Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone making Groceries its own master category, and then split it into types of things you shop for? Like Food, Snacks, Non-Food and whatever might apply, and then split the bill over them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I do that for hobbies since I care about if I’m spending money on wood or fabric or electronic components or music gear

Groceries I don’t give a poo poo, but I do separate out fast food vs restaurants vs drinking

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone making Groceries its own master category, and then split it into types of things you shop for? Like Food, Snacks, Non-Food and whatever might apply, and then split the bill over them all?

Sorta. I split up the purchase into groceries (including snacks), alcohol and household goods.

As the other poster said, I don't really care how much I'm spending on snacks vs groceries when I go to the grocery store. If I'm splurging on snacks though I may put it into my "fun money" category. It all depends on what bucket I feel like the purchase fits into.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: Groceries: Any and all food purchases made at grocery store, as well as beer, shared personal care products, and some cleaning products, go into "Groceries, Household". I keep a few things like my anti-perspirant and my dog's food and things on a "Groceries, Personal" category (stuff not used by the "household"). Some odds and ends like a mop I just bought, kitchen utensils, and other similar items go into a separate "Home Goods/Tools/Equipment".

I have a live-in girlfriend at the moment so my categories have all sorts of odd splits due to the expense sharing scheme we've worked out.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

this sounds insane to me unless you're doing a specific diet situation?

My food is in Groceries (bought at the grocery store, or the liquor store), Lunch (bought while at work), and Restaurants. iused to separate out like paper towels into household goods but I mostly don't bother

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

For me much everything I buy at the grocery store goes into groceries. Restaurants go into restaurants. Breweries, liquor store, or drinks at a bar go into booze.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Defenestration posted:

this sounds insane to me unless you're doing a specific diet situation?
Not specifically diet, but to identify "Jesus, way too much money on candy/alcohol" situations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
We just have a single grocery category, but we also keep track and categorize each receipt line item in a spreadsheet.

Every six months or so we will have a look at a pivot table of the sub categories and total $ spent and see if any bad habits have been formed, but it's not particularly useful for us to have it as a part of the budget to manage.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a way to just quickly copy all the budget values from last month into the next one? There was that little lightning bolt in ynab4 that had the option to do that for your whole budget and it seems like I'm supposed to check each category individually every month now? I did a fresh start and I want to be more granular but not if I have to fuss with it all the time

edit: durr... you can select more than one category and then select budget value from last month

I'm gonna have lines for every kind of food I buy, I want to know how much I spend on cherry tomatoes as opposed to the regular kind

greazeball fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 6, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

greazeball posted:

Is there a way to just quickly copy all the budget values from last month into the next one? There was that little lightning bolt in ynab4 that had the option to do that for your whole budget and it seems like I'm supposed to check each category individually every month now? I did a fresh start and I want to be more granular but not if I have to fuss with it all the time

edit: durr... you can select more than one category and then select budget value from last month

I'm gonna have lines for every kind of food I buy, I want to know how much I spend on cherry tomatoes as opposed to the regular kind

Is that something they removed from ynab 4? I don't think I ever seen it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

HardDiskD posted:

Is that something they removed from ynab 4? I don't think I ever seen it.

It's there in the last version of YNAB 4.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

It's there in the last version of YNAB 4.

:aaa: I never noticed this

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has nYNAB never supported carrying over negative category balances between months?

I have a "Reimbursables" category (work expenses that'll eventually get reimbursed) that I log transactions to to help prepare for formal expense reporting. I'm currently on a business trip that started at the tail end of September and has carried over into October, and so this category ended September with a negative balance.

I know that, typically, categories with negative balances automatically reduce To Be Budgeted when you move to the next month. What I'm bristling against is the fact that, for October, Reimbursables is only showing a negative balance equal to the expenses I've currently logged for October. I'm hoping there's an option somewhere to prevent To Be Budgeted from being deducted to "cover" September's balance, so that when I'm looking at my October budget that account's balance shows the true total negative balance across months.

If not, oh well, I know that when I get reimbursed the amount I'll get back for September's expenses will cause a positive balance to show for this category, which I can then transfer to To Be Budgeted. At which point this is all kind of a non-issue...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

No they're morally opposed to rolling over a balance month to month in nYNAB.

What I'm doing in my fresh start is making a category called "expenses float" which will be the cash we use to cover my wife's expenses until she gets paid back, then I'll budget $0 to it each month and just use that to cover the balance and route the expense payments there. It's more accurate I guess but it does seem like a pain when I've been on rule 4 for years and it would be weird if like all of our catastrophic categories, including our emergency buffer, needed to be emptied out while she's got $348 in expenses outstanding but I guess we'll now be covered in that scenario.

Also this should make it relatively easy to keep track of her finance dept, if the budgeted amount isn't square every few months we'll know something's up.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

nwin posted:

Dog walkers cost $550/month? Holy poo poo.

yep give or take, Boston prices

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Has nYNAB never supported carrying over negative category balances between months?
Like more than two years ago in a reddit AMA, that Jesse guy claimed they'd be working on a solution that's functionality similar. Guess what happened.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IAmKale posted:

I have a "Reimbursables" category (work expenses that'll eventually get reimbursed) that I log transactions to to help prepare for formal expense reporting. I'm currently on a business trip that started at the tail end of September and has carried over into October, and so this category ended September with a negative balance.

I know that, typically, categories with negative balances automatically reduce To Be Budgeted when you move to the next month. What I'm bristling against is the fact that, for October, Reimbursables is only showing a negative balance equal to the expenses I've currently logged for October. I'm hoping there's an option somewhere to prevent To Be Budgeted from being deducted to "cover" September's balance, so that when I'm looking at my October budget that account's balance shows the true total negative balance across months.

If not, oh well, I know that when I get reimbursed the amount I'll get back for September's expenses will cause a positive balance to show for this category, which I can then transfer to To Be Budgeted. At which point this is all kind of a non-issue...

You can always budget a negative number for the category next month. That’s what I do for my reimbursables.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You can always budget a negative number for the category next month. That’s what I do for my reimbursables.

Oh this is a great workaround. This has been my biggest nYNAB pain point for a while now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If we're still doing categories, here is what I have in financier and you can now make fun of me:

Giving - Charitable
Monthly Bills - Mortgage (969.58)
Monthly Bills - Home Taxes (240)
Monthly Bills - Home Insurance (70)
Monthly Bills - Titan (500)
Monthly Bills - Phone (47.43)
Monthly Bills - Internet (39.95)
Monthly Bills - Electricity
Monthly Bills - Heating (100)
Monthly Bills - Daycare (600-750)
Monthly Bills - Cleaning (60)
Monthly Bills - Roth IRAs (350)
Monthly Bills - 529 plans (120)
Monthly Bills - Car Insurance (100)
Monthly Bills - Life Insurance (38)
Monthly Bills - ATV/Motorcycle Insurance (9)
Monthly Bills - Garbage (16)
Monthly Bills - Recycling (5)
Monthly Bills - Netflix (13.77)
Monthly Bills - Amazon Prime (12)
Monthly Bills - Sam's Club (4)
Monthly Bills - Personal Article Insurance (3)
Monthly Bills - Google Drive (1.99)
Monthly Bills - Lastpass (3.50)
Monthly Bills - Plex (4)
Monthly Bills - Youtube Red (10.59)
Monthly Bills - Backblaze (5)
Monthly Bills - Financier (1)
Monthly Bills - Amazon Freetime (8)
Monthly Bills - Youtube TV (51)
Monthly Bills - Playstation Plus (6)
Monthly Bills - Car Wash (28)
Monthly Bills - Weight Watchers (19.95)
Monthly Bills - iCloud (0.99)
Everyday Expenses - Groceries
Everyday Expenses - Restaurants
Everyday Expenses - Fuel
Everyday Expenses - Household Goods (80)
Everyday Expenses - Personal (50)
Everyday Expenses - Entertainment (50)
Everyday Expenses - Entertaining (40)
Everyday Expenses - Kids Needs (125)
Everyday Expenses - Clothing
Everyday Expenses - Kids Entertainment (40)
Everyday Expenses - <me> Spending (50)
Everyday Expenses - <wife> Spending (50)
Everyday Expenses - <kid 1> Spending (20)
Everyday Expenses - <kid 2> Spending (20)
Everyday Expenses - Fun with friends
Everyday Expenses - Pet (30)
Everyday Expenses - Misc
Everyday Expenses - <kid 1> Birthday - Pappy
Everyday Expenses - <kid 2> Birthday - Pappy
Everyday Expenses - <kid 1> Sports
Everyday Expenses - <kid 2> Sports
Everyday Expenses - Magazines
Rainy Day Funds - Medical
Rainy Day Funds - Fitness
Rainy Day Funds - Emergency Fund
Rainy Day Funds - Car Maintenance
Rainy Day Funds - Home Maintenance
Rainy Day Funds - Birthdays
Rainy Day Funds - Christmas
Rainy Day Funds - Big purchases
Rainy Day Funds - Gifts
Rainy Day Funds - Taxes
Savings Goals - Mortgage Principal Payment
Savings Goals - Vacation
Savings Goals - Deck replacement
Savings Goals - <wife> Eyeballs
Savings Goals - Disney
Savings Goals - <wife> Phone
Savings Goals - Motorcycle Gear
Savings Goals - Basement TV
Savings Goals - <me> ATV!!!!
House Desuckification - Landscaping
House Desuckification - Tree removal
House Desuckification - Bathroom Project
House Desuckification - Basement Upgrades
House Desuckification - Residing project
House Desuckification - HVAC
House Desuckification - Driveway
House Desuckification - Garage

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

So as someone who's moving from YNAB4 to nYNAB, I've been pretty happy so far.

PROS: Apparently, they got reports in 2016 so the thing I thought was missing was actually there. Yeah, they're not as granular (I think in old YNAB you could select individual payees, for example), but the export function is right there if you want to really get into it. The speed is really good, undo is nice to have, and the interface change doesn't bother me too much except that you now only see one month at a time in the budget instead of the 4 month view. It's nice that I can uninstall Dropbox on a few more devices now too.

CONS: I'm still getting used to the app, I always used to choose the category first before adding a new transaction and now when you tap a category you set the monthly allotted funds. I wish there was a "new transaction" widget I could put on my phone's desktop. Making split transactions is much easier in the new app. I don't like that you can only make one note per category instead of the monthly notes in the column (I used to move funds around a lot and I liked to keep track of it with notes). I'm trying to do the credit cards the way they want but I don't really like it--I pay my poo poo off in full and the credit card payment category always kind of throws me off. We'll see what reconciliation is like in a few weeks.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it and I know I got a ton of value for the $50 or whatever it was I spent back in 2013 so I'm OK with paying for it. I can't imagine going back to life without it and I don't ever want to be in a place where I've got a broken budget and can't fix it on my own schedule so what choice do I really have? I think it's pretty good though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you pay your poo poo in full every month, just make the account a checking account and avoid all the headaches of credit card payments. It’s made my YNAB’ing so much easier.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I saw that biweekly paychecks came up a few pages back and thought I'd write up some methods I'm using to put my budget on a uniform per-paycheck basis. This is not a YNAB post and I don't know how adaptable it is to YNAB. I use Excel and a mobile app called Simple Budget Envelopes.

At a high level, I'm using sinking funds (link, link). These are normally recommended for occasional expenses like insurance premiums, annual subscriptions and large saving goals. Income tax withholding and property tax escrows are familiar examples of sinking funds. You create a budget account and save an amount from each paycheck that is the total amount you need to save, divided by the number of pay periods you have to save it. This avoids sudden large expenses and dipping into emergency funds for expenses that aren't emergencies.

That's simple enough for the occasional expenses, but I've always had biweekly paychecks, and I wanted to handle monthly expenses the same way. The following math can be adjusted for other expense and pay frequencies.

Consider a stable expense that costs E per month. Each month will have either two or three paychecks to save from, and three-paycheck months will happen on a cycle when the accumulated difference between a month and two pay periods spills over as an extra pay period: 14 / (365 / 12 - 2 x 14) = about every 5.8 months. You could use the sinking fund method directly and deal with the cycle in two different ways. You could vary your saving amount according to the number of paychecks in a month, or you could save E/2 from each paycheck and skip third paychecks when they come around. Either way, you save S = 14 x (12 x E / 365) = 0.46 x E from each paycheck on average.

Is it possible to save exactly the average amount from each paycheck and maintain a fund balance that always covers the expense without waste? Yes, in theory, but the tricky part is priming the fund. Suppose that you start a sinking fund immediately after making a payment. At first, you can save E/2 into the fund from each paycheck, including third paychecks. Eventually, after you complete a three-paycheck month, the balance left in the fund after a payment will exceed S. Then the fund is primed. You can reduce the fund balance to S and save S from each subsequent paycheck.

It's not necessary to set this up for all monthly expenses at at the same time. You can choose large or small expenses based on how tight your budget is and how quickly you want to build up the funds. Once the funds are primed, you'll have a stable amount going into each monthly expense, and you can move on to budgeting any discretionary income.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 15, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
On my third month of YNAB now and have understood it better. Seems like we managed to save an additional $800 last month. Some of it are costs that aren't actually paid every month, but for example depreciation on cars, annual payments that I've spread out on each month etc. Really great to have this in the budget as it'll never get compensated for during the year, and then get paid without us "saving up" for the cost. Otherwise much of these costs would just disappear in random spending.
Also, at first I didn't like that YNAB didn't save the budget that I had spent so much time setting up. Now I actually much prefer using the "average budgeted" function, as it helps having a bit more realistic budget as well as seeing where money can easily be saved etc. On track for $1000 more in our savings this month.
This is much due to my income being a bit fluid as I have plenty of weekend days and nights on call as a doctor now, which helps to boost income (even though taxes take a ton, need to calculate how much I should request in money vs time off...).

So far we are absolutely loving YNAB. Best $80 spent in ages. I even set a ridiculous savings goal for the hell of it, but now kinda want to try to go for it haha.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone know where I can still grab the installer for YNAB4? It seems they've removed it from their website.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anyone know where I can still grab the installer for YNAB4? It seems they've removed it from their website.

It's still on the website. I searched for it oh their site and got it just last night. Here's the link

You'll have to have your activation code though - they removed the lookup tool.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there a way to actually delete payess from YNAB4? I know I can disable them, but I wanted to get rid of them completely.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EDIT: You got me the link, thank you!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

Is there a way to actually delete payess from YNAB4? I know I can disable them, but I wanted to get rid of them completely.

If you've removed all the transactions associated with the payee you want to delete, you can rename them to an existing payee and then remove the rename rule, effectively deleting the payee.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
I know this is a very simple answer to this, but I just can’t figure it out. Every time I log in, it seems to default to October, (when I made the switch from YNAB4 to the ‘new’ online version). Where the heck is the option to display the current month upon log in?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Madbullogna posted:

I know this is a very simple answer to this, but I just can’t figure it out. Every time I log in, it seems to default to October, (when I made the switch from YNAB4 to the ‘new’ online version). Where the heck is the option to display the current month upon log in?

Are you using a saved url that has the date in the parameters?

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

FateFree posted:

Are you using a saved url that has the date in the parameters?

I am a moron. Thank you, that's exactly what I had done when I saved the link. All better now.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
How do you all budget your emergency fund? Do you have a category with thousand of dollars sitting in it, or do you budget months ahead? I have been doing the latter, but I'm not sure if that is the intent.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Baronash posted:

How do you all budget your emergency fund? Do you have a category with thousand of dollars sitting in it, or do you budget months ahead? I have been doing the latter, but I'm not sure if that is the intent.

I take my average monthly expenses (from ynabs history) multiply by 6 and leave that amount of cash sitting in the category. You could only go out 3 months, depends on your life. The real cash is in a savings account. I found no reason to give it any more complexity than this. That money isnt used for budgetting months ahead, my paychecks do that. Its for an actual emergency that might happen

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We had a category with the money budgeted to it and then when my wife quit her job to go back to school, we moved money out of the category so the budget would balance. Cash was mostly in the savings account until the current account balance got too low.

We've built it back up now and it's just sitting there in a hidden category.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I keep my emergency fund in an off-budget account and then any transfer to that account just goes in as the Emergency fund category in the budget.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I keep mine in an on-budget category.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Baronash posted:

nYNAB kinda hosed this up

You should be doing both.

You should always be budgeting a paycheck you get this month to next months budget, such that you are always living on at least money that you were paid last month

Past that, you should have an emergency fund for when poo poo comes up, that you can pull from. Say your car explodes, you just throw a negative balance on the emergency category, throw a corresponding positive balance on the car category, and move on.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Sockser posted:

nYNAB kinda hosed this up

You should be doing both.

You should always be budgeting a paycheck you get this month to next months budget, such that you are always living on at least money that you were paid last month

Past that, you should have an emergency fund for when poo poo comes up, that you can pull from. Say your car explodes, you just throw a negative balance on the emergency category, throw a corresponding positive balance on the car category, and move on.

I'm doing both in nYNAB - I budget a month ahead, and have two emergency funds. One income replacement fund where we are aiming to save 3 months of full joint income, and a separate fund for day to day emergency stuff - cat gets sick, something needs replacing, big medical stuff. Both emergency funds are on budgets and in a savings account we have easy access to.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
We're doing our 6 monthly, "should we move over to nynab" check. I just searched how to share a budget with partner and got this thread.

God it's sooooo difficult to like YNAB as an org and product, even when the method has made such a huge positive impact on our lives. There's this sort of cultish air to all the communities (forums, reddit etc) and the staff and official comms all come off like they love the smell of their own farts even as they give you terrible advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Xik posted:

We're doing our 6 monthly, "should we move over to nynab" check. I just searched how to share a budget with partner and got this thread.

God it's sooooo difficult to like YNAB as an org and product, even when the method has made such a huge positive impact on our lives. There's this sort of cultish air to all the communities (forums, reddit etc) and the staff and official comms all come off like they love the smell of their own farts even as they give you terrible advice.

poo poo-I think my annual subscription is running out soon.

Maybe I’ll just make a spreadsheet and try that out for a while. None of the other programs seem to offer auto-import.