Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Oh you can bet your rear end if Dracula is real and alive he's some kind of "social media consultant". That or a hedge fund manager.

Like in the 1958 film with Peter Cushing

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

Pretty drat sure some Sumerian satirist played a song on a gishgudi comparing a rich merchant to the contemporary equivalent of a vampire in their folklore back in 2000 BC, it's not a far-fetched allegory by any means
The idea of the vampire, as a risen corpse that must consume the blood of the living in order to survive, seems nonexistent in Western Europe before Austria-Hungary brought it back from South-Eastern Europe. There's plenty of things like ghosts and succubi and banshees and shapeshifters and that in all cultures, but that particular thing seems to have come out of "as we good Christians must drink the blood of Christ for eternal life, the unholy must drink the blood of innocents for eternal life, also every church but mine is terrible and the people that go there are pagans."

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Most variations of the vampire myth are very antisemitic btw

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is everyone forgetting this guy, the vicious nobleman who's the actual inspiration for most of the Western vampire canon up to and including two of the more common names?

Visiting my parents I saw an amazingly dumb ghost hunting programme where they fannied about the dungeons of Vlad's old castle while insisting that "wow, the energy in here is so oppressive, I'm so tired" in the middle of the loving night, the dopes. Very entertaining.

moostaffa posted:

That'll be why it's Jeremy Corbyn's favourite myth then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is everyone forgetting this guy, the vicious nobleman who's the actual inspiration for most of the Western vampire canon up to and including two of the more common names?

This one's a bit complicated because ol' Vlad's reputation was quite different before Bram Stoker had a go at him in the 1890s. In Romania, he's a national hero. It's like if someone turned Edward I into a supernatural monster - he was an rear end in a top hat warlord who is greatly hated in certain countries, but he wasn't a universal byword for horror.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

moostaffa posted:

In Europe, yeah. Dracula in particular has a lot of baggage. Chinese hopping vampires? Not so much.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The vampire stuff only really got applied to Vlad post Dracula. Prior to that it was mostly just about his cruelty. Dracula's the most famous aristocrat vampire, but he's certainly not the first - before that even, there's Carmilla, Varney, and Lord Ruthven.

Stoker drew upon Vlad, but before the awesome Dracula name was apparently going to call him "Count Wampyr" - not very imaginiative.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

I have to say festivals like Glastonbury just seem like disgustingly crowded shitholes that would induce a dozen panic attacks on me because of all the crowds before it even started

Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to something like that I can't personally understand

I have terrible social anxiety, but I found Glastonbury to be really relaxing and freeing. Last time I was there Amy Winehouse was playing, so it's been a few years, but there's a great atmosphere of community, comradeship, and acceptance. It felt like how society should be, open and embracing, none of this isolated individualism bullshit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The idea of the vampire, as a risen corpse that must consume the blood of the living in order to survive, seems nonexistent in Western Europe before Austria-Hungary brought it back from South-Eastern Europe. There's plenty of things like ghosts and succubi and banshees and shapeshifters and that in all cultures, but that particular thing seems to have come out of "as we good Christians must drink the blood of Christ for eternal life, the unholy must drink the blood of innocents for eternal life, also every church but mine is terrible and the people that go there are pagans."

I think there's elements of that in the norse draugr myth too. Though they also have more op bullshit powers that were nerfed with the codification of the modern vampire myth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Does that book not draw on a pre existing myth? Would genuinely be surprised if there wasn't at least one indigenous example of it given, y'know, how well it works. Proliferation leading it to eclipse other readings I'd expect sure, but invented whole cloth is surprising.
It could've been invented whole cloth several times, and just only survived to proliferate after political liberalization had stripped enough power from aristocracy that it couldn't stop such slanderous characterization as members of it sometimes being bad if they were also foreigners.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Stoker likely just stole the name and a few historical tidbits, without any real knowledge of the man. His (and Báthory's) association with vampirism seem to have been established after the idea of aristocratic vampire became more widespread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Modern vampires alas cannot swim through stone like carp.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

One of the earliest monsters in folklore was the Arabic ghul, that was a shapeshifting monster that lived in the desert and would entice men off their paths before eating them. A french translation of 1001 nights changed the ghoul to be more of the undead monster we know now, but the idea of a shapeshifting monster that ate people is as old as Mesopotamia.

There's a few noteable aristocrats in history that drank blood or were cannibals - Elizabeth Bathory was a Hungarian noblewoman who bathed in a bath of children's blood (supposedly) - there was also Gilles de Rais, a companion of Joan of Arc who also raped, tortured and killed dozens of children, as well as eating their organs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mental Note: Need to watch Lifeforce again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, yeah, looking into it, antisemitic blood libel does seem to be the oldest major conflation of wealth and vampirism (a literary example would be Shylock in The Merchant of Venice, whose lust for coin is transformed into a lust for blood). It dates all the way back to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, if not further. The Vampyre seems to be the first time it was repackaged into a more sanitary and less racist form.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, yeah, looking into it, antisemitic blood libel does seem to be the oldest major conflation of wealth and vampirism (a literary example would be Shylock in The Merchant of Venice, whose lust for coin is transformed into a lust for blood). It dates all the way back to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, if not further. The Vampyre seems to be the first time it was repackaged into a more sanitary and less racist form.

Again, excluding Dracula, because sheeeesh.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I guess it does make sense that mythical creatures in antiquity were just barely disguised forms of bigotry. I wonder what myths future generations will read from our current history. The Abominable Job-Stealing Immigrant? The Horrible Muslim? The Triggered Climate Change Fighter Millennial That Should Go Back To School?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Job Creator.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I should clarify that as an immigrant from the misty unknowable Pampas I cannot cross water and therefore was transported here in a stone coffin adorned with heathen runes to guard me, also I can transform into a swarm of hamsters at will.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

happyhippy posted:

Mental Note: Need to watch Lifeforce again.

Saw it in the theatre when it came out :)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

I guess it does make sense that mythical creatures in antiquity were just barely disguised forms of bigotry. I wonder what myths future generations will read from our current history. The Abominable Job-Stealing Immigrant? The Horrible Muslim? The Triggered Climate Change Fighter Millennial That Should Go Back To School?

A remarkable number of European mythological monsters seem to be derived from Jewish people - dwarves and goblins are as well. We do actually have a racist fictional monster that emerged quite recently, though - orcs as stand-ins for black people date back to the 1970s, although they also draw on a fair amount of inspiration from interbellum fantasy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the South American vampire has to be transported inside a giant empanada.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Darth Walrus posted:

A remarkable number of European mythological monsters seem to be derived from Jewish people - dwarves and goblins are as well. We do actually have a racist fictional monster that emerged quite recently, though - orcs as stand-ins for black people date back to the 1970s, although they also draw on a fair amount of inspiration from interbellum fantasy.

Aren't dwarves a Norse mythological race?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

That also ties in with the blood thing too.

Kosher and Halal slaughter prescribing the draining of all blood, the Holy Communion involving drinking the blood of Christ, it's all there so that if South-Eastern European culture (which had a lot of folkloric baggage about burying the dead and also multiple religions in the same place) wants to create an Other it's fairly easy to go "Jews drain the animal of blood" "I wonder what they do with the blood" "I bet they drink it" "I bet they drink babies blood" "I bet everyone who goes to any church that isn't ours buries their dead so wrong that the corpses come back and drink the blood of virgins." And then you've got a recognizable vampire.

OwlFancier posted:

The Job Creator.
The Elon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Aren't dwarves a Norse mythological race?

Yeah, but that doesn't rule out them having some connection to Jews and other Middle Easterners from the beginning. As a seafaring culture, the Vikings were big traders, and Middle Eastern merchants had a long reach even in the first millennium.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Darth Walrus posted:

A remarkable number of European mythological monsters seem to be derived from Jewish people - dwarves and goblins are as well.

We have Tolkien to thank for the association between dwarves and Jewish people, don't we? I don't know that they were originally the target, there not being much of a Jewish presence in Scandinavia historically. I heard that the myth comes from a different racism - that they were based on Finns.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

We have Tolkien to thank for the association between dwarves and Jewish people, don't we? I don't know that they were originally the target, there not being much of a Jewish presence in Scandinavia historically. I heard that the myth comes from a different racism - that they were based on Finns.

Dwarves are too cool to be finns

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dwarfs probably originated as nothing more than an explanation for why some people have dwarfism or other genetic differences, being half dwarf, or a dwarf causing it in utero, in the same way that various fairies likely arose as an explanation for why some kids had autism.

If you then go on to say that some race or another are in league with said fairies (Irish Travellers being a common one), then that's just common or garden racism with the factors of the day, like claiming that Jews work with the nebulous forces of the world economy because being racist is easier than understanding things, but that doesn't mean that the fairies themselves were created for racial reasons.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Darth Walrus posted:

Aren't Tolkien Orcs supposed to be a stand in for East Asians? That's 1940s iirc

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Dwarfs probably originated as nothing more than an explanation for why some people have dwarfism or other genetic differences, being half dwarf, or a dwarf causing it in utero, in the same way that various fairies likely arose as an explanation for why some kids had autism.

The Victorians having both a fairy craze and a deep love of scientific racism makes me wonder how many dusty, leather-bound tomes containing serious treatises on fae eugenics are hanging out in libraries somewhere in England.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

Aren't Tolkien Orcs supposed to be a stand in for East Asians? That's 1940s iirc

1950s. And there's no need for Tolkien to use orcs as a standin for Asians because he was quite happy to put the Easterlings into LOTR.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Orcs are Germans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Victorians having both a fairy craze and a deep love of scientific racism makes me wonder how many dusty, leather-bound tomes containing serious treatises on fae eugenics are hanging out in libraries somewhere in England.
Yeah, I also think the early modern craze for 'scientific racism' as well as cataloging the folk monsters of various people might have more to do with the idea that "elves and dwarfs are stand ins for Jews" than actual folk culture.

It seems more likely that it was "your baby is deformed because of mischievous spirits" "I bet the Gypsies called them here" racism than "lets invent this folklore so that we can talk poo poo about the Gypsies in metaphor" because they were all doing that openly anyway. But then by synthesis it could become a stand-in/metaphor I guess, like how freep called Black criminals 'Amish' for so long that it became a racist trope.

Jedit posted:

1950s. And there's no need for Tolkien to use orcs as a standin for Asians because he was quite happy to put the Easterlings into LOTR.
That's just tolkienism *5 page pronunciation derail*

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The dragon in the Hobbit is actually Tolkiens take on George Soros

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Norse dwarves weren't short though, right? (best part of Infinity War was Peter Dinklage going completely un-remarked as a 15 foot dwarf, which surely gave him a giggle) When did "mystical miner/blacksmith" get equated with "short"?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

adding to the derail, I've seen the LoTR films so many times, but every time I think I'll give the Hobbit films a second watch I remember the barrel scene...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wagner's Alberich was explicitly an antisemitic stereotype, but he was drawing on existing medieval lore.

Miftan posted:

Tolkein's orcs were very different from post-Tolkein orcs, which owed a great deal to Robert E. Howard's 'savages'. Tolkein's orcs were a British underclass degraded and mutated by industrialisation - when he compares them to the 'least lovely mongoloids', he means they look like they have Down's Syndrome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The barrel scene is excellent.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The barrel scene is excellent.

(User was banned for this post)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's the barrel scene, why is it so divisive, and does it involve the phrase "It's your turn in the barrel?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA