Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

cheesetriangles posted:

Add even more micromanagement to Vicky 3. Let me direct where trains go to optimize my goods to market.
Rail gauges when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agean90 posted:

the real pro take on Vicky 3 is not that people will compare it negativity to Vicky 2 after 10 years, it's that well compare it negativly to Vicky 2 with mods

v2 mods are, as a rule, unambitious. ck1 with mods was genuinely superior to ck2 in several ways for years after ck2 came out (much worse in other ways, of course) but v3 could easily surpass modded v2 on launch

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Something I want in a hypothetical V3, one that could either turn out really good or really bad, is language tracking for POPs. I mentioned this a while ago, but I was thinking about those events in V2 where there's "signs in Yankee vs Dixie" and how culture and language are both closely related and at the same time are distinct elements. It could certainly make managing POPs more interesting and complex (or needlessly messy, overly complicated, and ultimately pointless). Of course there are other issues (Romansh? Papua New Guinea and the sheer number of languages there? The fact that language and culture can be very touchy subjects?) that might make Paradox shy away from the idea, but I do think that if properly implemented that it'd be a fascinating new wrinkle to the game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Let your adult woman population work. Also your older children.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

catlord posted:

Something I want in a hypothetical V3, one that could either turn out really good or really bad, is language tracking for POPs. I mentioned this a while ago, but I was thinking about those events in V2 where there's "signs in Yankee vs Dixie" and how culture and language are both closely related and at the same time are distinct elements. It could certainly make managing POPs more interesting and complex (or needlessly messy, overly complicated, and ultimately pointless). Of course there are other issues (Romansh? Papua New Guinea and the sheer number of languages there? The fact that language and culture can be very touchy subjects?) that might make Paradox shy away from the idea, but I do think that if properly implemented that it'd be a fascinating new wrinkle to the game.

yes

just spreadsheet after spreadsheet of socioeconomic and demographic data do it johan only you can make me happy

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The best Vicky2 mod gave me more countries and more events to play with, everything else slowed the game down too much.

cheesetriangles posted:

Let your adult woman population work. Also your older children.

And younger children. If they're old enough to complain, they're old enough to die in the mines damnit.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
What i really want for Vicky 3 is a way for the US to lose their manifest destiny cores or their cores on the south after a significant enough defeat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God wants us to have that land :colbert:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For my Victoria 3, I'd like to see politics radically expanded through the use of characters, institutions other than political parties exerting influence, ideologies that change over time but in non-scripted ways, etc. Vicky has always had such narrowly-defined and bland political mechanics, which sucks for an era of "for the people, by the people" mass politics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Narrator posted:

What i really want for Vicky 3 is a way for the US to lose their manifest destiny cores or their cores on the south after a significant enough defeat.

Yeah Vicky's handling of cores in general is kind of awkward, especially since you can technically gain cores dynamically (although it takes a long time so you won't see it happen for anything but territory you took near the beginning), but you can only lose them through specific pre-determined scenarios (like the early Treaty of London decision that the Netherlands can take where they lose cores on Belgium in exchange for some prestige). I feel like a lot of the issues with Victoria 2 come down to it lying right on the cusp of when Paradox changed their approach from historically driven games where a bunch of stuff happened more or less on a schedule to try to replicate real history as closely as possible, to dynamic, event driven games where the stuff that happens is more a consequence of the mechanics than a pre-designated scenario. Victoria 2 straddles both approaches and I feel like that's one of the big reasons why so many people want a sequel - it is so close to being a modern Paradox game already.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

catlord posted:

I would prefer getting rid of culture in favor of language, and making it matter a lot more. There are all kinds of dubious cultural assignments. North German and South German seem to have been implemented because the devs couldn't be bothered to make POP religion have an in-game effect, for instance. I think I've seen Ashkenazi POPs living in London, which is weird because only British and Anglo-Canadian are accepted. Many large regions that speak one language are split up into weird cultural groups like South Andean and Dixie that don't seem historically that different from their neighbors.

This could easily tie into expanded politics. Vicky 2 has minority parties for cases like Swedish-speaking Finns, but that doesn't make minority communities too important. It would be cool to see linguistic and religious groups acting together to influence government.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
no other paradox game besides ck2 will be good until it takes the character driven nature of ck2

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What if as well as language and religion, there was just a slew of variables for pops so that nationalism can be formed dynamically as similarly-variabled pops start getting together to oppress the marginal differently-variabled pops, and if you while managing your country promote enough integrated multiculturalism, you can suppress the rise of nationalism, but if you look the other way you can get specific benefits at the cost of your immortal soul inefficiencies and stuff like revolt risk and population penalties. You know, like how slavery works.

HoI tries to avoid most modern political implications by leaving fairly little social/political structure simulationism, but like at least half of modern political ideologies have their roots in the 19th century. You can't really dance around them, so you might as well do something high concept and weird. If they're brave enough to try doing Vicky 3, which they're not.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Narrator posted:

i still pine for a continuation of Wiz's AzeriLP so I can finally see what becomes of Ultra Reactionary Cherokee Hellstate of the Prairie

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Mister Olympus posted:

no other paradox game besides ck2 will be good until it takes the character driven nature of ck2

:emptyquote:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Fuligin posted:

i still pine for a continuation of Wiz's AzeriLP so I can finally see what becomes of Ultra Reactionary Cherokee Hellstate of the Prairie

For the hoi4 mod i was working on way back i wanted to give Cherokee some options for a royal marriage with the Kingdom of America with the potential for outright annexation, a dual-crown compromise or just a formal alliance. IIRC Cherokee in the game still had slavery legal in 1920 (albeit rationalized in the fiction as contractual indentured servitude). There presumably would've been some tension between absolutist Cherokee and the 'enlightened' monarchy of the USA.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mister Olympus posted:

They tricked me with Imperator....I just wanted Classical Character Driven Grand Strategy RPG, is that too much to ask? :negative:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Narrator posted:

The game just needs to distinguish entirely between cores accepted by your accepted pops, and cores accepted by everyone else. So like, your accepted culture pops might be fine/happy with you conquering your cores in Serbia, while your non-accepted pops get angry, your Serbian pops really angry, and foreign powers look on in disapproval.

Then make Manifest Destiny available to New World great powers, applicable to all contiguous neighboring uncolonized areas/low pop states at the time you press the button. Manifest Destiny cores expire if a state has too many non-accepted culture pops.

Jazerus posted:

v2 mods are, as a rule, unambitious. ck1 with mods was genuinely superior to ck2 in several ways for years after ck2 came out (much worse in other ways, of course) but v3 could easily surpass modded v2 on launch
Yeah, I really can’t think of a Magna Mundi equivalent for V2 either.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I would prefer getting rid of culture in favor of language, and making it matter a lot more. There are all kinds of dubious cultural assignments.

Or maybe they should drop culture as a term. I mean I know Long 19th Century was the time of nationalism but by that time nationalism constructed nations, not the other way around. All those Bretons and Acquitans or whatever of France were French from the point of view of French nationalism. In general, this culture system doesn't have much sense in any period, I feel. You can talk about something like Loyalty which never changes for any province/POP, so that Basques or Angolans always dream about their own country (maybe nationalism itself only kicks in when the province becomes more developed or POPs are conscious/educated enough). And you have tolerated loyalty, or allegiance or something - so that those Basques or Angolans become content with French rule with the menace of nationalism never going away, just sleeping and waiting till those lands become prosperous/conscious/educated enough.

I mean back at EU4 times there were very few times when culture specifically was a problem for conquest. And in Vic2 times there was a lot of paranoia about national minorities betraying their masters but it mostly happened during wars, e.g. Slavic troops of Austria-Hungary surrendering to Russians during WW1. Not sure it's big enough deal to require modeling that whole culture system.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Surviving_Mars/status/1181192607772360704

Surviving Mars but in a Fallout Earth could be cool and good.

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1181193470737862657

Oooooh poo poo EGS exclusive :allears:

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 7, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is that the big announcement? Kinda boring

feller
Jul 5, 2006

No they’re just publisher for that game

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao gonna be a fun crowd at pdxcon when they say epic.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Egs exclusive only for early access it looks like

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Egs exclusive only for early access it looks like

So they won't have a Steam page for a year?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Okay, this is Epic.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
And Surviving Mars will be free to get in a couple of days on Epic Game Store.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Surviving Mars is absolutely great now, but apparently on launch it was, woof. So yeah, I can wait for it to shape up, definitely.

That said, the conceit of recolonizing Earth from Mars is rather poignant considering you were doing the opposite in the first game, and I'm interested.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
unless they do something with the UI I don't see it taking off, Surviving Mars was unplayable for me and with time there will be even more big monitors, not less

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hope they make the whole Mars thing optional, wanna build some mad Max city where I harvest methane from pigs to fuel my raiders cars

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Only last week I was asking for a Frostpunk that wasn’t ice-themed. :toot:

Was Surviving Mars any good? I never gave it a look.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ilitarist posted:

And Surviving Mars will be free to get in a couple of days on Epic Game Store.

Sweet. I had it on my wishlist for a while, waiting for a good sale

It seems like the kind of stuff I enjoy, but reviews are so mixed

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Unfortunate that’s it’s on the Epic store. But it’s fine I have so many games to play, I can wait a year! Hopefully the shareholders understand.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ilitarist posted:

Or maybe they should drop culture as a term. I mean I know Long 19th Century was the time of nationalism but by that time nationalism constructed nations, not the other way around.
An interesting phrasing, given that it can be read in two entirely opposite ways depending on your definition of nation. In any case, I'd argue that it was not an either/or thing. Nationalism forged states, but those states also forged national identities. Or failed to do so in some cases.

ilitarist posted:

All those Bretons and Acquitans or whatever of France were French from the point of view of French nationalism.
Yet the French state still pursued a policy of linguicide during the entire period covered by Victoria, and right up to fall of the USSR. The earlier suggestion of making language more of a thing would definitely make sense, given the priorities of the historical states and the challenges language caused in others.

Of course another factor that should realistically be a part of the game would be race, but I'm not sure Paradox really wants to step into that minefield.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ilitarist posted:

And in Vic2 times there was a lot of paranoia about national minorities betraying their masters but it mostly happened during wars, e.g. Slavic troops of Austria-Hungary surrendering to Russians during WW1. Not sure it's big enough deal to require modeling that whole culture system.

There was some of that, but also nationalism heavily flavored many of the revolutions of the period. Not just rebelling against their masters, but forcing revolutionaries to fight against eachother. In 1948 there was a whole dang chain of Hungarian nationalists jostling for power against the Austrians, but some of the other peoples beneath Austrian control who were, in the complicated imperial system, subordinate to the Hungarians, sided with the Austrians against the Hungarian nationalists.

This was also the weird point of nationalism that pulled people together almost as much as pushing them apart. It's what forged Italy and Germany in addition to inspiring the greeks and czechs to break from the states that controlled them. If you zoom out even further you could consider the formation of Switzerland and Zionism to be expressions of nationalism, while Yugoslavia and Grand Columbia are failed attempts at forging a type of nationalism.

Which is all very confusing, and in some ways, each individual nation's nationalism is very specifically different from every other's in different ways with different emphasis. Even tracking languages through time can be complicated. Modern German was put together after casting a fairly wide net.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Played some Imperator this weekend.

Game is bigly improved imo. Although I only got like 120 years through a single run so we'll see how long the feeling lasts. At a minimum it has been upgraded from "total rear end" to "a video game". Maybe it's good we'll see.

Some weird poo poo still going on though. A character in my nation (Rome) was very upset that he wasn't being elected Consul. So upset that he eventually start a civil war. The incident consisted of a sudden popup declaring that I'd won a civil war, and what should be done with the userpers? Under that popup was a popup telling me that Guy was so upset and not being Consul that he'd started a civil war. Under that popup was a popup telling me a new Consul has been elected.

These were all the same in-game day. I guess he "started a civil war" but had no forces or loyal provinces or something it was an instant loss. It seemed really early too, I didn't even have the whole peninsula yet.

"Triumvir" achievement unlocked bithc!!!!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

StarMinstrel posted:

Unfortunate that’s it’s on the Epic store. But it’s fine I have so many games to play, I can wait a year! Hopefully the shareholders understand.

Are you allergic to other storefronts after GamersGate was spun off from Paradox? :ohdear:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Beamed posted:

Are you allergic to other storefronts after GamersGate was spun off from Paradox? :ohdear:

Every time the words epic appears on screen somewhere, I get uncontrollable rashes on top of epileptic attacks. Just writing the word now has burned my fingerprints off. poo poo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StarMinstrel posted:

Every time the words epic appears on screen somewhere, I get uncontrollable rashes on top of epileptic attacks. Just writing the word now has burned my fingerprints off. poo poo.
This but ironically.

They can keep their epic exclusives, plenty of other games to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

This but ironically.

They can keep their epic exclusives, plenty of other games to buy.

Yeah, I'm not ok with the balkanization of media on different platforms. It's bad enough with TV, I don't want to install a bunch of different terrible front-ends to play games. Steam is bad enough but it's the devil I know, I don't need more of that poo poo. Either make everything platform neutral or I'm torrenting (or more likely just ignoring) that poo poo.