Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

its because metal is shite so has its own festivals

Well I never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't Metallica headline glasto the other year?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Red Oktober posted:

Tried for 30 mins on Thursday and today with a load of devices, browsers etc, no luck. I wish they’d just use the standard queue software that everyone else does.

There are way less bus tickets than normal tickets. My friends all got the tickets they wanted today.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Last time I bought glasto tickets I saw a homes file edit on twitter that got you through the website instantly to buy tickets

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why is the UK's big "summer" music festival always scheduled for a time it is 100% guaranteed to be pissing it down, as opposed to, for example, May, when we reliably get some decent hot weather?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Firos posted:

There are way less bus tickets than normal tickets. My friends all got the tickets they wanted today.

Girlfriend and I had no luck today either :shrug: even with the link to take you straight through.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Would have thought Glasto would be too corporate for people in this chat to want to go to it.

Glastonbury is one of the least corporate festivals in this country. They don't allow advertising in the festival, they don't have a corporate sponsor (e.g the Virgin Festival) and their major partner is WaterAid. The worst they have is mobile phone charging tents and areas run by EE (I think).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why is the UK's big "summer" music festival always scheduled for a time it is 100% guaranteed to be pissing it down, as opposed to, for example, May, when we reliably get some decent hot weather?

Summer solstice

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Aphex- posted:

:can:

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Tried in a group of 12, and not one of us got through.

Honestly, would have been cool, but just all going to buy Greenman tickets instead; after the first hour of drinking, it'll make gently caress all difference anyway.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

What an evil, disgusting, spiteful woman.

Trans poster here and this sucks

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I have to say festivals like Glastonbury just seem like disgustingly crowded shitholes that would induce a dozen panic attacks on me because of all the crowds before it even started

Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to something like that I can't personally understand

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

forkboy84 posted:

I just watch the good acts on telly while quietly grumbling to myself at Glasto's continued bias against metal music because Michael Eavis thinks we're all violent psychopaths. The big jobby.

Such an arsehole. I listen to metal almost exclusively and haven't killed in weeks

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

I have to say festivals like Glastonbury just seem like disgustingly crowded shitholes that would induce a dozen panic attacks on me because of all the crowds before it even started

Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to something like that I can't personally understand

also trying to get to sleep while someone in a tent 2 feet from yours is throwing up and/or loving at maximum volume

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
All music is bad except the music I personally listen to, which I will not disclose at this point

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Same reason we've invented at least two sports that can't be played when it's raining, because British people are irredeemably loving stupid.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Angepain posted:

All music is bad except the music I personally listen to, which I will not disclose at this point

:hmmyes:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The chance of rain exponentially increases according to how many Brits there are standing in a field. It's basic physics.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Paup blood DOES have a valuation!

https://twitter.com/briggityboppity/status/1180607435553329157?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/briggityboppity/status/1180610510733099008

2% of the export economy is the literal blood of the poor lol.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
tired and flabby: ~ Fully automated luxury communism ~
wired and steely: The Plasmatarian Blood Crusade

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OwlFancier posted:

2% of the export economy is the literal blood of the poor lol.

Games Workshop is onto something.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

lol of course blood is a major industry, you can't make this poo poo up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

Undisclosed music SUCKS rear end and you suck and everyone you know sucks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pochoclo posted:

Big Blood

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd actually be interested to see where in the history of vampire myths they started becoming a metaphor for aristocrats, because they weren't always (unless you consider watermelons to be particularly aristocratic). It's an obvious metaphor, but who came up with it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suspect it probably evolved in a lot of places over time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would suspect it probably evolved in a lot of places over time.

Looking into it further, there does actually seem to be a single point of origin - The Vampyre, by John William Polidori (part of Byron and Shelley's literary circle). Most non-Western vampire traditions seem to have adopted the aristocratic vampire trope through exposure to Western literature - before then, they were treated more like zombies, with the 'supernatural aristocratic rear end in a top hat' role being filled by other monsters like fox spirits in the Far East.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

I'm going to disrupt it by seeking capitibus from major investors :chef:

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd actually be interested to see where in the history of vampire myths they started becoming a metaphor for aristocrats, because they weren't always (unless you consider watermelons to be particularly aristocratic). It's an obvious metaphor, but who came up with it?
The first English story about an aristocratic vampire was probably The Vampyre by Polidori (efb), and it did draw on the class themes of the time. A lot of the Eastern European vampires were just bad corpses, or corpses with the rites done rong, and had equal parts zombie in their archetype, they were wretched things that didn't even have the decency to wear evening dress.

Several of the current members of the upper house could be replaced with watermelons without much noticeable difference.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does that book not draw on a pre existing myth? Would genuinely be surprised if there wasn't at least one indigenous example of it given, y'know, how well it works. Proliferation leading it to eclipse other readings I'd expect sure, but invented whole cloth is surprising.

Though it's true there is a wide proliferation of stories about irritable dead people in basically every part of the world so I guess it makes sense that it would persist in that form.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 6, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Before modernity and modern capital the figure of the vampire was more about revenge (at an individual level) and those fuckers who keep doing Christianity wrong and saying the wrong words during funerals the bastards (at a systemic level).

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It’s from Marx you bozos. He might not have invented the trope but it’s everywhere because of him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Does that book not draw on a pre existing myth? Would genuinely be surprised if there wasn't at least one indigenous example of it given, y'know, how well it works. Proliferation leading it to eclipse other readings I'd expect sure, but invented whole cloth is surprising.

It drew on existing myths with different themes (vampires symbolised disease-carriers and serial killers, plus the usual cultural baggage of the risen dead). Shelley's set were political radicals (check out The Masque of Anarchy, where Labour got its current campaign slogan from) who saw how certain old folk-tales could work really well when repurposed towards their politics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s from Marx you bozos. He might not have invented the trope but it’s everywhere because of him.
Nah The Vampyre and the German Vampir craze predate Marx, but they were definitely at a social height in England and Prussia when Marx was a teen, which is where he got it from.

He broadened it from 'vampire as aristocrat' to 'vampire as capital in general' and removed the religious angle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't think so. The Vampyre came out fifty years before Das Kapital, and had spawned a thriving literary genre about awful supernatural aristocrats by the time Karl put pen to paper. Dracula may have been influenced by Marx, but its ties to pre-existing gothic literature are far stronger.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Pretty drat sure some Sumerian satirist played a song on a gishgudi comparing a rich merchant to the contemporary equivalent of a vampire in their folklore back in 2000 BC, it's not a far-fetched allegory by any means

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aphex- posted:

Yeah, 2014. And Napalm Death and Extreme Noise Terror played in 2018. Think Babymetal & Gojira played this year.

It's a start like, but until they have some goons in corpse paint being very, very silly I will never be satisfied.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Is everyone forgetting this guy, the vicious nobleman who's the actual inspiration for most of the Western vampire canon up to and including two of the more common names?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The wretched hive, Wikipedia notes:

quote:

In his entry for "Vampires" in the Dictionnaire philosophique (1764), Voltaire notices how the mid-18th century coincided with the decline of the folkloric belief in the existence of vampires but that now "there were stock-jobbers, brokers, and men of business, who sucked the blood of the people in broad daylight; but they were not dead, though corrupted. These true suckers lived not in cemeteries, but in very agreeable palaces".

Marx defined capital as "dead labour which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labour, and lives the more, the more labour it sucks"

The interesting thing about vampire lore is how it continually reinvents itself, or what one would classify as a vampire - pure blood-drinking fiends, or pestilential carriers, or swave sparkly dudes with ice cold dicks.

They pull from so many disparate sources - Dracula's the obvious one, but even he has powers that later "codefied" vampire stuff lacks - he's not affected by daylight, for instance - he can't change form during the day, but can walk around in it. He also lacks the ability to tweet well, tweeting dull centrist poo poo with zero critical analysis, that he somehow gets paid for.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Pretty drat sure some Sumerian satirist played a song on a gishgudi comparing a rich merchant to the contemporary equivalent of a vampire in their folklore back in 2000 BC, it's not a far-fetched allegory by any means

Maybe, but they usually had other monsters for that. Middle Eastern ghouls typically symbolised desert bandits and the urban underclass, not aristocrats.