Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Artum posted:

Moving the setting on constantly just means they'll write themselves into a corner faster, and a hundred years across literally the entire galaxy is plenty of room to expand on things. Hell just from vigilus the latest point in the timeline is already like 300 years into m42.

Give Me Robo-Hand Dorn or Give Me Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I guess a problem they have is while they can tip the balance (as they have done towards chaos). They can't actually change anything. No one army can lose and no species can become friends. I guess in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tyranids and humans can become fast friends :)

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

BoneMonkey posted:

I guess a problem they have is while they can tip the balance (as they have done towards chaos). They can't actually change anything. No one army can lose and no species can become friends. I guess in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

It's basically this. The imperium is in terminal decline and has been for thousands of years. If you keep advancing the timeline eventually you'll reach a tipping point where the Imperium falls and the Emperor has to poo poo or get off the throne, as it were.

40K's setting and themes is predicated on the assumption that the imperium is right on the precipice and advancing the timeline means you have to find some way of maintaining that. Consider how narratively unsatisfying Vigilus was - it can't fall, because then 50% of Imperium falls and the writing can't support that, so chaos shows up, murders a bunch of people and then gets chumped when their gate goes down.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BoneMonkey posted:

Sure they can, the question is whether they’ll ever do another AoS but that depends on whether there’s any financial reason to discontinue one of the armies.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Travel across the scar is only as difficult as the plot needs it to be at the time. gently caress it, have Abby close off the Gauntlet and cut the Imperium in half. Dante can move his capital to Constantinople and we can have two divergent empires.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dark angels, blood angels and space wolves are being discontinued so at least that's a start.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adamantium|wang posted:

Travel across the scar is only as difficult as the plot needs it to be at the time. gently caress it, have Abby close off the Gauntlet and cut the Imperium in half. Dante can move his capital to Constantinople and we can have two divergent empires.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Oh man 2 empires would be dope as gently caress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This spite-fuelled dark angels "stop competing" article is great, well done goonhammerers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BoneMonkey posted:

Oh man 2 empires would be dope as gently caress.

Even better if they revived another loyalist Primarch that doesn't fully see eye to eye with Rowboat. Even if my first thought was ole Sanguinius because someone said Dante before.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd like to see Corax come back and be greeted with an army of dudes that were made by loving around with geneseed on top of a system of governance completely reliant on tyrants and religious fervour.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

JBP posted:

Dark angels, blood angels and space wolves are being discontinued so at least that's a start.

When did that happen?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sharkopath posted:

When did that happen?

When the space marine range is just primaris and they're primaris marines but with +1 to hit

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JBP posted:

This spite-fuelled dark angels "stop competing" article is great, well done goonhammerers.

It has generated some truly spectacular rage, so it was totally worth it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

JBP posted:

Tyranids and humans can become fast friends :)

You joke but the hive minds been evolving some sort of personality that shows a more emotional bent than the unknowable horror it was pegged as.

Maybe its time to make a deal.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

You joke but the hive minds been evolving some sort of personality that shows a more emotional bent than the unknowable horror it was pegged as.

Maybe its time to make a deal.

It would be neat if it spawned some purposeful characters that were elements of its consciousness, in the same way the Swarmlord has persistent personality and knowledge between bodies. I don’t know if it’s worthwhile to have it spawn the equivalent of Brain Gremlin to have a chat, but some greater insight into the hive mind would be cool.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bring back Zoats

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

It would be neat if it spawned some purposeful characters that were elements of its consciousness, in the same way the Swarmlord has persistent personality and knowledge between bodies. I don’t know if it’s worthwhile to have it spawn the equivalent of Brain Gremlin to have a chat, but some greater insight into the hive mind would be cool.

I dont know if youve read devastation but theres a really good bit in it where every lictor is The Lictor, a bioform the mind implants a mission inside and lets free and theres thousands of them all existing at the same time with the same knowledge and memory as long as some biomass makes it back to a fleet. It doesnt really think beyond the hive or have a personality so much as it uses all its lived experience to accomplish whatever mission it had. Also though it was a bit ambiguous in earlier editions I think gw settled on every hive fleet being part of the same mind and they work together as organs do now.

Practically even though I want the Tyranids to have a bigger role in the lore and some personality the reaction to the new necrons was mixed and I bet instead the psychic book for them will tell a bit about what the tower is doing and maybe plastic lictor.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 6, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I really like the Necrons just flat out being Tomb Kings in space. Doubly so since they injected a bit of humour into the mix.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Yeah I don’t really know anyone who hated the Newcrons. As someone who really loved the original story I thought as a retcon it left a lot of the core story and opened things up for much more interesting possibilities.

Really anything beyond Trayzn is just gravy and he alone justifies the change.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

JBP posted:

I really like the Necrons just flat out being Tomb Kings in space. Doubly so since they injected a bit of humour into the mix.

Im on the pro side of new necrons. Also the pessimism may have sounded a bit down but i genuinely want a plastic multipart lictor. That and some other cool new big beastie might convince me to collect up to 2000 instead of dabbling like I am now

To the person upthread talking about sanguinius: theyve confirmed he still exists as some kind of spirit or warp entity so if they really wanted to they could have him reborn in a bunch of different ways for a major event.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 6, 2019

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Corrode posted:

You can't just post that and not share

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Ok my dudes I got a dumb idea for a goon project. The simple idea is a bunch of us paint a model each for a killteam. Send them to a goon who is good at basing. They make a display base for them to sit on.

Then, I donno we could give them away to a random goon or bid them off for charity or something.

This could be as simple as that, or we could get lore people involved to create backstories for each model. (I got a bit of a graphics background so I could make cool cards for each model) And maybe get some goon with a good camera set up to take nice photos, we could also kitbash the models for extra flair.

I figured it would be a primaris kill team, because they are great models that you could add a lot to if we wanted to kit bash. (But I'm open to different/better ideas) And we could put together a style guide so we get a somewhat similar look between all the models.

I guess off the top of my head we would need:
Someone smarter than me to build the list. ( I don't actually know if this is important.)

People to kit bash and/or paint one of the models in the kill team.

Someone to make a display base. ( I could try and do this, but I have never done it before so I would defer to someone who knew what they were doing.)

And maybe people to write lore which I can make a pretty print out or booklet with.

I donno, how dumb is this idea? Anyone interested?

Edit: tons of spelling mistakes, phone posting with a baby in one arm is hard.

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 6, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I don’t really know anyone who hated the Newcrons. As someone who really loved the original story I thought as a retcon it left a lot of the core story and opened things up for much more interesting possibilities.

Really anything beyond Trayzn is just gravy and he alone justifies the change.

The old flayed ones and wraiths were cooler I though, especially because the wraiths looked like hosed up normal necron warriors, but I do like space egyptians as a theme.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

ijyt posted:

The old flayed ones and wraiths were cooler I though, especially because the wraiths looked like hosed up normal necron warriors, but I do like space egyptians as a theme.

I’ll admit I did kind of like the whole Pariah angle of things, even if the unit itself was super lackluster. The Ctan still being in charge was better, since having lurking unknowable space God’s was a cool threat.

That said the new version is still a net plus.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The only thing I miss from oldcrons is the pariahs tbh

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JBP posted:

Oh man. I just picked up a bunch of cheap models for my DA and literally started painting them today. That article didn't do a lot for my motivation. Especially as I sold off all my Ravenwing a few years back in favour of Deathwing and gunline units...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If they flat out released Settra 40k (so I guess Imotekh) on a Necron space-chariot I'd be making a Necron army.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I liked how mysterious the old Necrons were and the minimalism of their army list somehow only made them more threatening

Like yeah now they're more tactically interesting and they have a lot of personality but they don't feel as scary as they used to be

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Looks like the ltd edition sisters boxset is going to be monopose models and not multi part unfortunately.

Comes with:
1 Canoness
10 Battle Sisters
5 Seraphim
4 Repentia
1 Mistress
1 Penitent Engine
3 Flagellants
Ltd edition codex

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Old Necrons: awaken after millions of years of hibernation to slaughter all life under the guidance of mysterious ancient gods who hunger for essence

New Necrons: awaken after millions of years of hibernation to take some of the Helpful Xenos and Plot Advancement duties off the shoulders of the Eldar

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

gilljoy posted:

Looks like the ltd edition sisters boxset is going to be monopose models and not multi part unfortunately.

Comes with:
1 Canoness
10 Battle Sisters
5 Seraphim
4 Repentia
1 Mistress
1 Penitent Engine
3 Flagellants
Ltd edition codex

That's not surprising, GW did the same thing when bringing back GSC & Deathwatch by putting out monopose stuff in a boxed game, followed by a full codex and multipart kits several months later. It gives people a chance to paint up the core units of their new army rather than trying to knock out 2000pts in one go.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74XAe5KBYo

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JBP posted:

If they flat out released Settra 40k (so I guess Imotekh) on a Necron space-chariot I'd be making a Necron army.

Nah, Settra 40k would mean making a model for the Szarekh, the Silent King.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xtothez posted:

That's not surprising, GW did the same thing when bringing back GSC & Deathwatch by putting out monopose stuff in a boxed game, followed by a full codex and multipart kits several months later. It gives people a chance to paint up the core units of their new army rather than trying to knock out 2000pts in one go.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74XAe5KBYo

drat this is cool, definitely going to pre-order this.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Corrode posted:

I play mono Dark Angels and it's all true. Sammy and Talonmasters are the only things that do work consistently.

I love Deathwing but I'm going to be really sad when they are just creamy aggressors.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JBP posted:

Have you taken a gander at the Catacomb Command Barge?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/06/coming-next-week-aeldari-psychic-awakening-and-more/

Psychic Awakening is having the first book next week I guess. Seems to be the codex update for craftworlds and maybe DE.

I guess they were also inaccurate when the said they had the marines releases before PA.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are all of the models in that box new, or are some of them old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
A bunch of old dark eldar models are in that box for some weird reason.