Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

We'll see how the next patch goes - I intend to grind/sand the ever living crap out of it, and then hit it with (non-chlorinated) brake cleaner, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Friend's car. Just a quick oil change on a Chevy Cruze.

Dropped the drain plug in the oil of course, and GM has it pointing straight down instead of to the side (so you're getting hot oil on your hands no matter what). Discovered my "Ecotec oil filter housing socket" doesn't fit the small Ecotecs - it's a 32mm, turns out a 24mm socket from my impact fits. Couldn't find my half inch ratchet, but I had a breaker bar handy.

At least it actually has the proper oil in it now (Mobil 1 5w30, which meets dexOS specs). Her BF gets oil from work usually - he's a diesel mechanic, so I assume it's been getting 15w40 or something like that. Not so great for that tiny turbo.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Finally got off my ever-widening rear end to replace the fender liner in the Accord.

Oh yeah, that won't do at all.

This time got some fresh clips to hold it in, since reusing the old ones is why I'm in this situation now. On closer examination the clips on these plugs are truly one way. Once they lock in, you're breakin' 'em out. Have I said in this post yet that I hate plastic panel clips? I hate plastic panel clips.

The replacement is obviously much cheaper than OE (lower quality plastic, no sound dampening material) but it covers everything that needs to be covered. For $25 at RockAuto I'm not complaining. Also I was short one fancy clip for the front, so the car got its inaugural zip tie, and it is now well and truly My Car. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I like my '70 Cutlass. It has actual 3/8" hex headed sheet metal screws holding the liners in. My '90 RX-7 had a few clips, but it was mostly secured by several 6mm (10mm head) bolts. The proliferation of plastic push pins is annoying.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Downside of clips is they break easy, upside is they're very cheap and easy to replace when that happens. I bought a big bag of them on Amazon for next to nothing and I usually just replace them any time I have to take a panel off. Even on my non-rust-belt C10, some of the sheetmetal screws had fused to the speednuts and ruined each other when I removed the fender liners; I got lucky that those were in the easiest to access areas. With a plastic clip gone bad, just break it more.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The annoying bit about the Accord is it seems to use a variety of pushpins, so the few I had were enough to work but not a complete set (hence the zip tie). From the look of it the pin that holds the liner to the bumper cover is a large and rather proprietary one. :sigh:

Also I discovered the mudflap doohickey is collecting fine dust underneath it at quite a rate

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ran over a bolt on Thursday which neatly punched a hole in a tyre on the Rav4. Looks like it was an M8 with a flanged head by the impression. Dead on. Just like a hole punch. also noticed a repetitive bass thump that whole day, even before the puncture.
Drove it again yesterday. The car started to get a pronounced wobble at low speed and vibration at higher speed. After getting home at night I went out with the torch and had a look. There was a "bubble" about 1/3 the width of the tyre and maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the way around. I only spotted it because of where the dirt from the driveway had stuck. So I drove about 600km on that!

Swapped out the offroad wheels for the road wheels with commercial tyres on the Niva today. I did it because I haven't had a chance to go offroad in a long time, and also fuel economy. It looks weird to me now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saturn is supposedly sold, for $320. Not quite as much as what I wanted, but more than I expected. Subject to inspection, but I'm hoping the new set of (downright decent) tires will offset the mechanical issues.

Junkyards were offering $100-$175 to pick it up. Went through Peddle, their initial offer was $175. Adding photos bumped it to $320, then I got a call from someone with Peddle asking about mechanical issues, saying they wanted to get an idea of any issues before going higher. I was honest with them, offer stayed where it was. The body is in pretty good shape aside from paint and a small crack in the front bumper, interior is fair (headliner stained and falling down, seats worn out, but no tears in the seats), plus the fuel leaks.

I'd probably fix it if it didn't have multiple electrical issues (almost all BCM related) and a dying gearbox. I can tackle a fuel line. I can tackle a fuel pump (which the closest Chevy dealer refuses to do despite the "enhanced warranty" covering the exact issue it has), and the AC still blows ice cold. It's also blowing a decent amount of blue smoke on a cold start when it's been sitting more than a couple of days (bad enough that I get a flashing CEL and a wicked miss for a minute or so).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

My condolences. Always an ouchie moment but your mind and body will thank you for it after a while.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

My condolences. Always an ouchie moment but your mind and body will thank you for it after a while.

I mean... it's a bit over half of what I dropped on the tires. :sigh: But the car is well and truly worn out, the AC and cooling system are about all that's in decent shape. I couldn't sell it to an individual in good faith (and anytime I toss a super beater on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, the first thing people ask is "how long are the tags good for"... when I'm not giving them the plates).

I'd just buy another car that uses the same size tires, but very few cars still use 15" tires. Then I have to pay someone to swap tires between two cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't think you would have been too far behind if you had just kept the wheels and tires and called a scrapper to put it out of it's misery.

saturn wheels are 4 on 100 and should fit 4 bolt BMWs and neons and civics and priusies.

then again you would then be tripping over the wheels all the time and limiting your future shopping options by bolt pattern.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Scrappers were only offering $75-100 WITH wheels and tires to pick it up, and nothing without the wheels (some even said they'd charge). Plus I live in an apartment complex - I'd have to shove it into the garage to yank the wheels off, then have it dragged out of the garage (which would gogue the poo poo out of the floor, which means not only bye bye deposit, but bye bye anything they spend fixing the floor).

And yeah, I'm trying to upgrade to something significantly newer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

1) Quit beating yourself up. Not everyone has a farm, an engine hoist, lifts, storage, etc. to part a car out. The car was done, yet you have sunk cost in the tires. Understandable. Happens to us all. When I redid the suspension on our Mazda including struts it was basically totalled two weeks later. Yee haw.

2) You have good scruples based on what you said and your previous posts in regards to not loving people over.

3) Anyways, my sympathies. Hope you end up with something you like. And with my item #2, you can sleep a little better at night.

Take care.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Got the oil change done on the Camry.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

STR posted:

Saturn is supposedly sold, for $320. Not quite as much as what I wanted, but more than I expected. Subject to inspection, but I'm hoping the new set of (downright decent) tires will offset the mechanical issues.

Junkyards were offering $100-$175 to pick it up. Went through Peddle, their initial offer was $175. Adding photos bumped it to $320, then I got a call from someone with Peddle asking about mechanical issues, saying they wanted to get an idea of any issues before going higher. I was honest with them, offer stayed where it was. The body is in pretty good shape aside from paint and a small crack in the front bumper, interior is fair (headliner stained and falling down, seats worn out, but no tears in the seats), plus the fuel leaks.

I'd probably fix it if it didn't have multiple electrical issues (almost all BCM related) and a dying gearbox. I can tackle a fuel line. I can tackle a fuel pump (which the closest Chevy dealer refuses to do despite the "enhanced warranty" covering the exact issue it has), and the AC still blows ice cold. It's also blowing a decent amount of blue smoke on a cold start when it's been sitting more than a couple of days (bad enough that I get a flashing CEL and a wicked miss for a minute or so).

Don't beat yourself up. I wish more people were at honest with each other and themselves as you are.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I washed it (for the first time this year). Also oil change and spent an hour trying to figure out what's causing my right front clunk. Also discovered a torn CV boot as I'm about to leave for a road trip, so I'll be ignoring that for the next 1000 miles I guess.

Also an axle seal leak, which is good because I'll be pulling the axle out anyways :v:

and it's still gorgeous underneath

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 7, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

spent an hour trying to figure out what's causing my right front clunk. Also discovered a torn CV boot as I'm about to leave for a road trip, so I'll be ignoring that for the next 1000 miles I guess.

Give or take :haw:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I forgot. Did the starter solenoid on the Niva recently. Bastard coated bastard of a job. Took many hours over three days. The worst jobs on an RHD Niva are starter and steering box related. Want to guess which parts are a couple of cm apart in a small space with no easy access from above and below?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sold this.

Bought this.

To join its elder stablemate

And because I bought a BMW a window regulator immediately poo poo the bed and the valve cover gasket needs to be done. I also discovered that it is a lot more involved than the cover on the S52.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 7, 2019

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Swapped in XP10 front brake pads (was runing Carbotech's street Bobcat / 1521 pad). They work fine at low temps but are noisy for street use, and I don't think I'd want to run these for daily use but they're fine for a few days surrounding a track event. Assuming Carbotech's marketing is correct and I can swap between their compounds without changing anything on the rotors, it's not a big deal (with Brembos) to swap pads for an event.

I'll find out next weekend if they're better than stock pads at handing 3-4 100-40 braking events per 2 minute lap.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

After another 1500km outback adventure last week the shocks under the landcruiser are totally hosed- I get 5 mins out of em on anything but dead smooth brand new tar and the rebound dampening disappears (and the compression fucks off about 10 mins after that!), so I decided to bite the bullet and finally step up to a higher end shock, so I've ordered 4x full remote reservoir adjustable shocks for the thing. Went with Superior Engineering's offerings at $380 a corner because they're manufactured by Profender anyway, are fully rebuildable and tuneable and im not Blake Wilkey and arent going to yeet this thing off 4' ledges on a regular basis. Plus I can buy THREE sets of the Profender shocks for the same price as ONE set of Kings here in Australia!

Cant wait to get em- Gonna be novel not to shatter my spine running over an ant on the road.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

ThirstyBuck posted:

And because I bought a BMW a window regulator immediately poo poo the bed and the valve cover gasket needs to be done. I also discovered that it is a lot more involved than the cover on the S52.

Now it officially belongs to you.

What engine is in that? I recently did the valve cover gasket on the N54 in my 335i (my window regulator also went out within a couple weeks of buying it). That wasn't the most pain in the rear end repair I've ever done, but definitely involved and time consuming.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nice to see a fellow Stihl backpack leaf blower owner.

Edit and hazard a guess...Magnum 600?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 7, 2019

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sup BR600 buddy! I got mine for free cos it was a bastard to start and then would run for 5 mins and die and never start again. Replaced the fuel line to the primer button cos it had split and replaced the muffler cos it had been run on 25:1 it’s entire life and the carbon layer inside the muffler was flaking off and blocking up the spark arrester and it runs like a top now.

If my leaf blower can’t lift pavement on a hot day, I don’t wanna blow leaves

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You did good.

I love when I get the leaves "arranged", then set it and lock at full throttle. She's a thirsty girl though. Not a fan of the straps, in fact right before I read your post I was looking up if there was a chest strap for the thing because it is getting in prime duty time. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

You did good.

I love when I get the leaves "arranged", then set it and lock at full throttle. She's a thirsty girl though. Not a fan of the straps, in fact right before I read your post I was looking up if there was a chest strap for the thing because it is getting in prime duty time. :v:

They do- They make a hip AND chest strap for them!

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/blower-accessories/blowerbelt/

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...Chest-belt.aspx

We've got the BR700 at work that comes with the extra straps and it is SO much nicer to use than the BR600 with the standard harness- and we'll run em 2-3hrs straight at a time (except for fuel breaks)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

How does that hip belt attach?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well to follow-up on this engrossing saga, got the chest belt from the local dealer (think of a mom/pop type place). They didn't know about hip belt in regards to BR600 but then mentioned that yeah, all this crap is the BR700. I'll ask Stihl.

So while they were finding my chest belt they had a BR800 on the shelf that I took a look at. Cripes, looks like it was designed to blow a house off its foundation.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

nadmonk posted:

Now it officially belongs to you.

What engine is in that? I recently did the valve cover gasket on the N54 in my 335i (my window regulator also went out within a couple weeks of buying it). That wasn't the most pain in the rear end repair I've ever done, but definitely involved and time consuming.

So predictably BMW. It’s an N52. I haven’t done it yet but it looks like it takes a lot more time than the older motor but as you said not super difficult apart from the valvetronic motor business reset.

E:

Colostomy Bag posted:

It’s a BR600. I postponed getting a new blower way too long. No regrets. It’s a beast and rips from the first pull. The backside of my house is also a forest so I use it all the time.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 9, 2019

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Powershift posted:

Give or take :haw:

:colbert:

50 minutes flat, including getting it on and off stands. Rust-free cars are insane. Everything in that picture is factory except the endlink and new axle.

The balljoint pinch bolt is torx and a hex nut, which came right off. And then I pushed the bolt out of the knuckle with my finger instead of spinning it with an impact while hammering the other side like usual.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 9, 2019

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The Integra was a New England car to start and it shows. Pulling anything off without divine intervention is near impossible.

I went to a pick-n-pull for some odds and ends a few years ago and was stunned at how easily I could pull everything off with just a ratchet and regular wrenches. It was glorious

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

:colbert:

50 minutes flat, including getting it on and off stands. Rust-free cars are insane. Everything in that picture is factory except the endlink and new axle.

The balljoint pinch bolt is torx and a hex nut, which came right off. And then I pushed the bolt out of the knuckle with my finger instead of spinning it with an impact while hammering the other side like usual.

Ugh

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Don't worry, it's Ohio. All the other cars here are shitpiles. I get my comeuppance on a regular basis.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Replaced it.

Good riddance Saturn, I won't miss you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nice!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suburban Dad posted:

I attempted to put on a trailer hitch. The rear frame rails have tapped holes for the factory hitch I'm guessing, and the passenger side is totally exposed... 2012 car in Michigan means the holes are pretty rusty. I bought a tap to chase them but we'll see how that goes... Next time. :effort:

Took a tap to the other side and eventually found threads. One hole went super smooth, the other I had to drill a tiny bit and struggle with for an hour. Then the hitch went on in about 10 minutes once they were cleaned up, of course.

Also cut a board to size that I had laying around to mount a fork mount to for my mountain bike. Sanded it and then sprayed it black. I did the underside with rubberized undercoating to hopefully prevent it from moving around much. There's not much to mount it to otherwise. It's going to go in the rear cargo area (pretty awesome to be able to put the bike inside where it's a little safer from thieves) and will be easily removable.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

STR posted:

Replaced it.

Good for you. Now you get to live in the land of cognitive dissonance for a few days second guessing your choice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

And with my luck, I'll get to practice EJ253 swaps.

Hopefully that doesn't wind up being true, but it definitely pisses oil. I have a feeling I should probably pull a kastein and have an engine ready to slam in (because with my luck, having a spare ready to go means I'll never need to use it). Upside is it looks like they used a Gates timing belt (at least, the timing belt replacement sticker says Gates). It looks like it was pretty well taken care of until the last owner got it, Carfax shows they had it for a whopping 5k miles. Also shows a Subaru dealer did the alternator replacement (explains why it has a new OEM alternator), I suspect they did the typical dealer thing and made a long list of everything it needs to be like new. Which probably caused the owner to NOPE out of it. Carfax shows Austin Subaru did the work, and it had an Austin Subaru license plate filler on it.

It's a 2003, of course it's going to need work. Especially for $2k out the door at a dealer when they originally wanted $2500 + TTL.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 10, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Replaced it.

Same colors as mine! Mine just has the gold accents on the wheels and markings, because ~*VDC*~. Also, I have the dual sunroofs, which is actually nice, but now I have to worry more about hail.
Did you know that there was only one color in those years that you could get the car in monotone? The grey that our lower cladding is was available on the rest of the car, so it could end up all one color that way. Otherwise, it was always an upper color plus grey or gold on the lower.
I see yours is missing the front license plate bracket, too.
Leather or fabric innards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My wife complained about the FXT smelling horrible today...