also finally installed my second fuse box and ran a 12v accessory wiring harness. 5v USB charger is my first, and over the winter I’ll get around to installing my heated grips for spring.

Unfortunately there’s no elegant way I found to run a USB line from my ram mount to the USB charger so right now it’s just a random collection of zip ties along my clutch cable and other wires. Made sure nothing binds when I turn the wheel and I’ll live for functional over beautiful on my dumb beater bike.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 12, 2019

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Got my XR600R prepped for my annual get-together with buddies out in the desert.

Stock carburetor was giving me guff, so I said gently caress it and finally adapted an FCR onto it. Had to buy a new intake manifold from an XR650L and 3d print an adapter to get it to fit:

Tuned it a bit, still bogs when I crack the throttle open from completely closed but I'll figure that out later:

(that's rich baby!!)

Gas tank couldn't clear the new carb's throttle cable housing, so had to heat gun it and form it a bit:

(fits with a bit of coercion)

Buttoned it all up, and I'm ready for the trip!

Soon...

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

Got my XR600R prepped for my annual get-together with buddies out in the desert.

Stock carburetor was giving me guff, so I said gently caress it and finally adapted an FCR onto it.

Which FCR did you go with?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

trued my slightly out of round rim. did quite a bit of uhh high speed offroad out in idaho and wyoming and definitely managed to bonk some big rocks. rides perfect now :D

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

GeneticWeapon posted:

Which FCR did you go with?

Pulled it from a 2004 crf250, so I believe it should be a fcr-mx (ie not slant) 37mm. I hear the smaller ones have better low end torque, but eh it's not like I'm skilled enough to know the difference. Any of the FCRs should be a worthy upgrade over the Keihin PD.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Finally got my wheel back from being refurbished, added new sprocket and chain and put back on the bike. First step in a winter of rebuilding and learning. Next is steering head bearings and front brake rebuild.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed a shinko 705 to my front wheel after I trued it earlier this week. old one lasted just over 15000mi which included my 2400mi banff trip and 2600mi nashville trip. still my favorite gravel road / dry dirt tires

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
handlebar swap

edit
new kicks and some rattlecan spray

vvvv german engineered brake line routing

Withnail fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 19, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why does it have a hydraulic/pneumatic steering stem :raise:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They really take the phrase "solved problem" as a challenge, huh?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol at having to bleed your steering stem

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol at having to bleed your steering stem

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Withnail posted:

vvvv german engineered brake line routing
Worth remembering that this was the same company who engineered a cable operated hydraulic brake system around 1973

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao where did anyone ever get the idea that German engineering is somehow superior?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao where did anyone ever get the idea that German engineering is somehow superior?

Serious answer: Nazi WW2 propaganda, the shock of the fall of France, a thousand overly futuristic super weapons that never went anywhere, green Western troops coming home after meeting experienced German divisions and finally, operation paperclip all contributed to wrongly convincing a lot of people in the West that Germans are dangerously clever engineers, as opposed to meth addicts constantly trying to design their way around systemic problems.

Consider that nobody faps about Japanese engineering, despite Japanese vehicles being objectively the best from an engineering perspective and have been for some time, because they didn't have a bunch of scary super weapons and were defeated by Western technological superiority.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I put it in the shed for the winter :(

I mean it’s easy enough to take out if we get a warm weekend but still a mental bummer.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
stripped to bare, but I can't see my reflection

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Rev, are you gonna be ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you wanna polish that like a mirror, you need to sand it progressively to 4000 grit (do like 400-600-1000-1500-2000-4000 in sequence) and then use a polishing wheel with the proper compound.

It totally works, just takes forever.