Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beastie posted:

DQXI is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouF9o0rNtVc

ColdPie posted:

7-9 and 1-3 and MMOs are all trash. 4-6 and 12 are good. Any way you look at it, 10 is solidly in the top 5 of the whole series.

14's current expansion has a better story than most FF games, especially 10.

Emet Selch is one of the top FF characters period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
holy moly the last chapter of astral chain

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

whaley posted:

holy moly the last chapter of astral chain

It’s amazing how strong every Platinum game is at the end. I say this with every one I play.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the last hour or so of w101 alone justifies demand for a switch port

more people need to play that drat game

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

the last hour or so of w101 alone justifies demand for a switch port

more people need to play that drat game

this x 101

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone here have the new Satisfye and Skull & Co grips? I want to get one, and the Satisfye seems to be the best, but I hate that it has super large branding right on the front of it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Took a break from entering peoples homes and making a mess of their pots and barrels in dragon quest to ruin everyones lives in a small town as a horrible goose. In conclusion, the Nintendo Switch is a land of contrasts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm still really early in DQ11 but it feel like playing PS2 RPGs when I was a kid.

That's to say, I love it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I want all JRPGs RPGS games to have a job system

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i finally got to finishing links awakening today and like most zelda games I was instinctually a little bummed it was over, but at the same time I’m still glad I bought a physical copy

link between worlds was more fun for me (and released in 2013?? :drat:) but I do feel there was some certain cozy similarities between the links awakening redo and aLBTW, which makes sense

:)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Andrast posted:

uh yeh the job is having to play an rpg :rimshot:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Andrast posted:

I might play an Uncharted game if I could level up Nathan Drake as a Black Mage with a subjob of Red Mage for Dualcast.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh man Alliance Alive comes out in two days. When did the switch turn into a RPG machine?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

Oh man Alliance Alive comes out in two days. When did the switch turn into a RPG machine?

Is Alliance alive any good?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s written by the Suikoden guy so I have my eye on it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

It’s written by the Suikoden guy so I have my eye on it

I'm just wondering if anyone here has played it since it's a 3DS remaster

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Switch is the everything machine.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Andrast posted:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

strange how one of my posts ended up in your post history but I'll accept it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

if i could mash buttons and goofily chop monsters in dq11 like I could in dragon quest builders 2 ( the first dq thing I'd maybe ever played) I would be so down

auto battle is like a taunt. its almost there!!

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 6, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Mechanics are the worst. I like Dragon Quest where it basically plays itself. Less mechanics more story, crafting and collecting please

mostly the mechanics are almost always inscrutable without either doing a bunch of really tedious experimentation in-game, or equally tedious reading online. i always rather doubted many people at all enjoy battle mechanics, just based on how many supposed classics have stats and items which plain don't work.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Since the DxM thread is sort of dead-ish and I didn't see this posted here, DxM is getting more content:

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2019/10/01/daemon-x-machinas-roadmap-of-updates-i-check-it-here/

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Untitled Goose Game with a job system.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Mega64 posted:

i would play untitled goose RPG

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

hell yeah

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bulgakov posted:

if i could mash buttons and goofily chop monsters in dq11 like I could in dragon quest builders 2 ( the first dq thing I'd maybe ever played) I would be so down

auto battle is like a taunt. its almost there!!

it's a shame the Dragon Quest Heroes I + II thing that japan got on switch never got localised 'cause those are fun button mashing monster chopping dynasty warriors games with a lot of dragon quest flavour

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Box of Bunnies posted:

it's a shame the Dragon Quest Heroes I + II thing that japan got on switch never got localised 'cause those are fun button mashing monster chopping dynasty warriors games with a lot of dragon quest flavour

yeah. that sounds good!

all story in rpgs is bad and counting numbers is not my style but if given a combination of both while I have fun running jumping around mechanics with a button bash slashing through monsters gameplay I'd be good

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If anyone's hankering for some Super Mario Sunshine, might I suggest 100%-ing Seaside Kingdom in Odyssey?

All the water play, without those goddamned piantas.

:discourse:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If anyone's hankering for some Super Mario Sunshine, might I suggest 100%-ing Seaside Kingdom in Odyssey?

All the water play, without those goddamned piantas.

:discourse:

Mario Odyssey is a miracle game. I love it

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm thinking of picking up Dragon Quest XI (never played any of the series before) and downloading the demo as I've seen all the stuff about it being pretty long and saves carrying over.

Just checking, the demo doesn't have any missing features/content (outside of the 16bit mode I've seen mentioned) that blocks you out of stuff compared to starting the full game from scratch? Like missing items/quests, certain skills/moves/magic not being avaliable or not being able to use all the options? It's just a true chunk of the full game from the start (minus 16bit mode)?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yep. There's nothing you can miss.

Just make sure to check the quest log (+ button) for white highlighted quests as that means you can do them either right now or very soon.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Awesome, thanks!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'm just wondering if anyone here has played it since it's a 3DS remaster

I played it a few months ago and it is good. Characters were fun, story was decent, combat mechanics were interesting. There's a hint of suikoden in the way you collect a horde of NPCs, but I'm told it is mechanically really a saga game. I haven't played those so I don't know how well it succeeds at that, but I thought it held up well on its own.

There's a lot of interesting scenarios in the game that made it feel consistently novel. It stayed fresh throughout.

Also it has an optional character that is an arrogant penguin wizard and he is great. I guess it's a good year for horrible birds generally.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

BGrifter posted:

I might play an Uncharted game if I could level up Nathan Drake as a Black Mage with a subjob of Red Mage for Dualcast.

Uncharted is what happens if you only level "brawler" and "bullet sponge"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you care about Starlink, GameStop has the physical packs on deep discount.

Pilot/ship/weapon packs for about $6.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wish they would have remastered the "prequel" to Alliance Alive, The Legend of Legacy, mostly because it suffers from SaGa overcomplicated battle mechanics but also mostly because I want another RPG where I can be a frog man

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

organburner posted:

Since the DxM thread is sort of dead-ish and I didn't see this posted here, DxM is getting more content:

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2019/10/01/daemon-x-machinas-roadmap-of-updates-i-check-it-here/

Will Battle Mode have vs. AI?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The narrator in Bastion is awful and makes me want to quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

not a bot posted:

The narrator in Bastion is awful and makes me want to quit.

Then you probably should because the narrator in Bastion was widely praised and is considered one of the game's strong points. If you don't like that it isn't going to change.