Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Is Overwatch still going to be fun for a clueless newbie that’s really bad at shooters jumping in on PS4?

BestBuy has the legendary edition for $19.99 CAD. Cheap enough I’m willing to give it a shot unless the playerbase has shrunk to nothing but hardcore players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I just jumped back in after a long hiatus and only like 40 hours played before that and I'm liking it a lot

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Playerbase does not seem to have shrunk significantly. I am bad and I still get satisfying games against other bads.

If anything it's gotten better with the addition of role queue. I played a bunch of games with 5 friends recently, and if you do that the game will try to pair you against other 6-person groups. Usually in the past this meant unbalanced skill matchups where one team is clearly better, because there aren't that many 6-stacks. But lately the games have been balanced and satisfying, even when we lose.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BGrifter posted:

Is Overwatch still going to be fun for a clueless newbie that’s really bad at shooters jumping in on PS4?

BestBuy has the legendary edition for $19.99 CAD. Cheap enough I’m willing to give it a shot unless the playerbase has shrunk to nothing but hardcore players.

It's a casual Blizzard game that's being actively updated, it still has millions of regular people playing it, don't worry.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BGrifter posted:

Even hardcore players can suck.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

teagone posted:

Even hardcore players can suck.

:hmmyes:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The queue time thing is a little ridiculous right now. I'm not talking solo queuing as DPS, i'm talking queuing in a group with a healer, or tank, or both and the queue is still long. Like we're nearly five minutes in right now.

That's on top of the fact that it ALWAYS sends you out back to the menu after every match, you don't do attack, then defense, or just keep going. So you always get sent back out into a 3-5 minute queue after every game. Why

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 6, 2019

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Macaluso posted:

The queue time thing is a little ridiculous right now. I'm not talking solo queuing as DPS, i'm talking queuing in a group with a healer, or tank, or both and the queue is still long. Like we're nearly five minutes in right now.

That's on top of the fact that it ALWAYS sends you out back to the menu after every match, you don't do attack, then defense, or just keep going. So you always get sent back out into a 3-5 minute queue after every game. Why

My group has a tank main and a heal main and we usually find games pretty quick, but we’re all around diamond comp rank, don’t know if that makes a diff. I have definitely experienced the back to menu after match thing a lot recently though and it’s frustrating

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Truecon420 posted:

My group has a tank main and a heal main and we usually find games pretty quick, but we’re all around diamond comp rank, don’t know if that makes a diff. I have definitely experienced the back to menu after match thing a lot recently though and it’s frustrating

Yeah if we go just tank and healer as a duo we get a game really quickly but if we go DPS and a Tank/Healer or if we're a three stack and go tank/healer/dps, we still have DPS length queues. I can understand the long queue times for a solo DPS but I'd think it'd be faster with a combo, just like the WoW dungeon queues.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So, I thought the Blizzcon skins were supposed to eventually get put in as normal skins later, but Sombra's Demon Hunter skin isn't available nearly a year later. Maybe they'll let us buy it after this year's Blizzcon! :v:

I'm mad because I really like that Genji skin, so I may have to bite the bullet and buy a stupid virtual ticket.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

So, I thought the Blizzcon skins were supposed to eventually get put in as normal skins later, but Sombra's Demon Hunter skin isn't available nearly a year later. Maybe they'll let us buy it after this year's Blizzcon! :v:

I'm mad because I really like that Genji skin, so I may have to bite the bullet and buy a stupid virtual ticket.

the champion skins become normally available iirc but not the pass skins

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

AkumaHokoru posted:

the champion skins become normally available iirc but not the pass skins

Yeah but last year some dev literally said that the demon hunter skin would be available, and a ton of people saw it and are posting about it on blizz forums rn

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Yeah, the Demon Hunter skin was publicized as being early access for BlizzCon 2018 ticket holders with the implication it would be available in the game for credits sometime in 2019, but who even knows at this point. That being said, none of the other BlizzCon skins have been made available, so it's probably safe to assume the only way to get the Genji/Symm skins this year is by shelling out bucks for a ticket.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Macaluso posted:

Yeah if we go just tank and healer as a duo we get a game really quickly but if we go DPS and a Tank/Healer or if we're a three stack and go tank/healer/dps, we still have DPS length queues. I can understand the long queue times for a solo DPS but I'd think it'd be faster with a combo, just like the WoW dungeon queues.

When I play with friends we usually go Tank/Healer/DPS/DPS and wait about 4-5 minutes for matches. I am sure we could get in faster if we just did Tank/Tank/Healer/Healer, but the times we've done that we inevitably end up with a Widow or Genji that can't do their job and crash and burn when we can't deal with two shields with 0-1 DPS. I'd rather eat the wait time for the ability to yell at my DPS to switch or move and rely on them actually doing it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just bought Overwatch.

I'm only looking for a TF game to spend about an hour a night on.

What I don't understand is how the chat works *voice chat I mean* and the keybindings are a bit confusing. I'm playing on PC Win10. Are there any kind souls willing to help me get started? What's the best way to get your feet wet? Do people use voice chat pr just bind keys that say stuff? I have more questions but they can wait.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

People use a push to talk key for voice chatting. Lots of people never use their mic at all, so don't feel like you have to, by any means. There's built-in voice lines you can bind to keys and the same lines can be found in a goofy heads-up menu that you probably shouldn't use too much.

You can just look over the key bindings in the options menu.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I just bought Overwatch.

I'm only looking for a TF game to spend about an hour a night on.

What I don't understand is how the chat works *voice chat I mean* and the keybindings are a bit confusing. I'm playing on PC Win10. Are there any kind souls willing to help me get started? What's the best way to get your feet wet? Do people use voice chat pr just bind keys that say stuff? I have more questions but they can wait.

I set my ptt button to `(upper left corner of the kb below esc) its within range of my movement keys and i can use my pinky for that button while still moving and fighting. people talk to like call out where a enemy is setup or where a sniper is there arent any like dynamic callouts where your character says stuff manually but they will do situational callouts on their own (i.e. if a someone shoots at you you might hear your char say "enemy there" or something. they dont tell you where it is but its trying to draw people's attention to the threat. )

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Try playing a straightforward DPS, like 76, for a while and just shoot guys from a distance while watching how the game goes around you. Most of the skill is in positioning yourself correctly so the enemy has to screw themselves over to kill you and/or take the point, so watch where people stand and try to keep in the shadow of your tank. OW has a lot of poo poo going on, so try to learn which character is causing which flashy bullshit and how you avoid getting murdered by it (usually: run the gently caress away, preferably out of LoS or into the middle of your team).

Once you feel a bit more comfortable, try playing a game as each character so you know what their schticks are.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I bought it so I feel I have to play it.

I will follow the advice given. Thanks, all.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I disagree. use the emote and voice wheels for BM

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
smh if your hello and emote hotkeys aren't more accessible than your PTT

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of easy heroes, Junkrat, Bastion*, and Ashe are also good choices for Attack heroes, Zenyatta and Lucio for Support, and Roadhog and Reinhardt for Tank

*at least in terms of how to use him, using him optimally(especially if you don't have a Shield Tank buddy and/or a Healer buddy hanging around) though can take some practice, as well as learning the layouts of the various maps

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'd probably go Moira over Zen for support

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
where's the loving event bli$$ard

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Minrad posted:

prob next week or the week after. they last 3 weeks so if it started this week, the halloween event would end before the actual holiday begins

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Minrad posted:

Switch launch is the 15th so probs then

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
it came out on the tenth last year so no previews even is actually kinda weird

i wonder if it's another rerun or if there's actual new content

then again I guess blizzard pr is gonna be busy with the hong kong thing now

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah.

If Blizzard are banning players for supporting democracy, I'm going to be uninstalling Overwatch now. I'm done.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

China is one of the bigger markets for all Blizzard games. Of course they’re going to comply with Chinese law, you shouldn’t have expected anything different.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 8, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

China is one of e bigger markets for all
Blizzard games. Of course they’re going to comply with Chinese law, you shouldn’t have expected anything different.

The NBA is in a similar situation after one of the team GMs openly supported Hong Kong on twitter. These big corporations have no backbone on the matter because there's too much money for them coming from China. Shameful. With what Blizzard chose to do, I also can't really support them. Was going to buy a virtual ticket for Blizzcon, but gently caress them.

[edit] Nevermind, actually just read the commissioner of the NBA made a stance, protecting the freedom of speech of their employees. Nice. gently caress Blizzard y'all.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 8, 2019

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah.

If Blizzard are banning players for supporting democracy, I'm going to be uninstalling Overwatch now. I'm done.

Organized DPS queue clogging will be the Bonus Army of the future

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

[edit] Nevermind, actually just read the commissioner of the NBA made a stance, protecting the freedom of speech of their employees. Nice.

lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

He may look like Nosferatu, but at least he's not giving in to Chinese censorship!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teagone posted:

He may look like Nosferatu, but at least he's not giving in to Chinese censorship!

China is a hilariously huge market for the NBA, they are totally going to give in to Chinese censorship regardless of some vaguely affirmative statement

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

China is a hilariously huge market for the NBA, they are totally going to give in to Chinese censorship regardless of some vaguely affirmative statement

Yes, I'm aware of how much money the NBA makes form China. It's just refreshing to hear him say the NBA isn't going to regulate the comments of its employees, as opposed to fining or banning Morey from the NBA or whatever—and anyone else who would follow suit—for expressing their opinions against the Chinese government.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teagone posted:

Yes, I'm aware of how much money the NBA makes form China. It's just refreshing to hear him say the NBA isn't going to regulate the comments of its employees, as opposed to him fining or banning Morey from the NBA or whatever—and anyone else who would follow suit—for expressing their opinions against the Chinese government.

The Rockets might not fire Morey but he’s already apologized in public and the likelihood of anyone else of any importance in the NBA saying anything further of substance about China is close to zero

The league in general is far more progressive than pretty much any others, but unfortunately they’re not going to do anything as noble as “standing up for free speech.” The only real difference between them and Blizzard is that Morey is a relatively powerful figure so his job is safe for the time being. The player and casters for Hearthstone are not, so they got screwed.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress Blizzard tbqh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Clowner posted:

gently caress Blizzard tbqh.

:agreed:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
maybe one day blizz will pull their head out of their rear end. on that day I can play overwatch with yall again. for now battlenet is off my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

The Rockets might not fire Morey but he’s already apologized in public and the likelihood of anyone else of any importance in the NBA saying anything further of substance about China is close to zero

The league in general is far more progressive than pretty much any others, but unfortunately they’re not going to do anything as noble as “standing up for free speech.” The only real difference between them and Blizzard is that Morey is a relatively powerful figure so his job is safe for the time being. The player and casters for Hearthstone are not, so they got screwed.

Still, gently caress Blizzard for going to the lengths that they did to appease China.