Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Stream complete! Thanks for all the good levels everyone, it's always a blast.

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489897675

Levels played:

1. Mushroom Mines
By: ThisIsACoolGuy RW4-D70-GYF

2. SMV 7-1: Gusty Garden Galaxy
By: Dark Lich 6XT-X3C-PXF

3. MSS: Koopa Caper H1F-SDB-CQF
By: Too Shy Guy

4. SMV 7-2: Dimensional Drift
By: Dark Lich 8TY-56N-WMG

5. Deep Sea Base Assault
By: Tonberi BD4-8NC-50H

6. Frozen Passage
by: iL_cornuto GLS-5VW-K6G

7. Green Shift
By: May Contain Nuts KDL-GY6-0NF

8. SMV 7-3: Battlerock Barrage
By: Dark Lich BLC-LBJ-BLG

9. Spring Water
By: May Contain Nuts GLV-875-HYF

10. Underground Key Battle
By: Tonberi Q07-S9H-FTG

11. SMV 7-B: Molten Moonbase
By: Dark Lich 685-FVF-PKF

12. To the Spiky Tunnel Escapade
By: Good Sphere DCH-5WM-7HG

13. Terror Lake
By: Gnome Enthusiast 5NK-V77-GXG

14. Cannonball Clouds
By: Gnome Enthusiast QSW-SF8-8HG

15. Joker's Trick
By: Hitlersaurus Christ 47W-BHN-0WG

16. Skipsqueaks are Cute
By: Tonberi 41S-JBX-90G

Random acts of mario.

#835 Dry Dry Dunes Dig
By: Doomykins 9J7-36W-81G

#853 Slip Sliding Garbage Jamboreee
By: Neekberm L9F-1V8-6XF

#127 Repeating Riches
By: Sam Faust K5P-J5T-RHG

#1283 The Sinking Sky Continent Rev 2
By: Phantasium QPW-Y50-X8G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just wanted to say real fast, that my levels in MM1 are still circulating somehow (there are still people playing it wtf) and it finally happened

:v: I don't know why but I find this really funny that I finally got the ultimate badge thing.

Congrats! There are still people playing Splatoon 1 too, when the internet service is free there's gonna be people who stick around a community for a really, really long tail

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

OneMoreTime posted:

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489897675

12. To the Spiky Tunnel Escapade
By: Good Sphere DCH-5WM-7HG

OneMoreTime! Hey thanks for playing my level!

Edit: There is actually a secret in that level, which you spotted while playing in the video, but you need to approach from a different side.. and find and do other things in addition.

The secret though, will only benefit the time it takes to beat the level.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 4, 2019

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

OneMoreTime posted:

drat, I know how I missed that soft lock - I moved the block because it was too easy to get accidentally just bouncing off the goombas and I wanted people to notice the gap and figure it out, and I did that after checking the course with big mario. Lesson learned, I'll fix it and reupload it. Thanks for playing it anyway, and I'm glad you liked it otherwise!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just wanted to say real fast, that my levels in MM1 are still circulating somehow (there are still people playing it wtf) and it finally happened

:v: I don't know why but I find this really funny that I finally got the ultimate badge thing.

I just got a switch for Mario Maker 2, I played Mario Maker 1 up until like 2 weeks ago.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I made a couple of levels using procedural generation:

Ceiling of the Cow Cult
QVV-RYV-GGG
Collapsed Temple of the Cow Cult
WTR-W8R-T4G

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

I made a couple of levels using procedural generation:

Ceiling of the Cow Cult
QVV-RYV-GGG
Collapsed Temple of the Cow Cult
WTR-W8R-T4G

These were both quite different from the Marios I'm used to, but were challenging and fun. I am curious as to what the Cow Cult will be doing in the future.

Do you like dying a lot? Then do I have a stage for you!
D9X-PGH-SNG - Bowser's Nauseating Castle Spin to win! Spin jump across spinies and thwomps in a spikey castle, then receive a yoshi and ride it past the rising tomato soup to defeat giant Bowser and his magikoopa army! Tough platforming but rather short and decently checkpointed. If anybody has any feedback for this stage, it'd be appreciated! I tried to use coins and such to make it obvious where to go, and not do anything too horrible or difficult. Note: Bowser and his magikoopa army are not an actual obstacle, just hanging out at the goal. Edit: Oops the code was wrong.

tonberi fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 7, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Made a new Mario:

Who Stole My Goal?
Course ID: D1V-0HR-HQF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This was kind of the remnant of a different idea I had to sort of recreate the cartoon Duck Amuck in a Mario level. This went through several iterations as I had trouble coming up with anything to really compliment the gimmick and what I ended up with is mostly a pretty normal stage. I wanted to do something easier after my last course ended up in super expert so it shouldn't be too tough.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm finally streaming again in a few:
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton

Hop on in and share your latest or just hang out.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

What are some creative replacements for keys and locked doors? One I can think of is the pow block against any enemy that can be knocked down by them but also act as a barricade.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1178064648974852096

Here is Mario Solar System!

MSS-1
MSS: Koopa Caper
H1F-SDB-CQF
by Too Shy Guy

MSS-2
MSS: Blastoff!
1B7-CWB-DLF
by Last Visible Dog

MSS-3
MSS: Abductor Fleet
FLN-KW4-YPG
by Rhythmancer

MSS-4
MSS: Forward Processing Plant
T2T-113-4LG
by Tonberi

MSS-Fortress
Wreck The Replicators!
3RW-D05-F9G
by OneMoreTime

MSS-5
MSS: Nega-Zone Nightmare
9XL-30M-PRF
by Straight White Shark

MSS-6
MSS: Plunder Planets
37H-6SD-DDG
by ThisIsACoolGuy

MSS-7
MSS: Asteroid Mine Mission
GS7-741-QNG
by Macaluso

MSS Secret
MSS: Space Fortress A Baoa Koopa
PBX-0T9-RTG
by blakyoshi

MSS-8
MSS: Asteroid Processing Plant
MRT-TBH-T0H
by Phantasium

MSS-Castle
MSS: Conversion Core Crisis
71R-QF2-4HG
by Suspicious Cook

Streaming all of MSS unless I'm interrupted by online multiplayer. Tune in!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

EDIT: VOD is here - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/490383187

All levels beaten and all world records achieved!

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 5, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Good Sphere posted:

What are some creative replacements for keys and locked doors? One I can think of is the pow block against any enemy that can be knocked down by them but also act as a barricade.

Assuming you mean like, a way to bring players into a new room they couldn't see at all previously, something like this works

When the player approaches from the left, the screen stops scrolling at the stone wall, so they don't see the the bob-ombs, and when they hit the on/off block, the dotted line blocks behind the bob-ombs activate and cause them to blow up. It makes a 2-tile tall opening in the stone. The drawback is it creates two blue switch block tiles that make the opening awkward to navigate that the player has to hit the switch block again to get rid of, but you could probably get around that by being creative with how the opening works or, if you don't mind a delay between hitting the switch block and creating the opening, have podobos activated by the switch light the bob-ombs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/TheGamesCage/status/1180186280136568833

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
After clearing out my Switch backlog, I'm back on SMM2. I'm not happy enough with this level to make a splash image for it like I've been doing with my others (hit the part limit, couldn't come up with mechanisms to trigger some events I wanted to do), but I do like how the gimmicks that did work turned out.

Beware The Beasts Below
0PF 94B NLF

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What cockamamy bag rule is this

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Pakled posted:

Assuming you mean like, a way to bring players into a new room they couldn't see at all previously, something like this works

When the player approaches from the left, the screen stops scrolling at the stone wall, so they don't see the the bob-ombs, and when they hit the on/off block, the dotted line blocks behind the bob-ombs activate and cause them to blow up. It makes a 2-tile tall opening in the stone. The drawback is it creates two blue switch block tiles that make the opening awkward to navigate that the player has to hit the switch block again to get rid of, but you could probably get around that by being creative with how the opening works or, if you don't mind a delay between hitting the switch block and creating the opening, have podobos activated by the switch light the bob-ombs.

That’s really cool thanks. I’ve see this before, but it wasn’t obvious to me how it worked, and now I think I’ll use it in an upcoming level.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Anyone have any ideas on how to make any kind of danger that goes perfectly horizontally--like a bullet bill, but fast? Vertically is easy, I just have offscreen tracks eject an enemy from above. I could make horizontal tracks but I wouldn't be able to combine them with the vertical threat since something ejected from tracks above would latch on to the horizontal tracks below. Also, these are supposed to be in sealed rooms, so the threats kinda need to be able to go through walls.

Edit: I can stack boos onto a muncher on top of a winged block moving on tracks, place the winged block and tracks below the room, and get an effect pretty close to what I want, but that means I'd have to jump over all the horizontal threats, and not have any that must be avoided under.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 5, 2019

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Argue posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to make any kind of danger that goes perfectly horizontally--like a bullet bill, but fast? Vertically is easy, I just have offscreen tracks eject an enemy from above. I could make horizontal tracks but I wouldn't be able to combine them with the vertical threat since something ejected from tracks above would latch on to the horizontal tracks below. Also, these are supposed to be in sealed rooms, so the threats kinda need to be able to go through walls.

Edit: I can stack boos onto a muncher on top of a winged block moving on tracks, place the winged block and tracks below the room, and get an effect pretty close to what I want, but that means I'd have to jump over all the horizontal threats, and not have any that must be avoided under.

Can you stick piranha plants to the bottom of winged blocks?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
How long are the rooms? If they're only a screen or so red cannons would work.

Blue winged spike tops are sort of fast.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The rooms aren't even a full screen long; I'll give the blue winged spike tops a try. I'm not sure the piranha plant idea would work even if you could stick them to the bottom of the blocks, since you can't stack them downwards or extend their stems. But even half a screen is too wide for red cannons to fire anything clear across in a straight line; anything other than a bullet bill will arc because of gravity.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edit: I think I can do something with the blue winged spike tops; it would be best if I could come up with a mechanism to have them move in time with my other devices but we'll see. Actually, my idea probably isn't going to work out the more I think about it; vertical offscreen surprises require you to think fast, but horizontal offscreen surprises, you see coming way too far ahead of time.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 5, 2019

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I used random acts of mario to get some idea juices flowing, and I feel like I hit the jackpot! Gave me Bowser Jr. as an enemy type to use, so now I present to you:

8KK-PQF-S2G - Galoomba’s Grotto
Simple platforming with claws and galoombas. Will you even find Bowser Jr.? Defeat him to save Yoshi! Or... don’t.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Some more Mario's!

Spiky Hallway 8CB-FWW-2SF

Upon further playtesting, the [ ! ] block level I was making doesn't feel like a level. The sections don't really come together well, so I'm just turning each section into its own little level. This is the final jump.

Cuddlebug Ghost House G2S-CK0-VSF

My wife's first level! Or the first level I made while she sat next to me and told me where to put everything. She very much enjoyed the process so there will probably be more.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
The Great Chomp Plateau - L25-8LM-VWG - Today's fun fact: This was going to be called "The Great Chomp Steppe" until I looked up what a "steppe" was. Thanks for filling my head with random nouns, Nintendo.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So it seems red cannons won't fire when they're even one block offscreen. If I can't do that, is there a way to obscure them onscreen instead?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Argue posted:

So it seems red cannons won't fire when they're even one block offscreen. If I can't do that, is there a way to obscure them onscreen instead?

Would putting them on a track onscreen work? It would randomize them a bit even though you'd see them coming. Could even throw blocks on a track to randomly block them in front of them to randomize it a lil more.

Or on springs?

I asked in the discord, but I'll throw it out here as well, now that Playing With Friends is a thing, do we have a system for Playing With Goons? Everywhere seems pretty level creation focused at the moment.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Why not have a chill Sunday afternoon with some mediocre Mario play?
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

RodShaft posted:

Would putting them on a track onscreen work? It would randomize them a bit even though you'd see them coming. Could even throw blocks on a track to randomly block them in front of them to randomize it a lil more.

Or on springs?

Nah, randomization isn't what I'm after. What my idea was, was to drop someone in a series of rooms that look similar to this:

The idea is to give you a few moments to figure out where the safe zones are and rush to one before everything comes barreling in. The problem I'm having is that the only really effective danger I can make is stuff that comes from above. From the right side, I can use blue winged spike tops (though they don't go as fast as I'd like), but from the left, red cannons are the only thing I can think of to send at the player, and those don't function offscreen and can't be timed. From the bottom, I can have stuff poke in and out although unfortunately nothing that can go straight upwards.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

RodShaft posted:

Or on springs?

Nah, randomization isn't what I'm after. What my idea was, was to drop someone in a series of rooms that look similar to this:

The idea is to give you a few moments to figure out where the safe zones are and rush to one before everything comes barreling in. The problem I'm having is that the only really effective danger I can make is stuff that comes from above. From the right side, I can use blue winged spike tops (though they don't go as fast as I'd like), but from the left, red cannons are the only thing I can think of to send at the player, and those don't function offscreen and can't be timed. From the bottom, I can have stuff poke in and out although unfortunately nothing that can go straight upwards.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Here comes another Mario!

It's Cold Up There
QQQ-N42-4XF

This one's a SMB3 autoscroller. Watch out for hostile balloons.

edit: fixed a typo in the level code

blakyoshi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 9, 2019

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
So I’ve had this game for a while and just started to create courses.

Jungle Stack: NM3-PRQ-BMG

Themed course based around stacks of enemies. Jump over stacks of goombas and Monty moles, or crush ‘em beneath your feet!

Thwomp-iscle Course: LGP-1G2-WSF

Bowser’s castle is melting! Use icicles and thwomps to escape from falling icicles and thwomps!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 6 PM PDT

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Ceiling of the Cow Cult
BY: relevant Tangent QVV-RYV-GGG

2. Bowser's Nauseating Castle
By: Tonberi D9X-PGH-SNG

3. Collapsed Temple of the Cow Cult
By: Relevant Tangent WTR-W8R-T4G

4. Who Stole My Goal?
By: Jspot D1V-0HR-HQF

5. Beware The Beasts Below
By: Argue 0PF-94B-NLF

6. Galoomba's Grotto
By: Tonberi 8KK-PQF-S2G

7. Spiky Hallway
By: May Contain Nuts 8CB-FWW-2SF

8. The Great Chomp Plateau
By: Gnome Enthusiast L25-8LM-VWG

9. Cuddlebug Ghost House
By: May Contain Nuts G2S-CK0-VSF

10. Jungle Stack
By: Palmtree Panic NM3-PRQ-BMG

11. It's Cold Up There
By: Blakyoshi QQQ-N42-SXF

12. Thwomp-iscle Course
By: Palmtree Panic LGP-1G2-WSF

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

After some feedback from Little Mac, I have maked a new Mario:

QDK-0XR-71G - Thwomps in the Night
Use night ground thwomps to open the way and get to the goal! I wonder what the fastest time will be, this course was clearly meant for speedrunning.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

blakyoshi posted:

Here comes another Mario!

It's Cold Up There
QQQ-N42-$xF

This one's a SMB3 autoscroller. Watch out for hostile balloons.

I really enjoyed this level, using the bumpers as hot air balloons was an ingenious idea. A fun platforming level that felt really fresh.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And stream complete! Thank you once again for posting levels in the thread, and coming to hang out!

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/492085270

1. Ceiling of the Cow Cult
BY: relevant Tangent QVV-RYV-GGG

2. Bowser's Nauseating Castle
By: Tonberi D9X-PGH-SNG

3. Collapsed Temple of the Cow Cult
By: Relevant Tangent WTR-W8R-T4G

4. Who Stole My Goal?
By: Jspot D1V-0HR-HQF

6. Galoomba's Grotto
By: Tonberi 8KK-PQF-S2G

7. Spiky Hallway
By: May Contain Nuts 8CB-FWW-2SF

8. The Great Chomp Plateau
By: Gnome Enthusiast L25-8LM-VWG

9. Cuddlebug Ghost House
By: May Contain Nuts G2S-CK0-VSF

10. Jungle Stack
By: Palmtree Panic NM3-PRQ-BMG

11. It's Cold Up There
By: Blakyoshi QQQ-N42-SXF

12. Thwomp-iscle Course
By: Palmtree Panic LGP-1G2-WSF

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

OneMoreTime posted:

And stream complete! Thank you once again for posting levels in the thread, and coming to hang out!

Thanks for playing! To answer your question, chomps normally sink, and it took me forever to make because I had to manipulate them and tweak all the timings with springs and blocks. I actually hit the part limit for that level because I had to come up with mechanisms that would work in lava--normal shells wouldn't work, only dry bones shells, and since those 1. collapse upon hitting walls, and 2: float upwards in liquid, I had to use plenty of sideways springs to compensate. Other things I discovered that I couldn't use: thwomps can survive in lava, tornados survive but the wind doesn't come out unless they're actually poking out of the lava, cannons fire but not bill blasters.

If anyone wants to create mechanisms hidden under lava, my best advice is to do it in the forest theme first; you'll be able to swim around to verify how they work, and the physics are the same, although you need to be mindful about which parts will die in lava.

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 9, 2019

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

OneMoreTime posted:

Thanks for playing my levels. The way I made them was just dragging the create land pointer across the screen left to right moving up a block and dragging it back right to left. You have to skip any of the background elements or they get over-written. Then you figure out what enemies you want and match them to a background element, goombas/peach guys for mushrooms, dry-bones/piranha plants for the little ferns, vines for the large ferns, and then coins for the venerated cow skeletons. I had the piranha plants growing upside down which made them rightside-up, because I liked the effect. They're not terribly complicated levels once you decide what you want your enemies to be, but I like the kind of alien aesthetic they create. The other thing about them is that they have an effective maximum size that's much smaller because you quickly run out of placeable enemies.The Collapsed Temple level, if I re-made it I'd replace the goombas with the peach guys and make it feel less like enemies were raining on you from nowhere.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Here's another somethings Marios I've made:

SMQ-R15-BDG - Goomba Village
Find the key in the goomba village and enter the sleeping goomba's dreams to complete this course. Nighttime ground theme with some vertical platforming.

45N-108-J0G - Banzai ReBillion
Get through Bowser's castle during the Banzai Bill Rebellion! Platforming with multiple routes and a winged Bowser Jr. fight you maybe don't have to do.

tonberi fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 10, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is three pages back, so sorry for the necro, but how do I switch On/Off blocks in Edit mode? I've read some articles that claim tapping (or holding) the red On block will change it, but I cannot replicate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

This is three pages back, so sorry for the necro, but how do I switch On/Off blocks in Edit mode? I've read some articles that claim tapping (or holding) the red On block will change it, but I cannot replicate this.

When you hold on it you should see a selection menu open up and from there you select the blue block. That’s how it works for touch controls anyway.