Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, right, totally forgot about that debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
She also dropped out of a movie where she was going to play a trans man after some backlash last year, and recently whined about how she should be able to play whoever she wants without getting criticized.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it would have faded away but her piece about how "she should be allowed to play any role, even a POC or social minority" was kinda yikes and sealed it. Before that, she was just an actor making money taking any role thrown at her, which is fair enough. After? Ignorant and salty about it.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Possibly also a reference to the best cosplay ever:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Maxwells Demon posted:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Maxwells Demon posted:

!!

the white devil!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Yeah, it would have faded away but her piece about how "she should be allowed to play any role, even a POC or social minority" was kinda yikes and sealed it. Before that, she was just an actor making money taking any role thrown at her, which is fair enough. After? Ignorant and salty about it.

Followed up with a sequel about how "Woody Allen is my best bud, I believe him, and he did nothing wrong."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

She also dropped out of a movie where she was going to play a trans man after some backlash last year, and recently whined about how she should be able to play whoever she wants without getting criticized.
"Hillary Swank did it! Why can't I?!"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Because it's two thousand and loving nineteen and we need to stop casting cis people in trans roles

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

hooah posted:

What's the reference I'm missing?

Scarlett Johansson is a popular actor, and that cosplayer looks exactly like her.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Like, setting aside the fact that popular culture is barely aware of the existence of trans men and nonbinary folks, casting cis men as trans women reinforces a narrative that trans women are men "performing" womanhood. It reinforces the idea that we're trying to trick people. That is a narrative that gets us murdered.

There are trans actors. It's not a lack of talent that's the problem.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The War Queer posted:

Like, setting aside the fact that popular culture is barely aware of the existence of trans men and nonbinary folks, casting cis men as trans women reinforces a narrative that trans women are men "performing" womanhood. It reinforces the idea that we're trying to trick people. That is a narrative that gets us murdered.

There are trans actors. It's not a lack of talent that's the problem.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Speaking of transmen, what about Chaz Bono playing a cis male who "LOVES PUSSY" in AHS? What's the consensus there?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm learning some hard truths in here.

Anyway:

E:

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Oct 6, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Mammal Sauce posted:

Speaking of transmen, what about Chaz Bono playing a cis male who "LOVES PUSSY" in AHS? What's the consensus there?

Trans men are men so you should probably just chalk this up to, you know, acting? I'm kinda failing to see the point you're trying to make.

E: the point of being trans isn't to, you know, be trans, it's to live in a body that matches your mind and self image. You could say that a trans person playing a cis role, especially when the narrative doesn't revolve around "the trans experience", is an absolute win on one hand, and should be nothing noteworthy in a perfect world. For many (most) trans people, that's the ideal goal. The scarjo thing is because it was in a specific narrative, which is the equivalent of her playing in a role that's specifically about an Alaska Native. No matter how good the makeup, training, language, accent, or build, it's pretty much mockery and theft.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Oct 6, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah, trans people playing cis characters is not problematic in the same way as the reverse.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
They complain about Scarlett Johansson playing an Asian but Robert Downey jr plays a black guy in literal blackface and everyone is fine with it.

People be crazy

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ak Gara posted:

They complain about Scarlett Johansson playing an Asian but Robert Downey jr plays a black guy in literal blackface and everyone is fine with it.

People be crazy

That is a comedy that repeatedly points out how absurd it is though.

It's also from 2008. I don't know if it would fly today, because our perception and tolerance of issues can change within several years.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Oct 6, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mammal Sauce posted:

Owns

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mammal Sauce posted:

what, like, they go out of their way to say the character is cis?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

People be crazy

Does one person doing a bad thing and getting away with it mean that forever more we should give another person doing a bad thing a pass? Are you honestly trying to make this argument now? Or are you trying to say that 2008 and 2019 are exactly the same, culturally?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mammal Sauce posted:

This is a deliberate attempt to derail this discussion because you're uncomfortable with trans issues.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Queen Combat posted:

Trans men are men so you should probably just chalk this up to, you know, acting? I'm kinda failing to see the point you're trying to make.

E:. playing in a role that's specifically about an Alaska Native. No matter how good the makeup, training, language, accent, or build, it's pretty much mockery and theft.

Thanks for the explanation. I genuinely appreciate it and agree with you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a deliberate attempt to derail this discussion because you're uncomfortable with trans issues.

Well if you can't mod, backseat mod.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's not backseat modding, just something I've seen people do over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over with different issues for decades.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Mammal Sauce posted:

As long as we're explaining things in the thread, that wasn't backseat moderating. FAU was discussing how your post came across, not telling you to stop posting like that or to follow one of the forum rules.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

By popular demand posted:

I'm learning some hard truths in here.

Anyway:

Capitalism.jpg

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a good instagram account for a rabbit named Mr. Bigglesworth who has a disorder so he didn't grow fur. He looks like this baby rabbit but old: https://www.instagram.com/mrbigglesworthrabbit

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ak Gara posted:

People be crazy

No he doesn’t, if you’ve seen the movie. And yeah, him doing that is the whole point of the character and they address him doing it in the end. It’s not a good counterpoint.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Should straight actors be allowed to pretend to be gay? Isn't that heresy?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Collapsing Farts posted:

Should straight actors be allowed to pretend to be gay?

Why? Do you not understand why positive representation in popular media is important to marginalized people?

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Collapsing Farts posted:

Should straight actors be allowed to pretend to be gay?

Allowed by who? The Gay Mafia?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

:ssh:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

:ssh:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The gaystapo will put an end to you and your acting friends!

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

poo poo, they're fitting me with concrete stilettos as we speak

at least they match my purse

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You're gonna wake up with a unicorn's head in your bed.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

It's the muave hand!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Idk. I mean on the one hand it’s clearly a good thing for trans people to get work in film, and what better role than that of a trans person. On the other hand, a big name actor like Scarlett Johansson playing a trans person in a movie is surely going to shed light on the issues and struggles that trans people deal with daily, probably getting more attention to the film that an actor no one knows.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that you should all listen to me, a cis white male, as my opinions on this matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guess i'll be sleeping with the fishes. specifically, rainbow trout.