Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Same rich bill thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
One weird trick is that a lot of our working class can't actually vote.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for September:

world
racist

you're
bill
still

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Urcher posted:

bill

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idiot, unless strong.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Big Racist World

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

JBP posted:

One weird trick is that a lot of our working class can't actually vote.

the part where it's way easier to throw your vote away than it is to not throw your vote away doesn't help

the part where people insist on grandstanding, instead of voting for a palatable option and then drawing a dick on the ballot, also doesn't help

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Big Racist Kids

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
thread way white, why?
sorry, libs face

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
BOTH BAD

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

https://outline.com/Vv5Hpm

Bob Brown's convoy hurt Labor, says Richard Di Natale

quote:

"The reason is didn't help Labor was because the Labor Party refused to take a clear position," Dr Di Natale said in an interview.

I mean yeah, they tried to be pro and anti Adani to different audiences at the same time and nobody bought it so...

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
https://australiatalks.abc.net.au/

My personal highlights according to this probably very flawed, slightly-better-than-a-Buzzfeed-quiz:

- 66% of people think political correctness has gone too far
- 55% of people think you shouldn't be allowed to say discriminatory things in public
- 75% of people think there's a lot of racism in Australia
- 93% of Australians think we should show more respect towards each other
- 56% of people think white Australians have an unfair advantage in Australia
- 66% of people think Australia should do more to address injustices against Indigenous Australians
- 43% of people think we should change the date of Australia Day
- 63% of men think changing gender expectations have made life harder for men (compared to 57% of women)
- 52% of men think women are treated equally in society (compared to 25% of women)

Now, there's an obvious level of self-selection in this quiz (i.e. people who will do long quizzes on the ABC because they have nothing better to do on a Monday night). I'd be interested to see a breakdown by state to see if we could objectively conclude the worst state, but I don't think that's an option. Anyway, do it and find out what percent more left-wing you are than most of the country.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
'How confident are you that you will have enough money to retire comfortably'

*mashes the not applicable button*

:v:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Ngl I laughed

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

*incoherent screaming*

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Whitlam posted:

- 63% of men think changing gender expectations have made life harder for men (compared to 57% of women)

My friends take on it: Australian men: "It's harder being a dude now that I'm expected to do 1/3rd of the housework instead of none of it"

The thing that shits me is it's always framed in terms of dudes "losing" something while everyone conveniently ignores that it never should have been theirs to begin with.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/JadeMacmillan1/status/1179920718680580096

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Whitlam posted:

The only way this makes sense to me is people think they should be given respect but aren't particularly interested in putting effort into respecting others.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Urcher posted:

Billy McBilliamson Bill

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Send me into the infinite annihilation

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Remind me why Shorten was axed? Is it a rule if you rule a fed election you're out?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hooman posted:

*incoherent screaming*

In the US there was a similar question trap, something like:

"we should accept more Christian refugees" and "we should accept more refugees from South America" which in a lot of ways are the same question but got completely different responses.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Remind me why Shorten was axed? Is it a rule if you rule a fed election you're out?

They believe that you get loser stink on you.
Didn't hurt Nixon though.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Stoca Zola posted:

The only way this makes sense to me is people think they should be given respect but aren't particularly interested in putting effort into respecting others.

There's another option, imo.
"Please respect my right to be not white/not male/not straight."
"Please respect my right to be a bigot."

Pile Of Garbage posted:

It's not a rule, but it is an expectation when you lose two elections in a row, and iirc he said he'd step down if he lost.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Pilgrims entering an exclusive club

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

Pilgrims entering an exclusive club

You can see the beginnings of till erosion.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Holy poo poo at calling them pilgrims. Just wow

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

It's all about how you perform versus expectations.

Labor didn't win in 2016, but no-one expected them to and they got so close that Turnbull practically cried on election night. Labor had momentum as an opposition that they used to keep pressure on the government in the years after.

2019 was practically a write off election for the Coalition and yet Shorten led Labor into failure. In politics it's really hard for someone to rebuild their public support after getting failure stench on them.

The same thing happened with Corbyn, when May called the snap election everyone expected her to increase the Tory vote, but Corbyns Labor massively outperformed expectations so he got to stay around in the hope their upward trend would continue. If he loses the next election then he'll be out straight away.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

My friends take on it: Australian men: "It's harder being a dude now that I'm expected to do 1/3rd of the housework instead of none of it"

The thing that shits me is it's always framed in terms of dudes "losing" something while everyone conveniently ignores that it never should have been theirs to begin with.

Part of me was hoping this was a sign of certain segments of the male population waking up to toxic masculinity, and the damaging expectations placed upon men by men to be a certain kind of men.

But nah it's totally this isn't it :negative:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Don Dongington posted:

Part of me was hoping this was a sign of certain segments of the male population waking up to toxic masculinity, and the damaging expectations placed upon men by men to be a certain kind of men.

But nah it's totally this isn't it :negative:

it is absolutely a 50/50 split of "can't believe i have to wash the dishes now or maybe even *gasp* vacuum sometimes , that's women's work!" and "can't even leer at a sheila to the point it makes her feel uncomfortable or make inappropriate comments to strangers without being told it's sexual harassment these days, #metoo has gone too far!" and not any kind of awareness about the societal issues actually affecting men

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

hooman posted:

*incoherent screaming*

It's "Everyone should respect me", not "I should respect others"

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I guess it also depends on whether we define "respect" as something akin to "deference to authority" or as "acknowledgement of another person's basic humanity".

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
Just wanna say that nobody should organize a night-out with the express purpose of inviting JBP and then beating and robbing him.

That'd be wrong and bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will bring the Macedonians and outmaneuver you.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
An NBA guy said Hong Kong protesters were good

https://twitter.com/daCultDude/status/1181348666210013186

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

gotta poo posted:

Just wanna say that nobody should organize a night-out with the express purpose of inviting JBP and then beating and robbing him.

That'd be wrong and bad.

invite mills and don't rob him too

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Driving your father's hearse drifting sounds awesome.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gotta poo posted:

That'd be wrong and bad.
depends whether he is buying me $45 mains or not

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Food delivery platform DoorDash has been accused of signing up restaurants without their permission in an aggressive land grab in Australia.

The biggest food delivery platform in the United States has 300,000 restaurants on its books in the United States but its tactics since launching in Australia just over a month ago have angered some restaurant and cafe owners.

Luke Lucas, co-owner of Foddies Cafe in Camberwell, said he only realised his cafe had been signed up to the platform last week when a delivery driver turned up.

"We were hounded for months to sign up but never agreed to it," Mr Lucas said. "We don't use delivery services as it is and aren't interested in starting with new or existing ones."

The online food delivery market in Australia was valued at $US939 million ($1.3 billion) for 2019 in a Deloitte report for Uber Eats, the dominant player in the market alongside Deliveroo.

DoorDash's general manager in Australia, Thomas Stephens, said the platform had offered to act as a "courier service" for customers to restaurants in their neighbourhood, and restaurants could request removal from the platform.

Mr Lucas said he received a call from DoorDash saying an order had been received and a driver, known as a 'dasher', had been sent to pick up the order.

Foddies staff asked the driver to pay for the meal which he did before they made the food, gave it to the driver and requested removal from the platform.

"The main concern is really around business practices and behaviour," Mr Lucas said. "I understand it's a competitive market and they are trying to penetrate it but going behind our backs and essentially trying to force our hand is entirely wrong."

E-Gene Soh, co-founder of Jack B Nimble cafe in Maidstone, said the cafe was contacted by DoorDash a couple of months ago and received "lots of emails" but never signed up.

Nevertheless, Jack B Nimble received a call from DoorDash saying someone had ordered food from the cafe on the platform and to have it ready for collection.

"We don't know what is happening, there is no contract," Mr Soh said. "I am worried about a customer getting our food and if it is cold or they get sick I am not sure who is responsible."

Mr Stephens said when DoorDash acts as a "courier service" for customers, the listing was at no cost to restaurants as delivery drivers had a card they used to pay for the orders.

"Should a restaurant not want to be included in this service, we will remove them from our listings immediately upon being notified, and work closely with the owners for their business needs," he said.

"We have had informative, enlightening conversations with restaurateurs who expressed concern, and we are actively seeking out restaurants to better understand their needs and move forward in helping them grow."

Mr Stephens declined to say how many restaurants and cafes the food delivery platform had signed up so far.

"[In the United States] we really sought and pursued the right merchants first and partnered deeply with those merchants to grow their business," he said.

Mr Stephens said DoorDash was focusing outside the inner city where Uber Eats and Deliveroo are dominant.

"The part that's under-served is the suburbs... and that's where we've worked to really push quickly, to get out there where we're really not having to compete as much to just give a great product."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

ungulateman posted:

the part where it's way easier to throw your vote away than it is to not throw your vote away doesn't help

the part where people insist on grandstanding, instead of voting for a palatable option and then drawing a dick on the ballot, also doesn't help

Palatable according to who?