Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PainterofCrap posted:

A hot tub...at a fair?!

The Copenhell metal festival here in Copenhagen used to have communal hot tubs in a viking-themed area.

Used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
We had a hot tub at my old place that heated to around body temps at the best of times and nobody got sick.. how did over 100 people get sick from just walking past one..? :raise:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cross post from the home buying thread...

Home inspection report came in. Dude was super thorough, which is great, but found a lot of stuff. Most of it is minor poo poo that I can handle easily, missing outlet covers, leaking drain, broken door handles. I've now discovered that a home owned by a little old lady really means shoddy maintenance and contractors taking advantage of her.

Notables

No window in a bedroom. Faces north. gently caress.

Dryer vent heats the basement. gently caress.

Registers not connected. gently caress.

Ventless space heater in a bedroom. You guessed it, gently caress.

Ahh, now I see why the lovely space heater. For the given climate the furnace is slightly less then what's needed.

So this is a serious lol. She built a garage too close to the property line. Then moved it 15 feet. Electrical was never re-installed.

All the garage doors are in need of serious adjustment.

And they roofed it terribly.

Which led to leaks.

Insulated walls. No insulation on ceiling. Lolwut.

How the gently caress does this even happen? Did the contractor cut it a foot too short?

It's ok. Just notch those floor joists. It's cool.

Eh. This looks bad but I think some gutters would take care of it.

Easy to fix, but makes me think of Groverhaus.

Concrete walkway sloping towards house. I see a concrete saw and drainage in my future.

The furnace, added window, and roofing is the main worry, all the other poo poo I can handle. Now I'm debating if I do anything about the offer or leave it as is knowing I'm going into it. And I just started feeling good about it all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yooper fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 5, 2019

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
There must be a serious upside or I would walk away from that house. Or cut a quarter of my price to cover repairs.

Also good swift job mods!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

good post otherwise

I'm jealous that you can do the stairs-behind-couch gag for real

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bees on Wheat posted:

We had a hot tub at my old place that heated to around body temps at the best of times and nobody got sick.. how did over 100 people get sick from just walking past one..? :raise:

I'm guessing that since it was just a display they didn't treat the water, but had the tub running and heating right into Legionella's ideal growth range.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OP, don't buy that house, I 1000% promise there are way more issues than what the inspector found.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Freaquency posted:

I'm guessing that since it was just a display they didn't treat the water, but had the tub running and heating right into Legionella's ideal growth range.

Also, hot tubs churn up the water so you might have droplets getting dispersed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Munin posted:

Also, hot tubs churn up the water so you might have droplets getting dispersed.

I could also see people leaning over and/or putting their hands in to feel the bubbles, then buying a hot dog..

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Bees on Wheat posted:

(I'm not exactly a microbiologist, but I work at a laboratory doing water hygiene inspections.)

Legionella likes water temperatures around the human body temperature. For home-use hot tubs that is not much of problem - you usually heat them up for a bath, then shut them down again for the day, stopping bacterial growth.

It sounds like the tub at the fair was kept at ideal growth conditions for several days - now that would have no problem if the water were just sitting there, but this tub probably had all sorts of water jets on display.

And Legionella is infamously spread by breathing water droplets and water vapor.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Bees on Wheat posted:

The scenario I'm imagining is that it's a display unit that is setup on a trailer and moved from site to site for demo which they don't flush out enough/ever and so water sits stagnant and it creates a potential growth environment. If you're on top of your water treatment you can limit the risks of of those conditions, but if not it's bound to be a problem eventually.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

OP, don't buy that house, I 1000% promise there are way more issues than what the inspector found.

We'll be moving on from this one. There were some other photos of foundation cracking, cracks in the ceiling, foggy windows, etc. I'm fairly certain it's settling in an odd way.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yooper posted:

We'll be moving on from this one. There were some other photos of foundation cracking, cracks in the ceiling, foggy windows, etc. I'm fairly certain it's settling in an odd way.

It's settling into a pile of rubble. Good call. I was thinking how you should cross post here this morning and was amused to see it. :toot:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yooper posted:

You're not going to win a Golden Grover with this attitude.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

By popular demand posted:

You're not going to win a Golden Grover with this attitude.

I hearby commission that someone make this award. The BeatmasterJ Award shall be the platinum award.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
"It's got what females like!"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

silicone thrills posted:

"It's got what females like!"

It's got mildew!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All primed for a yeast infection.:downsrim:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

I hearby commission that someone make this award. The BeatmasterJ Award shall be the platinum award.

That will be a Sisyphean task, due to required structural integrity issues inherent in the award's design.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PainterofCrap posted:

That will be a Sisyphean task, due to required structural integrity issues inherent in the award's design.

The award features a beacon that is illuminated when you press a button. Unfortunately the button also electrocutes you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The trophy is on a base of engineered beams that fall apart the moment you set it down.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wesleywillis posted:

The trophy is on a base of engineered beams that fall apart the moment you set it down.

The beams are also suspiciously white and gypsumy

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

trophy contains live termites

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Default Settings posted:

(I'm not exactly a microbiologist, but I work at a laboratory doing water hygiene inspections.)

Legionella likes water temperatures around the human body temperature. For home-use hot tubs that is not much of problem - you usually heat them up for a bath, then shut them down again for the day, stopping bacterial growth.

It sounds like the tub at the fair was kept at ideal growth conditions for several days - now that would have no problem if the water were just sitting there, but this tub probably had all sorts of water jets on display.

And Legionella is infamously spread by breathing water droplets and water vapor.

For home use hot tubs, they're usually kept at temperature and covered with an insulated top, because it costs too much energy to be always bringing them up to temp. But, those hot tubs keep the water cycling and thoroughly treated with chlorine and flocculants.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Synthbuttrange posted:

loadbearing stucco
I lived in a ~late 1800s timber loft on the second floor. One pillar dropped about four inches or so due to rotting wood at the basement. I could see into the unit next to me where the wall tore apart, some of kitchen cabinets fell off, etc.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Man, I meant that as sort of a rhetorical question but goons actually had some pretty good responses.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For home use hot tubs, they're usually kept at temperature and covered with an insulated top, because it costs too much energy to be always bringing them up to temp. But, those hot tubs keep the water cycling and thoroughly treated with chlorine and flocculants.

Usually. Our hot tub was an old piece of poo poo that came with the house (rental) and the cover didn't do a whole lot to keep it warm, so we only heated it up on occasion. Mostly just for parties and poo poo. I have no idea how much it would have cost to keep it running all the time, just that our one roommate was super weird about it so we just didn't use it all that often.

On the upside he at least kept the water treated and tested, though..

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
A malfunctioning hot tob in a rental shared with roommates. I think you just described the trifecta of ICK.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I can't remember which thread I originally saw this in but it definitely fits here. A Youtuber in Texas bought an unfinished McMansion that's been sitting open to the elements for around 20 years and is trying to renovate it into his family's home. He's got a playlist of videos showing his progress on the house (the link goes to video 3 because the first video two videos can be skipped without missing anything). In the latest video he's demolishing the exterior brick to see if any of the exterior wood can be salvaged (hint: nope!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqLzPMTv41A

He's collaborating with another Youtuber who's a construction professional who is posting videos about this place on his channel as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXXn2r9kTI

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus that seems like

a massive drain of time and money? oh god. :ohdear:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

I can't remember which thread I originally saw this in but it definitely fits here. A Youtuber in Texas bought an unfinished McMansion that's been sitting open to the elements for around 20 years and is trying to renovate it into his family's home. He's got a playlist of videos showing his progress on the house (the link goes to video 3 because the first video two videos can be skipped without missing anything). In the latest video he's demolishing the exterior brick to see if any of the exterior wood can be salvaged (hint: nope!):

He's collaborating with another Youtuber who's a construction professional who is posting videos about this place on his channel as well:

I know it makes bad television but this thing is so obviously a tear down. Is this Kastein's alter ego? Probably not because he's not living in it right now.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mr.Radar posted:

I don't know how to break it to him that just about anything built from the 1980s on is going to have the same issues with dissolving OSB sheathing at every exterior opening. Even if it was originally completely finished.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He has over 3m subscribers and that video has over 1 million views, the series will end up paying for the house.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mr.Radar posted:

I can't remember which thread I originally saw this in but it definitely fits here. A Youtuber in Texas bought an unfinished McMansion that's been sitting open to the elements for around 20 years and is trying to renovate it into his family's home.

This made me think of my uncle's house. About 15 years ago he bought this super weird property in rural Virginia where some guy planned to build his own house from scratch, but only got as far as the basement. There were a few little structures up top, but this guy and his family lived in an unfinished basement for 20+ years.

My uncle tore everything down and rebuilt over the basement. He's a contractor, so the house is beautiful now, but the layout is weird as heck because it's built on a foundation planned by a crazy person, and also because my uncle is very much not an architect.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Nevets posted:

A malfunctioning hot tob in a rental shared with roommates. I think you just described the trifecta of ICK.

Did I mention it had electrical issues too? :v:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

jesus that seems like

a massive drain of time and money? oh god. :ohdear:

The Dave posted:

He has over 3m subscribers and that video has over 1 million views, the series will end up paying for the house.

Yeah, this guy is one of those insanely popular people on Youtube you've never heard of because you're outside their target demographic. This is actually his tertiary channel, his other two channels about veterinary medicine and blowing poo poo up have 2.8 million and 7.2 million subscribers respectively. While this project is 100% a money pit feel free to enjoy it without feeling too bad because he will probably end up making money off the Youtube ad revenue in the end even if he decides to keep the place when it's done.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You ever see someone post a murder-suicide to youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-8v5d3mqY

You can see the Asbestos floating in the air. And that camera isn't on a tripod.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

he will probably end up making money off the Youtube ad revenue in the end even if he decides to keep the place when it's done.

If he doesn't keep it who would buy it after publicizing how lovely it is? It's like trying to sell a murder house without washing the blood off the walls.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 8, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

If he doesn't keep it who would buy it after publicizing how lovely it is? It's like trying to sell a murder house without washing the blood off the walls.

Key phrase "when it's done". This property sat on the market for like 10 years before he came along and bought it (at a steep discount from a probably already deeply discounted list) so he's probably well aware he could never sell it unfinished.

toplitzin posted:

You ever see someone post a murder-suicide to youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-8v5d3mqY

You can see the Asbestos floating in the air. And that camera isn't on a tripod.

The guy who posted the video says in the comments he had it tested for asbestos and it was asbestos free, though not mentioning that in the video itself is dangerous enough because other people will inevitably try it with their pure-asbestos tiles.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 8, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Everything is asbestos!", like "everything is tetanus!" is a very on-line-knowing-person stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

PainterofCrap posted:

I don't know how to break it to him that just about anything built from the 1980s on is going to have the same issues with dissolving OSB sheathing at every exterior opening. Even if it was originally completely finished.

His girlfriend (wife?) is so very visibly unenthusiastic and Not Thrilled about this purchase in that video, too. "No, this is your purchase" followed a couple minutes later by "I told him that if we were going to buy it and put that much work into it, I wanted to live in it. I figured this would shut him down. I was wrong."

If she stays with him through the whole project, I'm going to be shocked.