Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RUBIO ET AL: he was just joking about china
TRUMP:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180859894003572736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

Yeah, Mitt can act as a human shield for others if they want to come out, but it's at the cost of losing any presidential hopes he might somehow entertain, because the trump faction will never vote for him now.

I think this is why Nikki Haley is being very publicly loyal right now -- it's still very low odds of anything happening, but if it does happen, she'd immediately be at the top of a short list of possible candidates. Gotta make sure that, if that happens, you don't lose because the Trumpites hate you for disloyalty and won't turn out for you.

romeney also gets to play hero whenever trump loses or gets convicted. he gets to pretend he stood up to trump the whole time or some poo poo.

Solkanar512 posted:

Holy poo poo, Sen. Ron Johnson having a totally normal one on Meet the Press this morning. Literally shouting conspiracies at Chuck Todd, looks like someone’s shook.

they have loving nothing real to defend trump with so yeah pretty much.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Opiods are good... they should be prescribed for every ailment; Autism, Angina, being Floridian, everything. It must increase! Opiods.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I still can't get over the fact that Johnson keeps repeating "but Trump vehemently denied that he'd ever [withhold aid]" when we have transcripts, released by the White House, that are very clear that he did exactly that.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

eke out posted:

RUBIO ET AL: he was just joking about china
TRUMP:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1180859894003572736

I like how it went from $50,000/month to $100,000 to now also $1.5B from China.

That is a 15,000x increase.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1180860117866176513

Rosen is correct, it's wild to see a light switch flip and someone as bad as Chuck Todd suddenly start acting like he gives two shits about this

I watched that, and it was nice to see Chuck not give a pass to obvious bullshittery in the name of decorum bothsideserism. I fear it's only because Trump is tanking hard and Chuck is dunking on Trump aligned bullshitters to endear himself to the eventual post-Trump GOP who will be embarrassed about all this and eager to memory hole it.

It's like that political cartoon with the Democrats watching the polls and then climbing all over each other to support LGBT rights when the time was right.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If the media finally thinks that fairly covering the latest Trump dumpster fire will lead to more eyeballs then they’ll provide the gasoline themselves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sure Hunter Biden is glad to find out he is now a billionaire.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Slowpoke! posted:

I like how it went from $50,000/month to $100,000 to now also $1.5B from China.

That is a 15,000x increase.

I think he’s getting hunter Biden confused with his own kin when he talks about China.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I watched that, and it was nice to see Chuck not give a pass to obvious bullshittery in the name of decorum bothsideserism. I fear it's only because Trump is tanking hard and Chuck is dunking on Trump aligned bullshitters to endear himself to the eventual post-Trump GOP who will be embarrassed about all this and eager to memory hole it.

It's like that political cartoon with the Democrats watching the polls and then climbing all over each other to support LGBT rights when the time was right.

sadly your probably right. that being said, i don't think trump will ever be redeemed. he is too easy to hate with to many reasons.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Rabble posted:

I think he’s getting hunter Biden confused with his own kin when he talks about China.

It's ALWAYS projection

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1180860117866176513

Rosen is correct, it's wild to see a light switch flip and someone as bad as Chuck Todd suddenly start acting like he gives two shits about this

I will never get over Russ Feingold losing to this guy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Whatever. If Chuck Todd fancies himself the next Bob Woodward or Carl Bernstein, then I'm perfectly fine with him all of a sudden deciding he has a conscience...just as long as everyone remembers what he was like before.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

There isn’t a Trump-cult.

There is an authoritarian/supremacist GOP cult that has always been looking for a strong man to run it since W left office. Trump showed up, said the right things, and the cult agreed to follow him.

But as soon as Trump is an obvious loser - when he gets driven out of power like W did - the cult will drop him and memory-hole him like they did W, and look for the next Big Dick Energy toxic masculinity avatar to lead them. And they’ll deny they ever liked Trump; they only liked how he triggered the libs.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

There is an authoritarian/supremacist GOP cult that has always been looking for a strong man to run it since W left office. Trump showed up, said the right things, and the cult agreed to follow him.

But as soon as Trump is an obvious loser - when he gets driven out of power like W did - the cult will drop him and memory-hole him like they did W, and look for the next Big Dick Energy toxic masculinity avatar to lead them. And they’ll deny they ever liked Trump; they only liked how he triggered the libs.

I think a lot of Republicans hope what you say is true, because the alternative is that they're loving themselves hard.

Maybe it'll still happen, but GWB simply did not have anything remotely like the Trump personality cult and existed in a completely different media environment, so what applied to him may well not apply here.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah I've been saying this (relative to Palin and W, and McCain after he lost to Obama) but I'm not totally sure it's going to work this time.

All the other people that have threatened to become right wing ideologues have kinda gone away. Gingrich obviously ran for president in 2012 but he just hopped on the grift circuit. Plus he stepped down after a plan that was his and his alone blew up in the GOPs face in 1998.

Palin completely imploded, her streaming service blew up before it even began, and she's not a shell of her former self basically living in exile.

W was basically not seen for 7 years, and of course it's the left that's rehabilitating him now which is just great.

But Trump is never going to admit defeat, and he's never going to go away. He's going to claim he was stabbed in the back by the deep state or "the swamp", he's going to claim the democrats stole the election, he's going to constantly threaten to run for president again. And he's going to do it all the time, on twitter, at rallies, on whatever tv channel he ends up on.

He will literally never stop until he's dead. And it's why I think so many republican senators would actually love to impeach him, but know that'd be death for them.

So I don't know if he gets memory holed. Will be interesting to see!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

I think it's simply most of the Reagan cult who became even more reactionary and authoritarian from Fox News and Obama being President.

Don't forget that much of the radicalization of the right in the last decade (Tea Party movement then Trumpism) is because a black man got elected President and it broke their minds.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

I think a lot of Republicans hope what you say is true, because the alternative is that they're loving themselves hard.

Maybe it'll still happen, but GWB simply did not have anything remotely like the Trump personality cult and existed in a completely different media environment, so what applied to him may well not apply here.

this. W got lucky with 9/11 which basically bought him time but also hosed him in the end because of the various wars. trump just said what the base wants out and out and they love him for that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

I dunno. Reagan is still mythologized to this day as an invincible golden god--the GOP has proven that they're not above worshipping Presidents like kings.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah I've been saying this (relative to Palin and W, and McCain after he lost to Obama) but I'm not totally sure it's going to work this time.

All the other people that have threatened to become right wing ideologues have kinda gone away. Gingrich obviously ran for president in 2012 but he just hopped on the grift circuit. Plus he stepped down after a plan that was his and his alone blew up in the GOPs face in 1998.

Palin completely imploded, her streaming service blew up before it even began, and she's not a shell of her former self basically living in exile.

W was basically not seen for 7 years, and of course it's the left that's rehabilitating him now which is just great.

But Trump is never going to admit defeat, and he's never going to go away. He's going to claim he was stabbed in the back by the deep state or "the swamp", he's going to claim the democrats stole the election, he's going to constantly threaten to run for president again. And he's going to do it all the time, on twitter, at rallies, on whatever tv channel he ends up on.

He will literally never stop until he's dead. And it's why I think so many republican senators would actually love to impeach him, but know that'd be death for them.

So I don't know if he gets memory holed. Will be interesting to see!

trump is gonna play victim no matter how this comes out. he will do it if he loses 2020 too. i think NY is gonna hit him with a bunch of charges which will keep him busy at least.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Wayback posted:

So a stalking horse basically.

* insert Pence joke here*

Don’t talk about ex mother that way. He had to file a restraining order against her.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeleton warrior posted:

I know you want this to be true for Ideological and political reasons but it is simply not.

Trumps cult belies the Republican party. His ideas and movement are the end result of the GOP ideas but many of the supporters, even a majority I would say, are not republicans or have not been republicans their whole life. Many are people who never were strongly active in politics or paid attention.

This comes down to an issue that I feel wrong people are wrong on this forum about and people are taking the wrong lessons from.

Most claim that Trump has not created any new racism in America, that he is just exposing racism that already exists. I believe that is the exact opposite of what Trump does. Trump, and people like Trump, create and implant racism in the mind of lay-people who were not previously racist. Their authoritarianism leads people who previously would not entertain extreme or virulent racism to consider it legitimate and even an ok mindset to hold.

This is true of any strong leader. People do not have these beliefs inside them all along that they just magically decide to openly profess one day. People are persuaded to believe them by good arguments. If you aren't able to persuade people to believe your arguments you have a bad one. Trump has very good arguments that work on his target audience. If Trump did not exist and make these arguments a lot of them would not believe these ideas.

This happened at the turn of this century as well with FDR. Do you think people really had all these progressive ideals in them deep down? They followed FDR because he made good arguements and was a gifted leader. People will follow anyone who can make arguments that work to their current condition and worldview.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Charliegrs posted:

Has anyone mentioned in this thread that one of main witnesses in the Amber Guyger trial was shot dead yesterday? I remember seeing this guy's testimony in the trial. At one point he broke down crying. There's no way in hell the Dallas PD aren't behind this murder, probably taking revenge for this guy helping put away one of their own. gently caress Dallas PD. gently caress the blue lives matter crowd.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/us/botham-jean-neighbor-killed/index.html

I live here in Dallas, it's 100% retaliation.

He was shot while exiting his car at his apartment. Two shots, one in the chest, and once in the mouth at close range. Nothing stolen.

Who shoots someone in the mouth except someone trying to send a message to others?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

trump is gonna play victim no matter how this comes out. he will do it if he loses 2020 too. i think NY is gonna hit him with a bunch of charges which will keep him busy at least.

That will feed into his persecution narrative and just give his lunatic base one more thing to scream foul about.

Like it's not difficult to imagine a world where republicans are running in the midterms in 2022 on a platform of somehow changing the laws so nothing can happen to Trump.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I dunno. Reagan is still mythologized to this day as an invincible golden god--the GOP has proven that they're not above worshipping Presidents like kings.

Is he? I barely see him mentioned often, usually only in passing these days.

Like if Reagan comes up they'll wax poetic about him but they don't really evangelize about him. Maybe I'm just not tapped into conservative media but they certainly aren't pushing Reagan mythology to the mainstream that much anymore compared to 15-20 years ago.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I will say, when it comes to whistleblowers there is a cascade effect. If there are two right now there may very well be 6 in a month. I am currently involved in a whistleblower case, and the thing that pushed me to file were other whistleblowers coming forward. It gives you courage because there is strength and protection in numbers. If even one whistleblower is a registered Republicans it takes all of the wind out of the bias defense. When there is more than one whistleblower the case becomes about the facts, whereas when you are alone it turns into victim-blaming and personal attacks. It's also a lot harder to "disappear" two people than it is to disappear one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

I will say, when it comes to whistleblowers there is a cascade effect. If there are two right now there may very well be 6 in a month. I am currently involved in a whistleblower case, and the thing that pushed me to file were other whistleblowers coming forward. It gives you courage because there is strength and protection in numbers. If even one whistleblower is a registered Republicans it takes all of the wind out of the bias defense. When there is more than one whistleblower the case becomes about the facts, whereas when you are alone it turns into victim-blaming and personal attacks. It's also a lot harder to "disappear" two people than it is to disappear one.

There's also going to be a hilarious anti Obama whistle blower that comes out just to swing the narrative.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Take a drink every time someone says "The Ukraine" while watching news. :rip:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1180864952128671744

Surprised this fucker didn't defend Bill Cosby with this excuse

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Recommended treatment in the US is NSAID - they work too, opioids should only be given if the anti inflammatory doesn't work well enough.

NSAIDs do almost nothing for me, takes like six standard otc pills to make a dent in even a minor headache. Also they make me sick as a dog.

Add some Codeine to a low dose of nsaid and its a loving miracle though, a tiny dose kills all the pain with no buzz or noticeable side effects and no reason to want to take more unless I was in crippling pain.

I wish NSAIDs "worked" for me post surgery of for my serious back pain. The codeine use is down to one pill is enough to fix things for a few months usually for my back, and I'd rather some other inflammation only med for surgery and I'll just deal with the pain than the nsaid side effects thank you very much

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

tecnocrat posted:

I live here in Dallas, it's 100% retaliation.

He was shot while exiting his car at his apartment. Two shots, one in the chest, and once in the mouth at close range. Nothing stolen.

Who shoots someone in the mouth except someone trying to send a message to others?

some dude who was going to testify against Whiety Bulger in his federal trial ended up dead because someone poisoned his iced coffee

it wasnt anything to do with Whitey though, it was an ex-business partner who hoped to capitalize on the media circus to draw suspicion away from himself

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Willo567 posted:

:thunk:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

ThanosWasRight posted:

I know you want this to be true for Ideological and political reasons but it is simply not.

Trumps cult belies the Republican party. His ideas and movement are the end result of the GOP ideas but many of the supporters, even a majority I would say, are not republicans or have not been republicans their whole life. Many are people who never were strongly active in politics or paid attention.

This comes down to an issue that I feel wrong people are wrong on this forum about and people are taking the wrong lessons from.

Most claim that Trump has not created any new racism in America, that he is just exposing racism that already exists. I believe that is the exact opposite of what Trump does. Trump, and people like Trump, create and implant racism in the mind of lay-people who were not previously racist. Their authoritarianism leads people who previously would not entertain extreme or virulent racism to consider it legitimate and even an ok mindset to hold.

This is true of any strong leader. People do not have these beliefs inside them all along that they just magically decide to openly profess one day. People are persuaded to believe them by good arguments. If you aren't able to persuade people to believe your arguments you have a bad one. Trump has very good arguments that work on his target audience. If Trump did not exist and make these arguments a lot of them would not believe these ideas.

This happened at the turn of this century as well with FDR. Do you think people really had all these progressive ideals in them deep down? They followed FDR because he made good arguements and was a gifted leader. People will follow anyone who can make arguments that work to their current condition and worldview.

You’re about 60 years out of date with your Great Man of History take.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah man I'm sure that why Clinton is just as good as a candidate as Bernie Sanders.

And why Bernie Sanders got even Fox News viewing Trump supporters to nod along with what he was saying.

Totally.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1180864952128671744

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1045373636016852994

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I went down that Prairie Fires rabbit hole and the gilded age feels like a prequel. The insane chuds have always been with us, only they don't write their own books anymore.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
'Sleepy Joe Biden and his thrown out of the Military son' is my band name.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Trump absolutely is going to go on TV all the time and hold rallies after he exits office. Do you see him quietly retiring? Lol gently caress no. He probably starts Trump TV and if/when the GOP tries to distance themselves, he starts the America First party.

He's going to screech incoherently about how the election was stolen and he was treated the worst of any President, we need to investigate and imprison Nasty Pocahontas. Hell, he'll probably try to call up world leaders and convince them he's a government in exile and you should help me get back into power.

It'll be one of Prester Jane's compaction cycles. He'll lose some of the GOP but I'd guess at least a third to one half will radicalize further.

It would be a bit ironic if Trump caused the GOP to splinter. Don't forget how internally divided the GOP is right now, they present a mostly united front defending Dear Leader but they got jack poo poo done legislatively when they controlled the entire government 2017-2018. They couldn't corral the far-right Freedom Caucus loons and the handful of moderates to repeal Obamacare or pass immigration restrictions or whatever. Remember twenty years ago when Trump shut the government down twice to try and force Dem votes because he couldn't get the GOP together?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

SchrodingersCat posted:

There are currently more than six whistleblower reports that you could say are in process to approach the house intelligence committee -- Andrew Bakaj represents a few more that we already actually know of unrelated to whistleblowers #1 and #2. The things you are talking about are absolutely prescient, and why it's already happening so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

ThanosWasRight posted:

Yeah man I'm sure that why Clinton is just as good as a candidate as Bernie Sanders.

And why Bernie Sanders got even Fox News viewing Trump supporters to nod along with what he was saying.

Totally.

What/when was the last book you read on how the New Deal happened because I don't think your narrative of the New Deal has been the consensus narrative among historians for awhile. The New Deal took the shape it had (and had the weaknesses it had) because it was the result of the desires and beliefs of disparate groups of people with conflicting interests. Not because FDR was some genius who thought the thing into being.

Edit: Shoot, this take might be outdated too. But it would be closer to up to date than to think it the product of FDR as a sole historical agent.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 6, 2019