Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The first time I was provided opioids was during my first kidney stone. They made me nauseous and violently ill and I had to chug Dramamine to stay normal.

The second time I was prescribed opioids was after they cut into my sinuses and burred some of it away. I didn’t use them.

Enjoy this picture of my cat and my disgusting apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Honestly all this talk of what drugs are where is pretty pointless because it's loving trump: he has those pills because of what he believes the effects to be, and someone else gives him the real stuff without him knowing.
trump heard somewhere (or thinks he heard somewhere) that those pills will get you hosed up, and since no one can ever teach trump they just keep buying him his treat because the other option is to try and teach him something.
You see all those words about what the drugs can and don't do? You're assuming trump values words over his gut. And his gut tells him he read somewhere very smart that those British pills get you high! So get me plenty of them! And all those people who say trump is wrong? You're fired.
And if trump doesn't feel anything you got the wrong ones after he very specifically told you the English pills you're fired too!
It's like if trump was walking around a meeting throwing green M&Ms at his daughter, "Lol" everyone would laugh, "everyone knows green M&Ms don't really make you horny! That's just an old rumor, trump was just trying to give out sweets!"
We're in hell world, reality doesn't matter as much as what trump thinks is true.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also all the opioids are from China and Mexico smuggling them in to hook all the white people.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Few recent papers showed that alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen was basically exactly equivalent to Vicodin for post-surgical pain management. Doesn't keep you coming back for another taste tho

I usually take them together, for bad pain. It works surprisingly well. I'm honestly kind of surprised they don't sell it like that.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

^Over the counter pain relief has an efficacy rate of 1 in 5, so for it to be allowed to sell, it has to be proven that it helps one person out of five. You may not need one of those pills because it might not be doing anything for you.

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

My med school literally taught us that people with genuine pain COULD NOT become addicted to opiates. Now that state is one of the top areas for opiate addiction hmm...

I was thoroughly disabused of that notion when I did a rotation with a suboxone provider. I saw a Nice (white) Suburban Mom who went from being prescribed percocet after a routine c-section to shooting heroin in 4 months. Took me a few more years to realize there are thousands out there just like her, and even more who don't have access to suboxone clinics staffed with sympathetic naive med students.

More than thousands I'd reckon; my partner works in a long-term care facility and every one in the nation must have at least ten to twenty old people who are totally hooked junkies who wake up in the middle of the night for their pill. Many have no idea that they're addicts because they're old and there's a special sort of stupidity that seems to be reserved for the olds where they trust the television and medicine.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 6, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

After the jaw surgery I was on a cocktail of an anti-inflammatory, an analgesic and an opioid for a month or two.

Started on toradol+Tylenol 3+liquid codeine phosphate, then naproxen replaced the toradol after a couple weeks, and the narcotic varied from Percocets to something else to finally Demerol.

gently caress I liked Demerol. I had no bad reaction to any of it, it just let me sleep. I get no wierd reaction to narcotics, no flying elephants, etc. Just feels like cool water washing the pain away.

I returned the last few Demerol to the pharmacist. My "Chill Sunday Afternoon in a pill" pill.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

JehovahsWetness posted:

I think this is the most official 2nd whistleblower thing I've seen yet.

https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/1180821531871649792

Between this and all of the depositions going on next week is going to be a loving rollercoaster. Seriously debating disconnecting for a few days just to not get overwhelmed.

Drug Chat:
As a counter-point to other people here. My wife was given some oxy for a serious knee injury a few years back. She took maybe 3-4 before stopping entirely. There was zero doubt she would get addicted if she didn't. Even now she will decline a pain-killer prescription just because it's not worth the risk.

And doctors STILL love to throw pain-killer prescriptions around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

The first time I was provided opioids was during my first kidney stone. They made me nauseous and violently ill and I had to chug Dramamine to stay normal.

The second time I was prescribed opioids was after they cut into my sinuses and burred some of it away. I didn’t use them.

Enjoy this picture of my cat and my disgusting apartment.

This happened to me on Oxys. Switched to another Opiate and that stopped. Want to say it was Percocet.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

My med school literally taught us that people with genuine pain COULD NOT become addicted to opiates. Now that state is one of the top areas for opiate addiction hmm...

I was thoroughly disabused of that notion when I did a rotation with a suboxone provider. I saw a Nice (white) Suburban Mom who went from being prescribed percocet after a routine c-section to shooting heroin in 4 months. Took me a few more years to realize there are thousands out there just like her, and even more who don't have access to suboxone clinics staffed with sympathetic naive med students.

I heard that "cant be addicted" idiocy in med school from a couple of family docs I rotated with and I rolled my eyes in my head but kept my mouth shut. Later I did a pain rotation and I repeated this nugget of wisdom to the doc and they made it known that opinion was not shared by anyone he knew that had done a pain fellowship or regularly worked with people addicted to pain meds.

This was just one of many times I learned that family doctors attending weekend workshops and then prescribing meds or doing procedures not part of their base training was a (not) hilarious source of flagrantly stupid patient mismanagement.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I had a massive jaw reconstruction in 2005. Two ribs removed to rebuild my lower jaw and a chunk of hip removed to rebuild my upper jaw (as well as various other cut/move/platings in the bone).

I was in ICU for 3 days and a regular room for a week. I was primarily on morphine and holy mother of god. That crash about 2 days when i got home was hell. I literally thought I was in hell. Like... literally. Thank god for Xanax.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Kenlon posted:

Heh. I got given Fentanyl as part of surgery prep for my c4-c7 open door laminoplasty. (Basically, they were going in to saw open my vertebrae with a very expensive dremel. Good times.)

I didn't even feel it. The anathesiologist told me, "Okay, tell me when you start feeling sleepy and relaxed," and minutes later I'm not feeling anything at all. (Turns out that whatever they were using for general anasthesia is *really* painful if you aren't drugged up first. I felt like I was literally on fire for the time before I lost consciousness.)

My brain gives no fucks about opiates, and I feel weirdly proud of that.

Hm I don’t think General anesthesia is painful if you’re not drugged up. I’ve been under probably 6 times by now and they’ve never given painkillers before hand. The most I’ve gotten before hand was a hearty injection of Valium before extensive knee surgery

Not saying you don’t experience it differently than most but I don’t think it’s considered painful medicine

Prescription story: I got prescribed 10mg hydros for out patient hand surgery in which I didn’t even go under, with 2 refills, and as of which I don’t really understand admin law

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 6, 2019

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I just got my wisdom teeth out and was given Norco.

I'm loving it. Can easily see why people get addicted.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Retro42 posted:

Drug Chat:
As a counter-point to other people here. My wife was given some oxy for a serious knee injury a few years back. She took maybe 3-4 before stopping entirely. There was zero doubt she would get addicted if she didn't. Even now she will decline a pain-killer prescription just because it's not worth the risk.

I caught a staph infection in my elbow one day. It began at noon as a mosquito-bite swelling and by the early evening was the size of a golf ball. Being recently insured through the ACA but used to being uninsured made me put off checking it out for a day until I woke up the following morning with a totally swollen arm from my wrist to my shoulder. The doc in the urgent care around the corner prescribed me narcotic pain relief after pumping me full of antibiotics, and several days later, when I ran out, my loving jaw started locking up and my entire body went into a panic. It was an utterly miserable and I'm glad I didn't have any more pills because that would have just dug the hole deeper.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.

i am harry posted:

More than thousands I'd reckon; my partner works in a long-term care facility and every one in the nation must have at least ten to twenty old people who are totally hooked junkies who wake up in the middle of the night for their pill. Many have no idea that they're addicts because they're old and there's a special sort of stupidity that seems to be reserved for the olds where they trust the television and medicine.

The 'thousands' was the Nice Suburban Moms shooting heroin

Your point reminds me of the octogenarian I saw in the ER one night. She was three years in remission from her stage IV breast cancer, but no one had bothered to taper her off her pain meds. She didn't think to ask why she still needed those 80mcg fentanyl patches, just knew she felt bad when she ran out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I messed around with pain pills in HS and college because the suburbs in the 2000s, duh. We could nick em from parents and no one really got up in it because somehow weed was worse and better a pill head kid than a stoner or a methhead, which meth was not a thing around us thank gently caress (this was LI). It was a glory day for abusing a disgusting amount of drugs that could have easily killed ourselves and others. Around senior year in HS is when heroin started making itself known, and once I lost someone close to me from an overdose, I decided that I wouldn’t touch it. Everything else for the most part was fine, but not heroin.

Went away to college in RI and thank gently caress I just smoked a ton of weed instead, while LI got loving obliterated by opiates. Dabbled with whatever other substance came my way but weed was, and still is, substance of choice. But honestly? I don’t turn down most drugs, even at 28, unless if it’s a genuinely unsafe environment or I’m expected to work or drive. Recreationally? I’m loving there.

I have seen friends and loved ones cratered by pills though, and the money and greed behind it makes me sick to no end. The war on drugs and the profiteers off the war on drugs should be hung. How we view addiction and sobriety as a culture is slowly changing at a glacial pace but at the cost of thousands of lives.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sounds like someone should try some meth then!

The 'thousands' was the Nice Suburban Moms shooting heroin

Your point reminds me of the octogenarian I saw in the ER one night. She was three years in remission from her stage IV breast cancer, but no one had bothered to taper her off her pain meds. She didn't think to ask why she still needed those 80mcg fentanyl patches, just knew she felt bad when she ran out.

Oh god yes this is a massive issue and I don't ever see it getting fixed under our current situation because it's mainly down to severe understaffing of facilities.. The missus is part time; she only goes in once or twice a week, so she sees patients and then sees them again a week later...that seems to make observing problems easier than if she was seeing them every day (like watching children grow up I guess). There are lots of instances where she leaves a ward with patients who should begin tapering their medications, and returns a week later to find them still receiving enough drugs to tranquilize an elephant.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180835536086470656
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180836237239816192
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180836514743357440

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

D.C. rumors are Romney being set up as the fall guy by the GOP because he can absolutely take Trumps BS without harm(Utah is gonna re-elect him EASY) and still effectively test the waters for breaking from Trump.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

i am harry posted:

Sounds like someone should try some meth then!

Oh god yes this is a massive issue and I don't ever see it getting fixed under our current situation because it's mainly down to severe understaffing of facilities.. The missus is part time; she only goes in once or twice a week, so she sees patients and then sees them again a week later...that seems to make observing problems easier than if she was seeing them every day (like watching children grow up I guess). There are lots of instances where she leaves a ward with patients who should begin tapering their medications, and returns a week later to find them still receiving enough drugs to tranquilize an elephant.

I wonder how prevalent the mindset is that they'll be dead soon anyway, so what's the harm?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

i am harry posted:

It’s not stupidity, they’re just old and sick, and a part of being old and sick means getting used to taking more pills and feeling worse when you don’t take them, and when you know helpless senility and loss of your own life is around the corner you become susceptible to things like this. Which only makes the whole thing more disgusting. My husband’s aunt is an addict and there were times she would show up at their house at three in the morning in tears because she was out of pills - at some point the pain becomes dominant and managing it (or chronically mis-managing it because you don’t know otherwise) becomes as much a part of your life as eating and drinking water.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Retro42 posted:

D.C. rumors are Romney being set up as the fall guy by the GOP because he can absolutely take Trumps BS without harm(Utah is gonna re-elect him EASY) and still effectively test the waters for breaking from Trump.

That seems kinda interesting as a test bed, Utah is way more loyal to Romney than they will be to trump and they already don’t like trump compared to other places. If true, I feel like they are hoping Romney gets support.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Retro42 posted:

obviously him being public about this is testing the waters for other people, and trump's insane reaction is because he's terrified of other people joining romney. but this doesn't make sense, he can't be the "fall guy" as he has done literally nothing he can take the fall for.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Trump has 100% approval among Trump supporters. We're doomed.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

eke out posted:

obviously him being public about this is testing the waters for other people, and trump's insane reaction is because he's terrified of other people joining romney. but this doesn't make sense, he can't be the "fall guy" as he has done literally nothing he can take the fall for.

Maybe fall guy isn't the best term. The tactic/thought seems to be that the first one out there is going to take the biggest hit and Romney is in the best position to soak the punishment without lasting harm. The other side of it is that the party would need a solid 2020 candidate(assuming Trump is impeached) that will probably lose but still be politically viable long-term in the Senate. Again, these are all just DC whispers, but sometimes the whispers are good.

Romney checks a lot of boxes here that few GOP members can.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Romney always comes across to me as acting like he wants to run for President again, and is positioning himself as the anti-Trump Republican who wants to bring dignity back to the party. But that's probably not the case since 2024 is so far away and he's getting up there in age.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

eke out posted:

He's the fall guy in that a bunch of republicans hate trump but can't risk their position by saying so. Romney is very very unlikely to get voted out in utah so he can say whatever he wants, then if that seems to click with GOP voters in general other republicans can say it to. If it goes bad with republican voters the other republican lawmakers can say "I know right! gently caress that romney guy" with no real loss to the republicans.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Retro42 posted:

Maybe fall guy isn't the best term. The tactic/thought seems to be that the first one out there is going to take the biggest hit and Romney is in the best position to soak the punishment without lasting harm. The other side of it is that the party would need a solid 2020 candidate(assuming Trump is impeached) that will probably lose but still be politically viable long-term in the Senate. Again, these are all just DC whispers, but sometimes the whispers are good.

Romney checks a lot of boxes here that few GOP members can.

Yeah, Mitt can act as a human shield for others if they want to come out, but it's at the cost of losing any presidential hopes he might somehow entertain, because the trump faction will never vote for him now.

I think this is why Nikki Haley is being very publicly loyal right now -- it's still very low odds of anything happening, but if it does happen, she'd immediately be at the top of a short list of possible candidates. Gotta make sure that, if that happens, you don't lose because the Trumpites hate you for disloyalty and won't turn out for you.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
So a stalking horse basically.

* insert Pence joke here*

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

JehovahsWetness posted:

I think this is the most official 2nd whistleblower thing I've seen yet.

https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/1180821531871649792

I'll give the writers credit, if D.B. Cooper makes an appearance as a whistleblower this season it'll be a hell of a thing.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

One thing worth noting is that a pro-Trump candidate after Trump (either 2020 or 2024) will probably cause a TON of damage to the GOP long-term. Even if they aren't connected to him at all, a Pro-Trumper(Haley/etc) is going to seen as "more corruption" and tie the party even deeper to that narrative. It is potentially in the parties long-term best interest to put forward an Anti-Trump candidate even if they lose, because it gives them a shitload of cover down-ballot across the country.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Retro42 posted:

One thing worth noting is that a pro-Trump candidate after Trump (either 2020 or 2024) will probably cause a TON of damage to the GOP long-term. Even if they aren't connected to him at all, a Pro-Trumper(Haley/etc) is going to seen as "more corruption" and tie the party even deeper to that narrative. It is potentially in the parties long-term best interest to put forward an Anti-Trump candidate even if they lose, because it gives them a shitload of cover down-ballot across the country.

Most of OP voting base is never ever ever going to stop lionizing Trump. The next candidate will be even worse than he is. They are going to double down on the insanity.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

eke out posted:

Yeah, Mitt can act as a human shield for others if they want to come out, but it's at the cost of losing any presidential hopes he might somehow entertain, because the trump faction will never vote for him now.

I think this is why Nikki Haley is being very publicly loyal right now -- it's still very low odds of anything happening, but if it does happen, she'd immediately be at the top of a short list of possible candidates. Gotta make sure that, if that happens, you don't lose because the Trumpites hate you for disloyalty and won't turn out for you.

The parable of John McCain and The Shrub

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

eke out posted:

:mitt: isn't going to be able to run for President regardless. It's going to take a long time for the business wing to reestablish itself as the dominant force at the national level.

And Nikki Haley is going to be knifed from every single direction when she finally decides to run. She's the most hated woman in South Carolina and every politician will be looking to take a swing at her. She's a nonwhite woman who would have to win a republican primary.

I'd really like to see if we're to the point where a salacious past has no effect at the national level. Obviously Trump was a complete disaster, and there are a whole lot of stories in South Carolina about Nikki Haley.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Retro42 posted:

Eh, I think this is really going to depend on the GOP's messaging going forward. Until there's either an inquiry floor vote, an actual impeachment vote, or a Senate trial, lots of GOP lawmakers have cover to be "concerned" without needing to commit to any specific stance. If the GOP doubles down on defending Trump then they aren't going to ditch that by pushing an anti-Trump candidate. If they defect then the party as a whole is going to have the cover they want.

I don't think it makes sense to predict much about the future since we're in a weird limbo right now with Republicans in wait-and-see mode.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

empty whippet box posted:

Most of OP voting base is never ever ever going to stop lionizing Trump. The next candidate will be even worse than he is. They are going to double down on the insanity.

Trumps decades long formulation of his cult of personality and his reputation as THE rich successful macho tough guy businessman to millions of rubes will be very hard to replicate.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

empty whippet box posted:

Why? this "invincible trump" narrative isn't real and not something you actually need to believe. Trump is very unpopular.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why? this "invincible trump" narrative isn't real and not something you actually need to believe. Trump is very unpopular.

The guy you quoted doesn't seem to be talking about Trump being invincible, though? Trump's base is a relatively small percentage of even the Republican party, but at this point it's made up mostly of frothing lunatics who probably won't break from him for anything. The issue for Republicans is always going to be whether that floor is high enough to cost them their primary races.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1180860117866176513

Rosen is correct, it's wild to see a light switch flip and someone as bad as Chuck Todd suddenly start acting like he gives two shits about this

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

...and there are a whole lot of stories in South Carolina about Nikki Haley.

such as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Holy poo poo, Sen. Ron Johnson having a totally normal one on Meet the Press this morning. Literally shouting conspiracies at Chuck Todd, looks like someone’s shook.