Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

What's the barrel scene, why is it so divisive, and does it involve the phrase "It's your turn in the barrel?"

You know that scene in the book where they all get stuffed into barrels and floated quietly down a placid trading river from the Elves into Laketown?

It's nothing at all like that.

E: gently caress wotta snype

1 October 1960, 59 years ago, NIgeria gained its independence from the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One of them sticks his hands and legs through the sides of the barrel and spins around with two swords.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look if you don't like watching a dwarf kill like two dozen orcs by bouncing into them inside a barrel before transforming into the battle barrel I don't loving know what you even want from cinema.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pretty cool that they went out of their way to recreate the bloom lighting from Oblivion

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Wagner's Alberich was explicitly an antisemitic stereotype, but he was drawing on existing medieval lore.
Wagner's everything was explicitly an antisemitic stereotype. Excellent music, but it'd be unlistenable if someone made "Lohengrin but it gets bass boosted every time he hates Jews".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The CGI is real bad yeah but that's like all modern action movies.

It understands the idea of slapstick action fights though which is more than many films manage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The battle barrel bit made me laugh so I guess it pisses off people who don't want to see battle barrels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB10-CFhRj8

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

"Hello, Weta Digital? I want some CGI with worse effects than my films from 10 years ago"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Look if you don't like watching a dwarf kill like two dozen orcs by bouncing into them inside a barrel before transforming into the battle barrel I don't loving know what you even want from cinema.

I don't remotely dislike it in isolation. But this isn't a slapstick action movie.

It doesn't make any sense as part of the movie. Just like most of the padding they added to make it into three movies and keep Weinstein from getting too much money, which is what keeps me from being TOO irritated with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah because 10 years ago they weren't relying on CGI to make the film work so they had to make the CGI match the actual filmed bits.

Whereas now you just shoot the entire film in front of a greenscreen and mash a bunch of underbudget CGI in the background before firing everyone who made it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

The CGI is real bad yeah but that's like all modern action movies.

it's powerfully bad, especially when you mix it in with the GoPro glub glub shots

I mean it saves money by having the actors run around in a warehouse instead of going to NZ I guess

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm sure it has been mentioned before in previous threads, but Lindsey Ellis's videos about The Hobbit are worth watching.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't remotely dislike it in isolation. But this isn't a slapstick action movie.

It doesn't make any sense as part of the movie. Just like most of the padding they added to make it into three movies and keep Weinstein from getting too much money, which is what keeps me from being TOO irritated with it.

I haven't watched part 3, but from parts 1 and 2, yes it absolutely is a slapstick action movie. It is a very consistent trend, the film regularly cuts to jokey action scenes to pad out its length. I'd compare it to the brendan fraser mummy film, and I think that trend hearkens back to the older hollywood idea of an action film where everyone's just "woo shooting loads of people is super cool!"

That's totally the entire tone of at least the first two parts and a big part of the contrast between it and the lord of the rings films, which are much more mixed in their tone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

baka kaba posted:

it's powerfully bad, especially when you mix it in with the GoPro glub glub shots

I mean it saves money by having the actors run around in a warehouse instead of going to NZ I guess

They went to NZ anyway for most of it though. I can think of like three scenes in the whole 'trilogy' that actually make use of the NZ landscape.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

happyhippy posted:

I'm sure it has been mentioned before in previous threads, but Lindsey Ellis's videos about The Hobbit are worth watching.

Came up last month I think, and they really, really are. It's a fascinating and horrifying look into all the poo poo that made the Hobbit movies everything the Lord of the Rings movies weren't. Up to and including large-scale legislations to union-break in NZ.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The Hobbit films are enjoyably pants. The actors all bring their A Game and are let down by all the behind the scenes shenanigans (executive meddling like whoa, at least 2 directors, at least 1 actor was told they had a vastly different role to what they got etc etc. No coherent vision). I loved the Misty Mountains song, so haunting and sad.

https://youtu.be/Pyy_FIYE7EE

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Steve2911 posted:

They went to NZ anyway for most of it though. I can think of like three scenes in the whole 'trilogy' that actually make use of the NZ landscape.

they found a real nice warehouse there though!

what's orlando bloom even doing. it's like he saw john wick and thought "hell yeah I can do that with a bow"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ratjaculation posted:

The dragon in the Hobbit is actually Tolkiens take on George Soros

That's obvious bullshit, The Hobbit was published in 1937 but Soros moved to Britain only in 1947. What actually happened is once there he read The Hobbit and was so impressed that he sought up the author and told to Tolkien how the fantasy world deserved a whole trilogy, and then spun a tale about the war of the Ring, heavily basing it on his personal experiences just two years before during the battle of Budapest.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't watched part 3, but from parts 1 and 2, yes it absolutely is a slapstick action movie. It is a very consistent trend, the film regularly cuts to jokey action scenes to pad out its length. I'd compare it to the brendan fraser mummy film, and I think that trend hearkens back to the older hollywood idea of an action film where everyone's just "woo shooting loads of people is super cool!"

That's totally the entire tone of at least the first two parts.

Revision then: it's not a slapstick action story, and it shouldn't be a slapstick action story. It doesn't make sense as a slapstick action story, and making it a slapstick action movie hurts the story and the movie.

The Hobbit should have been 2 2-hour standard fantasy movies, broken at the point where they find Smaug, not 3 3 hour movies broken at incoherent points because of... well... this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

A remarkable number of European mythological monsters seem to be derived from Jewish people - dwarves and goblins are as well. We do actually have a racist fictional monster that emerged quite recently, though - orcs as stand-ins for black people date back to the 1970s, although they also draw on a fair amount of inspiration from interbellum fantasy.

Yeah I dunno that I'd agree that's really a new thing in the 70s - the 'bestial half human' thing goes all the way back to the Lord of the Rings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Yeah I dunno that I'd agree that's really a new thing in the 70s - the 'bestial half human' thing goes all the way back to the Lord of the Rings.

As mentioned, Tolkein has a very different take on it. Orcs are less bestial and more degraded by advanced technology, with speech-patterns derived from World War I soldiers. They're definitely not brutal tribal warriors like D&D-era orcs.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah NZ has the natural landscape, the beauty, and the variety to be middle earth. I visited a few if the LoTR locations because I'm mega cool.

But for the hobbits the reason they filmed there was because the gov at the time literally passed a law to gently caress over unionised actors and pay poo poo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Nenonen posted:

That's obvious bullshit, The Hobbit was published in 1937 but Soros moved to Britain only in 1947. What actually happened is once there he read The Hobbit and was so impressed that he sought up the author and told to Tolkien how the fantasy world deserved a whole trilogy, and then spun a tale about the war of the Ring, heavily basing it on his personal experiences just two years before during the battle of Budapest.

That first sentence had me, the rest is lolworthy as the kids say

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

Yeah NZ has the natural landscape, the beauty, and the variety to be middle earth. I visited a few if the LoTR locations because I'm mega cool.

But for the hobbits the reason they filmed there was because the gov at the time literally passed a law to gently caress over unionised actors and pay poo poo

Some of it was because Weta is there, and despite the fact that it largely went unused behind poo poo CGI, they actually did a huge amount of work on practical effects for the Hobbit movies. The behind the scenes stuff for it is incredible.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

From that scene, it looks more like The Mummy Returns - "everything has to be bigger and faster and crazier than before! Also you have to do twice as many VFX shots in half the time on the same budget because we all gave ourselves pay rises."

(I actually like The Mummy Returns more now than I did at the time because compared to some of the poo poo that's been made since, it seems almost dignified and restrained. That CG Scorpion King at the end is still utter garbage, though.)

But if all of the Hobbit is like that, I'm glad I missed them.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Darth Walrus posted:

In Europe, yeah. Dracula in particular has a lot of baggage. Chinese hopping vampires? Not so much.

Thank goodness for the Chinese, eh?!

No baggage there no siree!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thespaceinvader posted:

Some of it was because Weta is there, and despite the fact that it largely went unused behind poo poo CGI, they actually did a huge amount of work on practical effects for the Hobbit movies. The behind the scenes stuff for it is incredible.

Yeah I remember one or two characters (I think Azog and Dain) were initially actors in really good makeup but ended up being replaced with awful CGI models.

The one really good bit of CGI in the whole thing ended up being Gollum. Incidentally that's one of the only scenes that was barely changed from the books and one of the only actually good bits. Some of Smaug was ok too until the 45 minute chase scene.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Thank goodness for the Chinese, eh?!

No baggage there no siree!

Eh, their speed is more misogyny when it comes to evil supernatural aristocrats. Daji and other fox spirits are basically 'this is why women shouldn't be given leadership roles' stories.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Pfft spare me with that Third Age poo poo, the Years of the Trees is where it's at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfoa23skHg

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1180910034588442625

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

The Hobbit should have been 2 2-hour standard fantasy movies, broken at the point where they find Smaug, not 3 3 hour movies

I think that's the fundamental problem. You can't expand a not massively long children's book into 9 hours of movie. They could have made a better job of it even so, but I don't believe it's possible to have nine hours of cinema which are a) the hobbit and b) good

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

dude, get a fake coke can that unscrews and fill it with these shits

then its off to the sports arena.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

dude, get a fake coke can that unscrews and fill it with these shits

then its off to the sports arena.

Like gently caress are you getting a Coke can through security.

You'd probably get them on a plane though if you disclosed them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I remember one or two characters (I think Azog and Dain) were initially actors in really good makeup but ended up being replaced with awful CGI models.

The one really good bit of CGI in the whole thing ended up being Gollum. Incidentally that's one of the only scenes that was barely changed from the books and one of the only actually good bits. Some of Smaug was ok too until the 45 minute chase scene.

Yeah, the original Azog/Bolg makeup (it was originally Bolg all the way through I believe, Azog was a late addition) was amazing, if perhaps a little overdone.

The CGI versions were just so dull.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Steve2911 posted:

Like gently caress are you getting a Coke can through security.

You'd probably get them on a plane though if you disclosed them.

You can cram a bunch of 100ml whisky bottles in your hand baggage in airplanes already

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

LOTR was good because it was nearly universally practical and special effects coupled with good filming, with then CGI effects where practical or special effects didn't exist for what they were trying to do. I lived around wellington in the run-up to 2000 and there was a lot of big closed sets around there that popped up for months while they were filming, most notably, a couple of quarries specifically were hired and then basically screened off from state highway 1. It would later turn out they used those for filming a lot of the minas tirith and helms deep scenes. all of hobbiton is now a giant theme park for hobbit related stuff, since they actually constructed it in the waikato region up north.

Hobbit is dogshit because everything was filmed green-screen and then everything added in afterwards with CGI. Any company can make a CGI Fantasy shitfest. I went into hobbit thinking it would have the spectacle and grandeuer of LOTR and was sorely disappointed because of it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pochoclo posted:

You can cram a bunch of 100ml whisky bottles in your hand baggage in airplanes already

Yeah but these are probably more space efficient if you're limited to the little see through bags (which you normally are now).

https://twitter.com/caseJackal/status/1180439932864741376?s=19

stev fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 6, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Hobbit films are poo poo for a whole host of reasons but the barrel scene is a fluffy piece of dumb fun that actually works because it's in a unique setting with varied action and not just elves/dwarves fight a poo poo ton of orcs on a field for the fifth movie in a row.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they also cut the one good song - I would guess it was seen as too cartoony? totally, totally wrong - the foundational problem is that lord of the rings was already a gritty reboot of the hobbit. the film thus becomes a reflection of a reflection and totally incoherent.

here’s the song btw. it’s not a good song but it has any character whatsoever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hfam-6DM2M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I think as a setpiece it's a really cool idea; my main problem with it is that the hulking Orc warriors appear to have the constitutions of daddy-long-legs