Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Perfect Cell blasts Android Sixteen, smashing the body, tearing the flesh, and severing the head! The severed part sails off in an arc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nessus posted:

Can a dwarf use the Destructo Disk to substitute for an axe?

Woops. I had the wrong thread opened!!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for the info, all.

Nettle Soup posted:

Pretty much. I've got to the point where I run a destress or whatever it is in dfhack every now and again. Even Toady has admitted it's broken, so I don't feel too bad about it.
How often should I run destress without it being cheaty? I haven't played dwarf fortress since right before minecarts got introduced so I'm not really sure about these new issues.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Is anyone able to take over the current LP? We lost an overseer right after my turn ended, so you'd get the next year to yourself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sankis posted:

Woops. I had the wrong thread opened!!
Don't dodge the question!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The Perfect Cell blasts Android Sixteen, smashing the body, tearing the flesh, and severing the head! The severed part sails off in an arc!

"I've been injured recently, but feel better now."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

So, for some dwarves, life in a fortress is just a morbid shitshow of endless trauma that will inevitably drive them insane? Is that it? :iit:

Why even live (as a dwarf)?

Captain Invictus posted:

Now I want to see an armless, legless dwarf gnaw a forgotten beast to death.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 7, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Just saw this post on reddit about how to extract venom from weapons and apply them to your own weapons and even your teeth and fingers... anyone else know about this?

quote:

I've tried looking up methods of poisoning weapons but they usually involved forgotten beasts or fortress mode. This method was discovered when I found a pool of venom randomly while stabbing things with poisoned darts. I then messed around with those pools which led to this.

This requires 3 things. You need a water source, a weapon with venom already on it (usually from subterranean animal people), and an animal or companion.

Take the venomous weapon, in my case it was a tower-cap blow dart with a helmet snake venom covering, and put it in your hand. Enter the water with it, and you will see a pool of venom form in the water tile. Normally, you can fill containers with an infinite amount of venom from a pool, but since it's in water it becomes laced with water, which is useless. In order to move it onto a land tile and purify it, you must move back and forth between the land and water tile until a pool of venom forms on the land tile because of the spatter spreading mechanic. This method of dwarven distillation concentrates the dilute venom in the water into a potent pool on land where you can either grab it with your hands or fill a water skin.

There are three methods of using this against your enemies. You may rub it on your teeth for biting, on your hands for scratching, or put it on a weapon. To get it on your teeth and hands, you must strip naked (or the venom will only covers your clothes) and throw venom on a wall until a line of venom pools are created. Then you crouch (doesn't work with standing) with (s) and crawl across from pool to pool multiple times until the spattering and smears turn into coverings. A single pool will not work, you must crawl from one pool to another only, multiple times. I tested this with four pools. By pressing (e) you can see your body parts are now covered with venom, including the teeth and fingers. Biting something will transfer the venom into the enemy, you can see this by pressing (l) on the enemy and seeing if it transferred onto the body part you bit. The same applies to scratching. I tested this on a cave crocodile and the bitten and scratched body parts swelled up with blood, so I assume it worked. To poison a weapon, you throw the venom at your companion or animal and smack him bluntly (edge might cause blood spattering instead) on the part it landed on with your weapon. I tested this by throwing helmet snake venom at my gorlak companion and hitting him with the pommel of my large copper dagger until a covering of venom formed on the weapon. This might require multiple fresh venom coverings since I'm not sure if a full covering can form from hitting a spattering or smear multiple times. I then slashed the same cave crocodile, ran away, and waited until the part swelled up from the venom. If the weapon embeds, it ruins the venom covering instantly since it replaces it with a blood covering. However it's usually good for a few slashes, and not every attack is guaranteed to apply the venom.

Have FUN.

P.S I also found out if your hands are full you actually CAN (g)rab venom directly from the water since it sends it to the backpack. If you try grabbing it with empty hands it doesn't appear in your hands for some reason. And if you try putting (i)t in a water skin it becomes laced water. So in case the back and forth method doesn't work (which it doesn't sometimes) try this instead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

So, for some dwarves, life in a fortress is just a morbid shitshow of endless trauma that will inevitably drive them insane? Is that it? :iit:

Why even live (as a dwarf)?

Almost, but it's more... like, life in a fortress is always a morbid shitshow of endless trauma, but dwarves handle it differently.

The difference is that some dwarves (1) get a huge kick out of certain positive experiences, (2) prioritize those positive experiences over other tasks they could be doing, and (3) prefer experiences that are readily available in your fort. Other dwarves are missing one or more of those three factors.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dwarves will sometimes get a bad thought from being away from family because they emigrated to your fortress alone, or because they've been too busy working, which makes sense even if it's kind of obnoxious.

But dwarves will also get a bad thought from being away from family because they've spent all their recreational time praying instead of socializing, or even because they coincidentally happened to be next to someone else in the tavern and fraternized with them instead.

If this goes on long enough it will eventually go from affecting focus (a meter that affects crafting and causes a few other job-related issues, but usually won't debilitate the dwarf by itself) to affecting stress (the meter that eventually causes melancholy, berserking, etc.)

This single factor doesn't affect stress very much by itself. But now combine that with food preferences, drink preferences, work satisfaction, worship, acquisition of new belongings...

e: Basically you can't actually make a dwarf be happy about everything, it ranges from impractical (requiring you to micro-manage their relationships, grow every single crop imaginable, etc.) to literally impossible. The best you can do is filter for dwarves who like the things you can provide so much that they eventually just achieve a state of semi-permanent bliss.

(This used to be a fair description of all dwarves, so all the change has really done is made is so you have to deal with entire waves of useless burnouts before things finally stabilize, if you're one of the apparently somewhat rare people who play fortresses for that long.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 7, 2019

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So Math posted:

Is anyone able to take over the current LP? We lost an overseer right after my turn ended, so you'd get the next year to yourself.

I'll do it but if agreed, know that I'll go in completely blind and under no circumstance will I read the rest of the lp thread before my turn is finished.

Edit: I'd just need to know any gimmicks, how people have been doing their turn write ups (i. e. is it in character? ) and whether I need to use a graphical tileset

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 7, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It’s ridiculous how insanely complicated it is as a workaround for something that hasn’t been implemented proper. Toady should just program it in.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dwarves will sometimes get a bad thought from being away from family because they emigrated to your fortress alone, or because they've been too busy working, which makes sense even if it's kind of obnoxious.

But dwarves will also get a bad thought from being away from family because they've spent all their recreational time praying instead of socializing, or even because they coincidentally happened to be next to someone else in the tavern and fraternized with them instead.

If this goes on long enough it will eventually go from affecting focus (a meter that affects crafting and causes a few other job-related issues, but usually won't debilitate the dwarf by itself) to affecting stress (the meter that eventually causes melancholy, berserking, etc.)

This single factor doesn't affect stress very much by itself. But now combine that with food preferences, drink preferences, work satisfaction, worship, acquisition of new belongings...

e: Basically you can't actually make a dwarf be happy about everything, it ranges from impractical (requiring you to micro-manage their relationships, grow every single crop imaginable, etc.) to literally impossible. The best you can do is filter for dwarves who like the things you can provide so much that they eventually just achieve a state of semi-permanent bliss.

(This used to be a fair description of all dwarves, so all the change has really done is made is so you have to deal with entire waves of useless burnouts before things finally stabilize, if you're one of the apparently somewhat rare people who play fortresses for that long.)
Do the dwarflets that your dwarves beget eventually develop a preference for things they have laying around, or do they always develop completely random longings for things they've never heard of, and which indeed may not exist?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

Do the dwarflets that your dwarves beget eventually develop a preference for things they have laying around, or do they always develop completely random longings for things they've never heard of, and which indeed may not exist?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but I haven't thought to test it deliberately.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Were it to be that an engraving of a cheese wheel flanked by three five-pointed stars did not exist we would be obligated to invent it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sankis posted:

I'll do it but if agreed, know that I'll go in completely blind and under no circumstance will I read the rest of the lp thread before my turn is finished.

Edit: I'd just need to know any gimmicks, how people have been doing their turn write ups (i. e. is it in character? ) and whether I need to use a graphical tileset

We've been passing the game around via a complete LNP package. We've been sticking with a specific tileset for consistency, but you should be able to just unzip, zoom in two clicks with the mouse wheel (we set up a very specific resolution in the ini to make screenshots the right size, and a bit of zoom is needed to make the text clear) and go.

There's been little specific gimmick. I started it with a "this haunted volcano is sucking us in, and I am strangely obsessed with it" notion that a few others went with, but there's no need to do anything other than play natural.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Sankis posted:

That's fine. I ended my turn setting up the next player who vanished, so it's probably best to ignore that part anyway. But maybe don't ignore the active lava flow dribbling down the mountain from my last update?

All the tiles/mods are bundled in the giant zip we've been passing around on dropbox. I'll PM a link.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

So Math posted:

That's fine. I ended my turn setting up the next player who vanished, so it's probably best to ignore that part anyway. But maybe don't ignore the active lava flow dribbling down the mountain from my last update?

All the tiles/mods are bundled in the giant zip we've been passing around on dropbox. I'll PM a link.

Sounds good! If pm doesn't work for some reason my email is my username at gmail.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

What does it mean if I got the message that the king arrived only for the Outpost liason to show up and no one else? Any chance he'll come later or did he die enroute or something?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Might have been the king died offsite and his heir was already at the fortress and inherited the title.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

That's the thing. My nobles list has no king, either.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Volcano ghost demon king

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just finished the last part of Honeystoker during my lunch break today.

drat, what a great series that was! :shittypop: The beginning was kind of slow-going, but the middle was great and the ending chapters were amazing. Bravo!

Btw, I would totally pay money to read a comic or graphic novel with Atir as the protagonist (with a prologue or Gaiden side comic about the adventures of Mosus and the goblin).

Any other Krugg series you all recommend working on through now?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 14, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bastion of Beasts and the followup Largegate, assuming you've not watched Monsterkiller yet.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

Bastion of Beasts and the followup Largegate, assuming you've not watched Monsterkiller yet.

Haven't seen any of those yet, thanks! :D

At first, I was rolling at my eyes at the whole "ya bastards" and whistling gimmick, but the narrative and artwork really got me hooked and only then I could see it for the gold it really was.

It also helps I'm not really familiar with the endgame spoiler content of Dwarf Fortress itself, so the (Honeystoker ending chapters spoilers) demon creatures and their lairs at Profaneblocked and Gugo Oozeburial himself really unnerved me and had me tense about what was to come like the Eclipse in Berserk, well done.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 14, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hi folks, I wanted you to know I just created a base building megathread here. Hope you find it helpful, and please leave comments in the thread, thanks.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I gave in and couldn't wait for the steam release of this so I got the latest file and fired it up. It's been years since I've played. I'm kind of disturbed by how well I remember the UI.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

quote:

At some point early on, perhaps before traitors, we'll also have to bring the fort in line with the new relationship model. This will expand what grudges and friendships mean, and it will also allow the new w.g. features like divorce and multiple lovers to happen in fort mode.

I can't wait for my first mood spiral based on some dwarf finding out their spouse is cheating on them

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just keep generating until you get a world where all Dwarven civs are polyamorous.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't wait for a lady dwarf to go full Lorena Bobbitt on her husband.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want more marital drama in this game, including divorce proceedings. I want every dwarven marriage to basically be the Honeymooners with magma.

I also want interspecies marriage so that someone can, in theory, marry a Minotaur or something.

In general I want more possibilities for legal problems that would let me make use of my jail. Also a courtroom please.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I won't be happy until Dwarf Fortress is just simulating a fantasy game of ss13 with ai

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shibawanko posted:

I want more marital drama in this game, including divorce proceedings. I want every dwarven marriage to basically be the Honeymooners with magma.

I also want interspecies marriage so that someone can, in theory, marry a Minotaur or something.

In general I want more possibilities for legal problems that would let me make use of my jail. Also a courtroom please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SINs8e6sQ

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I installed this for the first time in probably like 5 years and played a fortress and adventurer and man Toady really needs to focus on making this more playable before adding more poo poo. I'm not talking about the UI or anything, I'm not one of the crazy people who think it's good but it's totally usable. It's a ton little things like piles of used clothing and junk dropping fps in fortress mode or adventure mode being unplayable when you go anywhere that has a significant population that need work. I know he wants to lean more towards the simulation side of things but what's the point when the simulation can't even be run beyond a certain point? Even if dwarfs got rid of used clothing with no fps hit does anyone really want to spend the majority of their time in a fortress churning out pants, shirts and shoes for 200+ dwarfs? He's dropped the economy before so it's not totally unprecedented to cut back on features in the name of gameplay. This is totally ignoring the fact that dwarfs are hosed in the head currently and you have to use a third party utility to keep a fortress from descending into civil war because someone went outside when it was raining, which I understand he intends to scale back. This game was amazing back in 2008, but it's not 2008 anymore and a lot of people have taken Toady's ideas from this and polished them into a more playable form even if they haven't matched them in scale. There needed to be a big pass where he cuts a bunch of tedious and fps killing stuff like 4 years ago.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

toady doesn't play fortress mode and doesn't seem to understand why that's bad for the majority of his players, who exclusively play fortress mode. his development is not targeted toward improving fortress play simply because he doesn't know what's wrong with it through personal experience.

i think the steam version is going to force him to grapple with those sorts of considerations though. the actual game is increasingly unsuited to showcasing the depth of the simulation beneath it, as it stands

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I mean take butchering an animal. It'd be fine if you got bones, meat and then horns or tusks if the creature had them but instead you get like 15 different body parts, some of which have no purpose except to rot away. It's awesome you can see dwarfs are specifically eating stuff like donkey brains but I think I'd be willing to give that part up. Or the fact every single digit on every hand or foot have to be represented individually, and we also need to know what kind of coating is on every single one of them if they're dirty.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

does anyone really want to spend the majority of their time in a fortress churning out pants, shirts and shoes for 200+ dwarfs?

You do know about the manager and work orders, correct? You can automate that...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

At this point I think Toady is gonna Toady you're not wrong, of course, but history has shown that it's more likely we'll get a competitor doing stuff well (rimworld was so close...) than for him to do balance/tidy/etc passes.

Maybe this will change when he has paying customers and a distributor prodding him but we'll need to wait and see.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
A competitor is never going do anything better than "so close" IMO, the core dwarf-fortressness is a product of toady being toady and people can't just deliberately reproduce that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It is up to toady to build the universe for the bottle and when he finishes it's up to us to create the bottle that can play it at a reasonable speed.